Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 
Send Topic Print
Gun laws in Australia (Read 206184 times)
Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Re: Gun laws in Australia
Reply #2115 - Sep 2nd, 2015 at 6:35pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Sep 2nd, 2015 at 4:32pm:
Pho Huc wrote on Sep 2nd, 2015 at 4:28pm:
Baronvonrort wrote on Sep 2nd, 2015 at 4:10pm:
Pho Huc wrote on Sep 2nd, 2015 at 4:05pm:
easel wrote on Sep 2nd, 2015 at 3:47pm:
If someone wants to kill an individual they can use a knife. Or petrol and a lighter. Or a baseball bat. Or a shovel.

But if someone wants to kill ten people its much easier with self loading firearms.
Controlling firearms does not stop murder. It does reduce mass murder though,

Our second worst mass shooting had 10 people killed with a single shot bolt action .22lr rifle.

I wont even shoot foxes with a ,22

My father has shot thousands of foxes with his .22, you must be a lousy shot.

Thousands? busy man.

Its not that a .22 cant kill a fox. its just not 100% reliable at range.  I refuse to shoot to wound.
As a marksman i'm probably average for a country boy. My old man was a target shooter and he taught me the craft. I only shoot rabbits, if i'm on my game reliable headshots out to 80m freehand or double that with a rest. I only use subsonics so bullet drop and drift becomes a real issue at long ranges.

The law locks up the man who steals the goose from the common, but leaves the greater criminal loose who steals the common from the goose (convict saying)

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #2116 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 11:36am

Rabbits taken with a .22

Perfect bunny hunting gun which was taken from recreational shooters back in 1996,take note of the sound moderator which does not silence it.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #2117 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 11:53am

Pho Huc wrote on Sep 2nd, 2015 at 6:35pm:
Baronvonrort wrote on Sep 2nd, 2015 at 4:32pm:
Pho Huc wrote on Sep 2nd, 2015 at 4:28pm:
Baronvonrort wrote on Sep 2nd, 2015 at 4:10pm:
Pho Huc wrote on Sep 2nd, 2015 at 4:05pm:
easel wrote on Sep 2nd, 2015 at 3:47pm:
If someone wants to kill an individual they can use a knife. Or petrol and a lighter. Or a baseball bat. Or a shovel.

But if someone wants to kill ten people its much easier with self loading firearms.
Controlling firearms does not stop murder. It does reduce mass murder though,

Our second worst mass shooting had 10 people killed with a single shot bolt action .22lr rifle.

I wont even shoot foxes with a ,22

My father has shot thousands of foxes with his .22, you must be a lousy shot.

Thousands? busy man.

Its not that a .22 cant kill a fox. its just not 100% reliable at range.  I refuse to shoot to wound.
As a marksman i'm probably average for a country boy. My old man was a target shooter and he taught me the craft. I only shoot rabbits, if i'm on my game reliable headshots out to 80m freehand or double that with a rest. I only use subsonics so bullet drop and drift becomes a real issue at long ranges.

My father has been shooting them for over 50 years, he prefers his .22 with head shots because he still skins them.

Most pistols with the exception of 357 and 44 magnum are subsonic so they have same bullet drop problems,ballistic coefficient is worse with pistol rounds,the low BC projectiles in .22 and pistol rounds get blown around by crosswinds.

Here is a fox being taken with a .22

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #2118 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 11:55am

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #2119 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 9:32pm

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #2120 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 10:21pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Sep 8th, 2015 at 11:55am:

Agreed, good article.

The law locks up the man who steals the goose from the common, but leaves the greater criminal loose who steals the common from the goose (convict saying)

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #2121 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 12:09pm

Pho Huc wrote on Sep 8th, 2015 at 10:21pm:
Baronvonrort wrote on Sep 8th, 2015 at 11:55am:

Agreed, good article.

I found this AIC study from 2007-2008
Quote:
Page 14
Cause of death in homicide incidents

Stab wounds - 114 victims
Beatings - 64 victims
Gunshot wounds - 30 victims
Strangulation/Suffocation - 18 victims
Other eg hit by car - 13 victims

Page 31
Conclusion-
Firearm involvement in homicide increased slightly (12%, up from 9% in previous year) however firearm involvement still remains at an historical low.
The majority of firearms used in homicides were unregistered and/or unlicensed
www.aic.gov.au/media_library/publications/mr/mr13/mr13.pdf

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #2122 - Sep 28th, 2015 at 11:41am

Quote:
In Pictures:The frightening weapon collection found in an inner Sydney home.

A cache of drugs and weapons,including a compound bow and arrows and an imitation grenade,have been seized by Police.

The Pyrmont home was raided on Thursday,with officers uncovering nine airsoft firearms including machine guns,rifles and a pistol,as well as the drug ice and cash.

A 28 year old man has been charged and granted bail.
9news.com.au/national/2015/09/25/09/50/cache-of-guns-found-by-nsw-police

Uzi,M16,MP5, lots of scary looking firearms there, they could not have been stolen from law abiding firearm owners because airsoft guns have never been legal in Australia.
The only way these airsoft guns could come into Australia is by illegal importation.

What is the big deal about having a compound bow they are not illegal.

The hoplophobic media are on a scare campaign here, I don't think anyone has been hurt with an airsoft gun, a paintball gun leaves bigger bruises than airsoft guns,the hoplophbes are pushing their idiocy in claiming airsoft is frightening.

IP Logged

MumboJumbo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2123 - Oct 6th, 2015 at 10:58pm

This thread is starting to look like the rugby...

See Profile For Update wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 2:58pm:
Why the bugger did I get stuck on a planet chalked full of imbeciles?

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #2124 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 9:01am

In light of the Terror Attacks in Paris, & the likelihood of similar terrorist activity here (not if, but when) do you think it's high time that we start a political dialog concerning approval of firearms for law abiding citizens, citizens who wish to own & keep firearms for the sole purpose of personal protection  --  all predicated on that any potential approval would be dependent on passing a predetermined battery of screening tests, ensuring that those selected for approval have an extremely low likelihood, if any, of using these firearms for criminal activity?

Quote:
The police can't stop an intruder, mugger, or stalker from hurting you. They can pursue him only after he has hurt or killed you.
Protecting yourself from harm is your responsibility, and you are far less likely to be hurt in a neighborhood of gun-owners than in one of disarmed citizens — even if you don't own a gun yourself.

What say you?

« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2015 at 9:39am by Panther »  

"When the People fear government there is Tyranny;
When government fears the People there is Freedom & Liberty!"

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2125 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 1:24pm

MumboJumbo wrote on Oct 6th, 2015 at 10:58pm:
This thread is starting to look like the rugby...

https://media1.giphy.com/media/FSwNaUgfLGCf6/200.gif

Not enough scrum penalties.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #2126 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 11:12am

Panther wrote on Nov 16th, 2015 at 9:01am:

In light of the Terror Attacks in Paris, & the likelihood of similar terrorist activity here (not if, but when) do you think it's high time that we start a political dialog concerning approval of firearms for law abiding citizens, citizens who wish to own & keep firearms for the sole purpose of personal protection  --  all predicated on that any potential approval would be dependent on passing a predetermined battery of screening tests, ensuring that those selected for approval have an extremely low likelihood, if any, of using these firearms for criminal activity?

Quote:
The police can't stop an intruder, mugger, or stalker from hurting you. They can pursue him only after he has hurt or killed you.
Protecting yourself from harm is your responsibility, and you are far less likely to be hurt in a neighborhood of gun-owners than in one of disarmed citizens — even if you don't own a gun yourself.

What say you?

Id rather see more effort put into programs designed to reduce the chance of terrorist incidents than  a knee jerk law change in response to a temporary change in social climate. As the US can attest, once people have their guns they can be quite unreasonable about relinquishing them, even if they have no further need of them. In 40-50 years it will be a new problem presenting society, and I would rather avoid the legacies a proliferation of firearms ensures.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #2127 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 11:23am

Pho Huc wrote on Nov 27th, 2015 at 11:12am:
As the US can attest, once people have their guns they can be quite unreasonable about relinquishing them, even if they have no further need of them.    

The USA constitution does protect the rights of gun owners in the USA , only a dumbfvckistani would claim sticking up for constitutional rights is unreasonable.

Are you saying they should have stupid gun laws like ours which make farmers buy another shotgun if they want to clay target shoot?

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #2128 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 5:26pm

Pho Huc wrote on Nov 27th, 2015 at 11:12am:
Panther wrote on Nov 16th, 2015 at 9:01am:

Quote:

What say you?

Id rather see more effort put into programs designed to reduce the chance of terrorist incidents than  a knee jerk law change in response to a temporary change in social climate. As the US can attest, once people have their guns they can be quite unreasonable about relinquishing them, even if they have no further need of them. In 40-50 years it will be a new problem presenting society, and I would rather avoid the legacies a proliferation of firearms ensures.   

Relinquish them???  Why relinquish a viable option, maybe the only option, for defending yourself & your family......

So, you don't believe in bringing a gun to a gunfight, reason & logic coupled with the rule of law will stop them in their tracks.....

You'd rather the cops.....only 1/2 hr away.....to enforce the law & take the guns away from those balaclava wearing desperadoes banging on your back door.....Tell your kids not to worry......Hey, offer em tea & biscuits.....ignore the tall one eying up your 12 year old daughter like a rare steak........sure, tell em a few jokes till the good guys with guns show up, take away the bad guys guns, & save the day......  Shocked Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2015 at 5:35pm by Panther »  

"When the People fear government there is Tyranny;
When government fears the People there is Freedom & Liberty!"

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #2129 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 11:43pm

Julia Gorin

The anti-gun male

JewishWorldReview.com | LET'S be honest. He's scared of the thing. That's understandable--so am I. But as a girl I have the luxury of being able to admit it. I don't have to masquerade squeamishness as grand principle-in the interest of mankind, no less.

A man does. He has to say things like "One Taniqua Hall is one too many," as a New York radio talk show host did in referring to the 9-year old New York girl who was accidentally shot last year by her 12-year old cousin playing with his uncle's gun. But the truth is he desperately needs Taniqua Hall, just like he needs as many Columbines and Santees as can be mustered, until they spell an end to the Second Amendment. And not for the benefit of the masses, but for the benefit of his self-esteem.

He often accuses men with guns of "compensating for something." The truth is quite the reverse. After all, how is he supposed to feel knowing there are men out there who aren't intimidated by the big bad inanimate villain? How is he to feel in the face of adolescent boys who have used the family gun effectively in defending the family from an armed intruder? So if he can't touch a gun, he doesn't want other men to be able to either. And to achieve his ends, he'll use the only weapon he knows how to manipulate: the law.

Of course, sexual and psychological insecurities don't account for ALL men against guns. Certainly there must be some whose motives are pure, who perhaps do care so much as to tirelessly look for policy solutions to teenage void and aggressiveness, and to parent and teacher negligence. But for a potentially large underlying contributor, psycho-sexual inadequacy has gone unexplored and unacknowledged. It's one thing to not be comfortable with a firearm and therefore opt to not keep or bear one. But it's another to impose the same handicap onto others.

People are suspicious of what they do not know-and not only does this man not know how to use a gun, he doesn't know the men who do, or the number of people who have successfully used one to defend themselves from injury or death. But he is better left in the dark; his life is hard enough knowing there are men out there who don't sit cross-legged. That they're able to handle a firearm instead of being handled by it would be too much to bear.

Such a man is also best kept huddled in urban centers, where he feels safer than he might if thrown out on his own into a rural setting, in an isolated house on a quiet street where he would feel naked and helpless. Lacking the confidence that would permit him to be sequestered in sparseness, and lacking a gun, he finds comfort in the cloister of crowds.

The very ownership of a gun for defense of home and family implies some assertiveness and a certain self-reliance. But if our man kept a gun in the house, and an intruder broke in and started attacking his wife in front of him, he wouldn't be able to later say, "He had a knife--there was nothing I could do!" Passively watching in horror while already trying to make peace with the violent act, scheduling a therapy session and forgiving the perpetrator before the attack is even finished wouldn't be the option it otherwise is.

No. Better to emasculate all men. Because let's face it: He's a lover, not a fighter. And he doesn't want to get shot in case he has an affair with your wife.

Of course, it wouldn't be completely honest not to admit that owning a firearm carries with it some risk to unintended targets. That's the tradeoff with a gun: The right to defend one's life and way of life isn't without peril to oneself. And the last thing this man wants to do is risk his life-if even to save it. For he is guided by a dread fear for his life, and has more confidence in almost anyone else's ability to protect him than his own, preferring to place himself at the mercy of the villain or in the sporadically competent hands of authorities (his line of defense consisting of locks, alarm systems, reasoning with the attacker, calling the police or, should fighting back occur to him, thrashing a heavy vase).

In short, he is a man begging for subjugation. He longs for its promise of equality in helplessness. Because only when that strange, independent alpha breed of male is helpless along with him will he feel adequate. Indeed, his freedom lies in this other man's containment

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/julia/gorin030802.asp

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 
Send Topic Print