Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Why does the government reward bludgers? (Read 6287 times)
TheGreenLight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Why does the government reward bludgers?
Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:44pm

I turn 65 soon, and i am not entitled to receive a pension. I have saved all my life, and apparently too much, I can live off of the money and Super that I have saved over the years. I know people who have blown all of their money, or at least a lot of it, and they get $20,000 a year from the taxpayer, and I get bigger all. Both sides do this, Labor and the Coalition. Why is this? Where is the incentive to save, where is the incentive to be prudent and wise with your money? Why do we reward those who waste their money? bugger I have completely lost it with all sides of politics in this country.

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Re: Why does the government reward bludgers?
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 8:31pm

TheGreenLight wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:44pm:
I turn 65 soon, and i am not entitled to receive a pension. I have saved all my life, and apparently too much, I can live off of the money and Super that I have saved over the years. I know people who have blown all of their money, or at least a lot of it, and they get $20,000 a year from the taxpayer, and I get bigger all. Both sides do this, Labor and the Coalition. Why is this? Where is the incentive to save, where is the incentive to be prudent and wise with your money? Why do we reward those who waste their money? bugger I have completely lost it with all sides of politics in this country.

And yet you get a decreased tax rate on super payments.
You can earn 50K a year and still recieve the health care card regardless if you recieve 100K from super investments as thats not means tested.
But yeah you get nothing.
Your full of crap or have won the money because you obvilously haven't been bothered to look into your entitlements COVERED BY THE TAXPAYER.

REBELLION is not what most people think it is.
REBELLION is when you turn off the TV & start educating & thinking for yourself.
Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

TheGreenLight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 8:40pm

Dsmithy70 wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 8:31pm:

And yet you get a decreased tax rate on super payments.
You can earn 50K a year and still recieve the health care card regardless if you recieve 100K from super investments as thats not means tested.
But yeah you get nothing.
Your full of crap or have won the money because you obvilously haven't been bothered to look into your entitlements COVERED BY THE TAXPAYER.

Full of crap, you say? Why am I not entitled to the age pension, when a bloke that I know who lived well beyond his means is? How is that any fair? I was livid when told that I didn't qualify. What was the point of me saving my money? I thought that both sides of government were trying to encourage people to save their money? Funny way of showing it.  Angry

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 8:41pm

All good points, but I'm not so sure about people wasting their money etc.

You, like me, are one of the Baby Boomers.  There are zillions of us and we are causing a transitional nightmare.  Few of us have meaningful 'super,' because it was not compulsory when we were making any worthwhile money.  It was only later in our working life that the 'super' came along, so we are behind the eight ball......with Super.

Only one other alternative, which is the Aged Pension.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 8:47pm

What of those that couldn't put any aside because they were never paid enough to? Yep, they blew all their money because they had no choice, saving or eating, tough choice. If you could save enough that you don't get the pension, thank your lucky stars you were not on minimum wage for your working life. How about you donate all your savings and property to charity, then you can try and live on 20k a year paying rent.

My heart bleeds for you. Cry

IP Logged

TheGreenLight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:01pm

[ftp][/ftp]Aussie wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 8:41pm:

You, like me, are one of the Baby Boomers.  There are zillions of us and we are causing a transitional nightmare.  Few of us have meaningful 'super,' because it was not compulsory when we were making any worthwhile money.  It was only later in our working life that the 'super' came along, so we are behind the eight ball......with Super.

I understand where you're coming from, but let me give you an example. A bfriend of mine and i earned roughly the same amount of money all our lives. He had to have the best of everything. Every time we'd go out for lunch or dinner he'd order one of the most expensive meals on the menu. He wasted his money like it was going out of his fashion, and hardly saved a dime. I scrimped and saved all my life, when I was married and when I was single. Now that he's blown his, he is entitled to taxpayer money at the rate of $20,000 a year. I am entitled to stuff all.

IP Logged

ImSpartacus2
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:02pm

TheGreenLight wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 8:40pm:
I was livid when told that I didn't qualify. What was the point of me saving my money?
Sorry you saying after years of paying into super and saving you only realised when you turned 65 that you were ineligible for the age pension.  Maybe they should make an exception for you. Sounds like you might need all the help you can get.    

IP Logged

TheGreenLight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:02pm

Setanta wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 8:47pm:

What of those that couldn't put any aside because they were never paid enough to? Yep, they blew all their money because they had no choice, saving or eating, tough choice. If you could save enough that you don't get the pension, thank your lucky stars you were not on minimum wage for your working life. How about you donate all your savings and property to charity, then you can try and live on 20k a year paying rent.

My heart bleeds for you. Cry

Missing the point. If you want to see it, refer to my previous answer.

IP Logged

TheGreenLight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:03pm

ImSpartacus2 wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:02pm:
I was livid when told that I didn't qualify. What was the point of me saving my money?
Sorry you saying after years of paying into super and saving you only realised when you turned 65 that you were ineligible for the age pension.  Maybe they should make an exception for you. Sounds like you might need all the help you can get.    

Another one missing the point.

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:12pm

Like our treasurer says
The age of entitlement is over
You want the pension so bad, blow all your savings travelling and buying usless crap this year and you can line up next year.
Just don't come back whining it a choice between buying the electricity bill or eating next winter.

Your parents would be ashamed of your attitude.

REBELLION is not what most people think it is.
REBELLION is when you turn off the TV & start educating & thinking for yourself.
Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:13pm

TheGreenLight wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:01pm:
[ftp][/ftp]Aussie wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 8:41pm:

I understand where you're coming from, but let me give you an example. A bfriend of mine and i earned roughly the same amount of money all our lives. He had to have the best of everything. Every time we'd go out for lunch or dinner he'd order one of the most expensive meals on the menu. He wasted his money like it was going out of his fashion, and hardly saved a dime. I scrimped and saved all my life, when I was married and when I was single. Now that he's blown his, he is entitled to taxpayer money at the rate of $20,000 a year. I am entitled to stuff all.

You have it better than your friend now, you don't get what he gets because you do not need it. Welfare is supposed to be needs based. Sure, have a thorn in your toe, but would you really trade places with him now? Perhaps you want him to suffer a bit, guaranteed on the OAP he will be, it's not cream.

As Aussie said, super was not even there for most people, it only came in, introduced by Labor as a trade off to wage rises, in 1991?(I think) so most people, unless they were pretty well off had a well justified expectation that the pension would look after them. That's not the case, the OAP sucks and is barely liveable if you are married and pay rent, if you are single I hope the bridges in your area are not too drafty.

Think about all those not like your friend.. And why didn't you tell him off back then and tell him he was a bludger.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:21pm

TheGreenLight wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:03pm:

OK, what is the point? Everyone should get it? Let's have a Guaranteed National Income that everyone gets from 18 onwards that you collect till you die. Would you be prepared to pay the taxes whilst working to support it? Welfare is needs based, get over it or donate away what you have and live like a pauper on the OAP.

IP Logged

john_g
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:28pm

I couldn't agree more with the OP.

But GreenLight, don't expect the idiots on here to realise the logic that you demonstrated.

I know all too well about cases like this.

IP Logged

john_g
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:29pm

Setanta wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:21pm:

OK, what is the point? Everyone should get it? Let's have a Guaranteed National Income that everyone gets from 18 onwards that you collect till you die. Would you be prepared to pay the taxes whilst working to support it? Welfare is needs based, get over it or donate away what you have and live like a pauper on the OAP.

Needs based?

Like the Polly superanniation schemes?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:32pm

john_g wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:29pm:
Setanta wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:21pm:

Needs based?

Like the Polly superanniation schemes?

Lol, you think I agree with polly super? Put them on the same standards as everyone else. Polly super does not come under "welfare". Lucky for them Costello made sure they will be fine with his "Future Fund". Why else do you think he did it? I personally think they should open the fund to OAPs rather than just public servants or pollies should make do with the OAP, WHEN they turn retirement age like everyone else.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print