Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 56
Send Topic Print
What are you currently reading? (Read 203533 times)
Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Re: What are you currently reading?
Reply #495 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 10:59pm

issuevoter wrote on Jan 7th, 2017 at 3:37pm:
Emma wrote on Jan 7th, 2017 at 4:31am:
Just finished an older Stephen King novel. 
Joyland.

It isn't a long book, unlike many of his works, but nevertheless, it hits all the spots.  I picked it up, and read the first couple of chapters, then put it down.  I read ALL my other library books, some of which were quite good , before picking it up again.

It proved to be more interesting than I had expected, even though I know King delivers a punch in everything he writes.
Now I need to get some more books from the local library.

I can , sort of, understand why people want to read true histories of the human condition, like UnSubRocky's expression of his preferences for example.  My reading doesn't have that focus,  as I prefer fiction.  I don't watch movies much either. I much prefer written fantasy.... and all fiction basically falls into that category.. no??

The best selling genre in fiction today, is "Fantasy." And by that, the publishing business is quite specific. It appeals to teenagers and young adults, who do not just buy any old fiction. The difference between Fantasy and Fictional literature is that Fantasy does not restrict itself to the laws of physics, human nature, or the catalog of the natural kingdom. So, I have to say, "No." All fiction is not fantasy. Most fiction of a lasting quality examines the real human condition.

Well yes I'd also agree with that.. certainly some authors are most rigorous in respect of authenticity, but by no means all. Most license taken by authors  does tend to be around human geography. For example making up a town where none actually exists, while the rest of the novel is as historically correct as possible. Some authors create geographical features like lakes or a mountain. Then we have authors who create different ideas based on real circumstances.
What is mostly called Fantasy today, used to be known as 'Sword and Sorcery'.. Smiley  but not so today. 
I'd still contend though that fictional works all contain elements of fantasy..obviously else it wouldn't be termed fiction. I think it is merely a matter of degree.

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #496 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 11:17pm

Having recently posted that I only rread fiction, I now find myself having just completed a Autobiography.. The first I have read in decades, really. Shocked Huh
I found that I had read all my library books, and my wee local library isn't open every day , so I was
pretty well forced to read a book I had been given as a gift some years ago.

I found it so excellent I basically opened it ... and read it in one evening.

'A Fence Around the Cuckoo', by Ruth Park. 
Having come from the same part of the world I found it particularly effecting and poignant. I was amazed to see names I hadn't heard since I was a child.  An excruciating, for me, description of the society and country where I was born, with a fearless chronicle of the Great Depression in particular, in New Zealand. My mother lived through the period covered by this book, in not totally dissimilar circumstances, tho not so dire.
Yet I'd known about none of it.
Eye-opening and with wonderful writing, it remained basically optimistic for the future and contains some marvellous true characters and observations about our world generally.
Well worth reading.
I'll have to read Volume Two, which I do not currently own.
It ends when she moves to Australia and marries
D'arcy Niland.. whose name may be familiar to some.  Also contains some excellent photographs.
5 Stars.

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #497 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 11:22pm

Frank wrote on Jan 9th, 2017 at 10:56pm:

Yep that's it. Thanks Frank. Smiley.
For Stephen King 2013 is still pretty old. Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #498 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 2:52pm

Being interested in biographies probably more than fiction, I'm currently reading Portrait of a Marriage, the marriage being Harold Nicholson & Vita Sackville-West in the early 20th century.

Vita's family were involved in two of the most notorious family court cases of the time, both over wills and huge fortunes & property.
One of them arose over the de facto marriage of Vita's grandfather to a Spanish dancer, which produced 5 illegitimate children, one of them being Vita's mother.

When that Lord Sackville was appointed ambassador to Washington, not having a wife, he wanted to make Vita's 19 year old mother his official hostess. Queen Victoria was not amused but gave her approval provided the Americans didn't disapprove of an illegitimate daughter in the position.
The prominent ladies of Washington formed a committee to advise the President and gave their approval.
However that President was assassinated before Vita's mother even arrived. His successor, President Arthur (of whom I'd never heard), became enamoured of Vita's mother and pursued her relentlessly, despite being old enough to be her grandfather.
It's amazing what little snippets of history pop up in things you read.

Vita Sackville-West was a writer, a leading member of the Bloomsbury bohemian set and later a noted garden creator.
She was also involved in several lesbian affairs, one of which was with the daughter of Edward VII's long time mistress Alice Keppel and another with the writer Virginia Woolf.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #499 - Jan 14th, 2017 at 2:49am

I have finished the Jack Reacher novel "The Visitor". Found the book quite predictable. You get told the modus operandi and a viable suspect within the first chapter or two of the book. Then you are lulled into thinking that the suspect is someone else, simply because the likely suspect disappears after the first third of the book.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #500 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 9:02am

I am starting on Longbourn, a novel about the reality of life for the servants of the Bennet family of Pride & Prejudice.
It will take me ages, I'm a slow reader these days.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #501 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:52pm

Just finished 'Chaos' .. a Dr Kay Scarpetta novel, by Patricia Cornwall.

Was good.  A little long-winded in places, but nicely compresses some recent  Scarpetta books into a tidy place from which to move forward.
Over all a satisfying read.

live every day

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #502 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 10:19am

Tell me what kind of stories they are Emma.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #503 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 10:16pm

YOU could always google Dr Kay Scarpetta.......
Smiley
Patricia Cornwall is a world famous author of the genre..  Forensic science. Crime and suspense from the viewpoint of a dedicated scientist, who also happens to be a human being.
Her descriptions of the ínvestigations, in this case post-mortem autopsy , are clear, succinct and entirely believable  and eminently readable. Smiley

She has an admirable way of describing locales and in the book mentioned I tended to largely skim those, until we get back to the action. Almost all the action concerns human interaction, BUT when the physical action happens, it is happens FAST.

live every day

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #504 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 7:06am

I could Google but a) I'm lazy and b) it's more interesting if we talk about what we've read I think

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #505 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 11:45pm

Quite so . 

Have just started reading the second novel by the author of "The Horse Whisperer" .Nicholas Evans.

Haven't read the first novel, surprisingly enough. Must do so because this book, after about 5 reasonable sized chapters, is promising to be a good read. Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #506 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 12:08am

Oh , and I forgot to add that it is called "The Loop" and it's about WOLVES.
Have always loved wolf tales, ever since reading Jack London as a child.

There was another author back then I read ravenously, among many authors, but this fella wrote about Deer, and Elk .. He had a name  like um.. Chesterfield... something like that I and I seem to remember he was a Scot.
????

live every day

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #507 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 11:44am

Reading about the lead up to and the siege of Tobruk. Interesting.

Firstly: Menzies was a useless clown! No wonder the two Independents changed their support from the UAP to the ALP and Australia got its best PM bar none. Menzies could not get a single plane, ship or tank from Churchill for the defence of Australia. Compare this to irascible Billy Hughes who demanded against Woodrow Wilson and the assembled diplomats that Australia get New Guinnea. We, of course, were given NG.

Peter is pretty much against the adventure in Greece that denuded North Africa of men, planes and transport. But it could well be that the Germans invading Greece delayed the invasion of Russia meaning that got bogged down in winter short of where they could have been had they invaded as soon as conditions were favorable. It meant a pretty close run in Egypt etc!

General Morshead was called “Ming the Merciless” by his men—a sign of praise for their general. Ming the Merciless was a comic strip from that time. Ginger Meggs even gets a mention in the book.

Sorry, this review a bit disjointed and I think I spelled the author’s name wrong: my copper internet is down so typing this in the local council library. Bloody Libs and useless copper internet, traitors! At least in Tassie I will be on FTTH, more reliable (assuming the cable under Bass Strait doesn’t break down again!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #508 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 8:46pm

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #509 - Apr 1st, 2017 at 3:29am

yes

and so anyway... i didn't finish the book.
Really well written... I was just not willing to go thru the emotional result of reading it all the way through.

I guess I am a coward in that respect.  I can watch wildlife footage of predators taking down prey, and not get emotionally involved, but I HATE reading about human atrocities against our fellow creatures.

live every day

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 56
Send Topic Print