Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17
Send Topic Print
Boycott halal - it's barbaric (Read 66775 times)
moses
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Boycott halal - it's barbaric
Reply #150 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 3:02pm

Hotbreath wrote: Quote:
Then we should see no provision of government certified Kosher meals either.  Nor of Buddhist meals.  Government inspection and certification backs all aspects of food preparation and serving, wanker, not just Halal.
&
Doesn't answer the question asked.  If you are unable to answer the question directly, the cede that your claim is unsupported by anything other than your bigoted opinion.
&
I am pro only giving people a fair go.  Something you refuse to do.
&
An Islamic dietary requirement is being accommodated.  Most people don't give two hoots.  Only Islamophobic bigots do.
&
You said "in public".  All the things I mentioned are displayed "in public" on the outside of buildings, on people, etc.  There is a reason why Churches put up crosses on top of their buildings - to advertise.  You've declared you don't want religions symbols on display.  Well, "rip'em down!" is what I say!   

OUT WITH ALL RELIGIOUS SYMBOLS.  NO RULES FOR ONE RELIGION?  THEN RULES FOR ALL RELIGIONS APPLIED EQUALLY!

No religious symbols or dietary rules or ceremonies in public.

Let all religions come in "plain wrappings".   

Lets get rid of all the opiates, shall we?

The issue is: one minority religion, forcing it's doctrine and rituals onto the majority of people (many of whom are opposed to it), in publicly owned places.

Privately owned places may do as they please within the law.

I say separate religion and state in publicly owned places.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #151 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 5:35pm

moses wrote on Sep 3rd, 2013 at 8:35am:
Why has the perspective got to favour one religious position only?

Islam is a political ideology as well as a religion that wants things done the Islamic way.

Cows are sacred to the Hindu and we have a huge beef industry, the Hindu have never asked us to change any laws to suit them and those who i have asked said they were aware of our attitudes towards beef before they moved here and it will never be an issue.

Halal butchers are  cheap it probably has something to do with high numbers of muslims on welfare.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #152 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 5:49pm

Soren wrote on Sep 3rd, 2013 at 1:23pm:
Geddit?

no I don't "geddit".

You still haven't explained the problem Soren. Just because a few bigots at West Coburg Primary want to stir some islamophobic sh!t over something that everyone else just doesn't care about? Why should there be choice if it tastes exactly the same? You make about as much sense as saying that its "not on" if all meat comes from the same abbattoir - which in most cases it probably does.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #153 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 6:04pm

It’s not the old boy’s fault, Gandalf. English is his second language.

We should honour and welcome these types for their fine contribution to our great society.

He does appear to bring with him a detailed knowledge of meat and smallgoods - you have to give him that.

Cheese too, if I’m not mistaken. Cheese too, old boy?

It helps if you speak clearly. They don’t always understand.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #154 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 9:45pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 3rd, 2013 at 12:48pm:
Grey wrote on Sep 3rd, 2013 at 1:04am:
Neither do Jewish stomachs, yet kosher food has gone unremarked for decades.

Actually, so has halal. I know that Halal meat has been available here in Canberra since at least the 70s. No doubt at least as long in Sydney and Melbourne.

My parents live in a small country town - and there happens to be a local butcher who sources halal meat. I don't know of a single muslim in the town - but guess what? No one gives a poo  Smiley Good for us though - and my parent are only too happy to be able to provide meat for us when we visit.

freediver wrote on Sep 3rd, 2013 at 12:30pm:
????

I am surprised this is still going unnoticed.

Not sure FD. My understanding (which could be wrong) is that the important thing is that the bismilah is uttered during slaughter - not who makes the cut. So it could conceivably be done by two people - one non-muslim slaughterer and one muslim uttering the bismilah. But you know you could always look it up yourself if you are that interested.

Do they usually pay the guy who says the prayer?

Does kosher food preparation require a Jew onsite?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #155 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 10:03pm

freediver wrote on Sep 3rd, 2013 at 9:45pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 3rd, 2013 at 12:48pm:
Grey wrote on Sep 3rd, 2013 at 1:04am:
Neither do Jewish stomachs, yet kosher food has gone unremarked for decades.

Actually, so has halal. I know that Halal meat has been available here in Canberra since at least the 70s. No doubt at least as long in Sydney and Melbourne.

My parents live in a small country town - and there happens to be a local butcher who sources halal meat. I don't know of a single muslim in the town - but guess what? No one gives a poo  Smiley Good for us though - and my parent are only too happy to be able to provide meat for us when we visit.

freediver wrote on Sep 3rd, 2013 at 12:30pm:
????

I am surprised this is still going unnoticed.

Not sure FD. My understanding (which could be wrong) is that the important thing is that the bismilah is uttered during slaughter - not who makes the cut. So it could conceivably be done by two people - one non-muslim slaughterer and one muslim uttering the bismilah. But you know you could always look it up yourself if you are that interested.

I think it might, FD. How about that Danish salami? Marvellous stuff. I believe it’s made by a chap named Don.

Is he a Dane?

Poor fellow. I’ve seen him on the television. Can’t string more than two words together.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #156 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 10:07pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 3rd, 2013 at 5:49pm:
Soren wrote on Sep 3rd, 2013 at 1:23pm:
Geddit?

no I don't "geddit".

Why should there be choice if it tastes exactly the same?

Why do insist on halal if it tastes exactly the same?  Why are you trying to apply a standard to me - tastes exactly the same - which you yourself do not accept?

You want halal BECAUSE it is not about how it tastes. It is about Muslim ritual. You want me to accept Muslim ritual. But I am not a Muslim and I do not accept Islam. I most certainly do not accept Muslim ritual forced on me by giving me no choice but halal only.

Don't tell me you don't understand.i

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #157 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 10:16pm

Sorry, old chap, I didn’t quite get that. Can you speak a little more clearly?

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #158 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 10:35pm

The reason i dont care about Halal or non Halal is because saying a prayer when the animal is slaughtered doesnt actually change the meat in any way, the meat doesnt magically become different and start emanating Muslim vibrations. They can stand on their head and recite the alphabet backwards in the direction of Mars while they are slaughtering it as far as I am concerned. It will still be the same meat. Complete non issue.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #159 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 11:04pm

I went to the Woolworths deli counter the other day and tried to buy some fetta cheese.

Ask me to slow down if you can’t keep up, old boy.

Anyway, I took a ticket and waited for my number to be called. After finalizing another customer’s order, they called my number and asked me what I wished to purchase. I asserted my desire for fetta cheese. Of the Australian variety, thank you very much.

Sorry, old chap, I can’t stomach that foreign muck. Please don’t take offense.

So they pointed at some fishy white paste floating in water and I said, no. Australian, thanks.

They looked at the label.This is Danish, they said.

I want Australian, I said.

But it’s made in Australia, they said.

Well.

I can’t print my immediate response, but I can assure you, I was ropeable. Australian Danish cheese? What if I happen to want just Australian cheese? Or even Danish Australian cheese - will they sell me that?

They checked. No.

I’m not having that. I want Australian fetta cheese.

They couldn’t do it.

Let me tell you, I promised to take my custom elsewhere in future. I wasn’t having that nonsense. If I want Australian, Australian it shall be. I have been shopping at the Woolworths chain for many years. Good heavens, my family has been shopping there for generations.

And they wanted to sell me some foreign muck, supposedly made in Australia, but made to sound foreign.

Nothing personal, old boy, you understand. 

Pathetic, just pathetic. I told them so too. I can assure you, I gave that Indian deli chap a piece of my mind.

I didn’t even give him my ticket.

Can you believe it? Australian Danish cheese.

In the end, I went and bought some from Coles.

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2013 at 11:09pm by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #160 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 11:18pm

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #161 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 11:23pm

Good point. Quite right.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #162 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 6:21am

freediver wrote on Sep 3rd, 2013 at 9:45pm:

Who's "they".

I have no idea, and I frankly don't care. Clearly you need to know these things more than me. Baffling indeed that you don't just look these things up yourself.

Soren wrote on Sep 3rd, 2013 at 10:07pm:
You want halal BECAUSE it is not about how it tastes. It is about Muslim ritual. You want me to accept Muslim ritual. But I am not a Muslim and I do not accept Islam. I most certainly do not accept Muslim ritual forced on me by giving me no choice but halal only.

You're being hysterical. Fact: the vast majority of Australians simply don't give a sh!t. Clearly if non-muslims objected to halal meat, they wouldn't be profitable in mainstream supermarkets and butchers - as it is is today. Your entire case comes down to a couple of hicks down in hicksville at a school BBQ decided to b!tch about something because they had nothing better to do. Everyone else at the BBQ was happy to consume the identical-tasting meat.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #163 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 11:32am

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 4th, 2013 at 6:21am:
Everyone else at the BBQ was happy to consume the identical-tasting meat.

So why do you insist on halal if it tastes exactly the same?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #164 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 11:34am

Anyway, no point bitching Soren - in the end the market will sort it out. I mean its not as if its a great conspiracy to ensure that all meat will one day be all halal. The simple fact of the matter is it is encroaching on our supermarket floors because no one is objecting to it (save you and a couple of hicks at a primary school BBQ). If there really is a groundswell of objections to having halal meat at the supermarket, then it will obviously become profitable for someone to market non-halal-only meat at their business.

Maybe you can start one up S? Chop chop, stop whinging about it and do something about it!

Quote:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17
Send Topic Print