Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 188
Send Topic Print
spineless apologetics (Read 340419 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: spineless apologetics
Reply #570 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 7:52am

You've already asked that Gandalf. I have already answered.

Back to the original topic...

Quote:
which is now in its proper thread. Please don't cross threads over like this, its confusing. This is why I don't want multiple threads on the same topic

That topic is the Pew survey. This topic is spineless apologetics.

here is Gandalf making excuses for his fellow Muslims, and insisting they couldn't possible mean what they actually say.

polite_gandalf wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 1:24pm:
I suspect because the responders are completely detached from their own personal reality when answering such questions. Asking "should adulterers be stoned" to a person who has never known the practice, and who is acutely aware that the practice will never be implemented in his society is obviously completely different to dragging an actual adulterer up to the same person and asking them to condemn them to death via stoning.

Abu Hurairah narrates that the Prophet said: “One who keeps the faults of a Muslim secret in this world, Allah will keep his faults in the Hereafter

Ian followed it up with this:

ian wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 1:27pm:
Yes, I agree,  also suspect these surveys offer  "loaded" questions. I wouldn't mind seeing the format and context of the questions.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2013 at 7:58am by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #571 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 8:55am

freediver wrote on Dec 24th, 2013 at 7:52am:
here is Gandalf making excuses for his fellow Muslims

Its not about apologising or excusing, its about coming up with an explanation for why their stated beliefs about this punishment is at odds with their demonstrated behaviour. Why doesn't Malaysia (a democracy) have stoning in their penal code if most muslims love it so much? Why isn't it even so much as discussed? Why do Malays simply don't care about the issue until asked to make a 'yes' or 'no' response to a completely detached and hypothetical survey?

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #572 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 9:12am

Quote:
Its not about apologising or excusing

Yes it is. Very rarely, you will make a vague concession about Islam and the Muslim community having 'problems', then go silent on it. Yet even when hundreds of millions of Muslims say they want to chop the heads of apostates and stone adulterers to death, you are tripping over yourself to make excuses for them.

Quote:
Its not about apologising or excusing, its about coming up with an explanation for why their stated beliefs about this punishment is at odds with their demonstrated behaviour. Why doesn't Malaysia (a democracy) have stoning in their penal code if most muslims love it so much?

Didn't you just finish explaining that most of the population is opposed to it? Apparently there are just enough non-Muslims to tip the balance in favour of civility, at least for this particular issue. There is of course also the problem that Muslims may not agree on which (ex)Muslims get their head chopped off. Obviously if you support chopping people's heads off, but the specific proposal is to put your head on the chopping block, you will withhold your support until they want to chop someone else's head off. This is the wonder of democracy.

Quote:
Why isn't it even so much as discussed?

You mean when snobby rich white folk are around? Is this just a slightly more subtle version of "they didn't chop my head off when I was there, therefor they couldn't possibly support death for apostasy or stoning adulterers to death"?

Quote:
Why do Malays simply don't care about the issue until asked to make a 'yes' or 'no' response to a completely detached and hypothetical survey?

How do you know this? Making it up again?

Can you explain how voting for a candidate who supports stoning adulterers to death and executing apostates is any less abstract for them than saying they support it on a poll? How is the passage of legislation in some distant capital any less abstract? Do you really think there is no problem for people to support these evil things because they will never end up with these laws unless they go out and chop their neighbour's head off themselves?
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2013 at 9:18am by freediver »  

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #573 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 10:13am

freediver wrote on Dec 24th, 2013 at 9:12am:
Yes it is. Very rarely, you will make a vague concession about Islam and the Muslim community having 'problems', then go silent on it.

This is actually your problem, not mine. I would love to use this forum to constructively discuss the problems in islam and how it can be reformed, and have attempted to do so many times, but you and most others here simply won't allow it. Why? Because every discussion here turns into a "the only good islam is no islam" meme; you simply refuse to entertain the premise that islam is reformable, and that muslims are capable of reforming it. No, it always has to come back to Muhammad the genocidal rapist and pedophile and poorly interpreted ahadith quotes, like the one you attach to just about every one of your posts now (I don't know why you don't just make it your signature). And you force me to defend them, and we get bogged down in an endless and futile cycle. I started a thread yesterday about a former right-wing extremist who has joined a bunch of muslims in combatting extremism on both sides. If former islamophobic street thugs and former jihadists can join forces and acknowledge the need to reform islam, then I think thats worth looking into. Sadly (though not at all surprising) no one here seems interested.

Yet even when hundreds of millions of Muslims say they want to chop the heads of apostates and stone adulterers to death, you are tripping over yourself to make excuses for them.

So what should this be about then? What is the more appropriate response? To jump up and down and scream that they are barbarians? What do you actually think this says about these people FD? Do you think its possible for these people to be overall decent human beings while holding these views?

Didn't you just finish explaining that most of the population is opposed to it? Apparently there are just enough non-Muslims to tip the balance in favour of civility, at least for this particular issue.

If you knew anything about Malaysia you would know that there are separate islamic laws that apply only to Malays. The point is though, if muslims were that passionate about introducing stoning, there would be at the very least some serious public debate about it. There is none. And like most things of this nature, once a public debate starts, public support for it will undoubtedly wane.

There is of course also the problem that Muslims may not agree on which (ex)Muslims get their head chopped off.

Just a technical point, the survey said nothing about beheading. I only mention this because you continue to use the term.

You mean when snobby rich white folk are around?

No, trust me, it is never discussed.

How do you know this? Making it up again?

They don't care because a) it is not in any law in Malaysia b) it has never been considered as a law anywhere in Malaysia and c) there is no public debate on the issue whatsoever.

Can you explain how voting for a candidate who supports stoning adulterers to death and executing apostates is any less abstract for them than saying they support it on a poll?

Of course it is less abstract - because it is being presented as an actual policy to be voted on. Are you seriously suggesting there would be no difference to a pollster asking an Australian tomorrow about their support for capital punishment, and asking Australians to vote in a referendum whether or not to bring it back after a year of public debate?

Do you really think there is no problem for people to support these evil things because they will never end up with these laws unless they go out and chop their neighbour's head off themselves?

Now where did I say it wasn't a problem? I find the results disturbing - as already stated.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #574 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 8:26am

Quote:
So what should this be about then?

How about sucking it up and being objective?

Quote:
What is the more appropriate response? To jump up and down and scream that they are barbarians?

Not making excuses or insisting they do not really think what they say they think for them would be a good start. Can you imagine if I started explaining to everyone why you do not think what you say you think?

Quote:
What do you actually think this says about these people FD? Do you think its possible for these people to be overall decent human beings while holding these views?

It depends what you mean by decent. I think it is possible for them to behave reasonably until they have an opportunity to achieve what they want. Remember, Malaysia also has serious problems with Islamic extremism and terrorism.

Quote:
If you knew anything about Malaysia you would know that there are separate islamic laws that apply only to Malays. The point is though, if muslims were that passionate about introducing stoning, there would be at the very least some serious public debate about it. There is none.

Who is to say there isn't? Do you expect me to take your word for it, after your antics in this thread and the other one? I know I would be very nervous if half of my nieghbours were into stoning people to death. I find it very hard to believe that in a democracy where the population is split nearly 50-50 on an issue that there would be no debate on it.

Quote:
No, trust me, it is never discussed.

How do you know? The same way you know the Muslims don't support stoning people to death?

Quote:
They don't care because a) it is not in any law in Malaysia b) it has never been considered as a law anywhere in Malaysia and c) there is no public debate on the issue whatsoever.

That doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Of course it is less abstract - because it is being presented as an actual policy to be voted on. Are you seriously suggesting there would be no difference to a pollster asking an Australian tomorrow about their support for capital punishment, and asking Australians to vote in a referendum whether or not to bring it back after a year of public debate?

Yes. If a person supports capital punishment, they are not going to suddenly change their mind because they have a chance to get what they want.

Quote:
Now where did I say it wasn't a problem? I find the results disturbing - as already stated.

You are trying to say it is not a problem every time you insist that these people do not actually think what they say they think.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #575 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 2:37pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Dec 24th, 2013 at 10:13am:
If former islamophobic street thugs and former jihadists can join forces and acknowledge the need to reform islam, then I think thats worth looking into. Sadly (though not at all surprising) no one here seems interested.

I am very interested.

I have never heard Muslims wanting to reform Islam (which part? Koran or hadiths? Both?) I have only heard them wanting it accepted as the religion of peace.

Elsewhere in the news:
Two bombs in Christian areas of the Iraqi capital Baghdad have killed at least 35 people, officials have said.

One device exploded near a Catholic church when worshippers were leaving a Christmas Day service, killing 24. Another bomb ripped through a market, killing 11 more people.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #576 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 2:52pm

Soren wrote on Dec 9th, 2013 at 10:09pm:
The war on Christians

The global persecution of churchgoers is the unreported catastrophe of our time
http://cdn.spectator.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/explosive.jpg

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9041841/the-war-on-christians/

By Alan Johnson October 4th, 2013

A Christian tomb in formerly Christian Algeria
I was sitting in Rupert Shortt’s kitchen interviewing him for Fathom Journal about his book Christianophobia: A Faith Under Attack.  When some leading politicians are asked to protest the persecution of Christians  in the Middle East, he said, they respond with "Well, if Christians are going to march into these Muslim countries and try to convert them then what do you expect?" Rupert looked at me and shook his head in exasperation. "There is absolutely no sense that most of these societies were Christian long before the rise of Islam."

The historical ignorance matters because in a vast belt of land from Morocco to Pakistan there is scarcely a single country in which Christians can worship entirely without harassment. The recent suicide bomb attack on Christian worshippers at the All Saints Church in the old quarter of Peshawar, Pakistan – around 600 people were eating and playing on the grass after a service when they were ripped to pieces by the two Islamist suicide bombers. 78 people Christians were killed, including 34 women and seven children – was only a spectacular expression of the phenomenon.

Westerners of all faiths and none need to plumb the gist of our failure to rouse ourselves in defence of persecuted Christians. Talking to Rupert Shortt, the religion editor of the Times Literary Supplement and an intensely thoughtful man, I heard four big causes of our shameful quietism.

First, “I’m sorry to say there’s a bit of a hierarchy of victimhood here” he told me. “It’s just not very fashionable to be a persecuted Christian.” The New Atheism has played its role here.

Second, and one of the sources of this fashionable indifference, is what Shortt called "a bit of a liberal blind spot". He meant that while we are "very, very sensitised to the perceived sufferings and complaints of Muslims, many of which I will be the first to say are justified," we also tend to swallow whole a "highly questionable victimhood narrative of certain Islamists. The idea that Muslims are targeted and persecuted like no other group is a falsification of history that needs to be resisted." That we often fail to do that is one reason we also struggle to see anti-Christian hatred and persecution plain. It meshes with what Shortt calls the "self-lacerating element in Christian societies, probably born out of guilt over colonialism."

Third, there is that "turn the other cheek" thing. Shortt gave the example of a Christian church bombed in Kathmandu after which the survivors dusted themselves off and carried on. A friend of Shortt’s, a human rights monitor who went out there sometime later, was told by an astonished non-Christian local that, "if this had been a temple, if this had been a synagogue, if this had been a mosque, all hell would have broken loose, but it was a church".

Shortt was at once proud and frustrated about this stoicism: "I want to stress there’s something deeply admirable about that on one level. I think that ‘an eye for an eye’, ‘tit for tat’ mentality is only going to make matters worse and at some point in a conflict, the cycle needs to be broken. It’s a sign that they’re taking the teaching of Jesus seriously. So one level I take that as a source of pride.” But he was also deeply worried by this reaction. “At the same time, I don’t see why news of these sufferings should be muffled."

Fourth, and made possible by this muffling, there is "timidity on the part of Christian governments in the West when it comes to sticking up for their fellow believers". And surely this timidity is found in parts of the Church, too?

It’s a toxic mix: among non-believers there is historical ignorance, hierarchies of oppression, postcolonial guilt, and official timidity. On the part of many stoic Christians there is a forbearance and willingness to see virtue in suffering. Perhaps it is time to take the advice of a Jew instead. Silence, said the Auschwitz survivor Elie Wiesel, only encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #577 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 8:08pm

Here's Tony Abbott running scared from saying anything that might cause offence to the Muslim community. Andrew Bolt interviews him.

To be honest, I thought he had more balls than this. He's obviously happy to play the role of yet another political Useful Idiot for the Muslims and their partisan ambitions for the future.

Very disappointing.

Abbott 'Rightwing'? ~ my arse.

Quote:
Tony Abbott is picking his fights. One he is dodging - at least publicly - is on immigration and Muslim integration. From my interview with him:

AB:  Our population is growing by about 1 million every three years, mainly through immigration.  Does that make sense to you when our cities seem to not to be coping?

PM:  One of the tasks that we have as a nation is to give ourselves the infrastructure and the amenities necessary to cope with the population that we’ve got or we can reasonably anticipate having.

AB:  It doesn’t seem to be happening.

PM:  Well, it wasn’t happening, but it must start to happen.

AB:  And if it doesn’t shouldn’t we stop immigration?

PM:  Well, I’m confident that we can do it, Andrew.

AB:  Are you worried at all about the difficulty of integrating some people in the community?

PM:  There’s no doubt that if you’re a professor of history from New Delhi you’re going to integrate faster than a slum dweller from Glasgow.  There’s no doubt about that.

AB:  There’s also no doubt that you’re dancing around the fact that there are are communities that are having trouble integrating.

PM:  One of the great things about Australia is that we encourage people, indeed we expect people, who come to this country to leave their ethnic animosities behind them.

AB:  But they are failing to in some cases.

TA: We encouraged the English and the Irish to leave their sectarian and other animosity behind them…

AB: But they didn’t have suicide bombers.

TM: ... and we largely succeeded.  Ditto, we would encourage the Tamils and the Singhalese to leave their animosities behind them.  And, frankly, if people come to this country with a kind of a millenarian religious approach…

AB: But some do. I just want to know what we do about that.

TA: ... we would encourage them to quickly forget that.

AB: We are already encouraging them. That’s not the point.

TA: But, we shouldn’t assume that just because someone is a Belfast Irishman that he’s going to want to…

AB:  No one is assuming that but ASIO has said that there are a number of Australians ...

PM:  ... that there’s some hatred of Australia’s monarchical institutions and something like that.

AB:  But we’ve got a score of people in jail from one particular group for terrorism offences against Australians. It’s more than whether you don’t like the monarchy.

PM:  Yeah, but it would be a big mistake for anyone in authority in Australia to suggest that people might be citizens second, and adherents of a a particular faith first, because nothing could be more guaranteed to hinder the integration and ultimately the assimilation of such people.

IP Logged

Pete Waldo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

U.S.
Reply #578 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 8:28pm

Soren wrote on Dec 27th, 2013 at 2:52pm:
Fourth, and made possible by this muffling, there is "timidity on the part of Christian governments in the West when it comes to sticking up for their fellow believers".

There is no such thing as a "Christian government" in the west as far as I know. Well at least speaking for here, the U.S. divorced itself from God in 1947 through the Everson decision, with the spurious notion and BIG LIE of any original intent, toward a so-called "separation of church and state". Indeed it's absurd to suggest such intent, when our framers recognized that all of our rights are given to us by God. Divorced our schools from God in 1948 through the McCollum decision. Our ill-defined military misadventures ever since, have aptly reflected U.S. government divorce from God.

Thus no surprise whose side a liberal administration with a closet Muslim in the White House would take:
From CNS on Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's Obama Administration effort:
"'The OIC has hit on a winning strategy to get Western countries to break away from their commitment to free speech by repackaging blasphemy as hate speech and free speech as the manifestation of "intolerance,"' George Washington University professor of public interest law Jonathan Turley warned in a column this week."
"'Although the OIC and the Obama administration claim fealty to free speech, the very premise of the meeting reveals a desire to limit it,' he argued."
"In her address Wednesday, Clinton referred briefly to criticism of the talks.
'Now I know that some in my country and elsewhere have criticized this meeting and our work with all of you. But I want to make clear that I am proud of this work, and I am proud to be working with every one of you.'"

Throwing first amendment free speech under the bus, while being "proud" to work with "every one" of the OIC countries, many of which murder their own citizens for the "crime" of blasphemy, by statute.
falseprophetmuhammad.com/blasphemy_laws.htm

I should have said first amendment hostile, champion of the Muslim Brotherhood, not-so-closet Muslim in the White House:
Barak Obama: ‘The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam,’

While the "messenger" of Islam himself, insults - indeed blasphemes - the Son of God and His shed blood, with impunity.
falseprophetmuhammad.com
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2013 at 9:23pm by Pete Waldo »  

Truth can never be told so as to be understood and not be believed. ~ William Blake
IP Logged

Adamant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Reply #579 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 11:25pm

Pete Waldo wrote on Dec 27th, 2013 at 8:28pm:
While the "messenger" of Islam himself, insults - indeed blasphemes - the Son of God and His shed blood, with impunity.falseprophetmuhammad.com

http://www.falseprophetmuhammad.com/

A hot link for you Pete, as I know you are not allowed just yet.

In real life Gandalf is known as Mr 10%

IP Logged

Adamant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Reply #580 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 11:40pm

The historical ignorance matters because in a vast belt of land from Morocco to Pakistan there is scarcely a single country in which Christians can worship entirely without harassment. The recent suicide bomb attack on Christian worshippers at the All Saints Church in the old quarter of Peshawar, Pakistan – around 600 people were eating and playing on the grass after a service when they were ripped to pieces by the two Islamist suicide bombers. 78 people Christians were killed, including 34 women and seven children – was only a spectacular expression of the phenomenon

Nocommentotherthantosaywhynocommentfromthemuslims.

In real life Gandalf is known as Mr 10%

IP Logged

Pete Waldo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

U.S.
Reply #581 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 12:44am

Adamant wrote on Dec 27th, 2013 at 11:40pm:
The historical ignorance matters because in a vast belt of land from Morocco to Pakistan there is scarcely a single country in which Christians can worship entirely without harassment. The recent suicide bomb attack on Christian worshippers at the All Saints Church in the old quarter of Peshawar, Pakistan – around 600 people were eating and playing on the grass after a service when they were ripped to pieces by the two Islamist suicide bombers. 78 people Christians were killed, including 34 women and seven children – was only a spectacular expression of the phenomenon

Thanks for the link! We could hope that there's no comment because they are otherwise heatedly engaged in what would be a vain search, for a history of Mecca, prior to the 4th century AD.
ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1388067196

And regarding that church bombing, it doesn't hold a candle to what's going on in Nigeria on an almost daily basis. Here's a snapshot from this link:
nigeriacalabash.com/content/attack-christians-11-2011

12/28/2012 Musari: Islamists tie up fifteen women and children inside a church, then slit their throats while shouting praises to Allah.
12/26/2012 Bachit: Suspected Fulani murder three villagers, including a married couple, in attacks on two Christian homes.
12/25/2012 Peri: A pastor and five worshippers are slaughtered in a Religion of Peace attack on a Christmas morning church service.
12/25/2012 Rim: A Christian is killed in his home by Fulani gunmen in front of his family.
12/24/2012 Maiduguri: Six people are killed in a Christmas Eve church attack by Religion of Peace gunmen.
12/6/2012 Yankaba: Two Christian teenagers are executed by gunmen on a motorcycle yelling, 'Allah akbar'.
12/2/2012 Chibok: Religion of Peace proponents invade a Christian village in the middle of the night and massacre ten residents.
12/1/2012 Gamboru Ngala: Two guards die when Muslims shouting 'Allah Akbar' burn churches.
11/25/2012 Jaji: Two suicide bombers massacre fifteen worshippers at a Protestant church.
11/22/2012 Bichi: Angry Muslims riot, burn churches and kills four Christians over a rumor of blasphemy concerning a t-shirt."

falseprophetmuhammad.com/muslim_persecution_of_christians.htm

Truth can never be told so as to be understood and not be believed. ~ William Blake
IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #582 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 7:49am

FROM THE SUNNA OF MOHAMMED

Allah's Apostle said,
"I have been made victorious with terror (cast in the hearts of the enemy)...."
hadith/bukhari #004.052.220

".....I have been given superiority......; I have been helped by terror (in the hearts of enemies):....."
hadithsunnah/muslim/ #004.1062

But the persons who detonated that bomb among Christian worshippers at the All Saints Church in the old quarter of Peshawar, Pakistan, were not real moslems.

Because as we all know, this is real ISLAM;          Tongue

How the moslem community [everywhere] seeks to portray their religion [to those who are outside of their own 'camp'];

IMAGE....
A moslem advertising campaign [2007] in the UK.
Which promotes [British] moslems as normal, integrated citizens, who reject all forms of extremism.

Yep....
"PROUD TO BE A BRITISH MOSLEM"

Peace loving moslems - they just make you proud, don't they!!
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2013 at 4:18pm by polite_gandalf »  

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Stratos
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #583 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 8:18am

Quote:
“We will go after those who committed this tragedy,” Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan, who said 34 women and seven children died in the attack, told lawmakers today in the National Assembly. “We will bring them to justice.”

Quote:
Sharif earlier condemned the attacks, expressed solidarity with the Christian community and pledged to provide medical and emergency assistance to the victims

Quote:
“Those who did this were not humans,” Imran Khan, whose party runs Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, told reporters outside the hospital in Peshawar. “I don’t think we should give up efforts to find those groups who want to talk. We need to know who wants to talk.

Pete Waldo wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 11:24pm:
Thus killing those Canaanite babies while they were still innocent, was a particularly merciful act

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #584 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 8:32am

Empty talk, Stavros. The harassment and murdering in the name of Islam continues.
I condemn the empty talk. And those like you who try to present it as sufficient.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 188
Send Topic Print