Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 56
Send Topic Print
What are you currently reading? (Read 203285 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: What are you currently reading?
Reply #630 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 4:23pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 2nd, 2019 at 11:40pm:
Bought the 7 John Marsden books of the Tomorrow series, for $30. See if I can get through them all in a month.

*thhppppt* I would not even get through one of the books in a month. Barely worthwhile reading.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #631 - Dec 5th, 2019 at 8:38pm

Reading (on and off) the Baby Farmers by Annie Cossins

Grim

Set in Sydney, late 1800s

Anyone who thinks it was better back in the Good Old Days should read books based in that era and their minds would change fast

Example:  young couple, both working.  Couldn't afford to get married.  Had a child out of wedlock.  Handed it to an older couple of baby-farmers to take care of.  The young couple paid the older couple and went to visit their child on weekends, taking little gifts for it, etc.  If it had become known that they'd had a child out of wedlock, they would have lost their jobs

The older couple basically starved the poor infant to death. Then took money from the child's parents for a funeral, after which they buried the child in the backyard of the dump in which they (older couple) were living.  Twelve more babies were buried by the older couple in various locations, usually in inner Sydney

and that's how it goes, with graphically described conditions under which a large proportion of Sydney's inhabitants were living at the time

Also dipping into Render Unto Rome -- the Secret Life of Money in the Catholic Church

and Niall Ferguson's The Square and the Tower -- Networks, Hierarchies and the Struggle for Global Power

the latter is fascinating.  Who knew that Nathan Rothschild began his career in the UK by buying cloth (which he claimed was incredibly cheap) from England's north and reselling it in Germany -- and doing it personally in no-frills style

but my eyes aren't up to it the way they used to be, unfortunately, even with magnifying glasses.  Wish I could smash books' contents straight into my skull instead of squinting to read

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #632 - Dec 5th, 2019 at 9:21pm

PZ547 wrote on Dec 5th, 2019 at 8:38pm:
  Wish I could smash books' contents straight into my skull instead of squinting to read

https://www.audible.com.au/

Render unto Rome
The Secret Life of Money in the Catholic Church
By: Jason Berry
Narrated by: Jason Berry
Length: 17 hrs and 59 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release date: 07-06-2011
Language: English
Publisher: Random House Audio

The Square and the Tower
Networks, Hierarchies and the Struggle for Global Power
By: Niall Ferguson
Narrated by: John Sackville
Length: 16 hrs and 5 mins
Release date: 05-10-2017

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #633 - Dec 5th, 2019 at 9:25pm

Frank wrote on Dec 5th, 2019 at 9:21pm:
PZ547 wrote on Dec 5th, 2019 at 8:38pm:
  Wish I could smash books' contents straight into my skull instead of squinting to read

https://www.audible.com.au/

Render unto Rome
Unabridged Audiobook

The Square and the Tower
Networks, Hierarchies and the Struggle for Global Power
By: Niall Ferguson
Narrated by: John Sackville
Length: 16 hrs and 5 mins
Release date: 05-10-2017

Gee, thanks, Frank  Smiley

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #634 - Dec 5th, 2019 at 9:33pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Nov 3rd, 2019 at 2:23pm:
The last Painting of Sara De Vos

Dominic Smith

That was really good.

The Last Painting of Sara de Vos
By: Dominic Smith
Narrated by: Edoardo Ballerini
Length: 9 hrs and 57 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release date: 08-02-16
Publisher: Bolinda Publishing Pty Ltd

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #635 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 9:21pm

Is anyone a James Ellroy fan? Brilliant interview in The Spectator:
FEATURES

‘I was a tortured, obviously brilliant child’: James Ellroy interviewed
The crime writer on God, drugs and his mother’s murder
Sam Leith

21 December 2019

James Ellroy is occasionally quoted as saying he’s the greatest American crime novelist ever. The man sometimes called the ‘demon dog of American letters’ has no hesitation in affirming it when he arrives in The Spectator’s London offices to record a podcast. ‘Oh yes, I think that’s been proven,’ he says matter-of-factly. Has he always thought that? ‘When I finished the LA Quartet. I knew there was nobody like me and there wasn’t.’

Ellroy’s new book, This Storm, is the second novel in a projected set of prequels to his LA Quartet (The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, LA Confidential and White Jazz) set between LA and the Baja peninsula in Mexico in the aftermath of Pearl Harbor. America is going to war, Japanese citizens are being interned, and the characters pick their bloody way through a whole stew of fascists and communists, Japanese sub-marine incursions, stolen gold, fifth columnists and racketeers.

It’s classic Ellroy stuff: dark and dense as hell, told staccato in jazzy period slang peppered with old-time tabloid alliteration, casual racial invective and spiced with interludes of staggering brutality. He says he decided to do the prequels ‘to deepen the characters, differentiate the overall action and densify on an historical level’.

‘When this quartet is completed a couple of years from now, I will have written a total of 11 novels that cover LA, my hometown, America, my country, 31 years 1941 to 1972. No one has ever done anything like this and I’m proud of the work I’ve done.’

His novels are notoriously long and complex — he maps his plots out in minute detail in advance, and says of the ‘my characters tell me what to do’ school of writing: ‘That’s a crock of poo.’ This Storm is no exception. ‘I love big pieces of art. I love symphonic music, I love the Bruckner symphonies, the Mahler symphonies, the Shostakovich symphonies. I love history and my great theme is the secret infrastructure of large public events. When I was a kid going to junior high school and reading fiendishly, the books were never big enough, long enough… I think psychologically what I’m doing is trying to replicate my early reading experience by giving readers around the world what I didn’t get as a place.’

A lot of what Ellroy writes and the world he writes about is rooted in childhood experience. He’s adamant that 1972 is as far forward as he’s interested in going in terms of historical setting: ‘History is a blast. A blast.’ And he had quite a childhood. His mother, Geneva Hillroy Elliker — an avatar of whom appears in this book as Joan Conville — was raped and murdered when he was ten; it was a trauma that he processed through his obsession with another unsolved rape-killing, the so-called Black Dahlia case, his novelisation of which was his professional breakthrough.

‘I grew up in what I would call the freewheeling, egalitarian Los Angeles,’ he says. ‘My mother was a hard-drinking, good–looking, tall, red-headed, poo-kicking registered nurse and she would wet-nurse alcoholic film stars like ZaSu Pitts. My dad, who was much older than my mother, was a big handsome bullshitter who had a 20-inch-long wang. All his friends talked about it: this is not a kid’s whacked-out reminiscence of his dad, some trauma of seeing the beast unsheathed — all his friends talked about my old man’s wang.

‘I was a tortured, obviously brilliant but messed-up only child and I loved history and I loved to read. The old man taught me to read when I was three and a half and after my mother’s death, I was about 11, my dad said to me apropos of nothing: “Hey kid, I buggered Rita Hayworth.” “Dad, you lie like a rug, you did not bugger Rita Hayworth.” (We talked that way to each other, my dad and me.)

‘Then, lo and behold, ten years after my father’s death in ’65 I saw a Hayworth biography in a bookstore in LA and I looked the old man’s name up in the index and yeah, it didn’t say whether he — err-err — with her, but he was her business manager in the late ’40s right at the time of my birth. So there you go, it’s that kind of LA.’

That kind of LA. As in Ellroy’s previous books, This Storm jumbles in with its fiction real events and figures (some obscure, some less so) from the historical record. Orson Welles features prominently and far from flatteringly. ‘I never liked Orson Welles and I never liked his movies,’ Ellroy says. ‘I think Citizen Kane is a crock of poo. I don’t think it’s the great American movie and I always considered Welles a shitbird and a blowhard. I don’t like him, I don’t dig him, so I trashed him in the book. He’s dead, he’s not going sue me.’

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #636 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 9:22pm

As well as its labyrinthine surface structure, three interlinked murder investigations, multiple subplots and love triangles, the book is stitched together with thematic motifs, fire, gold, and rain prominent among them. The title is taken from a fictional W.H. Auden quote (‘this storm, this savaging disaster’; Ellroy came across the second half of the phrase in a letter to Isherwood and made up the first bit). ‘It’s the storm of world war two, it’s the storm of the Japanese internment, it’s the storm of fascism and communism, the twin totalitarian evils of the last century. It is the storm of sedition, of treason and of the internal private lives of the characters who are libidinised by world war two.’

You don’t go to Ellroy to read about lives of quiet stoicism, or lonely principle: you go to him to read about corrupt cops, treacherous sexpots and brutal murderers… And that’s just the goodies. When I suggest that the only character in This Storm who is truly pure of heart is Buzz Meeks’s pet scorpion, Ellroy laughs but he doesn’t contradict me.

Yet he says: ‘I love these characters. There’s the real-life vice cop Elmer Jackson [who pimps call-girls]. I find him sympathetic. I find Hideo Ishida, the tortured Japanese homosexual who is running from the Japanese internment… I find him entirely sympathetic. And Kay Lake is heroic; she is a heroic young woman. She is certainly reckless and eroticised but she is jazzy, she’s funny, she’s got a Carole Lombard kind of wit, she dresses well, she’s a gas.’

And Ellroy says his Lutheran faith informs his work. He’s a moralist.

‘My heroic people, they scrabble towards very, very tenuous redemption. It is a very Christian ideal, and in the end they are responsible for their sins, as I believe we all are. Even though these books are not noir, they take place during that era and there is a flip way of saying what the great theme of noir is: you’re buggered, malign fate will get you. You meet a woman, and before you    know it you’re in the sack and she says, “Oh baby, by the way, will you kill my husband?”  What are you going to do — she’ll turn off the woof-woof if you say no. You kill her husband and six months later you’re in the gas chamber at San Quentin.

‘That’s a flip way of looking at it but I prefer to think of the great theme of crime fiction as the consequences of sin — and that’s a very Christian idea.’

Also, almost all the characters are perpetually out of their minds on alcohol, benzedrine, cocaine, opium and something called terpin hydrate (Ellroy: ‘It is a bronchial clearer and it will get you zonked out of your mind. I used to get it from the old geezers in the alcoholic wards at the Veterans Hospital in west LA.’). Yet Ellroy himself has been 12-step sober since the late 1970s (‘with the odd bump’); his memoir My Dark Places covers his years of addiction, and they were not pretty. Is all this fictional intoxication what they call in AA ‘euphoric recall’? ‘You hit it right on the head,’ he says.

But he stresses, too, that his characters are young and that was what LA was like then. ‘Cops, it’s an alcoholic culture. The west coast [was] under constant threat of Japanese sea and air attack. People were scared, people were having lots of sex, they were staying indoors, they were going to nightclubs, they were thinking tomorrow might not come. You want to look at a bunch of good-looking, chain-smoking boozehounds, look at party shots of home-front America during world war two.’

That kind of LA. A world compounded of crime fiction and nostalgia and an interest in the mesh of occult forces, the sex and greed and treachery, underpinning historical events. ‘It’s a secret world, and in the wake of my mother’s 1948 murder I started seeing a secret world out there. It was an unconscious viewing of — more than anything else — sex. You’re a little ten, 11-, 12-year-old kid, coming of age on the cusp of Jack Kennedy and beatniks and good-looking longhaired women in tight turtlenecks snapping their fingers at beatnik jazz clubs, and foreign movies by directors such as Bergman and Fellini showing the sexually disenfranchised, people subsumed by ennui and nihilistic bonhomie… and I was just on it like a pig on poo with my little-kid antennae.

‘I mean, I was peeping windows and looking at girls when I was 11 and 12, and I’m a classic case of the passive creepy-crawly kid sneak thief, a danger to no one but himself. Horny, love-starved, a bookworm at heart. That’s what Helen [his girlfriend] says I am now: “Ellroy, you’re a bookworm and all you want to do is stick your snout in detective novels.” And she’s right.’

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #637 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 9:00pm

Wow Frank.  You've made a fan of me with those excerpts

I can relate

---

Not currently reading as I only picked it up today: 'Merchants of Menace' - The True Story of the Nugan Hand Bank Scandal

Back cover blurb

' Guns, Drug Money and the CIA -- These were not your average bankers.  This was not your average bank

In 1980, following the mysterious death of Australian merchant banker, Frank Nugan, his New York-born business partner, Michael Hand, brazenly ordered the destruction of the bank's records.  Hand then disappeared from Sydney and hasn't been seen since

Among the ruins of the Nugan Hand global financial empire, investigators uncovered astonishing evidence of gunrunning, money laundering for drug traffickers and connections to the CIA.

When the FBI and a Royal Commission failed to join the dots, those intimately involved with the case suspected a cover up.

Brimming with chilling new evidence and powerful testimonies, Merchants of Menace cracks open the sensational Nugan Hand story and goes on the hunt for the world's most elusive corporate fugitive ….

If I get around to reading it and if it's any good, I'll report back

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #638 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 2:21pm

Frank wrote on Dec 5th, 2019 at 9:21pm:
Render unto Rome
Unabridged Audiobook

Does Goeorge Pell get a mention?

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #639 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 10:44pm

Finishing up my reading of "The Silence of the Lambs" by Thomas Harris. Much better than the movie.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #640 - Mar 9th, 2020 at 12:11am

JRR Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings".

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #641 - Mar 9th, 2020 at 7:52am

FIRE the story of the Westralia by kathryn Spurling

IP Logged

The Heartless Felon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #642 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 7:42am

Years and years and years ago there were a whole bunch of novels set in a post-atomic deluge world.  One that I read in the early sixties was "A Canticle for Leibowitz" by Walter Miller.
It was such an entertaining and quirky book (and very well written) that I've never forgotten it.
So, when I came across a copy of it in the library, I grabbed it; and I'm glad I did. I am enjoying it probably more now than when I originally read it.
Don't be put off by the title, it's a funny, engaging and incisive examination of the human spirit.
If you see it, get it...

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #643 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 7:03pm

First Casualty by Phillip Knightley. Should be required high school reading.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #644 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 7:18pm

The microwave instructions on my dinner.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 56
Send Topic Print