Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 144
Send Topic Print
Gun laws in Australia (Read 205907 times)
ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Gun laws in Australia
Reply #600 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 2:32pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Oct 25th, 2014 at 12:16pm:
[
One wonders, then, where they've all come from.

Care to hazard a guess?

all? So far all you and your idiot mate have posted is hysterical nonsense. As I  have just shown there are indeed a large number of long arms stolen compared to pistols which go straight to the black market,  what do you think these crims are doing with the long arms? Throwing them away?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #601 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 3:33pm

Emma wrote on Oct 25th, 2014 at 12:57am:
how many crims apply BR..?

I fail to see how germane your point is, Emma.    The point wasn't about criminals at all but about law-abiding gun owners.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #602 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 3:36pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Oct 25th, 2014 at 11:53am:
In QLD it is pretty easy for farmers/property owners, the catch is they can only have 2 semi auto centrefire and they are only licensed for the nominated property.

I think other states should follow what QLD have allowed for primary producers and landowners.

Primary producers and landowners have a legal obligation to eradicate feral pests.

You don't need Cat D. style fire arms to do that, Baron.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #603 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 4:27pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Oct 25th, 2014 at 11:38am:
Brian Ross wrote on Oct 24th, 2014 at 12:27am:
  However, I also recognise that there is a strong correlation between the ready availability of firearms and their likelihood of use in the commission of crime, Baron.   Whereas you attempt to either obscure or hide that correlation, it is there to see in all the research.

The research shows increasing legal firearm numbers in NSW has resulted in less gun crimes.

No it hasn't, Baron.

It has shown a correlation between increasingly legal firearm numbers and less gun crime.

However, as any statistician will tell you, "correlation does not denote causation" and why I always don't make outlandish claims like that.

Quote:
Try reading this peer reviewed paper by Dr Samara McPhedran, i think i will take her facts over your nonsense.
gameconnsw.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/McPhedran_More_Guns_More_or_Less_Crime...

McPhedran is a psychologist, not a statistician which is perhaps why she makes the classic mistake of assuming correlation does denote causation.   Roll Eyes

I also fail to see how utilising a paper about legally owned firearms ownership provides any reason why firearms regulation should be eased, Baron.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #604 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 4:38pm

Hmmmm!

Perhaps there needs to be a suitability test before one acquires a firearms licence.

Would soldiers qualify?

Specific target engagement is a soldier's job.

Is firearm possession restricted to combatants?

Has 'collateral damage' become an acceptable statistic in warfare?

It's a shame that this discussion has deteriorated into such parody.

I don't have a gun at home anymore. It's now safely locked up.

I do have a collection of Gerber's finest kitchen utensils on the counter.

Roll Eyes

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #605 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 5:46pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Oct 25th, 2014 at 4:38pm:
Hmmmm!

Perhaps there needs to be a suitability test before one acquires a firearms licence.

I'm surprised to hear you suggesting a recommendation that I've advocated for decades, Lionel.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #606 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 6:27pm

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 25th, 2014 at 5:46pm:
Hmmmm!

I'm surprised to hear you suggesting a recommendation that I've advocated for decades, Lionel.    Roll Eyes

Makes you wonder how the patsy at Port Arthur ever got convicted.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Though regulation and surrender was a requirement of the outcome.

Thus the result.

Still happening in America, I believe.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #607 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 7:08pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Oct 25th, 2014 at 6:27pm:
Hmmmm!

"Patsy"?  Oh, no, you still don't believe Vialls's bullshit conspiracy do you, Lionel?

I'm sorry, you've just gone down in my estimation by several hundred percent.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #608 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 8:13pm

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 25th, 2014 at 7:08pm:
Hmmmm!

"Patsy"?  Oh, no, you still don't believe Vialls's bullshit conspiracy do you, Lionel?

I'm sorry, you've just gone down in my estimation by several hundred percent.   Roll Eyes

Well, if we're gonna estimate:

In your professional opinion, what do think of his kill ratio?

Of course, automatic weapons will ramp a kill ratio.

Bryant was a professional, no?

Let's not distract from the main debate here.

Should I be considered a potential threat to anybody because I once owned a Remington 5-shot pump action coach gun?

Or is it the fact that, at the time, I also had the responsibility for the behaviour of a knowledgeable, blooded and trustworthy German Shepherd?

The pair combined worked as a competent team.

What was more dangerous - the gun or the dog?

Or, in today's frightened news reportage, am I more dangerous than both?

I suppose it all depends on where your allegiances lie.   Cool

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #609 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 9:00pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Oct 25th, 2014 at 8:13pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Oct 25th, 2014 at 7:08pm:
Hmmmm!

Well, if we're gonna estimate:

In your professional opinion, what do think of his kill ratio?

Within acceptable limits considering there was obviously "shot through" occurring, Lionel.  Perhaps you'd care to explain the eye-witness reports of dust leaping off the external walls of the Broad Arrow Cafe which indicated bullet strikes?  The several bullets found in fridges and Coke machines within the Cafe?   Hardly symptomatic of the highly skilled assassin that Vialls attempted to claim Bryant (or rather his stand in) was...   Roll Eyes

Quote:
Of course, automatic weapons will ramp a kill ratio.

Yes.  We should actually be thankful that Bryant didn't use the weapon he intended to, a Daewoo "Streetsweeper" semi-automatic shotgun (it frightened him too much he said, when he test fired it before he arrived at Port Arthur).   

Quote:
Bryant was a professional, no?

Nope, he wasn't.  He was a mentally handicapped kid with a grudge, too much money and who was supplied with firearms illegally by an unscrupulous firearms dealer who took advantage of him.

Quote:
Let's not distract from the main debate here.

Should I be considered a potential threat to anybody because I once owned a Remington 5-shot pump action coach gun?

Now?  No, 'cause you imply you no longer have that firearm, Lionel.   You were a potential threat because of your possession of a potentially dangerous firearm.

Tell me, Lionel, know much about electrical theory?   Is an electrical wire dangerous?  Wink

Quote:
Or is it the fact that, at the time, I also had the responsibility for the behaviour of a knowledgeable, blooded and trustworthy German Shepherd?

The pair combined worked as a competent team.

What was more dangerous - the gun or the dog?

Or, in today's frightened news reportage, am I more dangerous than both?

I suppose it all depends on where your allegiances lie.   Cool

Oh, the gun definitely was more dangerous, Lionel.  Puppy dogs just like to play.    Grin Grin

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #610 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 9:19pm

Pups do what they're trained to do

It's all reaction/response, Brian. I shouldn't have to tell you that.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #611 - Oct 26th, 2014 at 12:15am

Doesn't look to me like those dogs were very well trained at all, Lionel.  Their owner/handler had to _kick_ them to make them release that man.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #612 - Oct 26th, 2014 at 1:05am

yeah.. Huh I have a dog as companion friend protecter..

but I'd really like to be allowed to own a gun.  Smiley

As for  being allowed to defend yourself..?? 

try walking down the street with your shoulder bag securely over your shoulder.
You are NOT allowed to carry in that shoulder bag any THING AT ALL, which is there for the purpose of your personal defence.

That's the Law.

live every day

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #613 - Oct 26th, 2014 at 7:46am

@ Emma

Aluminium - easy to clean, light to carry.

Works for me.   Cool

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #614 - Oct 26th, 2014 at 7:53am

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 26th, 2014 at 12:15am:
Doesn't look to me like those dogs were very well trained at all, Lionel.  Their owner/handler had to _kick_ them to make them release that man.    Roll Eyes

I'll admit that is true, Brian.

However, they didn't go for the throat, and, you'll have to admit, they were certainly effective.

And, really, isn't that what it's all about?

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 144
Send Topic Print