Send Topic Print
artificial reefs (Read 12846 times)
It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Re: artificial reefs
Reply #15 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 8:24pm

Concrete is not a good material for AR's.
Besides being 'expensive' and 'heavy'.

...my mistake Embarrassed
Most info I'm finding refers specifically to FORMER Reserves & Zones (eg: Solitary Islands) that now allow Commercial Fishing.
I must confer to my fellow Divers who are Conservatives/Enviro's/etc who told me word of mouth 'otherwise'.
They tend to 'over-do' things sometimes, just like Fishing has over the years  Wink Tongue

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 8:36pm

I have been told the same thing by fishermen.

Heavy is good. You don't want it to float away.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #17 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 8:49pm

...or break up and crumble.
Haven't been into AR's for a while.
Trying to remember what 'is' the best material?

7 months back, I was down at Queenscliff Marine Centre in VIC. They have those concrete 'AReef Balls'.
Not bad, but they are small and only useful to 'some' species.
Snorkled the Ozone Wreck further north. Old paddlesteamer wreck that lays a short swim off the beach with a depth of 6m (the wheel sticks out of the water). It was an amazing display of aquatic life all around and amongst it. Plenty of plant life too!
I think it is because it is in a 'sheltered' part though.
Isn't smashed around as much by surge, current, pressure, etc.

Anything like Umbrella, Mushroom and if possible, the size of a Jetty or Wharf... to me is the winning formula from what 'associated' examples I've seen.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 6:55pm

I think they would increase productivity. If you look at natural areas some are more productive than others. Actually there was a NSW fisheries manager on TV the other night talking about areas they have surveyed and one of the most productive areas they have found was Sydney Harbour!

PS: weren't you saying something about Sydney being the most overfished areas in Australia and crying out for marine parks?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #19 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 7:02pm

Sydney Harbour has some major problems with pollution. I think there are limitations on pro fishing because of this, as well as advice on restricting consumption of fish from certain areas for recreational fishermen. Obviously that makes it easier to catch fish. The effect is similar to that of a marine park, though you are still faced with the question of would you eat them.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 8:02pm

freediver wrote on Jun 19th, 2013 at 7:02pm:
Sydney Harbour has some major problems with pollution. I think there are limitations on pro fishing because of this, as well as advice on restricting consumption of fish from certain areas for recreational fishermen. Obviously that makes it easier to catch fish. The effect is similar to that of a marine park, though you are still faced with the question of would you eat them.

Nice try but the show was a re-run. They were talking about commercial fishing still being in operation in Sydney Harbour. Also they were talking about the 'recent' banning of kingfish traps - which occured in the 1990's.
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2013 at 8:17pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #21 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 8:35pm

I apologise PJ. It was wrong of me to doubt your interpretation of your recollection of something you heard a bureaucrat say on TV the other night.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #22 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 8:40pm

Most of Sydney is 'polluted', let alone the harbour.
But I say this admitting that since the 90's and the efforts taken. The Harbour waters have improved immensely from the feedback mostly from Divers I know who have been diving long before as well.

They've even had a submersible in Sydney Harbour these past few weeks looking around, like the Currajong Wreck. Alas, harbour viz hasn't been good atm.

There is no way I eat Seafood from Sydney! Tongue
I don't care if Doyles are offering 'Two-Heads' for the price of one with their 'Fish of the Day'.

I only consume from Wollongong and south.
Luckily here in Leeton, we get our Seafood from Eden.
Yum!

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 8:52pm

freediver wrote on Jun 19th, 2013 at 8:35pm:
I apologise PJ. It was wrong of me to doubt your interpretation of your recollection of something you heard a bureaucrat say on TV the other night.

It's not hard to verify FD. How about this for starters:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/archive/news-releases/fishing-and-aquaculture/2008/sydney-harbour-thumbs-up

Sydney Harbour gets thumbs up from fishersSydney fishers have overwhelming declared Sydney Harbour as a great spot to fish, in one of the largest field-based recreational fishing surveys in Australia, Minister for Primary Industries Ian Macdonald said today.

Sydney fishers have overwhelming declared Sydney Harbour as a great spot to fish, in one of the largest field-based recreational fishing surveys in Australia, Minister for Primary Industries Ian Macdonald said today.

Mr Macdonald said the survey was part of a $2.2 million, two-year survey of NSW major recreational fisheries in the Greater Sydney Region.

"Results from the first stage of this research is great news for fishers - more than 70 per cent of fishers rated the Sydney Harbour fishery as good to very good with respect to the number, size and variety of fish available," Mr Macdonald said.

"Only 11 per cent of fishers considered it poor, which proves the vast majority of fishers value Sydney Harbour as a quality recreational fishing spot.

"More than 406 angling parties - representing 838 anglers - were involved in the Sydney Harbour surveys with around 70 per cent being shore-based and 30 per cent boat-based.

Minister Macdonald said Sydney Harbour is the oldest and most loved fishery in Australia.

"Importantly, this survey shows us that we are providing quality fishing areas for recreational fishers and ensuring sustainable fishing well into the future," he said.

"Anglers are catching a range of fish including snapper, yellowtail scad, yellowfin bream, yellowtail kingfish, tailor, dusky flathead, squid, sand whiting and silver sweep.

"It’s great to see that Sydney’s recreational fishers are catching a wide variety of fish, and are happy with the diversity and size.

"Staff are also surveying more than 25,000 fishing parties from across the Greater Sydney Region as part of the two-year project including the Hawkesbury River estuary, Port Hacking estuary, Norah Head, Terrigal, Long Reef, Bellambi, Port Kembla and Shellharbour.

"Survey staff are out on boats, at fishing spots and boat ramps interviewing fisherman about recreational fishing in the area. They are spending time finding out from recreational fishers about the time they spend fishing, what they catch and their views on the quality of the fishery."

The survey is jointly funded by NSW DPI and the Recreational Fishing Trust.

More information
Greater Sydney Recreational Fishing Survey

Phone: 0438 209 28

Media contact: Jason Bartlett, 0438 209 28

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 9:12pm

Thanks PJ. That was even more irrelevant than I expected.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #25 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 9:14pm

Underwater footage of what I saw of Upper Harbour (towards Parramatta) just blew me away in how disgustingly toxic-looking it ...looked. It was a dead zone almost.
That was in 2000.
Underwater surveys by various Divers (not affiliated with Fishing or Govt paid 'Scientists') have just began at the start of this month. Along with the help of the handy 'Go-Pro' cameras. The true quality of the harbour will be revealed. These Divers are NOT on the take from 'local' Dive Shops either who would be totally bais in saying everything is 'Fantastic!'.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 9:20pm

freediver wrote on Jun 19th, 2013 at 9:12pm:
Thanks PJ. That was even more irrelevant than I expected.

You really put a lot of thought into your posts don't you? Your reply is even more air-headed than I expected.

Please tell me how it is irrelevant?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #27 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 9:22pm

Are you asking me to prove a negative?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 7:33am

freediver wrote on Jun 19th, 2013 at 9:22pm:
Are you asking me to prove a negative?

No, I'm asking you to justify your statement - one line inanities don't do that!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print