Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Coalition Wants Savage Spending Cuts. (Read 6215 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

The Coalition Wants Savage Spending Cuts.
Apr 23rd, 2013 at 7:09am

Labor wants Budget deficit spending to save jobs, Coalition wants savage spending cuts

MALCOLM FARR NATIONAL POLITICAL EDITOR
    news.com.au
    April 22, 2013

LABOR is today campaigning for the preservation of its $4 billion superannuation tax cut for low income earners as stark differences with the Coalition emerge over how to manage spending.     Huh

The Government is warning that abolition of the retirement savings assistance would hurt shop workers, check-out chicks and unskilled kitchen staff the most.

The Government and the Opposition agree that money will be tight for the May 14 Budget, but Labor wants deficit spending to save jobs and the Coalition wants savage spending cuts and removal of big programs such as carbon pricing.     Sad

The debate centres on what Treasurer Wayne Swan yesterday called a $7.5 billion sledgehammer blow to federal finances caused by the high Australian dollar and a fall in exports.

One of the casualties of a Coalition government would be the 15 per cent tax break for the superannuation accounts of workers on $37,000 a year and less.     Shocked

Superannuation Minister Bill Shorten today released new research showing 218,850 retail workers would suffer if the Government's 15 per cent tax break for those earning $37,000 a year or less was abolished.    

They would be followed by 145,999 checkout operators and 93,495 kitchen hands. These were the top three occupations, in numbers of workers, benefitting from the tax relief.     Sad

The tax cut affecting a total of 3.6 million workers saving for retirement began last July but Opposition Leader Tony Abbott yesterday confirmed a Coalition government would abolish it because it was to be funded by the mining tax, which would be repealed.

"So sure, the current government is making great play of what it says is our attack on low income earners' superannuation," Mr Abbott told Sky News yesterday.

"But we said from the beginning – we were upfront and honest before an election about this – if it can't be funded, it can't be paid..."

He accused the Government of "mortgaging the future to try to buy votes": "There are lots of promises that the current government will make going into the election that the Coalition simply won't match."

Superannuation Minister Shorten said: "I'd rather see a $500 boost to the super account of a kitchen hand or a checkout operator or a farm hand than into Tony Abbott's pocket."     Wink   

He said: "I'm talking about mums working part-time while they care for young kids being hit with a $500 tax bill for contributing to her superannuation. That's not fair or smart.

"Women are already retiring with less because of the disparity in their pay compared to men, as well as the time they take out of the workforce to raise their children.

"Let's not make that situation worse, let's try to address it."

Other workers most affected by the superannuation tax cut include 89,722 in the hospitality industry, 83,167 cleaners and laundry staff, 57,696 receptionists, and 46,703 general clerks.     Huh

Mr Abbott said the Coalition would not be making big spending promises and said Australia was experiencing "a time of great fiscal stringency".

And he was backed up by Treasurer Wayne Swan who told ABC TV that the combination of the Australian dollar's high exchange rate and the fall in revenue from exports had reduced Government revenue.

"And as a consequence of that, that's caused a hit, if you like, a sledgehammer to revenues in the budget since the mid-year update of something like $7.5 billion," said Mr Swan.

"And of course the impact won't just be in this financial year, it will also be across the (four year) forward estimates.

"This is one of the reasons why I made the point at the end of last year that we were unlikely to return to surplus in 2012-13 because of this hit, if you like, to revenue from the high dollar and, of course, the lower terms of trade."

The Treasurer said there would not be "savage cuts across the Budget" to make up for the lost revenue because that would cost jobs.     Smiley

"So our approach is very clear - in this budget we will support jobs and growth, we'll make the smart investments for the future and we'll do that within the context of a responsible medium-term fiscal policy," he said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/money/superannuation/labor-wants-budget-deficit-spending-to-save-jobs-coalition-wants-savage-spending-cuts/story-e6frfmdi-1226625493892#ixzz2RECVHtEz

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: The Coalition Wants Savage Spending Cuts.
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 7:13am

One of the casualties of a Coalition government would be the 15 per cent tax break for the superannuation accounts of workers on $37,000 a year and less.     Shocked       

Superannuation Minister Bill Shorten today released new research showing 218,850 retail workers would suffer if the Government's 15 per cent tax break for those earning $37,000 a year or less was abolished.          

IP Logged

RightSadFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 7:18am

imcrookonit

Sorry politically I can not agree at all, the ALP started a phoney class war on superannuation and yet again they turned a potential area of strength into a weakness. 100% disagree with this new attack on the coalition at the other end of the class structure, it just won't work.

IP Logged

Swagman
Gold Member

Beware of cheap imitations......

Illawarra NSW
Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 8:45am

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2013/s3742058.htm
Quote:
In a new report out today, the independent think tank the Grattan Institute says all governments, state and federal, are at risk of posting huge deficits for the next decade. It says combined state and federal budgets are at risk of ballooning out to a combined deficit of at least $60 billion a year by 2023.

The Institute's CEO John Daley is speaking here to chief political correspondent Sabra Lane.

We think we're looking at a collective deficit for Australian governments of about four per cent of GDP over the next decade. In today's terms, that's about $60 billion. And what's driving that is a number of things: firstly there's a number of free kicks that we have to give back. So we've had budgets that have been made to look very good as a result of the mining boom - they've got revenue supposed to come in from the Minerals Resource Rent Tax and the carbon price and also some forecasting of company taxes. And all of those things are not going to happen and so we've going to have to give those things back and consequently budget surpluses - or more to the point deficits are going to be much worse than we thought.

And then the other big driver is around health costs. If health costs keep going up at the same rate in the next decade as they have over the last decade, they'll take an extra two per cent of GDP in government spending. So those are the kind of pressures that we're looking at. You add them up and you get to about four per cent of GDP, and that is clearly not a sustainable situation.

Why don't you Leftards grow a brain?

"The times they are a changing".  The nation can no longer afford the big freebies and pork barrelling of both sides of the political spectrum.

If the majority that pays the minority of tax keeps voting itself money from the public trough this place is heading for Keating's banana republic.

The 'pain' is only compounded each year that the Treasury spends beyond its means and idiot Labor have not been able to bring down a budget within the Nation's means in over 20 years. Angry

Run the economy?  They'd lose money running a chook raffle. Cheesy

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 9:26am

It would be nice to help everyone. Unfortunately, it has to be paid by someone and since e are in growing debt and deficit then it has to go along with other programs. Im all for cutting welfare across the board just not exempting any one particular group.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 9:55am

all economists are saying the same thing... STOP THE SPENDING...

at the moment we have a HUGE immigration problem we have uninvited guests arriving alm ost daily..these people have to be sheltered fed clothed. given medical aid. have people to look after them????..24/7.. on top of that we have to pay people to investigate them.

.at what cost to us we will never ever find out.. but its a cost that isnt going to go away overnight.   

money will never be dragged back from these people.. like we can do with our Uni students...

no this cost is blowing in the wind.and it is growing by the day. its a growing  cost we seem to have no control over.

no matter what is budgeted for this problem it will never be enough.

and the money has to come from somewhere....

btw the Libs didnt create this MONSTER

IP Logged

woody2014
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NTH EAST VIC
Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 9:56am

Quote:

South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill has conceded the Government needs to be more cautious about spruiking mining opportunities in the state.

Rare earths company Arafura Resources is to scrap a minerals processing plant planned for Whyalla and keep more of its operations close to the mine site north of Alice Springs.

Mr Weatherill said he agreed with the Opposition the Government had a track record of overselling mining projects but under-delivering.

"I think this was a bit over-spruiked. It was always a speculative project but at the time it was always one that was a realistic project," he said.

"We did no more or less than back up what the company was saying about what they proposed to do, but I think we should be a little more cautious about that and obviously cases like this indicate that."

Dave Sweeney from the Australian Conservation Foundation said the loss of hundreds of potential jobs was a disappointment for Whyalla, but the decision against shipping material south for processing was a win for the environment.

"There are real concerns with this sort of processing and rare earth processing - you're dealing with radioactive materials including uranium," he said.

"You would have radioactive exposures and elevated radiation levels in the area, you'd be left with a waste stream that would include a range of radioactive materials that pose a long-term human and environmental problem."

Topics: states-and-territories, mining-rural, mining-industry, government-and-politics, whyalla-5600, adelaide-5000, sa, australia

First posted 11 minutes ago

More  stories from South Australia

THE DUMB LEFTIES ON THIS BOARD  DONT KNOW IF THERE WINDING THEIR ARSE OR SCRATCHING THEIR WATCH

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 10:10am

cods wrote on Apr 23rd, 2013 at 9:55am:

link please  .....

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 10:15am

John Smith wrote on Apr 23rd, 2013 at 10:10am:

link please  .....

the usual response from someone who never reads the news anywhere but on here.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Swagman
Gold Member

Beware of cheap imitations......

Illawarra NSW
Reply #9 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 10:32am

link please  .....

Google Gratton Institute

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 10:35am

Swagman wrote on Apr 23rd, 2013 at 10:32am:

link please  .....

Google Gratton Institute

cue the predictable complaint that it is supposedly a 'right wing think tank' and can therefore be ignored.

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Reply #11 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 10:39am

longweekend58 wrote on Apr 23rd, 2013 at 10:15am:

link please  .....

Those same economists you berate every time they give labor a tick?

What's your a favorite post longy????

Oh that's right
"Those same economists who missed the GFC"

But leaving politics aside,
Sure let cut spending, I believe mining companies got over 100 million in diesel subsidies last financial year,
Why the bugger are my tax dollars paying for their fuel

REBELLION is not what most people think it is.
REBELLION is when you turn off the TV & start educating & thinking for yourself.
Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 10:49am

Dsmithy70 wrote on Apr 23rd, 2013 at 10:39am:

link please  .....

Oh that's right

Sure let cut spending, I believe mining companies got over 100 million in diesel subsidies last financial year,

dont know but if i had to choose between a subsidy for a company that is employing people and paying massive taxes and a baby bonus given to people as a reward for having sex with someone they can recall and popping out another welfare recipient... guess which Id choose.

There are a great number of subsidies and welfare payments that need to be removed. You identified one and I did the other.  But everytime we talk of cutting spending it is targetted rather than spread across the community. let everyone pay the price for getting the economy back on target.

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Reply #13 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 11:22am

longweekend58 wrote on Apr 23rd, 2013 at 10:49am:

link please  .....

Oh that's right

dont know but if i had to choose between a subsidy for a company that is employing people and paying massive taxes and a baby bonus given to people as a reward for having sex with someone they can recall and popping out another welfare recipient... guess which Id choose.

There are a great number of subsidies and welfare payments that need to be removed. You identified one and I did the other.  But everytime we talk of cutting spending it is targetted rather than spread across the community. let everyone pay the price for getting the economy back on target.

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm old school, anyone earning over 80k should receive NO government benefits.

Returning to the company angle I think you find as a % of earnings by the time you factor in deprecation and the rest they pay less than you and me.

REBELLION is not what most people think it is.
REBELLION is when you turn off the TV & start educating & thinking for yourself.
Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 12:04pm

link please  .....

Oh that's right

hey smithy I didnt say I believe them.... but after the way the labs defend them I thought it was right they should take note what they are now saying..

I am one of these people that makes her own mind up..I do a bit of reading and then I look at whats happening..jobs going and so forth and then I come to a conclusion....quite often its right...

since 2007 all we have heard of is what the economist say about our country and yes I did ask how come they missed the GFC didnt even give a hint really until it was on us..

but it was in regards to the applause the left were giving economists.

what they are saying is things are not good.....but they are saying it once again after the damage has been done.....or at least thats the way I read it..we are in massive debt and its getting worse.....now how bad it is I wouldnt know and neither would you. swan would rather we didnt find out until after the election..

but we are more aware of the economists now than ever before....and if the govt isnt up front with us.. who else is there?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print