Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 144
Send Topic Print
Gun laws in Australia (Read 206188 times)
gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Re: Gun laws in Australia
Reply #210 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 6:24pm

|dev|null wrote on Jul 30th, 2014 at 6:20pm:
Guns don't belong in modern society.  They should be banned completely, only the police and the military should have them!   Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

Only if you really really like the possibility of living in a Orwellian Dictatorship.

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #211 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 7:06pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Jul 30th, 2014 at 11:25am:
freediver wrote on Jul 28th, 2014 at 10:06pm:
So 10% of the population has a gun licence? I call bullshit.

This map shows firearm distribution in Vic-
blogs.crikey.com.au/theurbanist/2014/06/30/whats-the-geography-of-licensed-firea...

In 2012 we had 766,504 registered guns in NSW-
www.smh.com.au/nsw/guns-in-nsw-where-they-are-legally-20120208-1razj.html

7.5 million people in NSW,766,504 registered firearms

So that means only 2% of licensed firearm owners have two guns?

Quote:
If guns make it easier to kill then explain why this guy was shot 5 times and lived.

Do I really need to explain this to you?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #212 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 7:08pm

OK!

Let's play the game of banning guns.

We have two choices:

* All civilians, worldwide, are banned from owning firearms - that is permitted for the military and police forces only.

Sound like a plan?

* Ban guns altogether - remove them from the world.

Feasible?

Or are we to limit such restrictions to our own country?

Wise?

Even if it were possible to confine such a proposal to the two choices above, so what?

Given Man's history, ambition and inventiveness, what supplants the gun? And please don't insult the collective intelligence here and suggest that another weapon of personal and communal defence will not be chosen, such a move would merely open a floodgate of options.

We're already facing a movement that would dominate the world by sword. Should we start practising the long lost art of swordsmanship?

Or should we all be lulled into a false, possibly fatal, sense of security by those who insist that the salvation of our various diverse societies across the world can be attained by the united sharpening of our collective pencils?

Humans have been murdering each other since they discovered an opposing digit - all the better to pick up a rock!

Q.   "You going to change human nature?"

A. 

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #213 - Aug 10th, 2014 at 1:33pm

|dev|null wrote on Jul 30th, 2014 at 6:20pm:
Guns don't belong in modern society.  They should be banned completely, only the police and the military should have them!   Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

Rural landowners/occupiers have a legal obligation to eradicate feral pests on their property by any lawful method,you might want to check such things as Wild dog pest control orders and other legislation requiring people to terminate feral pests before claiming guns don't belong in a modern society.

Since farmers have a legal obligation to remove feral pests from their property they can claim firearms and ammunition on tax.

A firearm is the best tool for dealing with feral pests,if anti gun bigots like you want to remove all guns does that leave poisoning with 1080 and trapping as the only other alternatives,are those methods considered cruel and inhumane?

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

MumboJumbo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #214 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:11am

Lionel Edriess wrote on Jul 31st, 2014 at 7:08pm:
We're already facing a movement that would dominate the world by sword. Should we start practising the long lost art of swordsmanship?

En garde! Up thine, thou knave!

Baronvonrort wrote on Aug 10th, 2014 at 1:33pm:
A firearm is the best tool for dealing with feral pests,if anti gun bigots like you want to remove all guns does that leave poisoning with 1080 and trapping as the only other alternatives,are those methods considered cruel and inhumane?

Can't speak for HB, but I think he's talking from an urban perspective. I think farmers are entitled t have guns, because they have a genuine use for them. But I'd suggest (feel free to enlighten me) that they wouldn't have a genuine need for a fully or even semi-automatic weapon. I'd hazard a guess that non-automatic would still suffice for killing vermin and trespassers, but would give other people a sporting chance should the farmer owning it suddenly flip out and decide to go on a shooting spree, a la america.

Agree?

See Profile For Update wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 2:58pm:
Why the bugger did I get stuck on a planet chalked full of imbeciles?

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #215 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:12am

My partner is a farmer and has a rifle, and she feels thats enough for her needs.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

MumboJumbo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #216 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:36am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:12am:
My partner is a farmer and has a rifle, and she feels thats enough for her needs.

Thank her for her sanity.

Also, handguns are inherently more likely to be abused than rifles, at least in an urban context. Consider a mugger - does he sniper you from a block away and steal your junk, or bust a cap in you ass with his shiny handgun?

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #217 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:36am

MumboJumbo wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:11am:
Lionel Edriess wrote on Jul 31st, 2014 at 7:08pm:

En garde! Up thine, thou knave!

Baronvonrort wrote on Aug 10th, 2014 at 1:33pm:

Can't speak for HB, but I think he's talking from an urban perspective. I think farmers are entitled t have guns, because they have a genuine use for them. But I'd suggest (feel free to enlighten me) that they wouldn't have a genuine need for a fully or even semi-automatic weapon. I'd hazard a guess that non-automatic would still suffice for killing vermin and trespassers, but would give other people a sporting chance should the farmer owning it suddenly flip out and decide to go on a shooting spree, a la america.

Agree?

I don't know about trespassers, but if you've ever tried hunting feral pigs or dogs, you'd know that a rapid fire rifle, like a semi-auto is a far safer and more practical option than a bolt or lever action rifle.

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #218 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:38am

MumboJumbo wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:36am:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:12am:

Thank her for her sanity.

Also, handguns are inherently more likely to be abused than rifles, at least in an urban context. Consider a mugger - does he sniper you from a block away and steal your junk, or bust a cap in you ass with his shiny handgun?

And handguns are inherently easier to smuggle into the country and sell illegally.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

MumboJumbo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #219 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:53am

gizmo_2655 wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:36am:
feral pigs or dogs,

I'd say you've a point about THAT! So when does your grenade launcher arrive?

gizmo_2655 wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:38am:
And handguns are inherently easier to smuggle into the country and sell illegally.

Just think western suburbs sydney? From memory though, weren't most of those guns legally owned by someone (and then stolen/sold/whatever)?

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #220 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 12:00pm

MumboJumbo wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:53am:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:36am:
feral pigs or dogs,

I'd say you've a point about THAT! So when does your grenade launcher arrive?

gizmo_2655 wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:38am:

Just think western suburbs sydney? From memory though, weren't most of those guns legally owned by someone (and then stolen/sold/whatever)?

Not getting a grenade launcher, far too inaccurate for hunting. Large calibre semi auto rifle with a 10 shot magazine would be better.

Yes, some handguns are legal ones that are stolen, but since the laws changed, there are less legal handguns in Australia (of the resell able sort) so it's a better option to import them from overseas. After all, what self-respecting crim is going to do a drive by, or armed hold up, with a single shot .22 cal target pistol???

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Reply #221 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 5:41pm

Quote:
Yes, some handguns are legal ones that are stolen, but since the laws changed, there are less legal handguns in Australia (of the resell able sort) so it's a better option to import them from overseas. After all, what self-respecting crim is going to do a drive by, or armed hold up, with a single shot .22 cal target pistol???

The bulk of black market handguns you can buy here are tired, old ex security weapons and others that were privately owned, but never actually registered - the ones that float around getting bought and sold all the time.

Ones that were completely legally owned and then stolen and ending up on the black market would only make up a small percentage. Same goes for new stuff that's been imported.

You're right, you don't see many target pistols, but nor do you see much newer stuff.

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #222 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 5:56pm

Life_goes_on wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 5:41pm:
Quote:

The bulk of black market handguns you can buy here are tired, old ex security weapons and others that were privately owned, but never actually registered - the ones that float around getting bought and sold all the time.

Ones that were completely legally owned and then stolen and ending up on the black market would only make up a small percentage. Same goes for new stuff that's been imported.

You're right, you don't see many target pistols, but nor do you see much newer stuff.

I don't know about not seeing the newer stuff. You really wouldn't expect to, unless they are seized by the police in a raid. There was that case backing 2012 with the Australia Post workers who'd imported at least 220 brand new Glocks from Germany.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #223 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 6:42pm

MumboJumbo wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:11am:
... I think farmers are entitled t have guns, because they have a genuine use for them. But I'd suggest (feel free to enlighten me) that they wouldn't have a genuine need for a fully or even semi-automatic weapon. ...

I quite agree that farmers, including graziers, are entitled to own firearms. In times of drought, farmers often have to protect young crops from predation and graziers sometimes have the heartbreaking necessity to cull large numbers of stock. This is quite apart from the necessary task of reducing feral animal numbers on their properties.

With regard to the firearms allowed, pump action and semi-auto shotguns are restricted as Category C, which removes them as an option for civilian shooters. In certain situations, particularly when dealing with feral pigs, a multi-round capacity is not only effective, but also safer - therefore highly desirable. A bolt-action centre-fire rifle is only safe with pigs at long distances. When you're down and dirty in the lignum, you want one of the two guns I surrendered during the initial buyback in 1996/7 - a Remington 5-shot coach gun or my dad's Browning semi-auto.

Farming is a full-time operation and there are many out there that appreciate the aid given by sporting shooters in managing feral populations. There is no way in the world that I would resume the style of pig-hunting I did in years past without at least a 12g. pump-action. So instances like that narrow the farmer's options while allowing feral numbers to expand.

You seem like a clever fellow and willing to engage. Why not Google the instances of street crime involving firearms, particularly those involving handguns and drive-by offences, prior to, and after 1996? Oh, and while you're at it, see if you can include the number of legally registered firearms involved in such instances. I have no doubt that you will find such research interesting.

Then. if you wish, you can get back to me and we can discuss the results.

I'll tell you something for nothing, if you can ever access the statistics, ethnicity will be a factor in firearm crime.  Cool

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #224 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 7:51pm

I've noticed that compared to the US, we get a lot of holdups with cricket bats, syringes, machetes, spearguns etc, often with the store owner scaring the robber away.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 144
Send Topic Print