Send Topic Print
artificial reefs (Read 12848 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
artificial reefs
Jun 17th, 2013 at 1:18pm

Do artificial reefs increase total fish stocks, or merely concentrate existing stocks?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Doctor Jolly
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: artificial reefs
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 1:25pm

I dont know.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 5:40pm

I would say that in general they do for the main reasons that they provide shelter from predators (not human) and plant food sources will be more abundant and grow better closer to the surface.

The reason that they might not work is that they also attract existing fish to a localised area where fishing is made easier. In that respect there would have to be restrictions.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 6:33pm

I am not sure what effect shelter from predators would have, as it is mostly the predators we target. More plant food sources makes sense. A sandy bottom seems like a bit of a desert to me, whereas a reef with lots of things growing on it has more biomass at the bottom of the food chain.

The reason I ask is that I saw a few articles today about artificial reefs in moreton bay. These are not decommissioned ships or garbage, but custom made concrete blocks. They cost about $250 000 each, which wouldn't even get you a house these days, but still seems like a lot of money.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 6:37pm

Depends upon the AR provided?
The Poor Knight Islands as a NO TAKE ZONE proliferated both number and size of fish in the area that the once angry Fisherman were happy chappies 6 years later with the 'Spillover' effect.

I'm not a big fan of Ex-Naval Ships being 'dumped' under the excuse of 'Artificial Reef' as not every 'dumped' ship attracts aquatic life, let alone proliferates aquatic numbers and life. Many don't.

Ex-Naval Ships are now mostly dumped for Scuba Diving Tourism, mostly in regards to Photographers, Tech Divers doing their 'Wreck Specialty' Certification and all things concerning $$$ ...no real concern for enhancing Aquatic Life.

If they did, they would have spent $3million (eg: Ex-HMAS Adelaide at Avoca, NSW) better by having a purposely built and designed AR that would have a far greater success rate for Aquatic Life towards proliferation of numbers and size.

Majority of Aquatic Life upon Wrecks & 'dumped' ships  - accumulates 'externally'. Only silt, a Wobbegong and Bullseyes reside further in.

The Yongala is a good example of much life around a Wreck, but many 'dumped' ships still have little life upon them even after 15 years. I've dived the immense Lermontov (NZ) and the Tugs of Eden - both have 'some' life around em, but nothing amazingly extrodinary.

Max Gleeson's videos upon Wrecks of NSW is probably the best collection to get the best impression of Aquatic Life around Wrecks as unlike most 'Commercial' Diver Doco makers, Max gets the 'Panoramic and whole Wreck' shots upon very clear viz days.

VARS's (Victorian Artificial Reef Society) has a motto "Trash for Treasure". Victoria dumps heaps of ships outside Port Phillip Bay, mostly for Dive Tourism - a metal version of the GBR.

Alas, 'dumping' ships leaves the door open for 'anyone' to dump 'anything' under the excuse of Artificial Reef, even with a lil' green sticker on it Wink
I could dump a stolen car and call it an AR  Roll Eyes
Nippon and USA use gigantic floating barges to dump MEGATONNAGE of rubbish out into the 'deep' sea.  Cry Angry
I guess Pilots are right when they say to me "We fly up to Heaven and leave the Toilet behind for you Divers to clean." Angry

Proper research and design for that particular environment under consideration for an AR would be far more successful in stimulating growth in size and numbers. When the house is full, the kids move out and that's where the Fishing Industry will benefit in a sustainable and long term way.

Currently, Commercial Fishing (if not Recreational too?) is now free to fish in all/any Reserve or Sanctuary Zone.
Why?
Many reasons I'm sure - like: they have run out everywhere else due to stupidity.
Because they can thanks to Politians, rather than Conservationists.
Money$$$ more than need to feed.
..and more. Tongue

Anything with an 'open overhang' provides great stimulus for Aquatic life.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 6:47pm

From what I understand ( from the literature) YES they do..

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 6:55pm

Gizmo, which bit are you agreeing with?

Jas:

Quote:
Currently, Commercial Fishing (if not Recreational too?) is now free to fish in all/any Reserve or Sanctuary Zone.

What are you talking about?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 6:58pm

Even if the effect is only to concentrate existing stocks, reducing fuel consumption and saving time could still be a real benefit.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 7:03pm

freediver wrote on Jun 17th, 2013 at 6:55pm:
Gizmo, which bit are you agreeing with?

Jas:

Quote:

What are you talking about?

"Do artificial reefs increase total fish stocks,"...YES they increase
total fish stocks

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 7:22pm

NSW (Liberals) have allowed Commercial Fishing to operate in Reserves and Sactuary Zones.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 7:44pm

Can you post a link to more info on this please?

IP Logged

rabbitoh07
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 7:47pm

freediver wrote on Jun 17th, 2013 at 1:18pm:
Do artificial reefs increase total fish stocks, or merely concentrate existing stocks?

If well designed they will provide more habitat for certain species, and potentially increase certain fish stocks.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #12 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 7:55pm

Fair call FD. Will choof off to find one.  Wink

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #13 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 8:01pm

$250k concrete blocks sounds like a waste of money to me too.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 8:03pm

I think that buys about 80 or so of them. It was $250k for the reef, or the upgrade to the reef,

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print