Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Cheap Asian labour - Underpaid?

« Created by: It_is_the_Darkness on: Apr 12th, 2013 at 7:18am »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cheap Asian Labour - Underpaid? (Read 9562 times)
It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Cheap Asian Labour - Underpaid?
Apr 12th, 2013 at 7:18am

We all know that the mass population pride of Asians as 'cheap labour' (takes x5 of them to change a light bulb) is how they 'sell themselves' to the world. Remember the Chinese Olympics ceremony where they emphasised 'mass' performance rather than individuality of one (token blackman).

Now we have Phillipino's working on Oil Rigs and apparently getting their 'traditional' low wage.
The outcry is that they are being 'underpaid' and are now set to earn a fortune in backpay and compensation.

I don't get it? Huh
How can poor quality 'mass production' workers get high quality Australian wages??
Just look at how crap QANTAS has become since maintenance has moved to Asia.

If they are earning high wages - maybe there should be less of them employed? Huh Tongue

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Cheap Asian Labour - Underpaid?
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 7:53am

Oil rig painters paid $3 an hour, Perth court told     Sad

AAP
    April 08, 2013

Prosecutors have alleged in the Federal Court that four oil rig painters were paid '$3 an hour'. Source: PerthNow

FOUR Filipino men hired to paint two oil rigs off the coast of Western Australia were paid less than $3 an hour for working 12-hour days, a Perth court has been told.     Sad

Three companies are being prosecuted over the employment of Dos Cordilla, Zenry Peteros, Roel Flores and Christopher Gelacio, on two Woodside rigs from March 2009.

The rigs' manager, Maersk Drilling, is said to have paid $400 a day for each man.

But the Fair Work ombudsman alleges the painters received only $US900 each for a 28-day, 12-hours-a-day roster, after subcontracting by one Australian firm and two foreign companies.

Court documents show that added up to an underpayment of almost $80,000 to the workers, who were hired on short-term 456 business visitor visas.

Paul Menzies QC, for the ombudsman, told the Federal Court in Perth today emails sent to Thomas Civiello, director of Perth-based company SurveySpec, clearly outlined pay rates way below Australia's minimum wage.

Mr Menzies said he would argue domestic employment laws should apply because the vessels they were working were "fixed platforms'' attached to the sea bed, that they were working for an Australian operator in Maersk, and most of their colleagues were Australian residents.

In a complex hiring chain, SurveySpec allegedly contracted the painters from Supply Oil Field and Marine Personal Services for $US92 a day.

SOS allegedly hired them from Hong Kong-based company Pocomwell, which paid them just $US900 each per 28-day stint.

Pocomwell, Philippines-based SOS, SurveySpec and Mr Civiello are each alleged to have committed 11 breaches, with the companies facing maximum penalties of $33,000 per breach and Mr Civiello facing up to $6600 per breach.     Smiley    

Earlier, the three companies had tried unsuccessfully to get the case thrown out, arguing foreign workers, working for foreign companies, on oil rigs that "have no real and substantial connection with Australia'' did not come under the nation's Fair Work Act.

"It is inappropriate, vexatious, oppressive and an abuse of process to impose the terms of Australian industrial instruments upon foreign corporations and upon foreign seafarers subject to a different work environment, different labour conditions and a different legislative disciplinary regime,'' they argued.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 9:02am

were they on 457s

IP Logged

Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 10:18am

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Apr 12th, 2013 at 7:18am:
I don't get it? Huh
How can poor quality 'mass production' workers get high quality Australian wages??

They're mass production workers back in their home country, but here, they have to survive under the same living costs. Otherwise, this would be a way for foreign countries to "dump" their oversupply of workers in our job market. It just reinforces the idea that this country is the rubbish tip of the world.

IP Logged

Swagman
Gold Member

Beware of cheap imitations......

Illawarra NSW
Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 10:38am

They should be on individual Australian workplace agreements (AWAs) and paid the minimum award and according to merit, experience and qualifications.

Huh

IP Logged

Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 11:35am

Swagman wrote on Apr 12th, 2013 at 10:38am:
They should be on individual Australian workplace agreements (AWAs) and paid the minimum award and according to merit, experience and qualifications.

Huh

Yeah, that's a great idea. WorkChoices for foreigners!!!! Kudos. Wink

IP Logged

Torpedo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 1:54pm

few years back I worked for some large organisation, I was hired based on my experience in Australia, qualification, and hard working attitude. My colleague was from India, with no experience, no qualification, and a bad attitude, and I mean he was rude, arrogant and annoying, he was straight forward racist, skipping work, leaving poo tasks on my desk, etc. Yet, he was paid higher wages, not considerably, but nonetheless - higher, he was favoured by the management, and it came across as if he was encouraged for his behaviour. I was baffled, until one day, at a farewell party for one of our employees, a phrase slipped of our manager's lips: good thing she's leaving, I won't sacrifice my place in here.
Everything is corrupted, and it's getting worse. We don't have the quality service anymore, Aussies are not infused to work hard, it's not appreciated, management worry more about the stronger opponent leaving, rather than staying.

If GST rises by 5%, then your income must also rise by 5%. Which means you will either become unemployed or underpaid. Choose wisely

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 2:57pm

Was in training for Chicken Sexing and managed to get to 100% in just 4 months of the 6 month term (the 5th month I had to train myself, because the Trainer left back for England after being ripped off $80,000 by the Company). The American Poultry Company sacked me for various pathetic reasons (lies!) after they used me to get rid of the Australian Contractors. They expected me to work for American wages for starters. They replaced me (and the Contractors) with Koreans on Backpacker Visas (none of them stayed in Backpacker Hostels) - of whom I laughed at the Manager when they told him they take 2 years for Training. Two Koreans 'refused' to make an effort to speak the International language of English. This American Poultry Company owns 90% of Global Market by destroying competitors ...and they have just bought Inghams out and will soon destroy other OZ Companies thanks to the ALP who makes OS a priority over anything Australian.

You market yourself as 'Cheap Labour' - maybe due to your desire to 'outbreed' everyone else, then you deserve to get paid peanuts !!!

Quality workmanship and ethic should get paid more than those who thrive on Quantity.

Australia is being 'dumbed down' by these poor quality workers from Asia and America or mass production. Why pay them OUR wages?

ALP: "Come to Australia and earn great wages for doing the same crap you've been doing previously"
...maybe its because of Australians getting the ONLINE SHOPPING loophole that this is occurring?

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 3:20pm

Torpedo wrote on Apr 12th, 2013 at 1:54pm:
few years back I worked for some large organisation, I was hired based on my experience in Australia, qualification, and hard working attitude. My colleague was from India, with no experience, no qualification, and a bad attitude, and I mean he was rude, arrogant and annoying, he was straight forward racist, skipping work, leaving poo tasks on my desk, etc. Yet, he was paid higher wages, not considerably, but nonetheless - higher, he was favoured by the management, and it came across as if he was encouraged for his behaviour. I was baffled, until one day, at a farewell party for one of our employees, a phrase slipped of our manager's lips: good thing she's leaving, I won't sacrifice my place in here.
Everything is corrupted, and it's getting worse. We don't have the quality service anymore, Aussies are not infused to work hard, it's not appreciated, management worry more about the stronger opponent leaving, rather than staying.

It sounds like workplace politics. The guy was hired just to occupy a place in the company and to prevent more competent rivals from sabotaging individual employees' agendas. As long as this guy stays out of the way, they keep him. Meanwhile, the quality of whatever the company does declines. Maybe that's the reason Australia can't compete. Shoddy managers hire shoddy workers resulting in shoddy company performance, delaying the great day in the future when Australians will finally come down from the trees. By then it will be too late, with little chance of this country making an impact on the world stage and the opportunity for greatness will have once again slipped away.

It makes me think, that maybe the people you resent most aren't really the worst people in a company. They're so annoying because they're valuable employees (and I am of course talking about the female, not the foreign employee). It reminds me of the saying: "lead, follow or get out of the way." People should be humble, they should not be selfish. They should think of the needs of the company more than their own. Arguing and bickering is fine because people may have a good reason for holding their opinions, but hiring foreign workers just to get a political advantage in the workplace is just ................... sick and Machiavellian. The company you're describing sounds like it works like Swift and Shift Couriers.

IP Logged

Torpedo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 5:04pm

Mnemonic, the company I am describing is an example of most large organisations today, their books are dangerous, remember Borders? this is a very good example. Managers and workers are really not concerned about the future of the company or their country, they are so disgustingly dumb, you have no idea  Lips Sealed

If GST rises by 5%, then your income must also rise by 5%. Which means you will either become unemployed or underpaid. Choose wisely

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 5:52pm

They should be on individual Australian workplace agreements (AWAs) ...

Banned.

... and paid the minimum award ...

Yep, that's the law.

... and according to merit, experience and qualifications.

Yep, pay any individual any amount over the award they deem appropriate.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #11 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 10:57pm

*prostrates self before the assembled House of Lords and Ladies after running all the way from the Battle of Marathon, and proffers from the floor a parchment scroll of truth**

https://sites.google.com/site/grappleruniversitypublications/home/department-of-...

I's finally done me figures for yez - but restricted me poor old mind and fingers to China/Hong Kong v Australia by way of comparison.  This'll tickle yez....(the court jester)...

**do I REALLY have to run back to Marathon?  A man could die doing that!** Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #12 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 10:59pm

If they work here - they get our rates - no questions asked.  There will be NO reduction in rates of pay or living standards under my government, and indeed ways will be sought to reverse the current trend towards both.....

New party time, dudes - the Republican Party is being re-listed for this election....... guess who is in it.....and I have my own agenda.... Cool Roll Eyes

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 10:45am

They should be on individual Australian workplace agreements (AWAs).     Shocked

IP Logged

Swagman
Gold Member

Beware of cheap imitations......

Illawarra NSW
Reply #14 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 7:03pm

Quote:
They should be on individual Australian workplace agreements (AWAs).     Shocked

Yes Crook I totally agree.....

greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 12th, 2013 at 5:52pm:
Banned.

Ah yes it's no longer possible they've been banned by ignorant collectivists.

Anti-competitive collusionists.

Good example why they shouldn't be banned though..... Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print