Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 144
Send Topic Print
Gun laws in Australia (Read 206159 times)
Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Gun laws in Australia
Jan 15th, 2014 at 6:40pm

Our gun laws are very strict unless you want to own a handgun, all you have to do is join a club wait 6 months for your probationary period to end then you can buy an handgun for target shooting.

I think we should have strict gun laws, there is no need for someone who lives in cities to have a gun and i believe target shooting with pistols is a bullshit sport.

Quote:
A grazier recently found a mob of more than 300 feral pigs eating the grain he put out for his sheep, but the only thing he could shoot with was his camera.
www.sportingshootermag.com.au/news/300-pigs-and-not-one-gun

We had to register our firearms after the laws changed in 1996.
Quote:
Firearms data compromised says NSW Police sergeant
The storage details of 700,000 firearms may have fallen into criminal hands after being accessible by 16,000 Police and civilians on an unsecured file server for at least 18 months according to a Police whistleblower who says the Police heirachy refused to secure the data.

Sgt Good would not speculate on any direct link between gun theft and the unlawful release of gun owner details, however,anecdotal evidence shows that thefts occurred shortly after police had carried out an audit at a gun storage location.
www.sportingshootermag.com.au/news/firearms-data-compromised-says-nsw-police-ser...

I think the government should ease up on those law abiding people who live in the country and crack down on those who are illegally using firearms, our firearm laws are a disgrace.

Quote:
Truck driver and grandfather,Bob knight,66 was shot dead when a bullet travelled 120m out of the Milperra KFC car park and into his truck as he drove past.

The bullet came from the gun of Mahmoud Mariam, who had gone to the car park with a group of other men to settle a dispute with the rival Elkobali clan.
Almost instantly he began shooting at the Elkobalis with a Ruger pistol, with at least 10 rounds fired,in a freak occurence,one of the bullets hit and killed Mr Knight.
In may Mariam was convicted of manslaughter and affray,he was sentenced to at least 6 years jail,The NSW court of criminal appeal added 3 years and 9 months to his non parole period, he will be eligible for parole Jan 23 2020.
www.smh.com.au/nsw/truck-driver-bob-knights-killer-mahmoud-mariam-has-sentence-i...

I dont recall many drive by shootings in Sydney before our strict gun laws in 1996,it would be interesting to compare statistics of drive by shootings prior to our strict laws to the frequency of them today.
https://www.google.com.au/#q=sydney+drive+by+shooting

I know a lady who feeds foxes every night, if she does not feed the foxes they take her chickens.
In the old days we would just shoot the foxes, if you ask a vet about using 1080 to poison them he would probably say shooting them is more humane.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Gun laws in Australia
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 5:03pm

As far as I know it is pretty easy for a farmer to get a gun license, unless you are in the habit of shooting people.

Feeding foxes to stop them eating your chickens is just stupid.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 10:13pm

freediver wrote on Jan 20th, 2014 at 5:03pm:
As far as I know it is pretty easy for a farmer to get a gun license, unless you are in the habit of shooting people.

Perhaps keeping them hungry is the answer? The rabbits are almost gone, aren't they? Ferrets are banned, aren't they?

Fox pelts were worth $70 each in the '80's.

Guess there's not much call for fox pelts these days. Fur is SO out of fashion.

Foxes remain an introduced feral pest though, don't they? Perhaps we could starve them out?

Too bugger*in' hard to own a .223 Remington these days.

Let the ferals loose and then bitch about the fate of the bilby!

Typical.

How many shot in the streets since Bryant? More than 35?

There was a time when we had a society who could be entrusted with such responsibilities.

Now we reside in a society where responsibility is abrogated - "it's not my fault."

Responsibility lies within choices, within societal mores.

I've had enough of a society that doesn't smack its children.

I've had enough of Government that doesn't represent the views of the majority.

I'm sick and tired of supporting those who have no interest in supporting themselves, and those who suck on the public teat.

Wages for workers, cages for crims, votes for the people and respect for the law.

What's so hard about that?

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 10:18pm

Yes, we should smack our children until the foxes leave the chickens in peace.

IP Logged

Chimp_Logic
Gold Member

πολιτικός

Mawson Base
Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 12:32am

freediver wrote on Jan 20th, 2014 at 10:18pm:
Yes, we should smack our children until the foxes leave the chickens in peace.

I now understand how you amassed 23145 posts

Mini Ice Age (2014-2029)
Dr Sircus cures cancer with Baking Soda and Magnesium - Jethro the MENTAL GIANT & his flute madness

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 7:08pm

freediver wrote on Jan 20th, 2014 at 5:03pm:

My mother owns a couple of hundred acres in Coolah, she lost her firearm license when a neighbor took an AVO out because of verbal abuse.
If you have an AVO taken out against you you lose your firearm license for 10 years.

Bit of a strawman with saying you dont get a license if you are in the habit of shooting people,the background checks can disqualify you if you have a minor criminal conviction or an AVO.

I counted 18 rabbits on one side of her driveway and 14 on the other when entering her property in my last visit, she has feral foxes and feral goats as well.

I can get a bolt action rifle to deal with this yet not allowed something like this because it is semi auto,click on images-
https://www.google.com.au/#q=pink+ruger+10/22

The lady i know who feeds foxes to stop them taking her chickens lives at Warwick Farm, there is an article in the paper today of a woman in Mascot feeding foxes, once upon a time we considered the fox a feral pest and they were shot on sight.
www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/city-east/wild-foxes-form-special-bond-with-...

The firearm registry is a joke,criminals dont register their firearms,can the government guarantee these lists are safe?
Quote:
The General manager of NSW firearms registry, has blamed the recent spike in firearms theft in the far west on slack owners....
Superintendent Lyons also blamed gun owners for thefts, saying it was more likely the weapons werent kept securely,and the owners could face charges

Detective Inspector Mick Stoltenberg of the Barrier local area command said the victims of the Broken hill thefts all had their weapons stored in safes that complied with current regulations.
The owners are doing the right thing he said, their safes do comply with the legal standard but obviously things appear as though somebody out there is definitely targeting firearm theft in our areas.
In the last 2 weeks 21 guns have been stolen,no other valuables were taken.
www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-28/gun-showdown/4917740?&section=news

If i lived in New Zealand i would be allowed to have a ruger 10/22 and a suppressor, is the homicide rate with guns lower in NZ?

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 8:05pm

By "verbal abuse" do you mean she threatened to shoot her neighbour?

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 10:27pm

Quote:
is the homicide rate with guns lower in NZ?

No. According to Wiki it's 0.13/100,000 in Australia and 0.26/100,000 in NZ.... so NZ has twice the rate.

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 11:01pm

freediver wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 8:05pm:

She never threatened any violence this was made clear in court.

Violence has been redefined in NSW to include harsh words, an AVO automatically means you hand in your weapons and license for 10 years in NSW.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 11:37pm

Life_goes_on wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 10:27pm:
Quote:
is the homicide rate with guns lower in NZ?

No. According to Wiki it's 0.13/100,000 in Australia and 0.26/100,000 in NZ.... so NZ has twice the rate.

So we could say in Australia 1.3 people for every million is a victim of gun homicide,do the stats indicate if it was done by a licensed registered gun owner or someone who disregards the laws?

Does that mean the odds are around 1 in a million you could be the victim of a gun homicide in Australia,how many people die from falling off ladders should we ban them as well?

In NZ where the gun laws are quite liberal even compared to parts of the USA who dont allow silencers as readily as NZ you only have 2.6 killed by guns for every million people.

From your wiki links-
Quote:
Gun homicides
2009-NZ =11 deaths Australia= 37 deaths
2008- Nz= 7 dead Aus=27 dead
2007- NZ= 5 Aus=28dead
2006- NZ=7 Aus=41 dead
2005- NZ=9 Aus=15
2004-NZ=6 Aus=15
2003-NZ=6 Aus =54
2002-NZ=8 Aus =45
2001-NZ=7 Aus=47
2000-Nz=7 Aus=57
www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/australia
www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/new-zealand

The homicide by any method shows NZ at 0.9 per 100,000 and Australia with 0.86 for 2011.

We have similar homicide rates by any method yet licensed law abiding gun owners are lumped in with criminals who dont obey the laws when it comes to firearms.

IP Logged

Chimp_Logic
Gold Member

πολιτικός

Mawson Base
Reply #10 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 3:04am

where do we draw the boundary as to what type of weapons a civilian can have access to?

automatic military style weapons?
assault sniper rifles?
hand guns?
grenades?
rocket launches?
land mines?
missiles?
tanks?
anti aircraft artillery?
small tactical nuclear weapons?

All can be effectively used to control foxes, and provide an efficient form of self defence.

Mini Ice Age (2014-2029)
Dr Sircus cures cancer with Baking Soda and Magnesium - Jethro the MENTAL GIANT & his flute madness

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 9:08am

Baronvonrort wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 11:01pm:

Violence has been redefined in NSW to include harsh words, an AVO automatically means you hand in your weapons and license for 10 years in NSW.

So what did she say? I am a bit skeptical about people getting AVOs for saying mean things.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 7:46pm

Chimp_Logic wrote on Jan 25th, 2014 at 3:04am:
where do we draw the boundary as to what type of weapons a civilian can have access to?

automatic military style weapons?
Automatic weapons have never been allowed in Australia.

assault sniper rifles?
What is an assault sniper rifle, how does it differ from a target rifle?

hand guns?
Olympic target shooting is a sport,The criminals dont register their guns

grenades?
Have they ever been allowed?
rocket launches?
land mines?
missiles?
tanks?
anti aircraft artillery?
small tactical nuclear weapons?
Fukn imbecile, have these ever been allowed?

All can be effectively used to control foxes, and provide an efficient form of self defence.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 8:05pm

freediver wrote on Jan 25th, 2014 at 9:08am:
Baronvonrort wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 11:01pm:

So what did she say? I am a bit skeptical about people getting AVOs for saying mean things.

She said a lot of nasty things, there was no evidence or fear of violence, the AVO was about harsh words.
Her 22lr bolt action rifle which she has owned for 45 years without shooting anyone was confiscated.

A firearms license can be cancelled if you have a conviction for Drugs ,violence or sexual offences, if you have an AVO taken out against you or are given a good behaviour bond,of course any mental health issues also see you losing your firearms license.
I wonder how many greens could pass the background checks.

Leftists usually say dont judge all muslims on the behaviour of a few devout fundamentalists,  they are hypocrites when it comes to law abiding shooters who have passed background checks , they cannot differentiate between a law abiding firearm owner and a criminal when it comes to guns and lump us all in the same group.

The 1996 gun laws was collective punishment on law abiding gun owners resulting from a madman at Pt Arthur.

I think they should remove the presumption of bail for criminals who are unlicensed with unregistered guns.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 3:08pm

Quote:
A push by the state government body that regulates recreational hunting in NSW to overturn a ban on the use of silencers on hunting weapons has outraged gun control advocates who say they will end up in the hands of criminals.

However the chairwoman of the National coalition for gun control,Samantha Lee has warned overturning the ban would inevitably lead to their sale on the black market.

Mr Boyle rejected claims that allowing silencers would lead to their criminal use, moderators are very simple devices and easily attached to firearms he said, the simple fact is criminals do not obey the law and could easily produce and attach them to firearms now.
www.smh.com.au/nsw/fury-over-shooters-push-to-use-silencers-20110415-1dhuz.html

For professional shooters a silencer is an occupational health and safety issue, there are a few brown snakes on my mothers property and i cannot hear them slithering through the scrub when wearing ear muffs.

Imbeciles like Samantha Lee should be held personally liable for any hearing damage suffered by professional shooters, why do these idiots insist on punishing all law abiding shooters while offering nothing on dealing with criminal use of firearms.

If a gun fires a projectile faster than the speed of sound you will hear a supersonic crack, you cannot silence this sound, a 22LR using subsonic ammo will not break the sound barrier so they are quiet yet they lose a lot of power firing a slower velocity round.

I think professional shooters should be allowed to use silencers, it is an occupational health and safety issue for us

As for proper gun laws how about removing the presumption of bail for those who posses unregistered firearms while unlicensed.

Any firearm offence is currently served concurrently with criminal offences which means they dont add any time to someone convicted of a criminal offence while using a firearm, the solution is to no longer allow firearm offences to be served concurrently and make them start after the criminal offence has been served.

If you want effective gun control laws perhaps it is better to ask those who have to use them instead of those leftists who have no bugger%ing idea.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 144
Send Topic Print