Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21
Send Topic Print
Executing prisoners of war (Read 97374 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: On Islamic historical sourcing
Reply #210 - Feb 9th, 2014 at 7:06pm

It's a fair question Gandalf. You say you support Muhammed's example as a great one to follow, but cannot bring yourself to support his actions when viewed objectively. If it is an example to follow, under what circumstances would you follow it?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #211 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 6:41am

freediver wrote on Feb 9th, 2014 at 7:06pm:
You say you support Muhammed's example as a great one to follow, but cannot bring yourself to support his actions when viewed objectively

Tell you what FD, if and when *YOU* are able to view the incident objectively, then I'll take the effort to try and explain what I support. Though we will of course be going over well-worn territory.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #212 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 6:53am

Yes you have already tried to justify Muhammed's actions. But you would never attempt to justify such behaviour in any other context. Hence my surprise that you described it as an excellent example to follow. All you have done in this thread is explain why you would never be in a position to actually follow that example.

Never ever.

I am viewing it objectively. Objectively, they were prisoners of war. Objectively, he slaughtered them. Objectively, Muhammed and his merry band of warmongers raped their wives. You are the one making up excuses.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #213 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 10:47am

freediver wrote on Feb 10th, 2014 at 6:53am:
Yes you have already tried to justify Muhammed's actions. But you would never attempt to justify such behaviour in any other context. Hence my surprise that you described it as an excellent example to follow.

Why would that surprise you? I think executing traitors in time of war who are conspiring to commit genocide on your small nation is an excellent example to follow, and I doubt too many people would disagree. The only people who pretend to disagree is those who cynically use wishy-washy western liberal morals as a tool to smear Muhammad and Islam.

And my point about context is to emphasise the fact that it is not (as you love to claim ad-nauseum) blanket permission or "command" as you originally put it, to go forth and find POWs just so they can be beheaded. It was a drastic action for a most drastic time - and anyone who looks at it honestly and objectively (not you, I know) would concede that it was not a case of a warmongering leader being unnecessary bloodthirsty, but a strong leader doing what he had to do to protect his people and the survival of his fledgling state. Thus it is not even about islamic doctrine - this is not a "sunna" action of Muhammad the religious teacher - it is merely the earthly actions of a statesman protecting his people.

And I'm not even going to dignify the claim of raping the women with a response.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Pete Waldo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

U.S.
Reply #214 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 10:28pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 10th, 2014 at 10:47am:
freediver wrote on Feb 10th, 2014 at 6:53am:
Yes you have already tried to justify Muhammed's actions. But you would never attempt to justify such behaviour in any other context. Hence my surprise that you described it as an excellent example to follow.

Why would that surprise you? I think executing traitors in time of war who are conspiring to commit genocide on your small nation is an excellent example to follow, and I doubt too many people would disagree.

Sure. Folks are always in favor of mass murder since it always sets such an "excellent example"!

The only people who pretend to disagree is those who cynically use wishy-washy western liberal morals as a tool to smear Muhammad and Islam.

Sure, gee, mass murder and genocide were always acceptable before we adopted "wishy-washy western liberal morals".
My friend, it is Muhammad and his imperialistic aggression, mass murder, rape and thievery that smears Muhammad.

Muhammadans are always wishing that their reprobate had something to do with Abraham, but what did Abraham over a thousand years before in the same circumstance, when he rescued his nephew Lot from his kidnapers? When those kidnappers even freely offered Abraham the "booty"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TycstTtTt8U

Genesis 14.20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all. 21 And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself. 22 And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth, 23 That I will not [take] from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that [is] thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:

You see? Abraham was a moral man that worked to support himself and his family, and so he didn't have steal the fruit of the labor of others, like a common criminal.

Ishaq:475 "We obeyed our Prophet's orders when he called us to war. When he called for violent efforts we made them. The Prophet's command is obeyed for he is truly believed. He will give us victory, glory, and a life of ease.

Satan's people mass murdering, raping and enslaving Yahweh's people, while stealing their property. Muhammad's, Muhammad serving alter-ego "Allah", even lavishing on him a fifth of all of the property stolen from others, just like a Mafia Don.

And my point about context is to emphasise the fact that it is not (as you love to claim ad-nauseum) blanket permission or "command" as you originally put it, to go forth and find POWs just so they can be beheaded. It was a drastic action for a most drastic time - and anyone who looks at it honestly and objectively (not you, I know) would concede that it was not a case of a warmongering leader being unnecessary bloodthirsty, but a strong leader doing what he had to do to protect his people and the survival of his fledgling state. Thus it is not even about islamic doctrine - this is not a "sunna" action of Muhammad the religious teacher - it is merely the earthly actions of a statesman protecting his people.

And I'm not even going to dignify the claim of raping the women with a response.

1. First of all in order to allege that the Banu Qurayza were betrayers you are going to need to support it through something other than modern day rewriting of the record, by Muhammadans who recognize it as cold blooded mass murder, and thus try to obscure and cover the record.
Otherwise the truth would have to be recognized which is that Muhammad and his band of fellow cutthroat thieves attacked those peaceful farmers solely because they lusted after the property and women of the Banu Qurayza.
http://www.answering-islam.org/Responses/Osama/zawadi_banu_qurayza.htm

2. Secondly Muhammadans reject as illegitimate that one person could take the punishment for another, so you would have to account that each and every one of the members of the Banu Qurayza tribe were guilty of what you allege. That includes those innocent, peaceful, faithful, literate, productive Jewish farm boys who had just begun to sprout pubic hair.

Tabari VIII:38 "The Messenger of Allah commanded that all of the Jewish men and boys who had reached puberty should be beheaded. Then the Prophet divided the wealth, wives, and children of the Banu Qurayza Jews among the Muslims."

Abu Dawud 38:4390 Narrated Atiyyah al-Qurazi: I was among the captives of Banu Qurayza. They (the Companions) examined us, and those who had begun to grow hair (pubes) were killed, and those who had not were not killed. I was among those who had not grown hair.

Tabari VIII:35/Ishaq:464 "The Jews were made to come down, and Allah's Messenger imprisoned them. Then the Prophet went out into the marketplace of Medina (it is still its marketplace today), and he had trenches dug in it. He sent for the Jewish men and had them beheaded in those trenches. They were brought out to him in batches. They numbered 800 to 900 boys and men."
http://www.falseprophetmuhammad.com/jesus_or_muhammad.htm
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2014 at 10:37pm by Pete Waldo »  

Truth can never be told so as to be understood and not be believed. ~ William Blake
IP Logged

Stratos
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #215 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 10:43pm

Pete Waldo wrote on Feb 10th, 2014 at 10:28pm:
You see? Abraham was a moral man that worked to support himself and his family, and so he didn't have steal the fruit of the labor of others, like a common criminal.

Abraham was a psychopath who was perfectly willing to murder his own son

Pete Waldo wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 11:24pm:
Thus killing those Canaanite babies while they were still innocent, was a particularly merciful act

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #216 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 11:29pm

Stratos wrote on Feb 10th, 2014 at 10:43pm:

Stratos,

1/ Abraham was willing to obey God - and sacrifice his son.

2/ Abraham knew [had faith] that God was able to restore life to Isaac [if he obeyed God, and sacrificed his son].

3/ As Genesis 18 attests, Abraham was NOT a psychopath....

4/ Abraham was a righteous man, and a friend of God.

Genesis 18:16
And the men rose up from thence, and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with them to bring them on the way.
17  And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;
18  Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
19  For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
20  And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
21  I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.
22  And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD.
23  And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?
24  Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein?
25  That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

26  And the LORD said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes.
27  And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes:
28  Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for lack of five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy it.
29  And he spake unto him yet again, and said, Peradventure there shall be forty found there. And he said, I will not do it for forty's sake.
30  And he said unto him, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak: Peradventure there shall thirty be found there. And he said, I will not do it, if I find thirty there.
31  And he said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord: Peradventure there shall be twenty found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for twenty's sake.
32  And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake.
33  And the LORD went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham: and Abraham returned unto his place.

James 2:23
And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Stratos
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #217 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 11:33pm

Yadda wrote on Feb 10th, 2014 at 11:29pm:
2/ Abraham knew [had faith] that God was able to restore life to Isaac [if he obeyed God, and sacrificed his son].

What?

And no sorry Yadda. if something can convince you it is OK, or even a good thing to take a knife to your son's throat, that is horrible.  Maybe we can add it to your list of murdering babies and genocide that you think are OK (but only if Christians or Jews do it of course)

Thus killing those Canaanite babies while they were still innocent, was a particularly merciful act

IP Logged

Pete Waldo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

U.S.
Reply #218 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 2:22am

Yadda wrote on Feb 10th, 2014 at 11:29pm:
Stratos wrote on Feb 10th, 2014 at 10:43pm:

Stratos,

1/ Abraham was willing to obey God - and sacrifice his son.

3/ As Genesis 18 attests, Abraham was NOT a psychopath....

4/ Abraham was a righteous man, and a friend of God.

Come on Yadda, as his posts increasingly demonstrate, it becomes evermore obvious that he is more interested in spewing blasphemy and fulfilling prophecy than considering the consequences of it.

2Ti 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

The amazing part is that he recognizes fulfilled prophecy like Jews being restored to their land.

"I do recognise the Jewish people returning to Israel as events that were predicted....."
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1388621936/165#165

This offers us proof of God - yet he continues to blaspheme the God responsible for it, even as he even knows where scripture suggests it will take him.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2014 at 3:58am by Pete Waldo »  

Truth can never be told so as to be understood and not be believed. ~ William Blake
IP Logged

Stratos
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #219 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 5:01am

Pete Waldo wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 2:22am:
2Ti 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived

I love how you are trying to portray me as evil, while you are defending the actions of a man who tied up his son on an altar, and was perfectly willing to have at him with a knife.  These are not the actions of a healthy man Pete

Also, resorting to Ad Hominem arguments again Pete.  Attack the argument, not the person.

yet he continues to blaspheme the God responsible for it

What about what I said regarding Abraham was untrue?

IP Logged

Pete Waldo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

U.S.
Reply #220 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 5:13am

Stratos wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 5:01am:
2Ti 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived

I love how you are trying to portray me as evil, while you are defending the actions of a man who tied up his son on an altar, and was perfectly willing to have at him with a knife.  These are not the actions of a healthy man Pete

Also, resorting to Ad Hominem arguments again Pete.  Attack the argument, not the person.

yet he continues to blaspheme the God responsible for it

What about what I said regarding Abraham was untrue?

Your understanding is "true" for a Godless carnal person that is of the world, who stands outside of the Spirit of God.

Yadda already explained the truth to you, from the perspective of people that are in the kingdom of God, and filled with God's Spirit. It was a test of Abraham's faith and he passed it with flying colors. Let alone that the incident served as a "type", or foreshadowing, of Yahweh's sacrifice of His own Son, to save us all from sin. He loved us that much.

The part that amazes me is that you keep insisting on spewing blasphemy, against the very God that you recognize as having arranged for prophecy to be fulfilled.
I just keep trying to imagine just what it is you believe you are contributing to this forum.

IP Logged

Stratos
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #221 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 5:35am

Pete Waldo wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 5:13am:
It was a test of Abraham's faith and he passed it with flying colors

He passed the test by being willing to cut open his son with a knife.  That's not the kind of test anyone should want to pass.

Pete Waldo wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 5:13am:
Yadda already explained the truth to you, from the perspective of people that are in the kingdom of God, and filled with God's Spirit

Making more excuses for blatant cruelty.  So it looks like we can add child abuse to infanticide and genocide as things you find acceptable as long as they aren't done by Muslims.

IP Logged

Pete Waldo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

U.S.
Reply #222 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 11:36am

Since you once again ducked the bulk of my post, it would help me understand you, if you could confirm that when you were with (as  memory serves, the AoG) did you ever speak in tongues?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #223 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 1:15pm

In Pete's defense, the Abraham test pitted his love for his son against his trust in God. Trust in God is the most important thing for adherents of all three Abrahamic faiths, and the willingness to put faith in God above everything else - even the love of your own child - is pretty much the end goal. Its not really something a non-adherent observing from the outside can really understand. So with respect stratos, I think it is a little unfair to judge christians (or jews or muslims) for aspiring to put trust and love in God above absolutely everything else.

Also, in the Quranic version, Abraham actually discussed the proposal with his son, and it was his son who convinced him to do it. I'm not too familiar with the biblical version, but someone here made the case that Isaac was actually a grown man in his 30s.

Whats perhaps more interesting though is the culture of child sacrifice that appears all through the Bible. You may recall the same people here defending Abraham's test were also defending the mass genocide of the Canaanites on the basis that the Canaanites were so barbaric they practiced child sacrifice. There is also a famous story from the bible where one leader found himself in difficulty during one battle, then in desperation promised God that he would sacrifice the first thing that greets him after the battle if He would grant him victory. He won the battle, but to his horror, the first person to greet him was his own daughter.

Quote:

IP Logged

Stratos
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #224 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 1:49pm

Pete Waldo wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 11:36am:
Since you once again ducked the bulk of my post, it would help me understand you, if you could confirm that when you were with (as  memory serves, the AoG) did you ever speak in tongues?

No idea why you would think either of those things, as I have never mentioned being part of an AoG church, or speaking in tongues.

I have never been at a church where tongues were spoken, or attended an AoG service.

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 1:15pm:
So with respect stratos, I think it is a little unfair to judge christians (or jews or muslims) for aspiring to put trust and love in God above absolutely everything else.

Gonna have to disagree with this Gandalf.  I understand faith is supposed to be above all, but surely any faith which instructs a man to murder his own child as an act of faith is downright horrific.  Any sane person would not comply with this kind of request.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21
Send Topic Print