Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
the threats posed by Islam (Read 43918 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
the threats posed by Islam
May 18th, 2013 at 8:13pm

This post is largely a response to earlier discussions with Brian Ross. Rather than constantly explaining that I am not doing all the things he accuses me of (eg attempting to deny democracy and freedom of speech to Muslims), I would like to explain for his benefit, and for the benefit of other newcomers to the forum, why I criticise Islam. I thought this would be obvious from the wiki, but apparently not. The conflicts between Islam and western values are the crux of my criticism of Islam and the threat I think it poses. None of this is about classic terrorism or painting all Muslims as terrorists.

Firstly, some context. Most of the world does not share the freedoms we have. Growing up with these freedoms and never seeing them challenged directly leads many Australians to take them for granted, but they are far more fragile than they appear. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

I will focus on three of the more direct threats posed by Islam globally and locally. These largely revolve around freedom of speech, democracy and genocide.

Democracy

Let's start with democracy. Australia still has over 1000 troops deployed in Afghanistan. The Iraq war only concluded (nominally) in 2011. Although the conventional part of these wars lasted for about ten minutes, the occupation lasted for a decade. This is despite the fact that most westerners did not want their troops in either country. The locals did not want us there either. The only reason we had to stick around so long, and inflict such damage, is that people on both sides feared the collapse of the new democratic governments and an even worse situation arising. The reason for such an absurd situation - trying to hand back power to local residents and leave, but not being able to, is because Islam is fundamentally opposed to democracy. There are enough Muslims in these countries who oppose democracy in the most fundamental sense and are willing to kill fellow Muslims, to destroy any chance of democracy without significant military backing.

Throughout the rest of Islam's traditional heartland, the arab spring appears to be a progressive lurch forward, but again there are enough Muslims who reject democracy and freedom to create a significant risk that the current dictatorships will merely be replaced with the correct Islamic flavour of dictatorship.

Globally, millions of people are dying because so many Muslims reject the only mechanism of government that can accommodate the differences of opinions between Muslim sects and between Muslims and non-Muslims. In doing so, they are following the lead of Muhammed.

Freedom of speech

There is a global campaign by Muslims to end freedom of speech by criminalising blasphemy. This is the logical first step in establishing Shariah law, by preventing people from being able to peacefully oppose it, either from within areas dominated by Muslims or from outside.

The pointy end of this campaign are the hundreds of Muslims who marched through Sydney and Melbourne behind banners calling for the beheading of an American who posted a dodgy youtube video mocking Muhammed. It is the death of more than 200 people during protests against cartoons published in a Danish newspaper that mocked Muhammed. It is the attempts, often successful, to assassinate journalists, authors and various critics of Islam.

The thick end of the wedge is attempts by Muslims and Muslim countries to criminalise blasphemy and remove protections on freedom of speech within European countries, the EU parliament, and the UN. America appears to be safe from such attacks on our basic freedoms, but elsewhere the threat is genuine and it is unlikely that Australia would escape unscathed if Europe capitulates.

Freedom of speech is the first basic freedom that we will lose if we do not vigorously stand up to both of these methods of attack. All of our other rights and freedoms will also be lost if we lose this battle. This battle is genuine and it is global, and the outcome is not certain. The way to win of course is to protect our freedom of speech by exercising it at every opportunity. This means not self censoring in the face of threats of physical violence. It means not self censoring out of fear that we will inflame a delicate situation or hurt people's feelings. These are mere tools by the enemy in the battle to destroy your rights and freedoms. If a Muslim feels that they are wrongly associated with efforts to destroy freedom and democracy it is their fault for not doing enough to protect freedom and democracy from fellow Muslims. It is their fault for not being able to make up their own mind whether they support freedom of speech and the right of people to mock Muhammed. It is their fault for not speaking out in defense of freedom of speech against the vulgar displays of hatred by other Muslims. It is their fault for feeling compelled to support efforts to criminalise blasphemy. It is not our fault for failing to walk on eggshells while attempting to protect our freedom of speech by exercising it.

Finally, it means not allowing our freedoms, or the freedoms of other western nations, to be lost in the same process. It means actively encouraging and protecting vulnerable freedoms in other parts of the world that are less fortunate than us to be able to take freedom of speech for granted. It means participating in cultural imperialism. It means recognising that universal human rights are universal, then making them universal.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: the threats posed by Islam
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2013 at 8:16pm

Genocide

A third threat posed by Islam is the threat of genocide. Muhammed himself engaged in collective punishment, forced mass migrations, and slaughtered entire communities. Jews appear to have borne the brunt of his efforts. Nazi style anti-semitism is rife within the Muslim community, and the more absurd anti-jewish propaganda from old Russia and Germany (eg the protocols of the elders of zion) still do the rounds, even on this forum.

When Jews fled Europe after WWII bound for Israel, Muslims from nearby countries apparently saw Israel as similar to Hitler's ghettos. No-one battered an eyelid when Jews fleeing the area quickly outnumbered Jews fleeing Europe, and Muslims sought to follow through in a similar manner. The outcome (a Jewish state) was obviously not what these Muslims wanted, and attempts to wipe out Israel quickly escalated. The folly of attacks on Israel demonstrate the mindless zealotry with which Muslims in the area will attempt to punish Israel's Jews the same way the Muhammed punished Jewish tribes that did not do what they were told. Ironically, a common call from these Muslims (and from Australian Muslims on this forum) is to send the Jews back home. These Muslims obviously mean back to Europe or some other western country, not to the Muslim countries where many came from. Another common call from Muslims is that a glorious victory over Israel is inevitable and just around the corner, and that this justifies continued mindless attacks by Palestinians in order to keep the armed conflict going. Inevitable victory on the battlefield is part of Islamic ideology, and was the reality for most of Islam's history.

If the state of Israel fails in an uncontrolled manner, the outcome will be dire. It will not be the cold, surgical extermination of Nazi Germany, but it will be equally gruesome and horrific.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2013 at 8:50pm

So, FD, lets get this right?

So, if some Muslims do these things, it makes it OK for you to do these things to other Muslims who are completely unconnected to the first group of Muslims?

You really haven't thought this out, have you?   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - May 18th, 2013 at 9:03pm

Quote:
it makes it OK for you to do these things to other Muslims

You have missed the point completely Brian. What are these things you accuse me of doing? Slaughtering Jews? Slaughtering Muslims? Assassinating journalists, authors, cartoonists, filmmakers etc? Trying to criminalise criticism of myself? Trying to destroy democracy?

IP Logged

Chimp_Logic
Gold Member

πολιτικός

Mawson Base
Reply #4 - May 18th, 2013 at 9:19pm

~93% of all major wars that have occurred in the past 5 centuries have been instigated by "so called" Christian nations

~91% of unprovoked invasions/attacks of sovereign nations have been carried out by "so called" Christian nations.

And you're worried about Islam?

Mini Ice Age (2014-2029)
Dr Sircus cures cancer with Baking Soda and Magnesium - Jethro the MENTAL GIANT & his flute madness

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - May 18th, 2013 at 9:32pm

87.5% of all statistics are made up

The west seems to have learned from these mistakes. The Muslim world appears doomed to repeat them.

IP Logged

Adamant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Reply #6 - May 18th, 2013 at 9:47pm

Chimp_Logic wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 9:19pm:
~93% of all major wars that have occurred in the past 5 centuries have been instigated by "so called" Christian nations

~91% of unprovoked invasions/attacks of sovereign nations have been carried out by "so called" Christian nations.

That's a big call, have any references we can follow

In real life Gandalf is known as Mr 10%

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2013 at 10:06pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 8:50pm:
So, FD, lets get this right?

So, if some Muslims do these things, it makes it OK for you to do these things to other Muslims who are completely unconnected to the first group of Muslims?

You really haven't thought this out, have you?   Roll Eyes

So the vast majority of Muslims have nuffin to do wiv Islam?
Good one!!  Your own idea?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #8 - May 18th, 2013 at 10:22pm

Goodness me - around 200 idiots shout a few slogans in downtown Sydney, which is immediately and widely condemned by muslims nation wide - and suddenly our way of life is under siege.

The only Australians who are under threat by this hysteria, are muslims themselves. 2% of the population are not likely to overthrow our democracy - but it is very likely this minority will be further victimised and discriminated against by the majority. Especially when we see hysterics like FDs rant here stoking the flames.

Also your kindergarten-level portrayal of the Israel-Palestine conflict is laughable - even by rabid islamophobic pro-Israeli drone standards.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2013 at 10:29pm

polite_gandalf wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 10:22pm:
Goodness me - around 200 idiots shout a few slogans in downtown Sydney, which is immediately and widely condemned by muslims nation wide - and suddenly our way of life is under siege.

Not just in Sydney - around the world.
Salman Rushdie. Lived that down, habibis. And your current push to outlaw criticism of Islam.

If I wasn't a gentleman I'd say bugger off all you parasitic, opportunistic, pushy ingrates.
But I won't say that.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #10 - May 18th, 2013 at 10:45pm

freediver wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 8:13pm:
The pointy end of this campaign are the hundreds of Muslims who marched through Sydney and Melbourne behind banners calling for the beheading of an American who posted a dodgy youtube video mocking Muhammed.

"Earth to FD, Earth to FD..."

There were *NO* youtube video protests in Melbourne. Those pesky duplicitous muslim leaders took measures to make sure it didn't happen.

This is the second time I've pulled you up on this.

Soren wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 10:29pm:
And your current push to outlaw criticism of Islam.

Its not my push.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2013 at 11:01pm

Soren wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 10:29pm:
And your current push to outlaw criticism of Islam.

Its not my push. [/quote]

You are a Muslim - it's your push. What are you doing to prevent Muslims from outlawing criticism of Islam?

Nothing.

SO you are a run of the mill cowardly and deceitful Muslim who pops up saying that things are not done by him - but does bvgger all else.

And when the outlawing of criticism of Islam is in place, you will go along with it  because you are sh!tting yourself about what the bearded monsters would do to you if you spoke up.

The world is onto you, pal. You are full of righteous indingnation in this direction but are an arse-cowering cowards towards the bearded fvckers because you are scared of them.

You argue with the likes of me because you know that you are safe.

You will not argue and stand up to the "behead this and that" crowd because you know that they will rip you limb from limb if you did.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #12 - May 18th, 2013 at 11:09pm

freediver wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 9:03pm:
Quote:
it makes it OK for you to do these things to other Muslims

You have missed the point completely Brian. What are these things you accuse me of doing? Slaughtering Jews? Slaughtering Muslims? Assassinating journalists, authors, cartoonists, filmmakers etc? Trying to criminalise criticism of myself? Trying to destroy democracy?

Tell me, if a Christian "slaughters Jews, Christians," does that mean all Christians should be held responsible for their actions?  What about if they, "Assassinating journalists, authors, cartoonists, filmmakers etc?"  What about if they are, "trying to criminalise criticism of myself? Trying to destroy democracy?"

Christians have done all those things.  They do all these things.

Does that mean that all Christians should be held responsible for them?  That Christianity itself, which was used to justify them, more often than not, should be considered the enemy?

I'm interested to know, FD.  'cause I'm trying to prise the lid off that brain of yours and look inside.  At the moment, all I see is a black, seething mass of bigotry and hatred based upon real prejudice.

'cause if you only think Muslims should be treated this way or that their religion is to blame for all the evil things that some Muslims have done, then I'd suggest you really are a bigot.

When are you going to realise that there are good and bad people in every religious group?  Mmm?    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Chimp_Logic
Gold Member

πολιτικός

Mawson Base
Reply #13 - May 18th, 2013 at 11:18pm

Adamant wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 9:47pm:
Chimp_Logic wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 9:19pm:

That's a big call, have any references we can follow

.....no I don't actually - the figures quoted, although they sound authoritative are totally fabricated and randomly generated

Having said that I think the percentages are about right

You can easily check these by conducting your own research into the major wars that have occurred over the past 500 years and examine the religious content of the nation that instigated the war

Alternatively, you can pluck numbers out of thin just as I have done.

Mini Ice Age (2014-2029)
Dr Sircus cures cancer with Baking Soda and Magnesium - Jethro the MENTAL GIANT & his flute madness

IP Logged

Chimp_Logic
Gold Member

πολιτικός

Mawson Base
Reply #14 - May 18th, 2013 at 11:21pm

freediver wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 9:32pm:
87.5% of all statistics are made up

The west seems to have learned from these mistakes. The Muslim world appears doomed to repeat them.

List the wars that you classify as "muslim" in orgin

Start with last century

(even Hitler was a Christian)

Mini Ice Age (2014-2029)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print