Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 188
Send Topic Print
spineless apologetics (Read 341183 times)
Pete Waldo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

U.S.
Re: spineless apologetics
Reply #645 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 10:00pm

Stratos wrote on Dec 30th, 2013 at 7:53am:
Pete Waldo wrote on Dec 30th, 2013 at 12:49am:
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above

So every image of an angel, God, or any depiction of the heaven is a sin?  I wonder how many Sunday School teachers have been willingly committing sin by showing Bible picture stories that involve these things?

I already explained to you through scripture why you cannot understand the things of the Spirit of God:

1Cr 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Nor do I desire to cast pearls before a willful unregenerate. The school teacher is likely not "willingly committing sin" because more than likely she is ignorant of the verse or doesn't understand it.

Rom 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

So if a person is ignorant, is too young or mentally handicapped to understand, or lives in some remote tribe and has never been shown or understood the Gospel of Jesus Christ, there is no transgression because for them there is no law.

While followers of the false prophet Muhammad are REQUIRED to prostrate themselves toward the Quraish pagan's black stone idol and kaaba in Mecca five times a day while they "pray in the vain repetitions as the heathen do" in the names of the Arabian pagan deity "Allah" and his "messenger" Muhammad.
falseprophetmuhammad.com/the_name_allah.htm

No, it would be a weak argument for a Roman Catholic to use. Jesus castigated the Pharisees for the same:

Well I sure hope you didn't celebrate Christmas a few days ago.  After all, it is based on the Pagan celebration of the Winter Solstice.

It is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, and it wouldn't matter what day of the year it fell on, though the scriptures don't go much easier on the Christmas tree than they do idols:

Jer 10:3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. 4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. 5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

Why exactly is the stone pagan by the way, traditionally it was said to have been built by Abraham?

Guffaw! Yes, "said" by a bunch of semi-literate SW Arabian desert dwellers in a ridiculous pile of poppycock of a scripture-contrary, counter-religion with a pre-Muhammad history-devoid, archaeology-absent, reality-rejecting, geographically-impossible so-called "tradition", that masquerades as thousands of years of pre-Muhammad history, yet was all created and put to the pen in the 7th to 10th centuries AD (from 100 to 300 years after Muhammad) without reference to any actual historical record that preceded the 6th century AD.

A counter-YHWH anti-religion with a carnal tradition of prostrating toward the Quraish pagan's black stone idol and Kaaba in Mecca five times a day - located 1200 kilometers away from THE Holy Land of the prophets and patriarchs - while praying in the "vain repetitions as the heathen do", in the names of the Arabian pagan deity "Allah" and his "messenger" Muhammad. Even compelled to perform adopted, adapted and thinly veneered pagan Arabian moon, sun, star and jinn-devil worship rituals.

While the 1600 year record of YHWH to mankind is well supported by history, ever increasingly supported by archaeology as well as fulfilled prophecy, is consistent with matter of fact physical geography, and can even be confirmed mathematically.
falseprophetmuhammad.com/evidence_for_islam.htm

You must have missed the "History of Mecca" thread:
ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1388067196

Pete Waldo wrote on Dec 30th, 2013 at 1:07am:
An individual incident does not make an ordnance

Oh good.  I'm going to remember you said that next time you decide to depict all Muslims as people who buy the blood of Christians to wash their hands with.

THE FACT IS that it IS AN ORDINANCE in Islam that all Muslims are to prostrate themselves toward the Quraish pagan's black stone idol.

Not surprisingly, that in your desperation you falsely accuse me of depicting "all Muslims as people who buy the blood of Christians to wash their hands with."
Thus reducing yourself to outright lies and libel, which you apparently can't see does not help your case, but it is perfectly consistent with what I am to expect in these times:

2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.    2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,    3  Without natural affection,trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce.....
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2013 at 10:07pm by Pete Waldo »  

Truth can never be told so as to be understood and not be believed. ~ William Blake
IP Logged

Stratos
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #646 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 11:01pm

Pete Waldo wrote on Dec 30th, 2013 at 10:00pm:
The school teacher is likely not "willingly committing sin" because more than likely she is ignorant of the verse or doesn't understand it.

She?  a she is teaching now is she?  Well she better stop for as the good book says;

Quote:
I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man;[b] she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15 But women[c] will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

Can't have women teaching the Bible now can we?  Also, if a teacher is ignorant of what they are suppsoed to be teaching, then they should be familiarised with this passage

Quote:
Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, and sound speech that cannot be condemned

It doesn't show good integrity if you are teaching the Bible without knowing what it says are you?

or lives in some remote tribe and has never been shown or understood the Gospel of Jesus Christ, there is no transgression because for them there is no law.

I have heard this before when i used to be a Christian, and I always wondered back then, what happens to someone who was clearly evil, such as a murderer, and had never heard the gospel.  What are they judged based on?  Also, not sure this fits in with the James passage about one sin making you guilty of all.

Guffaw! Yes, "said" by a bunch of semi-literate SW Arabian desert dwellers

I said traditionally, not factually.  Also, just because it is against your religion, doesn't necessarily make it wrong.  Prostrating yourself harms no-one and neither does praying at a certain time of day.   Stay with me, because the direction you are facing while praying also doesn't do any damage.  Revolutionary I know! 

THE FACT IS that it IS AN ORDINANCE in Islam that all Muslims are to prostrate themselves toward the Quraish pagan's black stone idol.

Again, why is this a bad thing?  All religions have rituals, and having to face a stone during prayer is no more out there than most religions you could care to name.

Pete Waldo wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 11:24pm:
Thus killing those Canaanite babies while they were still innocent, was a particularly merciful act

IP Logged

Pete Waldo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

U.S.
Reply #647 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 11:48pm

Stratos wrote on Dec 30th, 2013 at 11:01pm:
I have heard this before when i used to be a Christian....

You certainly aren't alone in suffering such self-delusion.

Jhn 10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

2Pe 2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. 22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2013 at 6:40am by Pete Waldo »  

Truth can never be told so as to be understood and not be believed. ~ William Blake
IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #648 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 6:06am

Stratos wrote on Dec 30th, 2013 at 1:08pm:
Yadda wrote on Dec 30th, 2013 at 10:18am:
Why do i care ?

I want people like gandalf, to be redeemed.

And not end up in HELL.

And God wants that too.

What a joke.  The other day you equated Islam to a bucket of sewerage, breaking one of your own passages.  How many Muslims do you think you are going to convert by calling their religion a bucket of poo?

Quote:
But have reverence for Christ in your hearts, and honor him as Lord. Be ready at all times to answer anyone who asks you to explain the hope you have in you,  but do it with gentleness and respect

All the gentleness and respect I have come to expect from someone who advocates the murder of infants as long as it's done by Christians.

Stratos,

Life [and God] have taught me to be discriminating, in what i choose to give my respect to.

Respect, for ISLAM ?

Respect, for the moslem ?

No.

Not, from me.

Are muslims God's people?
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1226445495/102#102

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Stratos
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #649 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 7:51am

Yadda wrote on Dec 31st, 2013 at 6:06am:
Respect, for ISLAM ?

Respect, for the moslem ?

You
['re] argument is
hypocrit
[al] [mod edit: it seems like a petty distinction I know, but I really do want to emphasise the need to attack the arguments, not the person]
, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

Did you miss what I said before, which by the way was from your own Holy Scriptures?

But have reverence for Christ in your hearts, and honor him as Lord. Be ready at all times to answer anyone who asks you to explain the hope you have in you,  but do it with gentleness and respect

Again, you didn't answer, so i'll ask again. 

Stratos wrote on Dec 30th, 2013 at 1:08pm:
How many Muslims do you think you are going to convert by calling their religion a bucket of poo?

If indeed you are worried at all about these people going to hell or not, which I seriously doubt
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2013 at 8:02am by polite_gandalf »  

Thus killing those Canaanite babies while they were still innocent, was a particularly merciful act

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #650 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 10:28am

Quote:
You did not explain it. You just made some lame-arsed throw away line about democracy (which makes no sense in a muslim dominated area like Aceh) and muslims never agreeing on who should be stoned or something.

We are talking about national laws in Malaysia. The explanation makes perfect sense there.

Quote:
Thats not an explanation at all

Yes it is.

Quote:
and I don't think its unreasonable to ask for further clarification on this

He wasn't asking for further clarification. He was pretending I never posted it (despite explaining it several times) and that I was avoiding the question.

Quote:
But whats really annoying is how you just deflect every time its brought up.

You asked. I answered. Several times.

Quote:
No more serious than the "debate" about bestiality being a realistic consequence of gay marriage after Tony Abbott intervened to gag Cory Bernadi and distance the coalition from it.

That is completely different. If roughly half the population shared Bernadi's view you might have a point. You don't.

Quote:
Yeah, except I don't see Malaysian politicians prance around declaring hudud laws are "the great moral challenge of our time" and placing it front and centre of their policy platform.

They put it differently. So what? At every stage you have attempted to downplay the significance of this issue in Malaysia, and at every stage you have completely misrepresented it.

Quote:
But I think you miss the point. Yes, elections are never referendums on single issues, but they are very good guages of which issues are front and centre in people's minds.

In other words, they allow you to make up whatever garbage you want about what Malaysians think is important, even when Anwar Ibrahim issued a statement on the issue just before the last election.

Quote:
A similar sort of thing in Malaysia regarding hudud laws. As you say, elections are never about single issues, but they are definitely about a set of key issues. And the fact is, hudud laws are simply not amongst those key issues.

Of course not. The two main leaders competing for the top job are opposed to it. That is what defines the main issues - those issue the two main parties disagree on. If Labor had had a policy of withdrawing immediately from Iraq, it would have been front and centre of Australians' minds. Likewise, if Anwar Ibrahim or one of his successors decides to run with the issue, it will suddenly become front and centre of Malaysian politics (and the liklihood of it eventually passing into legislation goes up overnight). This could happen at any time without a major change in thought among Malaysians. In other words, elections are a gauge of what elections are fought over.

Quote:
Furthermore, the proof in the pudding is that the ruling BN party can proudly and openly declare they are a "zero-tolerance to hudud law" party.

In a country where blasphemy is still illegal.

Quote:
Thats not what I was talking about. I was talking about the issue of gay-marriage = bestiality, not the debate over gay marriage itself.

Well done. You chose the issue on which Australians, unlike this Malaysian issue, are not split nearly 50-50.

Quote:
why are you lying, I never stated I knew what Muslims believe on this topic

You do now, thanks to the Pew survey. I'm glad we sorted that out.

Quote:
I posted my experiences in their countries, experiences you are lacking.

I have lots of experience in not asking people what they think. I don't see how your efforts at not asking Malaysians what they think gives you any more credibility on this issue. In fact, I have spent my entire life not asking Malaysians what they think about chopping people's heads off. Can you top that?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #651 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 12:13pm

You are wasting your time with stratos there peter, believe me i gave up ages ago...
he/she will just revert to childish ridicule and baseless claims of I won... nanee nanee na na

IP Logged

Stratos
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #652 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 12:50pm

Stratos wrote on Dec 31st, 2013 at 7:51am:
it seems like a petty distinction I know, but I really do want to emphasise the need to attack the arguments, not the person

Fair call, I'll watch my phrasing in future.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #653 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 5:11pm

freediver wrote on Dec 31st, 2013 at 10:28am:
We are talking about national laws in Malaysia. The explanation makes perfect sense there.

By the way, your throw-away line about democracy that you want to pass as an adequate "explanation" only makes sense for apostasy laws, not for stoning for adultery laws. So if you wouldn't mind getting off your high horse for once and come up with another lame-arsed "explanation" for why stoning isn't even close to being on the books, that would be appreciated.

He wasn't asking for further clarification. He was pretending I never posted it

He also made an earlier point about the islamic state of Aceh, and how stoning and executing apostates never happens there - and I also pointed out that stoning has just recently been removed from a new draft of the criminal code.

In other words, they allow you to make up whatever garbage you want about what Malaysians think is important, even when Anwar Ibrahim issued a statement on the issue just before the last election.

You are not in any way refuting my point that a) in every election the ruling BN party runs away with the majority of Malay votes while openly and proudly adopting a zero-tolerance to hudud policy, and b) that the issue was seen as such an embarassment to the opposition that their leader was forced to make an announcement distancing the party from it, and gagging the fringe islamist party from talking about it - not unlike Tony Abbott's response to Cory Bernardi.

Of course not. The two main leaders competing for the top job are opposed to it. That is what defines the main issues - those issue the two main parties disagree on.

There are so many things wrong with this; firstly you have to ask how on earth the ruling party, that continues to attract the majority of Malay votes, could adopt such an open and unambiguous anti-hudud policy - if its true that Malays feel so strongly the other way? Secondly, it is not true that Malays only had a choice between two anti-hudud parties - there is a pro-hudud party, everyone knows who they are - and their leader(s) DO stand up and give Malays the hudud option. Yet they continue to reject them - in droves. Even when Anwar tried to distance himself from it, why didn't the pro-hudud majority Malays flock to PAS in droves, instead of giving them a pathetic 14% of the vote?

Seems the political capital in Malaysia lies in being anti-hudud - or at the very least, it doesn't harm your political fortunes. What does that say?

Furthermore, the proof in the pudding is that the ruling BN party can proudly and openly declare they are a "zero-tolerance to hudud law" party.

In a country where blasphemy is still illegal.

Nothing to do with hudud, so I have no idea what your point is.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #654 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 8:14am

Apparently Malaysia has rehabilitation camps for Muslims who try to renounce Islam.

Quote:
By the way, your throw-away line about democracy that you want to pass as an adequate "explanation" only makes sense for apostasy laws, not for stoning for adultery laws.

Wrong

Quote:
So if you wouldn't mind getting off your high horse for once and come up with another lame-arsed "explanation" for why stoning isn't even close to being on the books, that would be appreciated.

Do I really need to explain democracy to you?

Quote:
He also made an earlier point about the islamic state of Aceh, and how stoning and executing apostates never happens there

Despite it having shariah law?

Quote:
You are not in any way refuting my point that a) in every election the ruling BN party runs away with the majority of Malay votes while openly and proudly adopting a zero-tolerance to hudud policy

That's democracy for you.

Quote:
and gagging the fringe islamist party from talking about it

How so?

Quote:
There are so many things wrong with this; firstly you have to ask how on earth the ruling party, that continues to attract the majority of Malay votes, could adopt such an open and unambiguous anti-hudud policy

You don't become the ruling party in a democracy by adopting a policy that the majority strongly oppose. It is not that there is some kind of weakness in the resolve of Muslims who want to start killing people. It is that there is strength on those who oppose it.

Quote:
Secondly, it is not true that Malays only had a choice between two anti-hudud parties

We also have lots of fringe parties, yet it is still the two main parties that decide what an election is going to be fought over. If both labor and Liberal decide they support the Iraq war, then support for the war is not going to be a big election issue, even if many in the community feel strongly about it.

Quote:
there is a pro-hudud party, everyone knows who they are - and their leader(s) DO stand up and give Malays the hudud option

Of course they do this without any "serious" debate ever happening, hey Gandalf?

Quote:
Even when Anwar tried to distance himself from it, why didn't the pro-hudud majority Malays flock to PAS in droves, instead of giving them a pathetic 14% of the vote?

Because they are lunatics?

Quote:
Seems the political capital in Malaysia lies in being anti-hudud - or at the very least, it doesn't harm your political fortunes. What does that say?

The same thing I have been saying all along. Luckily they have democracy.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #655 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 11:35am

freediver wrote on Jan 1st, 2014 at 8:14am:
Quote:
He also made an earlier point about the islamic state of Aceh, and how stoning and executing apostates never happens there

Despite it having shariah law?

Err yes, thats the point FD  Cheesy

Why does a muslim state with shariah law reject stoning and executing apostates?

Quote:

How so?

By declaring, on behalf of all PR parties including PAS, that hudud would never be implemented - even though PAS obviously would disagree with this stance.

You don't become the ruling party in a democracy by adopting a policy that the majority strongly oppose.

ummm... thats the point FD. According to you thats exactly what the BN did - adopt a policy that the majority (of Malays) oppose - and yet their voter base is Malays. Especially now after a "chinese tsunami" abandoned BN in droves during last eleciton.

We also have lots of fringe parties, yet it is still the two main parties that decide what an election is going to be fought over. If both labor and Liberal decide they support the Iraq war, then support for the war is not going to be a big election issue, even if many in the community feel strongly about it.

What you continue to fail to appreciate is that such a scenario suggests that by allowing the major parties to de-emphasise issues like Iraq, the public is not all that serious about those issues after all. Even if we see record breaking protests in the streets on the issue. And by the way, the iraq example is a bad one to use - since at the time of the election the invasion was already over. The public was vehemently opposed to the invasion, but once we were there, we were actually supportive of staying there to "finish the job". Thus both labor and liberal adopted policies on Iraq that were consistent with public opinion.

Also, you are losing track of the whole point here. This whole process we are quibbling about should indicate very clearly that Malays who profess support for stoning and executing apostates in a consequence-free survey, simply aren't doing anything about acting on this support in real life. No street protests (unlike Iraq in Australia), no serious debate, and most significantly, the party that stands in the heartland of Malay voter-land openly and proudly takes an anti-hudud stance - and Malays overwhelmingly stick with them. In short, Malays simply don't care about implementing hudud laws - and while you try and obfuscate that they really are passionate about it (gotta maintain that zealot tag after all) but not having the unity or organization or whatever to implement it - the truth is there simply isn't any evidence of any sort of enthusiasm about it. Thats why you are wrong to label them "little Hitlers" and a threat to our way of life, and all round evil people based on this one survey - and ignoring their demonstrated behaviour.

Quote:
there is a pro-hudud party, everyone knows who they are - and their leader(s) DO stand up and give Malays the hudud option

Of course they do this without any "serious" debate ever happening, hey Gandalf?

Correct. All major parties had a no-hudud policy, and whenever the one fringe islamist party tried to bring it up, they were howled down by everyone. Thats what you call "without a serious debate ever happening", and the Malay voters seemed a-ok with that, as they overwhelmingly voted for anti-hudud parties.

Quote:
Even when Anwar tried to distance himself from it, why didn't the pro-hudud majority Malays flock to PAS in droves, instead of giving them a pathetic 14% of the vote?

Because they are lunatics?

lol aren't Malays supposedly lunatics for wanting stoning and death for apostasy? But as always you miss the point. If there was political mileage to be gained from promoting hudud, the major parties would be capitalising on it - or at the very least wouldn't be stating so openly that they are opposed to it.

Quote:

The same thing I have been saying all along. Luckily they have democracy.

Nonsense. Hudud in Malaysia has only ever been proposed for Malays only. Indeed, other surveys have shown that Chinese and Indian Malaysians are not opposed to hudud because they believe that it won't affect them. So it really is a Malay-only issue, and which the success or otherwise of its implementation lies solely in the hands of the Malay public. And the fact is the Malays, who have significant political representation, have not in any way exercised the democratic levers at their disposal (protests, media etc, and especially not voting) to implement what they are supposed to want so passionately.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #656 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 1:18pm

Quote:
Err yes, thats the point FD

So in a discussion about a poll showing that Muslims have different views on shariah law, you need me to explain why a state which nominally has shariah law doesn't have certain rules? Perhaps yo also want me to explain why UK shariah courts don't chop people's heads off?

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #657 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 3:54pm

freediver wrote on Jan 1st, 2014 at 1:18pm:
Quote:
Err yes, thats the point FD

So in a discussion about a poll showing that Muslims have different views on shariah law, you need me to explain why a state which nominally has shariah law doesn't have certain rules?

Perhaps you also want me to explain [to you] why UK shariah courts don't chop people's heads off?

But, but, freediver, i was under the impression, that [between the two of you], it was gandalf, who is the moslem ?

Grin

freediver,

Is gandalf sure that he is a moslem ???

Or is gandalf just one of those moslem impersonators       [i.e. one of the, not 'REAL' moslems, which we hear so much about these days] ?

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #658 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 5:54pm

Dictionary;
Muslim = = a follower of Islam.

It is interesting.

Every moslem, worthy of the name, 'knows' and will affirm, that;

"There is no god except Allah, and Mohammed is his messenger."

And every moslem, worthy of the name, just 'knows' that ISLAM is Allah's perfect religion;

And moslems are convinced of ISLAM's 'perfection' to the point that, in those places where moslems have the means, and the 'opportunity', many moslems are willing to murder anyone who would resist the 'rightful authority' of local moslems, to rule over them [those who are not moslems].

Whereas, in those places where moslems DO NOT have the means, and DO NOT the 'opportunity', to violently impose their will upon others, the 'religious conviction' of moslems regarding their understand of the 'perfection' of ISLAM seems to be much less certain.

Just ask a moslem, to explain his understanding  of the workings of Allah's perfect religion, and often the moslem [....would have you believe that he!], just doesn't know the first thing about the workings of his own religion.

Ask a moslem, to explain his understanding of the workings of Allah's perfect religion, and to explain how certain ISLAMIC religious laws are given authority in one ISLAMIC jurisdiction, but not in another jurisdiction, and the moslem is often completely flummoxed is not forthcoming, and refuses to speak candidly - about the imperfection of perfection.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Gandalf's version of democracy
Reply #659 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 1:17pm

61% of Malaysians are Muslims. Of these, 86% favour Sharia law being the law of the land. Of these, 60% support stoning adulterers to death and 62% support the death penalty for apostasy. That makes roughly 31% and 33% of the total population.

When Gandalf and Ian demanded I explain why these laws have not come to pass in Malaysia, I suggested democracy might have something to do with it, as roughly two thirds of the population oppose these laws. It would be reasonable to presume they oppose them strongly enough to vote against any party that supports them. Apparently this explanation is not good enough.

This does not mean of course that they do not have similar laws. For example, Malaysia has "rehabilitation" camps for Muslim apostates and blasphemy is illegal. The government refuses to officially acknowledge Muslims who reject Islam and still classifies them as Muslims.

Gandalf has taken the extraordinary position that the reason they do not have these laws is because the 1/3 of the population that supports them don't really care enough to get them, rather than because 2/3 of the population oppose them - as "passionately" as you would expect people to oppose letting Muslims start killing people in the name of Islam. Despite having significant minor parties that push the issue, and Anwar Ibrahim needing to clarify prior to the last election that his coalition opposes the laws, Gandalf even tried to argue that there is not even any serious debate on the issue.

Gandalf, the reason I felt the need to start a new thread is because that seems to have far more success in getting you to see common sense. It worked very well with the rape conviction rate debate and I anticipate you suddenly seeing common sense on this issue also.
[mod edit: thread has been merged with existing discussion - new thread is completely unnecessary]

Gandalf's latest efforts to push this nonsense - by way of clarification, Gandalf insists on using the Malaysian government's official racial classification scheme. That is "Malay" actually means Malaysian Muslim. Gandalf uses this term so he can talk about the "majority of Malays" as if democratic principles support his argument that the only reason 1/3 of the population don't get their way over everyone else is because they don't really want what they say they want.

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 1st, 2014 at 11:35am:
Quote:

How so?

By declaring, on behalf of all PR parties including PAS, that hudud would never be implemented - even though PAS obviously would disagree with this stance.

You don't become the ruling party in a democracy by adopting a policy that the majority strongly oppose.

ummm... thats the point FD. According to you thats exactly what the BN did - adopt a policy that the majority (of Malays) oppose - and yet their voter base is Malays. Especially now after a "chinese tsunami" abandoned BN in droves during last eleciton.

What you continue to fail to appreciate is that such a scenario suggests that by allowing the major parties to de-emphasise issues like Iraq, the public is not all that serious about those issues after all. Even if we see record breaking protests in the streets on the issue. And by the way, the iraq example is a bad one to use - since at the time of the election the invasion was already over. The public was vehemently opposed to the invasion, but once we were there, we were actually supportive of staying there to "finish the job". Thus both labor and liberal adopted policies on Iraq that were consistent with public opinion.

Also, you are losing track of the whole point here. This whole process we are quibbling about should indicate very clearly that Malays who profess support for stoning and executing apostates in a consequence-free survey, simply aren't doing anything about acting on this support in real life. No street protests (unlike Iraq in Australia), no serious debate, and most significantly, the party that stands in the heartland of Malay voter-land openly and proudly takes an anti-hudud stance - and Malays overwhelmingly stick with them. In short, Malays simply don't care about implementing hudud laws - and while you try and obfuscate that they really are passionate about it (gotta maintain that zealot tag after all) but not having the unity or organization or whatever to implement it - the truth is there simply isn't any evidence of any sort of enthusiasm about it. Thats why you are wrong to label them "little Hitlers" and a threat to our way of life, and all round evil people based on this one survey - and ignoring their demonstrated behaviour.

« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2014 at 6:55pm by polite_gandalf »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 188
Send Topic Print