Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
interpreting Muhammed's example (Read 3721 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
interpreting Muhammed's example
Feb 13th, 2014 at 10:07pm

Gandalf wouldn't let me start a new thread on this:

freediver wrote on Feb 13th, 2014 at 8:06pm:
Gandalf could you please elaborate on the Islamic concepts behind this? How much of Muhammed's examples can you discard in this way? In practice, what difference is there between a "sunna" and a something that is merely "a great example to follow"?

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 10th, 2014 at 10:47am:
And my point about context is to emphasise the fact that it is not (as you love to claim ad-nauseum) blanket permission or "command" as you originally put it, to go forth and find POWs just so they can be beheaded. It was a drastic action for a most drastic time - and anyone who looks at it honestly and objectively (not you, I know) would concede that it was not a case of a warmongering leader being unnecessary bloodthirsty, but a strong leader doing what he had to do to protect his people and the survival of his fledgling state. Thus it is not even about islamic doctrine - this is not a "sunna" action of Muhammad the religious teacher - it is merely the earthly actions of a statesman protecting his people.

The context was Gandalf describing as a "great example to follow" the time when Muhammed and his followers executed 800 Jewish POWs and took their wives as sex slaves.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Re: interpreting Muhammed's example
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 10:40am

crickets chirping.....

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 10:50am

ISLAMIC schools teach moslem children, that they are justified to defend Mohammed's example, with Mohammed's own example.

Mohammed's example to moslems, was that terrorism works.

ISLAMIC schools teach moslem children, that it is threats and intimidation, and violence, that work - in creating terror in the hearts of the enemies of Allah, and the moslems.

FROM THE SUNNA OF MOHAMMED

Allah's Apostle said,
"I have been made victorious with terror (cast in the hearts of the enemy)...."

hadith/bukhari #004.052.220

".....I have been given superiority......; I have been helped by terror (in the hearts of enemies):....."

hadithsunnah/muslim/ #004.1062

If moslems were NOT justified to defend Mohammed's example, with Mohammed's own example, of threats and intimidation, and violence, then moslems would not follow that example.

But they do.

THE EXAMPLE OF THREATS AND INTIMIDATION;

IMAGE...
Sydney CBD, 2012, mainstream moslem street protests.
Moslems 'demonstrating' just how rational and 'peaceful' mainstream moslems really are.

IMAGE...
London, mainstream moslem street protests.
Moslems 'demonstrating' just how rational and 'peaceful' mainstream moslems really are.

THOSE PLACARDS, AT A MOSLEM STREET PROTEST IN LONDON READ.....

"Slay those who insult Islam"
"Behead those who insult Islam"
"Massacre those who insult Islam"
"Butcher those who mock Islam"

"Europe you will pay, demolition is on its way"
"Europe you will pay, extermination is on its way"
"Exterminate those who slander Islam"
"Europe is the cancer, Islam is the answer"
"Islam will dominate the world"
"Freedom go to hell"
"Europe take some lessons from 9/11"
"Be prepared for the real Holocaust"
"BBC = British Blasphemic Crusaders"

THE EXAMPLE OF MOSLEM VIOLENCE - FOLLOWING 'THE' EXAMPLE;

THE RELIGION OF PEACE

http://thereligionofpeace.com/

+++

WHAT ALLAH SAID ABOUT MOHAMMED'S EXAMPLE;

"Ye have indeed in the Messenger of Allah a beautiful pattern (of conduct) for any one whose hope is in Allah and the Final Day, and who engages much in the Praise of Allah. "
Koran 33.21

FROM THE SUNNA OF MOHAMMED

"Allah's Apostle said, "Who is willing to kill Ka'b bin Al-Ashraf who has hurt Allah and His Apostle?" Thereupon Muhammad bin Maslama got up saying, "O Allah's Apostle! Would you like that I kill him?" The Prophet said, "Yes," Muhammad bin Maslama said, "Then allow me to say a (false) thing (i.e. to deceive Kab). "The Prophet said, "You may say it." "
hadithsunnah/bukhari/ #005.059.369

"...If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him."

hadithsunnah/bukhari/ #004.052.260

ISLAMIC LAW makes the killing of non-moslems [by a moslem], 'lawful'.

ISLAMIC LAW makes murder, 'lawful'.

"Ibn 'Abbas reported that the Prophet said: "The bare essence of Islam and the basics of the religion are three [acts], upon which Islam has been established. Whoever leaves one of them becomes an unbeliever and his blood may legally be spilled. [The acts are:] Testifying that there is no God except Allah, the obligatory prayers, and the fast of Ramadan."...."
fiqhussunnah/#3.110

n.b.
"Whoever......becomes an unbeliever.....his blood may legally be spilled."

THE EXAMPLE OF MOHAMMED.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 10:50am

freediver wrote on Feb 13th, 2014 at 10:07pm:
Gandalf wouldn't let me start a new thread on this:

freediver wrote on Feb 13th, 2014 at 8:06pm:
Gandalf could you please elaborate on the Islamic concepts behind this? How much of Muhammed's examples can you discard in this way? In practice, what difference is there between a "sunna" and a something that is merely "a great example to follow"?

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 10th, 2014 at 10:47am:
And my point about context is to emphasise the fact that it is not (as you love to claim ad-nauseum) blanket permission or "command" as you originally put it, to go forth and find POWs just so they can be beheaded. It was a drastic action for a most drastic time - and anyone who looks at it honestly and objectively (not you, I know) would concede that it was not a case of a warmongering leader being unnecessary bloodthirsty, but a strong leader doing what he had to do to protect his people and the survival of his fledgling state. Thus it is not even about islamic doctrine - this is not a "sunna" action of Muhammad the religious teacher - it is merely the earthly actions of a statesman protecting his people.

The context was Gandalf describing as a "great example to follow" the time when Muhammed and his followers executed 800 Jewish POWs and took their wives as sex slaves.

there's something really wrong when a persons actions is SO ardently justified
Obviously, they have done significant wrong.
and the person doing the justifying is in a cult mentality.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2014 at 1:53pm

A recent article on cults identified the 15 separate traits that the International Cultic Studies Association (ICSA)identifies as common among cults:

Studying the 15 traits is informative when considering Islam.
1.  The group displays excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to its leader and (whether he is alive or dead) regards his belief system, ideology, and practices as the Truth, as law.
2.  Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished.
3.   Mind-altering practices (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, and debilitating work routines) are used in excess and serve to suppress doubts about the group and its leader(s).
4.  The leadership dictates, sometimes in great detail, how members should think, act, and feel (for example, members must get permission to date, change jobs, marry—or leaders prescribe what types of clothes to wear, where to live, whether or not to have children, how to discipline children, and so forth).
5.  The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, its leader(s) and members (for example, the leader is considered the Messiah, a special being, an avatar—or the group and/or the leader is on a special mission to save humanity).
6.  The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality, which may cause conflict with the wider society.          
7.  The leader is not accountable to any authorities (unlike, for example, teachers, military commanders or ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream religious denominations).
8.  The group teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify whatever means it deems necessary. This may result in members' participating in behaviors or activities they would have considered reprehensible or unethical before joining the group (for example, lying to family or friends, or collecting money for bogus charities).
9.  The leadership induces feelings of shame and/or guilt in order to influence and/or control members. Often, this is done through peer pressure and subtle forms of persuasion.
10.  Subservience to the leader or group requires members to cut ties with family and friends, and radically alter the personal goals and activities they had before joining the group.
11.  The group is preoccupied with bringing in new members.
12.  The group is preoccupied with making money.
13.  Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group and group-related activities.
14.  Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members.         
15.  The most loyal members (the “true believers”) feel there can be no life outside the context of the group. They believe there is no other way to be, and often fear reprisals to themselves or others if they leave (or even consider leaving) the group.
http://www.newenglishreview.org/blog_display.cfm/blog_id/52072

There is a discussion at the link of each of the characteristics as they apply to Islam.

This is not to say that Islam is the only cult, only that it IS a cult.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2014 at 6:56pm

A cult can be 'characterised', imo, as a group which seeks to control many [if not all] aspects of the life of the individual member.

And all [almost all?] cults have developed specific procedures and techniques, to try prevent members from leaving the cult [to try to prevent members from of escaping the 'influence' of their 'group'].

e.g.
The way in which cult of ISLAM seeks to prevent members from of escaping its 'influence', is that ISLAM threatens to murder any person who wishes to disassociate themselves from it !!

"...the Prophet said, 'If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him."

hadithsunnah/bukhari/ #004.052.260

But the cult of ISLAM, doesn't stop there!

Because the cult of ISLAM, seeks to also prevent any and all outside criticism of its practices,
using threats of violence and murder against any external critic.

#2, But the cult of ISLAM, doesn't stop there!

e.g.
The cult of ISLAM, declares;

"If you call us violent, ......we will kill you!!"

IMAGE...
London, mainstream moslem street protests.

THOSE PLACARDS, AT A MOSLEM STREET PROTEST IN LONDON READ.....

"Slay those who insult Islam"
"Behead those who insult Islam"
"Massacre those who insult Islam"
"Butcher those who mock Islam"

"Europe you will pay, demolition is on its way"
"Europe you will pay, extermination is on its way"
"Exterminate those who slander Islam"
"Europe is the cancer, Islam is the answer"
"Islam will dominate the world"
"Freedom go to hell"
"Europe take some lessons from 9/11"
"Be prepared for the real Holocaust"
"BBC = British Blasphemic Crusaders"

+++

Google;
"Death to the Pope for Calling Us Violent"

http://abbagav.blogspot.com.au/2006/09/death-to-pope-for-calling-us-violent.html

MUSLIMS ARE SELF DECEIVERS
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1226196753/0#0
Quote:

MUSLIMS...

"DO NOT CALL US VIOLENT, OR WE WILL KILL YOU."

Saturday, September 16, 2006
The "Death to the Pope for Calling Us Violent" Protests
"......Many Islamist activists are so perturbed that they've taken to the streets to proclaim their seething anger at the Pope for questioning their pacifism."
http://abbagav.blogspot.com/2006/09/death-to-pope-for-calling-us-violent.html

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 8:20pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 2nd, 2014 at 7:55pm:
freediver wrote on Mar 2nd, 2014 at 5:31pm:
You also never explained how exactly you train a little girl to be a morally appropriate child bride. Is it something to do with playing with dolls?

I covered that (ie no one "trains" anyone - like its something to aspire to :p)- you refuse to listen. Just like you didn't listen - and then just plain forgot my painstaking explanation of the apparent contradiction between Muhammad's actions and islamic teachings - which you just claimed I never addressed.

FD, give me one good reason why I should go to the trouble of addressing these things if you're just going to ignore it, then 3 months down the track claim that I never addressed it in the first place? Seems like a wasted effort to me.

Lets stay focused on what this is really about: this is about freediver trying desperately to get around the fact that the vast majority of muslims are abhorred by child marriage, and want it stamped out. This is about FD putting words in muslims mouths, when he can't find the "right" quotes from muslims to defame them. This is about FD tying himself completely in knots by pointing the accusing finger at muslims when they don't specifically invoke islam when condemning child marriage - and doing exactly the same thing when muslims do.

Is child marriage a problem in the muslim community? You betcha - just as it is a problem in sections of the hindu community, and just like child abuse is shockingly ingrained in certain catholic institutions. All these problems need a constructive solution, which involves working with the members of those communities who are just as shocked and outraged by the problem as those who are outside the communities. Demonising these people not only doesn't help, it obstructs solutions and creates further divisions in society. "Addressing" this problem by pointing fingers at good-willed people and saying "ha - you can't deny that this doesn't go against islamic teaching" can only do two things 1. satiate your deep seated prejudice and 2. slap the muslim community in the face and say 'I am determined to ensure this problem remains unsolved'.   

Would it be reasonable to describe your take on it as believing that Islam discards what Muhammed directly said and did in favour of what you want to read into it and what you want to discard as an unfortunate. And you can read into it whatever you want - thus Islam is whatever you want it to be. If you want it to be rape and pillage, it can be. If you want it to be peace and respect, it can also be that. Islam is more the art of projection than learning?

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 9:48pm

freediver wrote on Mar 2nd, 2014 at 8:20pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 2nd, 2014 at 7:55pm:
freediver wrote on Mar 2nd, 2014 at 5:31pm:
You also never explained how exactly you train a little girl to be a morally appropriate child bride. Is it something to do with playing with dolls?

I covered that (ie no one "trains" anyone - like its something to aspire to :p)- you refuse to listen. Just like you didn't listen - and then just plain forgot my painstaking explanation of the apparent contradiction between Muhammad's actions and islamic teachings - which you just claimed I never addressed.

FD, give me one good reason why I should go to the trouble of addressing these things if you're just going to ignore it, then 3 months down the track claim that I never addressed it in the first place? Seems like a wasted effort to me.

Lets stay focused on what this is really about: this is about freediver trying desperately to get around the fact that the vast majority of muslims are abhorred by child marriage, and want it stamped out. This is about FD putting words in muslims mouths, when he can't find the "right" quotes from muslims to defame them. This is about FD tying himself completely in knots by pointing the accusing finger at muslims when they don't specifically invoke islam when condemning child marriage - and doing exactly the same thing when muslims do.

Is child marriage a problem in the muslim community? You betcha - just as it is a problem in sections of the hindu community, and just like child abuse is shockingly ingrained in certain catholic institutions. All these problems need a constructive solution, which involves working with the members of those communities who are just as shocked and outraged by the problem as those who are outside the communities. Demonising these people not only doesn't help, it obstructs solutions and creates further divisions in society. "Addressing" this problem by pointing fingers at good-willed people and saying "ha - you can't deny that this doesn't go against islamic teaching" can only do two things 1. satiate your deep seated prejudice and 2. slap the muslim community in the face and say 'I am determined to ensure this problem remains unsolved'.   

Would it be reasonable to describe your take on it as believing that Islam discards what Muhammed directly said and did in favour of what you want to read into it and what you want to discard as an unfortunate. And you can read into it whatever you want - thus Islam is whatever you want it to be. If you want it to be rape and pillage, it can be. If you want it to be peace and respect, it can also be that. Islam is more the art of projection than learning?

FD,

How you describe, the 'moving posture' of the moslem, of how moslems present themselves and their community [and ISLAM], seems to be NOT inaccurate, imo.

EDL mission statement. Disagree with any of it?
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1389227815/19#19
Quote:

Moslems will always keep changing the 'rules' of any communication, to suit the circumstance.

"What we said, does not mean that!!!
What we say, means what we say that it means!!"

That is a the cultural way of the moslem.

Moslems will always keep changing the 'rules', as the 'game' [of lies] progresses, to suit the current circumstance.

Blasphemy laws an impediment to Islamic reform
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1360382901/29#29
Quote:

WHAT WE MUST UNDERSTAND, ABOUT MOSLEMS, IS THAT;

Every moslem, EVERY moslem, is 'a man for all seasons'.

Every moslem, EVERY moslem, is flag in the wind.

When, if the political winds change here in Australia [to favour moslems], gandalf will change, to follow the wind [gandalf will then 'become' more devout].

Moslems are not sincere people.

Moslems are 'flags in the wind'.

and....
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1391333454/35#35

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 10:19am

Quote:
There are at least 60 child brides living in south-western Sydney, and many more girls are destined to be forced into under-age marriage, according to the head of a women's health centre.

Eman Sharobeem works with teenage girls in Fairfield, Liverpool and Cabramatta. Many of them have been married in the past three years.

She said that forced and under-age marriages would not stop until immigrants received education the moment that they stepped onto Australian soil. If they were not educated about Australian values and laws, new arrivals would continue to be taught by already settled communities who encouraged the illegal and archaic practice, she said.

Dr Sharobeem, who is the manager of the Immigrant Women's Health Service in Fairfield, said under-age marriage was carried out by many cultures across Asia, India and the Middle East and had nothing to do with religion.

Advertisement Of the 60 cases she was aware of in the past three years, 20 of the girls had come to the Fairfield centre asking for help.

Once girls were married, there was intense pressure from their communities to remain where they are. ''If they leave they will be called sluts, home wreckers and [accused] of destroying the family,'' Dr Sharobeem said.

She wants help to set up a bilingual hotline that young girls can call for help or to report their abuse.

The 24-hour hotline is supported Family and Community Services Minister Pru Goward.

In February, a 26-year-old man was charged over an illegal marriage to a 12-year-old girl. The girl's father was also charged.

Dr Sharobeem said immigrants came to Australia with zero information, but were quickly taught not to allow their women to integrate.

''I've heard men with my own ears shouting [to new arrivals]: 'This country is about supporting women. It is our rule as head of the family to keep the women away from the bad influence of the country and not let them learn English.' ''

One woman recently came to her in tears and said her husband, who was still awaiting clearance in the detention centre, threatened to kill her if she learnt English or went out of the house without him.

''This is happening in Australia. We are not in the suburbs of Afghanistan - this is the suburbs of Sydney.''

A mother and father came into her office and proudly spoke of how they had just celebrated the wedding of their daughter in Iraq.

Dr Sharobeem had said to them, ''Fantastic! Where is she?'' They pointed to a petite and silent 14-year-old girl sitting next to them.

''I looked at the child in the room and I froze,'' Dr Sharobeem said.

The child bride was two months pregnant and in need of a doctor.

Not wanting to scare the family, Dr Sharobeem told them they had committed a crime but promised to keep their secret if they made an appointment for their daughter to see a nurse.

She planned on reporting the under-age marriage to police once she knew the girl was safe but her parents never returned. ''The father rang and said, 'Ah, doctor, my daughter lost the baby and we actually send her back to Iraq, so you don't need to worry about her.'''

The act of forced marriage was criminalised in Australia last year but Dr Sharobeem said the law had had no effect.

''Education is the key to stopping this.'' Dr Sharobeem has stopped parents from taking their children overseas to marry by alerting the Australian Federal Police and adding the names of children to the airport watch list.

She recently helped to annul the marriage of a 16-year-old Pakistani girl who was married against her will.

But she said she has to be careful with what she reported to maintain the trust of her clients and to ensure people would allow their daughters and wives to visit the centre.

The doors of the centre were open for all women and Dr Sharobeem said she would be waiting to help them, the way someone once helped her.

The Immigrant Women's Health Centre can be contacted on (02) 9726 4044.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/hotline-plan-to-help-hidden-child-brides-in-sydney-20140301-33sqm.html#ixzz2ur1o1ye0

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #9 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 11:34am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 3rd, 2014 at 10:19am:
Quote:
There are at least 60 child brides living in south-western Sydney, and many more girls are destined to be forced into under-age marriage, according to the head of a women's health centre.

Eman Sharobeem works with teenage girls in Fairfield, Liverpool and Cabramatta. Many of them have been married in the past three years.

She said that forced and under-age marriages would not stop until immigrants received education the moment that they stepped onto Australian soil. If they were not educated about Australian values and laws, new arrivals would continue to be taught by already settled communities who encouraged the illegal and archaic practice, she said.

Dr Sharobeem, who is the manager of the Immigrant Women's Health Service in Fairfield, said under-age marriage was carried out by many cultures across Asia, India and the Middle East and had nothing to do with religion.

Advertisement Of the 60 cases she was aware of in the past three years, 20 of the girls had come to the Fairfield centre asking for help.

Once girls were married, there was intense pressure from their communities to remain where they are. ''If they leave they will be called sluts, home wreckers and [accused] of destroying the family,'' Dr Sharobeem said.

She wants help to set up a bilingual hotline that young girls can call for help or to report their abuse.

The 24-hour hotline is supported Family and Community Services Minister Pru Goward.

In February, a 26-year-old man was charged over an illegal marriage to a 12-year-old girl. The girl's father was also charged.

Dr Sharobeem said immigrants came to Australia with zero information, but were quickly taught not to allow their women to integrate.

''I've heard men with my own ears shouting [to new arrivals]: 'This country is about supporting women. It is our rule as head of the family to keep the women away from the bad influence of the country and not let them learn English.' ''

One woman recently came to her in tears and said her husband, who was still awaiting clearance in the detention centre, threatened to kill her if she learnt English or went out of the house without him.

''This is happening in Australia. We are not in the suburbs of Afghanistan - this is the suburbs of Sydney.''

A mother and father came into her office and proudly spoke of how they had just celebrated the wedding of their daughter in Iraq.

Dr Sharobeem had said to them, ''Fantastic! Where is she?'' They pointed to a petite and silent 14-year-old girl sitting next to them.

''I looked at the child in the room and I froze,'' Dr Sharobeem said.

The child bride was two months pregnant and in need of a doctor.

Not wanting to scare the family, Dr Sharobeem told them they had committed a crime but promised to keep their secret if they made an appointment for their daughter to see a nurse.

She planned on reporting the under-age marriage to police once she knew the girl was safe but her parents never returned. ''The father rang and said, 'Ah, doctor, my daughter lost the baby and we actually send her back to Iraq, so you don't need to worry about her.'''

The act of forced marriage was criminalised in Australia last year but Dr Sharobeem said the law had had no effect.

''Education is the key to stopping this.'' Dr Sharobeem has stopped parents from taking their children overseas to marry by alerting the Australian Federal Police and adding the names of children to the airport watch list.

She recently helped to annul the marriage of a 16-year-old Pakistani girl who was married against her will.

But she said she has to be careful with what she reported to maintain the trust of her clients and to ensure people would allow their daughters and wives to visit the centre.

The doors of the centre were open for all women and Dr Sharobeem said she would be waiting to help them, the way someone once helped her.

The Immigrant Women's Health Centre can be contacted on (02) 9726 4044.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/hotline-plan-to-help-hidden-child-brides-in-sydney-20140301-33sqm.html#ixzz2ur1o1ye0

And very few pollies, and almost no one in the GUTLESS Australian media, are alerting the broader Australian community to these circumstances and attitudes within the moslem community here in Australia.

The moslem 'community', is a destroying cancerous growth upon the Australian nation and its culture and the Australian psyche, imo.

ISLAM and moslems, are not compatible, with our Western values of [yes, imperfect] respect for truth, and justice, and liberty.

And by their own conduct, moslems everyday, prove that that FACT is true.

Left unattended these LYING, and DECEITFUL, moslem monsters will grow in influence and in strength within Australia, and will destroy the character of what we know today as 'Australia'.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 7:01pm

Still no explanation from Gandalf, beyond 'I make it up as I go along...'.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 2:21pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jun 6th, 2014 at 10:02pm:
freediver wrote on Jun 6th, 2014 at 9:42pm:
You seem to be projecting an awful lot of your own knowledge onto Islam.

Only in so far as I refuse to accept that the message of islam is about creating bigots and misogynists. I unapologetically treat this as a priori knowledge in my islamic beliefs - it would be absolutely nonsensical to me to come into islam thinking "well it could be about tolerance and understanding, but equally it could be about bigotry". If I had accepted it was the latter, then I would not have embraced islam - unless I was a psychopath. Once I accept the overall "theme" of islam, then the rest is just details.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #12 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 11:02pm

Perhaps if I dumb it down even further...

Quote:
it would be absolutely nonsensical to me to come into islam thinking "well it could be about tolerance and understanding, but equally it could be about bigotry". If I had accepted it was the latter, then I would not have embraced islam

Its what we call common sense FD.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Mattywisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 11:39pm

freediver wrote on Apr 24th, 2014 at 7:01pm:
Still no explanation from Gandalf, beyond 'I make it up as I go along...'.

That's it in a nutshell, commonsense says he should have accepted the former but that was not an Islamic option. All the west is wrong, wrong I tells ya. He is smarter. Must be great to be on board the muslim bus.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 9:27pm

Classic:

polite_gandalf wrote on Jun 9th, 2014 at 9:57pm:
freediver wrote on Jun 9th, 2014 at 9:08pm:
Muhammad himself had stated, “If you find anyone doing as Lot's people did, kill the one who does it, and the one to whom it is done.”[5] He even went so far as to condemn the “appearance” of homosexuality, when he cursed effeminate men and masculine women and ordered his followers to "Turn them out of your houses."[6] This ruling on homosexuals was naturally adopted by his later successors.

1. Lot is an interesting one. Islamic LGBT activist argue that the real sins of Lot's people was not the act of sodomy itself. Lets take just one description taken from a wiki article to examine this point:

The people of Sodom and Gomorrah, the twin cities which Lot was sent to with God's message, transgressed consciously against the bounds of God. Their avarice led to inhospitality and robbery, which in turn led to the humiliation of strangers by mistreatment and rape. It was their abominable sin of homosexuality which was seen as symptomatic of their attitudes

Taking away, of course, the part about "It was their abominable sin of homosexuality..." - and it can be seen how these activists make their case. The people of Lot "consciously transgressed" their religion, which led to a general display of immorality: inhospitality, robbery, rape etc. It is in this context, and *ONLY* this context that the act of sodomy is condemned - not, so the argument goes, the act of sodomy per se - where it can presumably be performed by righteous, God-fearing people in a proper, loving relationship (ie not lust).

polite_gandalf wrote on Jun 10th, 2014 at 1:54pm:
Anyway...

One would imagine that if it was a specific order against sodomy itself, The Prophet would have said something like "If you find anyone committing sodomy..." rather than the slightly more cryptic "if you find anyone doing as Lot's people did..."

What we do know is that the sins of Lot's people was not sodomy per se - but the whole gamut of base, criminal behaviour that come with a complete moral breakdown - robbery, rape, murder etc, of which sodomy in that context came to symbolise.

By the description, Muhammad is clearly talking about an act of sodomy, but is it necessarily any act of sodomy? In my view, the case has not been conclusively made.

polite_gandalf wrote on Jun 10th, 2014 at 7:40pm:
FD he's obviously talking about sodomy.

But the argument has been made (not by me) that he is only talking about sodomy that is borne out of lust and debauchery - not from genuine love and commitment.

You've got to admit there is a legitimate question about why he refers to it as "anyone doing as Lot's people did" as opposed to simply saying "anyone who commits sodomy"

Also, the quranic verses referring to Lot's people only refers to sodomy in the context of lust, no mention of sodomy in the context of genuine love and devotion.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print