Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 56
Send Topic Print
What are you currently reading? (Read 203682 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: What are you currently reading?
Reply #435 - Aug 20th, 2016 at 12:11pm

Oliver Sacks - An anthropologist on Mars.

One chapter is about a guy who was in the hare krishnas, he began losing his vision, put on weight, lost his hair and developed speech and memory issues but could remember all chanting.  The hare krishnas thought he was transending.

Turned out he had a tumor the size of a grapefruit which destroyed his frontal lobes.

IBI

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #436 - Aug 20th, 2016 at 1:04pm

Gordon wrote on Aug 20th, 2016 at 12:03pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Aug 20th, 2016 at 11:44am:
A couple of days ago I found a box of books left out on the nature-strip, took them home only to discover they were all 'women's' reading matter. Skipped across the road to dump them all on the divorcee ... but she didn't want them either.

I notice people on the trains now read from one of those computer-pad thingies.

Love my kindle. I have about 10k books downloaded and anything new I just buy from Amazon.

There are also 2 street libraries near me that actually get some good stuff if I feel like turning pages old school.

Kindle! Yes, that's it.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #437 - Aug 20th, 2016 at 6:11pm

I always have a book on the go, sometimes two. I am reading the life of Marco Polo via Kindle for PC. I actually prefer the printed page, especially a good weight of creamy paper and nice typeface where you can see the case impression. But if its available electronically, I don't mind that either.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #438 - Aug 20th, 2016 at 6:18pm

issuevoter wrote on Aug 20th, 2016 at 6:11pm:
I always have a book on the go, sometimes two. I am reading the life of Marco Polo via Kindle for PC. I actually prefer the printed page, especially a good weight of creamy paper and nice typeface where you can see the case impression. But if its available electronically, I don't mind that either.

Great.

Now confirm for me what I told John Smith here - it was Marco Polo who brought spaghetti and pasta back to Italy from his trips to China.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's been censored out for reasons of political correctness and not wanting to upset millions of Italians. Cool

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #439 - Aug 20th, 2016 at 9:50pm

I just started reading something different for me.AussieAmAndARC wrote on May 16th, 2016 at 12:36pm:
What book would you recommend?

Emma wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 1:28am:
recently I ran out of Library books, and turned to books given to me by a dear friend, who had in turn been given them by a friend. She didn't have the time or inclination to read them so...I have thirteen books by the same author, so I decided to read them chronologically, from the first one published.It was in Portuguese originally. The author isPaulo Coelho. a Brazilian. I didn't think I'd get into them, being an atheist. The first book was  The Pilgrimage. Not particularly easy to read, and yet, despite the Godspeak, I was drawn to the concepts.  Food for thought.So the next one I've read , so far, is The Alchemist.Impressive. It seems to me that in the Pilgrimage he was trying too hard to encompass what he had to say.The Alchemist, on the other hand, is much more readable, and resonates with its subject of a young Andalusian shepherd who has a dream, twice, which tells him to go the the Pyramids in Egypt, to gain a great treasure. And he does. He follows his dream.A simple tale with incredible insight. It has helped me to understand and incorporate into my thinking, the major religions, and what they signify. Since reading these two books I have , perhaps not coincidentally, encountered these same or similar concepts by chance in my daily life.And I realise that much of my own thoughts and knowledge are part of the great mystery of human life on earth.They have helped me to understand that religions are simply symbols. Religions make it easier for people to grasp the reality of the worlds we inhabit, and the spiritual life that we all have inside ourselves.No one could be more surprised than I.I am about to read the third book, The Valkyries,  and do wonder if this sense of connection and resonance continues.I would certainly recommend reading The PILGRIMAGE, as a trial,   and definitely to read The Alchemist.Whatever your persuasion. i

Just in case you haven't read them

live every day

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #440 - Aug 20th, 2016 at 10:10pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Aug 20th, 2016 at 6:18pm:

Great.

Now confirm for me what I told John Smith here - it was Marco Polo who brought spaghetti and pasta back to Italy from his trips to China.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's been censored out for reasons of political correctness and not wanting to upset millions of Italians. Cool

I have heard that story too, but so far there is no mention of it. However, Marco Polo was a teenager on his father's second journey to China, and a number of Europeans had been to China before them. I suspect the recipe for pasta came back with all or some of them. It seems before them, there was no pasta in Italy, and before Columbus, no tomatoes. Thank God they had grapes.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #441 - Aug 21st, 2016 at 9:32am

issuevoter wrote on Aug 20th, 2016 at 10:10pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Aug 20th, 2016 at 6:18pm:

Great.

I have heard that story too, but so far there is no mention of it. However, Marco Polo was a teenager on his father's second journey to China, and a number of Europeans had been to China before them. I suspect the recipe for pasta came back with all or some of them. It seems before them, there was no pasta in Italy, and before Columbus, no tomatoes. Thank God they had grapes.

No potatoes or corn until America was settled.

No macadamias until Terra Nullius Australia was settled.

Brazil nuts ... Lichees ...

Tomatoes from Central and South America.

Tea from China.

Coffee from South America.

Tulips from Turkey.

etc etc

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #442 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 11:58pm

Echo Burning by Lee Child

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #443 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 12:02am

UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 25th, 2016 at 11:58pm:
is this a Jack reacher novel?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #444 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 12:11am

rhino wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 12:02am:

It sure is. I'm about to find out how Reacher is going to kick arse against a hit squad. Personally, I find Reacher a bit of a dick, and I wish he got his arse kicked this time around.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #445 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 12:21am

UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 12:11am:
rhino wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 12:02am:

It sure is. I'm about to find out how Reacher is going to kick arse against a hit squad. Personally, I find Reacher a bit of a dick, and I wish he got his arse kicked this time around.

He'll probably just do a Reacher round. Sorry. I don't even know the books. I should ban me from books and I will. 48 hours.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #446 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 1:02am

Half way through "Tripwire" by Lee Child. Better book.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #447 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 1:41am

Coldbrook ..Tim Lebbon

live every day

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #448 - Sep 15th, 2016 at 2:07pm

Picasso: The Real Family Story, by his grandson Olivier Widmaier Picasso.

This biography appeared in 2004, and it holds a special place among all the books about the great artist as it tries to tell the story in the context of four generations. At first, I was wary of the perspective of privileged relation, and the introduction really put me off. It goes on for fourteen pages of grievances against other writers. However, I have to say when the author makes a statement, a correction, or contradiction, he backs it up with detailed citations.

I was also ready to be disappointed in the actual writing, as the author was trained as a lawyer. I am happy to report that this man really knows how to write.  His handling of language is that of one who understand the value of writing, no matter what the subject, and the author has a sound perspective of the human condition. Poignant at times, the book is not chronological, it is made up of parts under different headings, starting off with the “Women.” And being centred in the life and times of “Mr Modern Art,” there are many interesting characters described and quoted throughout. It is a quite comprehensive view of the family in its triumph and troubles. But most of all, it gets us close the creative genius of Picasso without worshiping or judging the man.

I must admit I scanned over the part detailing the complex inheritances, it is not important to the average reader. I suppose it had to be spelled out, and it is doubtful anyone else could have documented these details in a worthwhile way.

This is a great read for anyone interested in modern art.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #449 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 11:00am

H.E. Bates "The Fallow Land" (repeat read)

Simultaneously reading W S Maugham "Creatures of Circumstance", which is a collection of short stories probably included in the complete collection I read years ago. But this is an old hard cover edition, thick pages & quite a bit of foxing, so it's great to read.

Also listening to "Cousin Henry" by Trollope.

« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2016 at 2:53pm by bogarde73 »  

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 56
Send Topic Print