Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Why Gay Marriage should be legal (Read 4249 times)
LaQuinn

Australian Politics

Why Gay Marriage should be legal
Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:41pm

Many of us believe that gay marriage should be legalized due to the fact that they believe that denying marriage between 2 same sex individuals is wrong, I believe this also.

However, I think people overlook the business perspective of gay marriage a lot when they're questioned on the subject.

If Gay marriage were legalized it can be established that the amount of weddings would largely increase, this will ultimately improve business for companies and business' who associate and work within the marriage system, ie cake makers, wedding planners, dress makers etc etc, thus creating more jobs but strengthening the economy with the increase of spending.

I'm interested in reading your arguments for or against the business perspective of Gay marriage. Also feel free to correct me on things if I have overlooked some areas.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:59pm by LaQuinn »  

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Why Gay Marriage should be legal
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:45pm

I think most people tend to overlook it, since theres many other better reasons (at least in my opinion) to legalise gay civil unions.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:50pm

LaQuinn wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:41pm:
Many of us believe that gay marriage should be legalized due to the fact that they believe that denying love between 2 individuals is wrong, I believe this also.

However, I think people overlook the business perspective of gay marriage a lot when they're questioned on the subject.

If Gay marriage were legalized it can be established that the amount of weddings would largely increase, this will ultimately improve business for companies and business' who associate and work within the marriage system, ie cake makers, wedding planners, dress makers etc etc, thus creating more jobs but strengthening the economy with the increase of spending.

I'm interested in reading your arguments for or against the business perspective of Gay marriage. Also feel free to correct me on things if I have overlooked some areas.

Cheers.

No one's denying anyones right to love, not a good start is it?

Weddings are soooo yesterday, get hitched in the back yard and have a BBQ.

What's the gay population? Don't think it would make much difference.

That said, gay marriage is fine by me, legalise it now!!! (then hopefully the whinging morons will STFU about themselves)

IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:51pm

Many of us believe that gay marriage should be legalized due to the fact that they believe that denying love between 2 individuals is wrong, I believe this also.

Cheers.

Thank you LaQuinn. I do not believe in gay marriage and I won't budge from my position until my current boyfriends, Clicka the kodiac bear and Meei Tung the Portugese stray dog and myself are allowed to marry.

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

Winston Smith
Gold Member

Ministry of Truth

Oceania
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:54pm

I've heard stories about people marrying inanimate objects, but I'm not sure if that was in Australia.

Big Brother is watching you

IP Logged

LaQuinn

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:55pm

FriYAY wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:50pm:

Cheers.

That said, gay marriage is fine by me, legalise it now!!! (then hopefully the whinging morons will STFU about themselves)

Probably not the best starting sentence I'll leave it as it is as you've already corrected me. Edit: Never mind I corrected it. ignore my bad wording in my quote.

I however don't agree with this, wedding aren't so yesterday, in fact many people enjoy that sense of walking down the aisle.

IP Logged

LaQuinn

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:57pm

salad in wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:51pm:
Thank you LaQuinn. I do not believe in gay marriage and I won't budge from my position until my current boyfriends, Clicka the kodiac bear and Meei Tung the Portugese stray dog and myself are allowed to marry.

Personally I'm more interested in discussing the economical benefits of gay marriage, however, you've said you're stance, but if there's anything else you'd like to add feel free to post.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 1:06pm

Many of us believe that gay marriage should be legalized due to the fact that they believe that denying marriage between 2 same sex individuals is wrong, I believe this also.

Cheers.

As absurd as Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal.  But he, 300 years ago, was joking. You aren't. SO this is sadly absurd.

By the way, your argument also shows (unintentionally, of course) just how much a of a consumerist, essentially capitalist, commodified notion 'gayness' and all the various 'choices' in sexual orientation really are.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 1:12pm

Soren wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 1:06pm:

Cheers.

As absurd as Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal.  But he, 300 years ago, was joking. You aren't. SO this is sadly absurd.

By the way, your argument also shows (unintentionally, of course) just how much a of a consumerist, essentially capitalist, commodified notion 'gayness' and all the various 'choices' in sexual orientation really are.

So gay is essentially a money making opportunity?

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 1:13pm

LaQuinn wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:55pm:
FriYAY wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:50pm:

Cheers.

Probably not the best starting sentence I'll leave it as it is as you've already corrected me. Edit: Never mind I corrected it. ignore my bad wording in my quote.

I however don't agree with this, wedding aren't so yesterday, in fact many people enjoy that sense of walking down the aisle.

Fair enough.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 2:39pm

So the whole reason behind "the most important issue of our time" is because "it's wrong not to" and to give more business to people in the wedding industries.

Shucks, they sure are some compelling arguments.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 2:45pm

Marriage should be between two consenting adults, regardless of sex.

On another note, if they do get married the "regardless of sex" takes on a whole new meaning.  One guy I know always says "let the gays marry, they always say it shouldnt matter about sex.  Wait till they can marry then they will know sex matters."  I thought it was clever.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 3:17pm

Verge wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 2:45pm:

Why just two?

IP Logged

Datalife
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 4:04pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 3:17pm:

Why just two?

Agreed, restricting it to just two would be an imposition on our muslim brothers who prefer multiple wives, and to be fair a few non muslim paternal African cultures.

So in the inclusive spirit of Australia I propose a quid pro quo, the muslims and the fetishists or any one else would be allowed to have as many wives as they like but only the first wife and the children of the first wife are able to eligible for welfare.

After all, that should accord perfectly well with their own paternalistic cultures where the number of wives and the children is a measure of the mans ability to provide, not that of the government, or if you prefer, the tribe aka the taxpayer. 

A blessing on you, may your wives be many Achmed.   Cool

"If they’re out there in the high seas, what you would do is seek to turn them back through the agency of the Australian Navy".

Kevin Rudd on 2GB, July 12, 2007

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 4:11pm

Datalife wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 4:04pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 3:17pm:

Why just two?

Agreed, restricting it to just two would be an imposition on our muslim brothers who prefer multiple wives, and to be fair a few non muslim African paternalistic cultures.

So in the inclusive spirit of Australia I propose a quid pro quo, the muslims and the fetishists or any one else would be allowed to have as many wives as they like but only the first wife and the children of the first wife are able to eligible for welfare.

After all, that should accord perfectly well with their own paternalistic cultures where the number of wives and the children is a measure of the mans ability to provide, not that of the government, or if you prefer, the tribe aka the taxpayer. 

A blessing on you, may your wives be many Achmed.   Cool

I don't particularly care for any religion, so that wasn't a consideration in my questioning (the Mormons love it, don't they?).

I'm just curious as to why people would want to restrict it to just two consenting adults.

What's wrong with four consenting (non-related) adults all getting married?

Or six?

Why the hang up on the number "2"?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print