Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 144
Send Topic Print
Gun laws in Australia (Read 205864 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Gun laws in Australia
Reply #420 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 12:20pm

Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #421 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 4:30pm

Life_goes_on wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 2:38pm:
Baronvonrort wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 1:31pm:
Emma wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 12:12am:
Well...  the rules are so strict.. only people with large lands.. or those in Gun clubs can now legally own weapons.. .....................( a simplification)

is this RIGHT? 

What I mean is... should this be the regime under which we all live..??

If you have written permission from a landowner to shoot on their property you do not need to join a club or own property.
The private land must be zoned Rural to legally shoot on it.

If you join a target shooting club you are not allowed to hunt feral pests.

Self defence is not a valid reason to own a firearm in Australia, you cannot use your firearm for self defence, if someone steals your gun you can be charged with failing to prevent the loss or theft of a firearm yet it is an offence to point the gun at someone to prevent it being stolen.

The Liberal democrat party believes people should have a right to mace,firearms,pepper sprays etc for self defence.

Why do you feel you have the need to own a firearm for self defence?

Do you live in an area that you perceive to be extremely dangerous? Redfern, Logan etc?

Or are you a dealer of larger quantities of certain substances and just need a firearm as a tool of work?

I have never felt the need for a weapon for self defence,as i pointed out self defence is not a valid reason to own a firearm in Australia.
I live on the beachfront in the eastern suburbs which is a great area.

Quote:
Four men armed with machetes assaulted a security guard at the elite Scotts college in Bellevue Hill in an attempt to reach weaponry stored on school grounds.

The men confronted the guard on the school perimeter about 1 am on friday but failed to gain access.

The men armed with machetes were described as being of middle eastern appearance.

Scotts college maintains target shooting rifles on the property as part of its sport program.
www.smh.com.au/nsw/bid-to-seize-guns-from-scots-college-20140914-10gq20.html

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #422 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 5:48pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 4:30pm:
Well...  the rules are so strict.. only people with large lands.. or those in Gun clubs can now legally own weapons.. .....................( a simplification)

is this RIGHT? 

If you have written permission from a landowner to shoot on their property you do not need to join a club or own property.

Self defence is not a valid reason to own a firearm in Australia, you cannot use your firearm for self defence, if someone steals your gun you can be charged with failing to prevent the loss or theft of a firearm yet it is an offence to point the gun at someone to prevent it being stolen.

The Liberal democrat party believes people should have a right to mace,firearms,pepper sprays etc for self defence.

Do you live in an area that you perceive to be extremely dangerous? Redfern, Logan etc?

Or are you a dealer of larger quantities of certain substances and just need a firearm as a tool of work?

I have never felt the need for a weapon for self defence,as i pointed out self defence is not a valid reason to own a firearm in Australia.

Quote:
Four men armed with machetes assaulted a security guard at the elite Scotts college in Bellevue Hill in an attempt to reach weaponry stored on school grounds.

The men confronted the guard on the school perimeter about 1 am on friday but failed to gain access.

The men armed with machetes were described as being of middle eastern appearance.

Scotts college maintains target shooting rifles on the property as part of its sport program.

Do you 'feel' like apologising, Life_goes_on??? No? Ok, let us, rational people, know when you "do feel like" admitting that YOU were wrong.

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #423 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 4:54pm

Quote:

Bloody elitists.  Shutdown Scotch College then the problems of securing these firearms would go away.    Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Grin

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #424 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 9:56pm

Whooooo, boy!

Scotts College, Scotch College ........

Grin Grin Grin

For an institution over 120 years old, this lack of familiarity must be either hugely humorous or deeply disappointing to the school itself.

Click here for a list of some of the 'elitists' - former students (maybe you'll find someone you have heard of):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Old_Boys_of_The_Scots_College_(Sydney)

I played football at Scots, both on their home grounds and ours, back in the late sixties. Scots itself is a member of the GPS , who had a great rivalry, back in those times, with CAS, another bunch of 'elitist' educators.

GPS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_Association_of_the_Great_Public_Schools_of...

CAS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Associated_Schools

Then there was always the Head of the River - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_of_the_River_(New_South_Wales)

What a great time that was! Almost 8,000 students on the riverbank all cheering for their teams. I sometimes coxed training teams in the tub fours in preparation for this event.

Before anyone starts casting aspersions on the efficiency and effectiveness of this type of schooling, they should start by reading the lists of Old Boys who have attended these institutions. Then consider the alternative education these people may have had and how, in this event, this country may have been changed.

The only 'elite' aspect of that time, to my mind, was the realisation that it was only those who could afford it who were able to give their children the benefit of an advanced education. Remembering, of course, that it was a university education you were being trained for and there were people at home living in railway 99 year lease housing.

When I attended these schools, I had no say in the matter. It was the same for the majority of those I encountered in my time there. We were merely following our parents orders, who, in most cases, were products of similar educational facilities.

Back to the topic.

Yes, we had armouries at school, and yes, we had real rifles. Lee-Enfield MkII's, I think. All the cadets had them. We went on a training exercise at Singleton army base, running around in the midnight scrub (probably in preparation for impending Vietnam service). A lot of the boys were boarders from the country who already had previous firearms experience as a day-to-day reality.

Gen Y - no experience and all expectation.

'Bout time you started learning what it's like to piss on your blisters.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #425 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 5:04am

My my,

another Gun shooting, in Lockhart.

Sad    Angry

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

gone
Gold Member

Australian Politics

somewhere
Reply #426 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 4:43pm

is this RIGHT? 

Quote:

The day a group of fukked up violent men - who are not known to you at all - start bashing in your door, trying to break into your house, despite knowing that someone is at home...you will change your mind!!!  It happened to me.  A gun is the only proper self defense weapon. That's why police carry them.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #427 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 5:36pm

Who allows that 'group' of men to have those Guns in the first place? Good on John Howard in his effort.

Also, I'm sure a 'Military Insurance' is just as viable as a Medical one.

I'm sure any 'Gangsta/Biker/Retard' who desires to commit violence via the 'Gun' - will think twice when a Tank rolls up with the 'real Pros' in it and who won't be reading 'their' Rights to carry guns. Tongue

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #428 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 8:44pm

gone wrote on Sep 17th, 2014 at 4:43pm:
[quote author=Baronvonrort link=1389775225/414#414 date=1409974286][quote author=jalane3311@yahoo.c link=1389775225/411#411 date=1409839969]

is this RIGHT? 

The day a group of fukked up violent men - who are not known to you at all - start bashing in your door, trying to break into your house, despite knowing that someone is at home...you will change your mind!!!  It happened to me.  A gun is the only proper self defense weapon. That's why police carry them.

I have also had the misfortune of being in that position..  many yrs ago now.. 

myself and several others.. sharing a large house...  we were robbed,  some were bashed, ..  the invaders had a machete and a sawn-off..  we had nothing..

in the circumstances,, it is probably just as well,  because no-one was seriously injured..  just a lot poorer..

However ..  if one of us had had a GUN.. and knew how to be effective with it...  I am thinking the outcome would have been different..  and  NOT in favor of the bad guys.

live every day

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #429 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 12:30am

Emma, if you had a gun, you and your friends would have needed not only the training to use it but the determination as well.  One thing I am sure of is that criminals tend to be a great deal more determined than most law-abiding people and are much more prepared to inflict harm if compliance does not occur with their demands.

One of the fallacies of the gun nuts is that mere ownership of a firearm will mean that it's owner will be able and prepared to use it when the time comes.  It doesn't.

Soldiers and police go through considerable mental preparation to allow them to use their guns to shoot people.  Even then, most research shows that they tend to unintentionally fire to miss their targets in the heat of the moment.   Criminals OTOH usually don't.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #430 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 1:00am

Which is why I commented 

"However ..  if one of us had had a GUN.. and knew how to be effective with it.." 

I do understnad your point.

live every day

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #431 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 3:20pm

|dev|null wrote on Sep 16th, 2014 at 4:54pm:
Quote:

Bloody elitists.  Shutdown Scotch College then the problems of securing these firearms would go away.    Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Grin

The public high school i went to had an air rifle range, were we elitists?

Islamic apologists would never say anything bad about middle eastern people walking around with machetes while trying to steal firearms which happens to be illegal, blame the potential victims of crime instead of the offenders is the idiocy of leftards.

Quote:
The older brother of Australia's first suicide bomber and a co accused have been remanded in custody after being charged with terrorism related offences.

Agim Kruezi faced 5 charges,including unlawfully possessing a sawn off .22 calibre semi automatic firearm.
www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-11/two-men-due-in-court-on-terrorism-related-charges...

Quote:
Adnan Darwiche said-
This is whats gunna happen,Fidel can drive down the road and shoot at their house, when they come out to see what the bugger happened, me and Abdul will be standing on the corner with SKS's and blast them.
The gunmen fired 55 rounds but  missed, in fact the gunmen were so inaccurate that shots hit houses as far east as #96 which is 5 houses down the street.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwiche-Razzak-Fahda_family_conflict

Was the SKS these guys used outlawed 7 years before they shot up the street?

Australia has more guns today than what we had before the gun buy back, our firearm deaths are the lowest they have ever been.
In Australia the statement of more guns = less firearm deaths is true!

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #432 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 3:34pm

Emma wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 1:00am:
Which is why I commented 

"However ..  if one of us had had a GUN.. and knew how to be effective with it.." 

Gun nutter?
www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Would-273544871.html

Another gun nutter-
www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/08/29/lancaster-ohio-lancaster-woman-scares-of...

More gun nutters-
www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/arizona-widow-shoots-home-invader-assaulted-artic...

Defensive gun use does not require a shot to be fired,people usually surrender when a gun is pointed at them.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #433 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 4:10pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 3:20pm:
|dev|null wrote on Sep 16th, 2014 at 4:54pm:

The public high school i went to had an air rifle range, were we elitists?

Yes.  My high school was lucky it had a flat football!  Bloody posh bastards.  I say get rid of bloody private schools and schools for wankers like you! Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #434 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 9:36pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 3:34pm:
Emma wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 1:00am:
Which is why I commented 

Gun nutter?
www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Would-273544871.html

Another gun nutter-
www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/08/29/lancaster-ohio-lancaster-woman-scares-of...

More gun nutters-
www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/arizona-widow-shoots-home-invader-assaulted-artic...

Defensive gun use does not require a shot to be fired,people usually surrender when a gun is pointed at them.

So long as the other guy doesn't have a firearm........

might try and read your links..

live every day

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 144
Send Topic Print