Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 56
Send Topic Print
What are you currently reading? (Read 202512 times)
Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Re: What are you currently reading?
Reply #345 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 3:21pm

I hope they serve beer in Hell by Tucker Max

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Inyss

Australian Politics

Reply #346 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 6:55pm

Sustainable Energy Solutions for Climate Change

By Mark Diesendorf 

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #347 - Aug 5th, 2015 at 9:40pm

The Restoration of Otto Laird by Nigel Packer. An excellent first novel. About an aging architect looking back on his life, having reached a point where it doesn't matter anymore.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #348 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 1:18pm

The Cyberiad, Stanislaw Lem.

Loving the cannonade of babies  Grin

The law locks up the man who steals the goose from the common, but leaves the greater criminal loose who steals the common from the goose (convict saying)

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #349 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 12:51pm

Hitler's Forgotten Children: my life inside the Lebensborn

Ingrid von Oelhafen

It's pretty good.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #350 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 3:02pm

Cofgod wrote on Jul 30th, 2015 at 3:04am:
This brand new book on Churchill, in the year which has seen the 50th anniversary of the great man's death....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51x57VrtvzL.jpg

From London’s inimitable mayor, Boris Johnson, the story of how Churchill’s eccentric genius shaped not only his world but our own.

On the fiftieth anniversary of Churchill’s death, Boris Johnson celebrates the singular brilliance of one of the most important leaders of the twentieth century. Taking on the myths and misconceptions along with the outsized reality, he portrays—with characteristic wit and passion—a man of contagious bravery, breathtaking eloquence, matchless strategising, and deep humanity.

Fearless on the battlefield, Churchill had to be ordered by the king to stay out of action on D-Day; he pioneered aerial bombing and few could match his experience in organising violence on a colossal scale, yet he hated war and scorned politicians who had not experienced its horrors. He was the most famous journalist of his time and perhaps the greatest orator of all time, despite a lisp and chronic depression he kept at bay by painting. His manoeuvering positioned America for entry into World War II, even as it ushered in Britain’s post-war decline. His open-mindedness made him a trailblazer in health care, education, and social welfare, though he remained incorrigibly politically incorrect. Most of all, he was a rebuttal to the idea that history is the story of vast and impersonal forces; he is proof that one person—intrepid, ingenious, determined—can make all the difference.

I will look for it....there was something really special about him.. he gave Londoners confidence he didnt run and hide so neither did they... oh I did I was evacuated..unfortunately..but it was what we littlies had no say in.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #351 - Aug 20th, 2015 at 6:55pm

Tim Winton's The Turning.  It's a collection of short stories that has a wonderful Australian feel. There's an authenticity that evokes nostalgic childhood memories. Ive discovered a liking for short stories lately and Winton fuels that with this book.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #352 - Aug 20th, 2015 at 7:33pm

Four Fires by Bryce Courtney.

A 750 page read in hardback, bought for $8 at a book sale - therein lies the choice of author.

The blurb reads: " The four fires are passion, religion, war and fire itself ".

Written in the first person, about 180 pages in, it's basically a story about different personalities, set in the mid 50's (?) in a small country town, full of the usual prejudices and vices.

Reminds me a lot of where I grew up in the early years.

Greatly enjoying it so far.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #353 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 5:18am

Annie Anthrax wrote on Aug 20th, 2015 at 6:55pm:
Tim Winton's The Turning.  It's a collection of short stories that has a wonderful Australian feel. There's an authenticity that evokes nostalgic childhood memories. Ive discovered a liking for short stories lately and Winton fuels that with this book.

Winton is probably my favourite Australian author, but even if he wasn't Australian writing about Australia, he would still be up there with the best contemporary novelists.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #354 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 5:29am

Just finished "The Hundred Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared," by Jonas Jonasson. The premise is interesting, but after the first few chapters, the story gets weaker as it gets more complex. The story is a farce, and I usually like a good farce. There are two stories running at the same time. One is the "escape," and the other is the old man's life story. This second story is too farcical, and provides no counter-point to the main story. It is almost as if it where a high-school writing exercise. On the other hand, the escape story is highly entertaining, but its quality of imagination deteriorates in the last chapters.

IP Logged

Inyss

Australian Politics

Reply #355 - Sep 3rd, 2015 at 2:47pm

Just finished reading 'Infidel' by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Just picked up my next book I ordered a couple of weeks ago. 'Small is Beautiful A Study of Economics as if People Mattered' by Dr E. F. Schumacher first printed in 1973.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #356 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 9:32pm

My dog stood on my kindle the other day but luckily my daughter had given me this thing full of paper for fathers day. It seems to contain a story called The girl in the spiders web. It is a continuation of Stieg Larsson's series written by David Lagercrantz. (The Girl with the dragon tattoo / Milenium series).

Not sure if this is from the disputed unfinished Stieg Larsson Book or a new spin off.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #357 - Sep 14th, 2015 at 8:08pm

Ive just finished two books by Australian author Ilsa Evans. One was a lighthearted and funny novel about a tree change and the other a harrowing and gutwrenching book about a woman living with domestic violence. It was called Broken and I highly recommend it.

I have now started Stalingrad by Antony Beevor. Its an excellent read thus far, particularly so for anyone interested in military history.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #358 - Sep 21st, 2015 at 2:26pm

Marie Antoinette by Antonia Fraser.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #359 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 9:56pm

On occasion, I disinter The Exquisite Corpse, and interesting literary website.

http://www.corpse.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 56
Send Topic Print