Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What's on your "to read" list (Read 5530 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: What's on your "to read" list
Reply #15 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 12:27am

Looking at reading Lee Child's "Jack Reacher" books. Actually bought the first six books online the other night. Then thought later that they might not be all that great to read, since I haven't bothered with the first book before going for five other books. Have I made a rash and poor choice in buying these books?

IP Logged

Freedumb
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #16 - Oct 15th, 2014 at 5:21pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Sep 29th, 2014 at 12:27am:
Looking at reading Lee Child's "Jack Reacher" books. Actually bought the first six books online the other night. Then thought later that they might not be all that great to read, since I haven't bothered with the first book before going for five other books. Have I made a rash and poor choice in buying these books?

I wouldn't say they're amazing, but they're entertaining enough.

The good thing is that you don't have to read them in order. They can easily be followed from which ever book you decide to read.

Nothing would be what it is,
Because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary-wise - what it is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would.
You see?

- Lewis Carroll

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Oct 15th, 2014 at 9:58pm

The latest in the series just arrived in my mail today ... read them all, twice  ... love them. As Freedumb said, it doesn't matter what order you read them in. I don't think they were even written in chronological order

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #18 - Oct 22nd, 2014 at 2:34am

Freedumb wrote on Oct 15th, 2014 at 5:21pm:

The good thing is that you don't have to read them in order. They can easily be followed from which ever book you decide to read.

I would have to take my mind off another book, and try to get my mind focused on these books. My first 4 books came in the post today. The next two should be arriving soon. I'll start with the first book, and then read them out of publishing order.

IP Logged

Freedumb
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #19 - Oct 22nd, 2014 at 7:46pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 22nd, 2014 at 2:34am:

I would have to take my mind off another book, and try to get my mind focused on these books. My first 4 books came in the post today. The next two should be arriving soon. I'll start with the first book, and then read them out of publishing order.

What book is your mind focused on?

Nothing would be what it is,
Because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary-wise - what it is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would.
You see?

- Lewis Carroll

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #20 - Oct 22nd, 2014 at 11:21pm

Freedumb wrote on Oct 22nd, 2014 at 7:46pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 22nd, 2014 at 2:34am:

What book is your mind focused on?

I was reading Antony Beevor's "Stalingrad", and I couldn't focus. It's a good read, but my mind is elsewhere. Going to read "killing floor" in this Jack Reacher series.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #21 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 3:58am

Absolute page turner of a book. I may have my first book read within the week of getting it.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #22 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 2:22pm

Here's a book coming up that may interest history buffs - SPQR by Mary Beard.
A history of Rome from around 63 BC to 212 AD.
I'd prefer the whole history but the author sounds pretty interesting:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/saturdayextra/ancient-rome/7137260

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #23 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:28pm

I am about embark on the poems of WB Yeats.

I think if you are going to get anything out of the Bible, you will have a positive predisposition towards it. I don't. Any time I looked at it, I could have been reading the telephone book.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print