Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 21
Send Topic Print
Pew survey of Muslims' opinions (Read 53441 times)
polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Pew survey of Muslims' opinions
Reply #150 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 3:23pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 12:57pm:
Malaysia is not a real democracy. However, as a model of political-economics, it has far more in common with Confuscian states like Singapore and China than any Islamic state you can think of (and there's aren't many of them).

Thats a very astute observation K.

Islamic politics in Malaysia is inextricably entwined in the politics of nationalism, as you mentioned. Malays need to assert a sort of stabilising dominance, and islam is the vehicle. The occasional crazy cleric and stupid politician who complains about dogs at the Commonwealth games are the useful idiots in these political games. The mainstream media dutifully plays along as well.

And yet at the same time there is a funny paradox where an ethnic-unity nationalism is also pushed. The dominant and ruling UMNO party ostensibly stands for ethnic Malays, (United Malays National Organisation), yet it in reality its the party that most represents and promotes the unity of all 3 ethnic groups, and also promoting a secular nationalism, where islam is a mere backdrop. Yesterday was independence day - few countries display their national enthusiasm as much as Malaysia. The government will be pushing cheesy ads on the TV that have hijabi girls alongside non-hijabi girls, malays laughing with their chinese and Indian brothers and sisters, and of course much flag waving - superimposed with historic footage of past PMs looking on sagely.

This is the strange juggling act the government runs - assert a benign malay/islamic dominance, while at the same time cashing in on the 'feel-good' ethnic unity card. But as you point out - the "islamic" politics has very little to do with actual islamism as we understand it in the ME and Africa. Its more about maintaining the same economic model that has served Malaysia so well for the past 50 years.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #151 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 6:07pm

Quote:
I would hazzard a guess that Malays - like Muslim Thais - follow a hardline view of Islamic identity because they're a minority.

of 60%?

Quote:
Malaysia has succeeded largely due to the willingness of its people to develop economically and let the government do what it does. The old Chinese analogy is to let the ruler hold the head of the cow while you milk it, and this is why the idea of stonings and beheadings and Hudud laws are so ridiculous in Malaysia. They're the sort of political fantasy Australians have when they talk of deporting Muslims and bringing back the death penalty.

Gandalf tried to push the same line previously. However, one of the states where Muslims who support apostasy form the majority of the (total) population did actually pass the death penalty for apostasy into law. It was only struck down by the federal court on constitutional grounds. Where they have the majority and the opportunity, they vote in the death penalty for apostasy. It was the opportunity that was denied to them, not the will.

Quote:
Appears my analysis is supported by others.  It is not what it reports but the method and means by which it reports it Yadda and Soren.

So it is true, but they don't try blaming the victim or whatever spin you want them to place on it? Perhaps they just need to describe it as a long list of murders that just happened to be committed by Muslims on non-Muslims?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #152 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 7:07pm

freediver wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 6:07pm:
Quote:
I would hazzard a guess that Malays - like Muslim Thais - follow a hardline view of Islamic identity because they're a minority.

of 60%?

Quote:
Malaysia has succeeded largely due to the willingness of its people to develop economically and let the government do what it does. The old Chinese analogy is to let the ruler hold the head of the cow while you milk it, and this is why the idea of stonings and beheadings and Hudud laws are so ridiculous in Malaysia. They're the sort of political fantasy Australians have when they talk of deporting Muslims and bringing back the death penalty.

Gandalf tried to push the same line previously. However, one of the states where Muslims who support apostasy form the majority of the (total) population did actually pass the death penalty for apostasy into law. It was only struck down by the federal court on constitutional grounds. Where they have the majority and the opportunity, they vote in the death penalty for apostasy. It was the opportunity that was denied to them, not the will.

Gee, you must think Malaysia is a true democracy, FD, but alas, majorities of populations don’t pass (or propose) laws.

If this was the case, Fred Nile would represent the majority of Australians in the NSW Upper House.

He’s certainly proposed a few laws in his time too - abortion, sodomy, you name it. Mind you, he’s given up.on all that now, and just passes the government’s laws. Much easier.

Let’s just stick with demokracy and not get too ahead of ourselves here. If, as you say, Iraq is the next South Korea, Malaysia must be a true beacon of Freeedom, no?

No. I didn’t think so.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #153 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 7:25pm

Quote:
Gee, you must think Malaysia is a true democracy, FD, but alas, majorities of populations don’t pass (or propose) laws.

If this was the case, Fred Nile would represent the majority of Australians in the NSW Upper House.

You've really outdone yourself here Karnal.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #154 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 7:44pm

freediver wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 7:25pm:
Quote:

You've really outdone yourself here Karnal.

Have I now?

Oh well, every day in every way I’m getting better and better.

Say it once a day and, insh’allah, you’ll outdo yourself too. Who knows?

You might even become the 2007 FD again.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #155 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 9:30pm

Soren wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 11:40am:
Brian Ross wrote on Aug 31st, 2014 at 9:32pm:
Did you ever answer the question asked in the other thread, FD about whether this was a longitudinal survey or a latitudinal one?   I don't seem to remember an answer.

This survey is an interesting snapshot of Muslim opinions in certain countries (and even the graphs note, many of the opinions are not directly comparable across national boundaries 'cause they asked slightly different questions in different countries), at the time that survey was taken.

Here's a monthly report:

Your right-wing think-tank is not a survey of public opinion, Soren.

You willing to have a go at the question?  We know FD won't answer it, he's been given several chances now.  Lets see if you can step up and answer it?   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #156 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 10:23pm

So what is untrue or biased in those reports?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #157 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 8:02pm

Soren wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 10:23pm:

Where did I suggest that, Soren?  I pointed out that reporting events is not a sure indicator of what the general public are thinking.  Do you believe it is?   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #158 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 8:27pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 2nd, 2014 at 8:02pm:

Where did I suggest that, Soren?  I pointed out that reporting events is not a sure indicator of what the general public are thinking.  Do you believe it is?   Roll Eyes

Well, what do YOU think of these reports?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #159 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 8:47pm

Soren wrote on Sep 2nd, 2014 at 8:27pm:

What do I think?  I think they are reporting event which are alleged to have occurred.  Considering their source is a right-wing whacko Christian and Zionist think tank, I'd take them with a handful of salt, Soren.   My scepticism is based upon you as an example of someone who'll take any report about Muslims and bend it to suit your bigoted agenda.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #160 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 8:54pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 2nd, 2014 at 8:47pm:
Soren wrote on Sep 2nd, 2014 at 8:27pm:

What do I think?  I think they are reporting event which are alleged to have occurred.  Considering their source is a right-wing whacko Christian and Zionist think tank, I'd take them with a handful of salt, Soren.   My scepticism is based upon you as an example of someone who'll take any report about Muslims and bend it to suit your bigoted agenda.   Roll Eyes

Yes, but the old boy does this out of love.

He loves Danish.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #161 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 9:12pm

If you had actually looked at the reports you would have seen that each event reported is sourced and verifiable. But actually looking and thinking for yourselves, PB and Brain, is something utterly alien to your mental habits.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #162 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 11:14pm

Soren wrote on Sep 2nd, 2014 at 9:12pm:
If you had actually looked at the reports you would have seen that each event reported is sourced and verifiable. But actually looking and thinking for yourselves, PB and Brain, is something utterly alien to your mental habits.

Soren, "verifiable" in what way?

I think far more than you do, I suspect.  I give people a fair go.  You don't. You persecute Muslims.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #163 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 11:30pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 2nd, 2014 at 11:14pm:

I think far more than you do, I suspect.  I give people a fair go.  You don't. You persecute Muslims.   Roll Eyes

Have a look and you will see how they are all verifiable news reports.

I give you a few years' worth of news from around the world, document I g the persecution and murder of Christians by Muslims - and you call me persecutor of Muslims. AND call that thinking. Your craven, spineless apologetics on display, hot breath Brain.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #164 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 11:05am

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 2nd, 2014 at 11:14pm:

"Verifiable" in that they are reports from online media sources.  As most who are Islamophobic question any MSM report favourable to Muslims, why are they so trusting of reports which are critical of Muslims?  Oh, wait, of course, because it reinforces their Islamophobia!

It's particularly interesting that in many of the media reports that Soren's Islamophobic think-tank links to, it is actually Muslims who save the victims of these attacks.  Isn't that rather contradictory to the claim that Soren makes that it's the attackers are the true Muslims and those that question their motives "apostates"?    Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 21
Send Topic Print