Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 177 178 179 180 181 ... 188
Send Topic Print
spineless apologetics (Read 341182 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: spineless apologetics
Reply #2670 - Sep 2nd, 2021 at 11:11pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Sep 2nd, 2021 at 10:51pm:
Bobby. wrote on Sep 2nd, 2021 at 10:47pm:
It was considered normal then to crucify someone even for theft.

No it wasn't.

Crucifixion was reserved exclusively for insurrection. Roman documents of the time are very clear on that.

In fact it wasn't even necessarily a form of execution. Sometimes the Romans would execute the insurrectionist and nail the corpse to a cross. The cross was always fixed directly outside a city's gates as a warning to all what happens to those who resist or defy the rule of Rome.

The men each side of Jesus on their crosses were thieves.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2671 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 6:00am

I now have to admit that I got it wrong.

Jesus was not talking about himself but instead
he was telling a parable that had a King in it.
It was Brian who misled me.
I trusted him because he has a doctor of divinity so
that he was a Bible scholar and knew what he was talking about.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2019&version=NIV

The Parable of the Ten Minas

11 While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once.

12 He said: “A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return.

13 So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas.[a] ‘Put this money to work,’ he said, ‘until I come back.’

14 “But his subjects hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, ‘We don’t want this man to be our king.’

15 “He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out what they had gained with it.

16 “The first one came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned ten more.’

17 “‘Well done, my good servant!’ his master replied. ‘Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.’

18 “The second came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned five more.’

19 “His master answered, ‘You take charge of five cities.’

20 “Then another servant came and said, ‘Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth. 21 I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.’

22 “His master replied, ‘I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? 23 Why then didn’t you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?’

24 “Then he said to those standing by, ‘Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.’

25 “‘Sir,’ they said, ‘he already has ten!’

26 “He replied, ‘I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what they have will be taken away.

27 But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2672 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 6:42am

Brian's doctor of divinity is pretty much worthless. I think he even admitted this himself. How can you take him seriously after he claimed he has neither the right nor the ability to criticise Islam?

Can you find anything in the Bible or any other religion that comes close to chapter 9 of the Quran in promoting violence?

https://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1469837313

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2673 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 6:50am

Bobby. wrote on Sep 2nd, 2021 at 11:11pm:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Sep 2nd, 2021 at 10:51pm:
Bobby. wrote on Sep 2nd, 2021 at 10:47pm:
It was considered normal then to crucify someone even for theft.

No it wasn't.

Crucifixion was reserved exclusively for insurrection. Roman documents of the time are very clear on that.

In fact it wasn't even necessarily a form of execution. Sometimes the Romans would execute the insurrectionist and nail the corpse to a cross. The cross was always fixed directly outside a city's gates as a warning to all what happens to those who resist or defy the rule of Rome.

The men each side of Jesus on their crosses were thieves.

No they weren't.

It is a misunderstanding of the Greek word, lestes. At a long stretch it could mean thieves, but the Greek word for plain thieves is kleptes. The word, lestes is used when referring to dangerous bandits (i.e. insurrectionist).

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2674 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 6:51am

freediver wrote on Sep 3rd, 2021 at 6:42am:
Brian's doctor of divinity is pretty much worthless. I think he even admitted this himself. How can you take him seriously after he claimed he has neither the right nor the ability to criticise Islam?

Can you find anything in the Bible or any other religion that comes close to chapter 9 of the Quran in promoting violence?

I used to take Brian's Bible scholar qualifications seriously.
A Doctor of Divinity is a high qualification in such matters.

promoting violence?
- it doesn't get much worse than this:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+13&version=KJV

Deut 13:13   KJV

13 Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known;

14 Then shalt thou enquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you;

15 Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword.

16 And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the Lord thy God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again.

17 And there shall cleave nought of the cursed thing to thine hand: that the Lord may turn from the fierceness of his anger, and shew thee mercy, and have compassion upon thee, and multiply thee, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers;

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2675 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 7:24am

This is still not qualitatively the same as chapter 9 of the Quran, for the following reasons:

1) it refers to apostates, not the infidels more broadly

2) it refers at length to diligent investigation, not wholesale slaughter

3) verse 12 (preceding what you quoted) also appears to make it a reference to Israel

4) several aspects of Deut 13 are also directly challenged by Jesus, for example when he said let he who is without sin cast the first stone, so it would also be unreasonable to conclude that the Bible requires Christians to do this

Have you read chapter 9?

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2021 at 7:41am by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2676 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 7:24am

Bobby. wrote on Sep 3rd, 2021 at 6:51am:

promoting violence?

13 Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known;

14 Then shalt thou enquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you;

15 Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword.

16 And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the Lord thy God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again.

17 And there shall cleave nought of the cursed thing to thine hand: that the Lord may turn from the fierceness of his anger, and shew thee mercy, and have compassion upon thee, and multiply thee, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers;

That is from the Torah / Old Testament.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #2677 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 7:28am

There is a difference. If there are Bible Bashing Christians who want to interpret Biblical violence in atrocities today, they would be and infinitesimal percentage compared to the thousands ignorant, superstitious, misogynistic, and violent Muzzlums who murder and torture on a daily basis.

I have no illusions about Christianity, but it is the basis of public education, and instigated the fight against slavery and cannibalism, social reforms that Islam has no claim to.

That being said, Christianity, like Judaism and Islam, is based on the lie that Abraham was personally in touch with God, a lie which has been tried again and again through history by both famous and infamous religious fanatics including Jesus and Jim Koolaid Jones.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2678 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 7:44am

issuevoter wrote on Sep 3rd, 2021 at 7:28am:
That being said, Christianity, like Judaism and Islam, is based on the lie that Abraham was personally in touch with God, a lie which has been tried again and again through history by both famous and infamous religious fanatics including Jesus and Jim Koolaid Jones.

Notwithstanding that there is no evidence that Abraham or Moses ever existed.

Even Israeli/Jewish archaeologists / historians / religious scholars generally (if begrudgingly) agree on that.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #2679 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 9:57am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Sep 3rd, 2021 at 7:44am:

Even Israeli/Jewish archaeologists / historians / religious scholars generally (if begrudgingly) agree on that.

From my perspective the real obscenity is today’s political correctness telling us we must avoid criticism of the contents of any so called holy book.

Koran. Sura: 47. V 4 "When ye encounter the infidels, strike off their heads till ye have made a great slaughter among them, and for the rest make fast the fetters".

Bible (KJV) .Deuteronomy Ch 13: V 15 "Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword."

Considering Muslims, Christians and Jews are the offspring/descendants of the same Semitic tribe should we be surprised?

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2680 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 10:44am

Ayn Marx wrote on Sep 3rd, 2021 at 9:57am:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Sep 3rd, 2021 at 7:44am:

From my perspective the real obscenity is today’s political correctness telling us we must avoid criticism of the contents of any so called holy book.

Koran. Sura: 47. V 4 "When ye encounter the infidels, strike off their heads till ye have made a great slaughter among them, and for the rest make fast the fetters".

Bible (KJV) .Deuteronomy Ch 13: V 15 "Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword."

Considering Muslims, Christians and Jews are the offspring/descendants of the same Semitic tribe should we be surprised?

Christianity differs from ancient Judaism and Islam in that it was sanitised for a Roman and Hellenic audience. Which is why Joshua/Jesus was rebranded as more of a peace-loving hippy preaching a kingdom beyond this world than a Judaic militant revolutionary wanting to upend and overthrow the ruling status quo.

Think about the line: 'thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven'... That's a Judaic version of a call to something akin to Sharia law.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2681 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 1:17pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Sep 3rd, 2021 at 7:24am:

promoting violence?

Jesus asked us to follow the laws of the Old Testament.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2682 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 1:19pm

freediver wrote on Sep 3rd, 2021 at 7:24am:
This is still not qualitatively the same as chapter 9 of the Quran, for the following reasons:

1) it refers to apostates, not the infidels more broadly

2) it refers at length to diligent investigation, not wholesale slaughter

3) verse 12 (preceding what you quoted) also appears to make it a reference to Israel

4) several aspects of Deut 13 are also directly challenged by Jesus, for example when he said let he who is without sin cast the first stone, so it would also be unreasonable to conclude that the Bible requires Christians to do this

Have you read chapter 9?

Yes - I read all that - it's a lot worse than the Bible
but then again -
I see it as all part of violent, barbaric, Abrahamic religion.
The Koran was plagiarised from the the Bible/ OT.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2683 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 1:32pm

Bobby. wrote on Sep 3rd, 2021 at 1:17pm:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Sep 3rd, 2021 at 7:24am:

promoting violence?

That's actually true.

However, Jesus, himself, was a Jew not a Christian.

The Christian movement was established by Paul 20 years after the death of Jesus and the New Testament was not written by followers of Jesus.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2684 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 1:35pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Sep 3rd, 2021 at 1:32pm:
Bobby. wrote on Sep 3rd, 2021 at 1:17pm:

That's actually true.

However, Jesus, himself, was a Jew not a Christian.

The Christian movement was established by Paul 20 years after the death of Jesus and the New Testament was not written by followers of Jesus.

Yes - read this:

https://www.evilbible.com/do-not-ignore-the-old-testament/

1) “For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished.  Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV)  Clearly the Old Testament is to be obeyed until the end of human existence itself.  None other then Jesus said so.

2) All of the vicious Old Testament laws will be binding forever.  “It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid.” (Luke 16:17 NAB)

3) Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets.  He hasn’t the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament.  “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill.  Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.” (Matthew 5:17 NAB)

3b) “All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness…” (2 Timothy 3:16 NAB)

3c) “Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God.” (2 Peter 20-21 NAB)

4) Jesus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children according to Old Testament law.  Mark.7:9-13  “Whoever curses father or mother shall die” (Mark 7:10 NAB)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 177 178 179 180 181 ... 188
Send Topic Print