Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Should Shops Open On Boxing Day. (Read 2340 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Should Shops Open On Boxing Day.
Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:04am

Treasurer Mike Baird favours allowing all shops to open on Boxing Day

Date
    March 13, 2014

Treasurer Mike Baird is committed to allowing all shops to open on Boxing Day, despite protest rallies staged by church and union leaders who believe the move will lead to retail staff being forced to work on Christmas Day and Easter.   Huh          

Mr Baird said his plan would bring NSW into line with other states and would remove inconsistencies in areas designated as tourist trading precincts. This has meant towns such as Shellharbour can open on public holidays but nearby Wollongong cannot. Similarly, shops in Maitland can trade on public holidays but those in Newcastle are prevented.      Sad

Mr Baird said the loss of trade for shops not included in designated zones was discriminatory and gave some retailers an unfair competitive advantage.

"It makes no sense that around a third of the state can trade on Boxing Day following exemptions for 'tourist trading precincts' approved by previous governments, but the rest cannot,'' he said.      Sad

Christian Democrats leader Fred Nile said he had been ''sounded out'' about the government proposal, but would not support it in the upper house. ''We don't want to give them an inch,'' Mr Nile said.

Ministers of religion and union leaders presented Mr Nile with a letter they have jointly signed that asks Premier Barry O'Farrell to guarantee that retail trading hours will not be extended to include Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Boxing Day and Anzac Day. Ministers from the Anglican, Catholic, Uniting and Baptist churches and representatives of Wesley Mission and the Shop Distributive and Allied Employees Association have signed the open letter.

''This is about the freedom of families to spend time together,'' the Reverend Keith Garner of the Wesley Mission said. ''We are only talking about four and a half days that we want to preserve.''

Gerard Dwyer, NSW branch secretary for the Shop Distributive and Allied Employees Association, said workers are concerned that the federal government is considering seeking an agreement to introduce uniform trading hours across the country. ''At the core of these public holidays are people's families and friends,'' he said. ''The economic case has not been made for opening trade on Easter Sunday. We can have good post-Christmas sales on December 27.''

Hundreds of retail and warehouse workers rallied at Australian Technology Park on Wednesday as part of the "Take the Time" campaign to improve work/life balance.

Mr Baird said no employee would be forced to work on Boxing Day but the government was ''determined to resolve this impasse to create a level playing field across the state''.

The NSW government introduced a bill in 2012 to extend retail trading hours but was forced to withdraw it because of a lack of support in the upper house.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/treasurer-mike-baird-favours-allowing-all-shops-to-open-on-boxing-day-20140312-34mkk.html#ixzz2vmgOa7uX

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Should Shops Open On Boxing Day.
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:07am

What is your view on this?.  I say open, and move Australia into the modern world.     Huh

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:08am

Crook,   stop hitting us with this negative vibe dude  .

You need to become a glass half full kind of guy.

Could i suggest joining the liberal party, opening a small business you are passionate about, growing the business, recieving a community award , having your grandchildren sit on your knee and telling them stories about how, through courage and determination, crook became a success.

I will send you the phone numbers of some good "life coaches."

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:16am

I haven't got grandchildren aquascoot.      Grin

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:19am

One day you might and you want to be able to tell them stories about all the great things you accomplished as a patriotic small business owner.

they wont want to hear stories about penalty rates and workchoices.

Aim for the stars my friend.
Dont let those negative leftie shop stewards drag you down

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:26am

Quote:
What is your view on this?.  I say open, and move Australia into the modern world.     Huh

you claim to support workers but now want them to work on yet another public holiday???

you really should get a job and experience having to get up in the morning and doing what you are told.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:29am

aquascoot wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:19am:
One day you might and you want to be able to tell them stories about all the great things you accomplished as a patriotic small business owner.

they wont want to hear stories about penalty rates and workchoices.

Aim for the stars my friend.
Dont let those negative leftie shop stewards drag you down

hes the classic 40yo virgin.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:30am

Mr Baird said no employee would be forced to work on Boxing Day.      Wink

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:42am

When I worked for the government I had to work on any holiday that was required.

When I worked for myself I had to work and day that was required, I dont see a problem.

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:54am

Quote:
Mr Baird said no employee would be forced to work on Boxing Day.      Wink

Gillard said there would be no carbon tax under a government she lead.  Wink

Scott Morrison DID wipe the floor with Bull Shitten!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Frances
Gold Member

Australian Politics

In a Castle in the Hills
Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:55am

miketrees wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:42am:
When I worked for the government I had to work on any holiday that was required.

When I worked for myself I had to work and day that was required, I dont see a problem.

So, are you telling us that no-one (especially lower paid workers, who would probably be the majority of those affected by this) should be entitled to Public Holidays?

Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:57am

Mr Howard said, that there would never ever be a GST.      Sad

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 8:03am

Quote:
Mr Howard said, that there would never ever be a GST.      Sad      

Yes, then changed his mind and took it to an election. Something that gutless wonder Gillard would never and did never do.

Scott Morrison DID wipe the floor with Bull Shitten!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 8:07am

Mr Abbott said that workchoices is dead.  Is it?.   Sad

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 8:14am

I thought they were?

Boxing day sales......where do the have them?

Anyway Boxing day means only one thing - The cricket is on at the MCG (oh my is the MCG open on boxing day?) Wink Oi Oi Oi

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print