Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 56
Send Topic Print
What are you currently reading? (Read 202508 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: What are you currently reading?
Reply #540 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 2:35am

J.M. Roberts "History of the World". I have told people about this book. 1100 pages of explicit information. Will take me a couple months to finish reading.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #541 - Aug 5th, 2017 at 12:01pm

IBI

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #542 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 11:29pm

Did you read Bowden's account on Black Hawk Down?

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #543 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 8:11am

I'm going to start a reread of the Don Camillo.books.
The Little World of Don Camillo etc.
Very amusing as I remember.

PS this must have been a popular read, the copy I have shows there were 17 editions between 1951 & 1953.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2017 at 7:40am by bogarde73 »  

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #544 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 2:22am

George R.R. Martin's "Game of Thrones". On to book 1 and going well. Want to have them all read by the end of the year.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2017 at 10:04pm by UnSubRocky »  

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #545 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 1:11pm

I don't mean to be pedantic but wouldn't you have to be reading at least book 2 before you say "onto"?

Shut up Bogarde.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #546 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 10:03pm

Well, considering that I was reading a world history book a week ago, before I gave up again, it is reasonable to say "on to book 1". Such as, I have been reading more often than not, and it is a fair call to say a continuance of another reading. Thank you for pointing out the typo.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #547 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 12:48pm

bogarde73 wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 8:11am:
I'm going to start a reread of the Don Camillo.books.
The Little World of Don Camillo etc.
Very amusing as I remember.

PS this must have been a popular read, the copy I have shows there were 17 editions between 1951 & 1953.

I've been having a ball with these. What we're looking at here is immediate post-war Italy and a history of partisans fighting the Germans, who were a coalition of Stalinist communists and Catholic traditionalists. As they settle down to live together in peacetime there are frictions which emerge and the author has captured the gentle humour in it all, encapsulated in the constant battle between the Catholic priest Don Camillo and the Communist mayor of the village Pepponi.
Vintage stuff from the diminished shelves of Bogarde.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #548 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 3:13pm

M Train by Patti Smith.

Many people will know Patti Smith from her days as a musician and song writer, and recently for her rendition of Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall given for the Nobel Prize crowd.

I was surprised to find this is the eleventh book from Patti. It is autobiographical, and starts out in a dream in which she is told it is hard to write about nothing. That put me off, as I have heard it elsewhere, but if one likes poetical prose, M Train is excellent. It might just be me, but it took 50 pages for me to feel that she was hitting her stride. It is very engaging and revealing, and thought provoking in places.
Not all of her writing heroes are mine. For example, I pretty sure William Boroughs was a pedophile. Nonetheless, M Train has a "beat" validity, and I will certainly look for more of Patti Smith's work.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #549 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 8:51am

anyone buying Kevin 007s new book???

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #550 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 2:53pm

I'm still dipping into Charles Hoy Fort

It's all there, everything

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #551 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 8:03pm

My local share library.  Smiley

IBI

IP Logged

Cofgod
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Bolton, Great Britain
Reply #552 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 12:25am

'The Hollow Crown is exhilarating, epic, blood-and-roses history . . . Jones's material is thrilling . . . There is fine scholarly intuition on display here and a mastery of the grand narrative; it is a supremely skilful piece of storytelling.' Sunday Telegraph

The fifteenth century saw the crown of England change hands seven times as the great families of England fought to the death for power, majesty and the right to rule. The Hollow Crown completes Dan Jones' epic history of medieval England, and describes how the Plantagenets tore themselves apart to be finally replaced by the Tudors.

Some of the greatest heroes and villains in British history were thrown together in these turbulent times: Henry V, whose victory at Agincourt and prudent rule at home marked the high point of the medieval monarchy; Edward IV, who was handed his crown by the scheming soldier Warwick the Kingmaker, before their alliance collapsed into a fight to the death; and the last Plantagenet, Richard III, who stole the throne and murdered his own nephews, the Princes in the Tower. Finally, the Tudors arrived - but even their rule was only made certain in the 1520s, when Henry VIII ruthlessly hunted down his family's last remaining enemies.

Historian and author Dan Jones

In the midst this tumult, chivalry was reborn, the printing press arrived and the Renaissance began to flourish. With vivid descriptions of the 1461 Battle of Towton, where 28,000 men (1% of England's entire population) died in a single morning, and the Battle of Bosworth Field, at which Richard III was hacked down, this is the real story behind Shakespeare's famous history plays.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #553 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 6:51am

A great TV series too with Benedict Cumberbatch as Richard II.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #554 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 8:17pm

I'm reading "The  Farm" by Tom Rob Smith, who also wrote Child 44. It's very good - quite unlike anything Ive read before. It's a thriller and a perfect summer read.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 56
Send Topic Print