Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 21
Send Topic Print
Executing prisoners of war (Read 97428 times)
polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: On Islamic historical sourcing
Reply #15 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 3:45pm

freediver wrote on Jul 19th, 2013 at 3:02pm:
So they all deserved to get their heads chopped off?

One day perhaps you will understand, in the words of Clint Eastwood, 'deserves' got nothing to do with it.

Baronvonrort wrote on Jul 19th, 2013 at 3:12pm:
Show me where this verse is in the torah

You really are silly Baron. You can't even understand the arguments put forward by your own racist source.

Here you go:
http://www.ishwar.com/judaism/holy_torah/book05/book05_020.html verses 10-18, just like the bible.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 4:20pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jul 19th, 2013 at 3:45pm:
Baronvonrort wrote on Jul 19th, 2013 at 3:12pm:
Show me where this verse is in the torah

You really are silly Baron. You can't even understand the arguments put forward by your own racist source.

Here you go:
http://www.ishwar.com/judaism/holy_torah/book05/book05_020.html verses 10-18, just like the bible.

Wiki islam says the application of that verse is wrong in that situation did you miss that part?
www.wikiislam.net/wiki/The_Genocide_of_Banu_Qurayza

Muslims are not a race of people therefore criticism of Islam or muslims cannot be considered racist unless you are an ignorant dumbfvckistani.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #17 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 5:51pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Jul 19th, 2013 at 4:20pm:
Wiki islam says the application of that verse is wrong in that situation

Thats correct. Glad that you understand that now. Contrasted with your original claim that Deuteronomy 20:10:18 is only found in the bible, and that it is (in your words) "not the law of the Torah" - which it is.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 6:19pm

Quote:
I am not sure what the argy bargy is about but I hope everyone is being careful not to judge by (hopefully upheld) standards of the modern enlightened west to wars and conflict and applying that to ancient and medieval times, cos it reads to me that is what is happening.

According to Muslims, these "standards" are eternal laws, not something best left in the past. I wouldn't have a go at central asians about Ghengis Khan for example, unless they decided he was God's prophet and an eternal example of how to live. That's what Islam is. We are criticising Muslims for their beliefs, not their history.

Quote:
And those debating from both sides should not be surprised that rapes and mass or executions happen in most wars of all times, both condoned and extralegal.

When was the last time that our society condoned rape and mass execution?

Quote:
In fact if I read this thread right, both sides of the "debate"
are being ridiculous in partisan defence of a favoured side/group/religion.
'

Then you miss the point completely. This is not an argument over who has the most righteous history.

Gandalf:

Quote:
One day perhaps you will understand, in the words of Clint Eastwood, 'deserves' got nothing to do with it.

So in Islam justice is more a matter of practicality, or convenience? If the Muslims are better off for removing the head of every single man, stealing everything they own and taking all their women as sex slaves, it doesn't really matter whether they deserve it?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #19 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 7:47pm

True Colours wrote on Jul 19th, 2013 at 12:59am:
The violated the treaty that bound them to protect Madina. Instead of defending Madina, as they had promised, they actually attacked Madina from behind whilst the pagans of Mecca attacked from the other side.

True Colours wrote on Jul 19th, 2013 at 6:54pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 18th, 2013 at 2:49pm:
So what actually happened with this battle? Did the two forces actually clash? How many Muslims were killed?

It doesn't matter if they never clashed.

Should attempted murderers be let off if their plots fail. Should terrorists be let off if their pots don't get carried out?

The promise of the Jews to attack the Muslims was enough to embolden the pagan attackers from Mecca which was harmful in itself.

TC, can you explain this apparent contradiction?

IP Logged

True Colours
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 11:44pm

freediver wrote on Jul 19th, 2013 at 7:47pm:
True Colours wrote on Jul 19th, 2013 at 12:59am:
The violated the treaty that bound them to protect Madina. Instead of defending Madina, as they had promised, they actually attacked Madina from behind whilst the pagans of Mecca attacked from the other side.

True Colours wrote on Jul 19th, 2013 at 6:54pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 18th, 2013 at 2:49pm:
So what actually happened with this battle? Did the two forces actually clash? How many Muslims were killed?

It doesn't matter if they never clashed.

Should attempted murderers be let off if their plots fail. Should terrorists be let off if their pots don't get carried out?

The promise of the Jews to attack the Muslims was enough to embolden the pagan attackers from Mecca which was harmful in itself.

TC, can you explain this apparent contradiction?

No contradicion, the Jews announced that they were breaking their treaty to protect Madina. They made promises to the besieging pagan army to attack Madina from the rear. The Jews treacherously provided supplies for attackers so that the siege lasted for a month when it should have been called off much earlier when they realised that the Muslims had collected the harvests and let no food outside Madina.

Jews took up offensive positions behind the Muslims in preparation for attack ready to strike against the Muslims in full scale war should the pagans breach Muslim fortifications.

Jewish soldiers attempted to take advantage of the situation by raiding the areas behind battle lines where Muslim women and children were seeking safety.

A Jewish raider was killed by a Muslim woman, so the Jews then lost their nerve and backed off.

Raids, aiding the enemy, is it full scale war? Either way it demonstrates hostile intent and treachery in the face of their prior treaties and commitments.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #21 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 8:30am

It would be hard to describe it as an attack while still claiming to be honest, especially in the context of war. Do you value honesty?

Do you have more information about these raids? Every time someone makes a claim about what these scheming Jews got up to and I ask for more info, they suddenly they go all silent, like when I asked about how many Muslim soldiers were killed in these so-called "attacks".

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #22 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 10:08am

FD, since when did a treacherous act require a body count?

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 11:54am

Since Muhammed decided it was convenient for him?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #24 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 12:04pm

So just to clarify FD, you believe that the act of treachery must necessary involve people being killed - right?

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #25 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 12:11pm

If you are going to execute someone for espionage (or rape their female relatives), they should have actually engaged in espionage, not merely been related to the person who committed the crime.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #26 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 12:11pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jul 20th, 2013 at 12:01pm:
Still, islam was the first religion/legal system that laid down some ground rule for lawful combat: no killing of non-combatants, no disproportionality, and no random destruction of property.

When the 700 men were executed, were they combatants or prisoners?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #27 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 12:29pm

perhaps an analogy will help you see the flaw in your argument FD:

Under US law, treason is considered a serious crime (perhaps even a capital offense).

So lets say, a US citizen starts helping the taliban in their fight against the US. The US launch an attack where this US citizen is hiding. The holdout is overwhelmed by the US forces, and the treasonous US citizen emerges with his hands over his head. He is taken into custody, whereupon he is tried and convicted for treason - and punished for it.

So lets imagine treason is a capital offense (which I think it still is, though rarely carried out). The captured man is convicted at a traitor, and sentenced to death. So if we were to apply your logic, the man should never be sentenced to death by the US because he had previously surrendered to US forces. Just like the men of the Banu Quraysa somehow shouldn't have been convicted and sentenced as traitors by Muhammad because they had previously surrendered to Muhammad.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #28 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 12:34pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jul 20th, 2013 at 12:29pm:
perhaps an analogy will help you see the flaw in your argument FD:

Under US law, treason is considered a serious crime (perhaps even a capital offense).

So lets say, a US citizen starts helping the taliban in their fight against the US. The US launch an attack where this US citizen is hiding. The holdout is overwhelmed by the US forces, and the treasonous US citizen emerges with his hands over his head. He is taken into custody, whereupon he is tried and convicted for treason - and punished for it.

So lets imagine treason is a capital offense (which I think it still is, though rarely carried out). The captured man is convicted at a traitor, and sentenced to death. So if we were to apply your logic, the man should never be sentenced to death by the US because he had previously surrendered to US forces. Just like the men of the Banu Quraysa somehow shouldn't have been convicted and sentenced as traitors by Muhammad because they had previously surrendered to Muhammad.

Why are you so incapable of seeing the point Gandalf? By Muhammed's standard every man involved in the holdout and every male relative they could track down would be taken as a prisoner of war and then executed. The women would all be taken as sex slaves. Even all the land and possessions they owned would be taken. The same would happen to anyone who even discussed helping them out.

Are you trying to say there is some kind of moral equivalence between executing one person who actually committed the crime of espionage, and Muhammed executing 700 POWs, raping all the women, enslaving the children and stealing everything they own?

Are you familiar with the concept of proportionality?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #29 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 12:57pm

No FD, your argument was based on the logic that executing POWs is a war crime. You ignored the fact that POWs can subsequently be found guilty of treason, and punished accordingly. Particularly if they are citizens of the same side that captured them.

If you want to now turn this into a discussion about unjustly punishing innocents, fine, but as far as I can see there is no case to be made. There is no reason to suspect that any of the ~600 fighting men had any objection to the treachery their leaders were committing. And as we all know, 'just following orders' is not a defense. Members of the tribe had opportunities to disassociate themselves with the treason by declaring their loyalty to the muslims - and a few did. So when the tribe surrendered, all combatants present there (and no, they didn't go "tracking down" relatives in far off lands), were, by association, guilty of treason. So tough titties.

freediver wrote on Jul 20th, 2013 at 12:34pm:
raping all the women

I think I'll start boycotting this debate if you insist on bringing up this ridiculous lie every time.

Quote:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 21
Send Topic Print