Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 21
Send Topic Print
Islam stifles basic science (Read 52232 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Islam stifles basic science
Reply #30 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 9:19am

Quote:
Hearing about it for the first time, this was my initial impression after a quick google.

I spent about 30 seconds reading the link you provided to wikipedia. Once it pointed out that the only reference over a period of 700 years was the one line reference to vulture feathers in the poem I knew something was up. How much Muslim propaganda did you have to read to convince yourself otherwise?

Quote:
Even so, the weight of evidence still points to the likelihood that my original claim is probably correct.

Which one is that? That he built a glider? You are getting vaguer by the minute.

Quote:
Contrasting with you, who has been maintaining that everything about the story was made up - that is until today.

Gandalf, the best lies are 90% truth. But they are still lies.

Quote:
Your sudden turn-around

There is no sudden turnaround, except from you.

Quote:
is presumably because the idea of a muslim embarassing himself by dressing up in feathers - with some added embelishments of your own like the claim that he broke his neck

Actually that was another story I read about him, probably something you or Abu posted. Every time I come across another Muslim 'reference' it is a new story.

Quote:
If you call wikipedia islamic propaganda - then yeah I guess

Actually if you had read your own link it should have been obvious to you also.

Quote:
Does any evidence exist that contradicts the core facts of the event (and no difference estimates of how far he flew doesn't count)?

What 'core facts'? That he flew faster than a phoenix? That he glued some vulture feathers to his arms? That the poet liked to make fun of him?

Quote:
why don't we stop desperately grasping at straws using association fallacies and just cut to the chase? I think you owe it to this thread to actually start making a case for how islam actively works to stifle science.

This is my case, right here. It is hard to stand on the shoulders of giants when you are propping up midgets.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #31 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 3:36pm

freediver wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 9:19am:
This is my case, right here. It is hard to stand on the shoulders of giants when you are propping up midgets.

why don't you enlighten me and explain exactly how this equates to a religion working to stifle science? All you are saying is that islam's claim to scientific contribution cannot be taken seriously. Thats not even close to the same thing.

Haven't really given much thought to this have you FD?

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 6:06pm

Quote:
why don't you enlighten me and explain exactly how this equates to a religion working to stifle science? All you are saying is that islam's claim to scientific contribution cannot be taken seriously. Thats not even close to the same thing.

Yes, these are slightly different concepts.

Can you offer an alternative explanation for the lack of significant contributions from the Islamic world to basic science, either during the 'golden years' or modern times? I had a closer look at that list you gave and it does not look like any one of them deserve to be in the top 100 list.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #33 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 6:25pm

sorry for the double post.

i'm a turkey.......Innit.

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2013 at 6:38pm by Yadda »  

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #34 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 6:32pm

Yadda wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 6:25pm:
It was a moslem who invented the computer.

It was a moslem who invented manned flight [....with the 'inspired' use of turkey feathers, innit].

It was a moslem who invented the micro-chip.

And it was a moslem who invented space travel.

And anyone who says; It ain't so!, is an ISLAM-o-PHOBE and full of hatred for moslems and ISLAM [  <--- Allah's perfect religion].

Innit.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #35 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 7:08pm

freediver wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 6:06pm:
I had a closer look at that list you gave and it does not look like any one of them deserve to be in the top 100 list.

Wow FD - I mean totally *WOW!!* I just never saw that coming

whoever would have even imagined in a million years that you would *EVER* come to such a conclusion????

Can you offer an alternative explanation for the lack of significant contributions from the Islamic world to basic science, either during the 'golden years' or modern times?

Please tell me that you've got something other than an association fallacy? I was looking forward to hearing about the mechanisms inherent in islam that work to stifle basic science. I've got the popcorn all ready FD, please don't dissapoint me.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #36 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 7:46pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 7:08pm:

Please tell me that you've got something other than an association fallacy? I was looking forward to hearing about the mechanisms inherent in islam that work to stifle basic science. I've got the popcorn all ready FD, please don't dissapoint me.

gandalf,

As a moslem, i am sure that you are already aware that the Koran [in fact Allah] commands believers to NOT enquire for themselves, about truth, OR, about the source of ISLAM's moral authority,
.....because for a moslem, faith is entirely dependent upon, obedience [submission] to Allah, AND, obedience [submission] to the clerics.

"O ye who believe! Ask not questions about things which, if made plain to you, may cause you trouble.....
Some people before you did ask such questions, and on that account lost their faith.
"
Koran 5.101, 102

AND;

The Koran [in fact Allah] instructs believers to follow the instruction and guidance of their clerics, implicitly,

"We sent not a messenger, but to be obeyed..........they ['believers'] can have no (real) Faith, until they make thee judge in all disputes between them, and find in their souls no resistance against Thy decisions, but accept them with the fullest conviction."
Koran 4.64, 65

And today, obviously, moslem clerics stand in Mohammed's 'place'.

AND;

Moslems are COMMANDED BY ALLAH, NOT TO SEEK, OR TO ACKNOWLEDGE ANY TRUTH, outside of ISLAM....

" "And believe no one unless he follows your religion." Say: "True guidance is the Guidance of Allah:....."   "
Koran 3.73

+++

Quote:

And who may enter into debate about what Allah's will is, when every moslem is taught from childhood that they must obey their moslem clerics, without question.

Theodore Roosevelt [1858-1919] on the prospects of Muslim liberalization
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1356182206/0#0

Allah does not want you [moslems] to 'reason out' things about your faith, or, to 'reason out' anything else - just to obey, Mohammed!

And this does not encourage within an individual, an attitude to enquiry, which is conducive to [even personal] scientific enquiry.

What ISLAM is saying to the individual moslem is;
What you may learn through scientific method [and reasoning], may take you away from your obedience to me, so do not enquire or try to reason, about anything out side of your religion, JUST GIVE ME, UNTHINKING OBEDIENCE!

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #37 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 8:34pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 1:27am:
Thanks, old chap. I’ve eaten.

Yes, and now you are full of it.

What's it like to be an old pederast with a dodgy sphincter, a misplaced life to look back on and a taste for man-sh!t??

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #38 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 8:49pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 7:08pm:
I had a closer look at that list you gave and it does not look like any one of them deserve to be in the top 100 list.

Wow FD - I mean totally *WOW!!* I just never saw that coming

http://cdn.hotstockmarket.com/7/70/450x268px-LL-700ac23d_tumblr_m0wb2xz9Yh1r08e3...

whoever would have even imagined in a million years that you would *EVER* come to such a conclusion????

Can you offer an alternative explanation for the lack of significant contributions from the Islamic world to basic science, either during the 'golden years' or modern times?

Can you suggest one of them who you think deserves to be on the list? Perhaps the first guy? After all, there is considerable uncertainty as to the actual provenance of many works that are ascribed to him, so it is right up your alley. Maybe you can find an islamic propaganda site ascribing the invention of the motor car to him. I notice Firnas is also there, so you could reintroduce the claim that he invented the world's first hang glider by gluing feathers to his arms. This is what it takes to prop up midgets, eh? There are also lots of translators for you to choose from.

I have already suggested one of the mechanisms.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 9:20pm

Soren wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 8:34pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 1:27am:
Thanks, old chap. I’ve eaten.

Yes, and now you are full of it.

What's it like to be an old pederast with a dodgy sphincter, a misplaced life to look back on and a taste for man-sh!t??

Annie, the patient seems to be errupting again.. Can we do something with the rectum?

I do think it’s time we consulted a surgeon on this one.

Oh, the pre-frontal lobes were done years ago, it’s the bowel I’m concerned with now.

Book it in for a full colostomy, dear. We’ll have it out.

You’ll be better in no time, old chap. We’ll book you in for next week.

I said, WE’LL BOOK YOU IN...

Oh, never mind.

If he’s not better by the end of the week, Amnie, let me know. Is there’s anything left to remove, we’ll have that out too. It’s all for the best, dear.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2013 at 9:25pm by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #40 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 8:16am

freediver wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 8:49pm:
I have already suggested one of the mechanisms.

You did? Sorry FD, can you run us by that again for the slow witted amongst us please? That is after all what the thread is supposed to be about.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 9:13am

Ah - I can answer that one. It’s about standing on the shoulders of giants. Your Muselman, you see, just won’t do it - something about blasphemy laws or Malaysia’s prime minister on hommersexuality.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #42 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 12:26pm

Thanks Karnal. Gandalf, the inability to rationally assess the contributions of your peers would be a roadblock to success. As you are demonstrating for us, this seems to be part and parcel of Islam. According to Abu, this is not just natural human parochialism, but actually commanded by Islam. It is just one of the many ways in which Islam stifles basic science.

If you can come up with an alternative explanation for the clear historical pattern please enlighten us. When you described it as correlation, were you suggesting there is no causal link? Is it the west's fault that the Muslim world always has been and continues to be so backwards in this regard?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 12:46pm

freediver wrote on Mar 11th, 2013 at 12:26pm:
Thanks Karnal. Gandalf, the inability to rationally assess the contributions of your peers would be a roadblock to success.

So there are no Muslim scientists, doctors, researchers, academics, or editors of scientific publications?

Sinister.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #44 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 3:38pm

If you can come up with an alternative explanation for the clear historical pattern please enlighten us. When you described it as correlation, were you suggesting there is no causal link? Is it the west's fault that the Muslim world always has been and continues to be so backwards in this regard?

How about this FD: does it make sense for me to try and explain a phenomenon that I don't believe exists in the first place? The no-contribution fairy tale is simply a figment of your imagination. Western scientists themselves have no problem acknowledging the enormous contribution islamic science has made - for example:

Quote:
But the foundations of modern science were laid long before this time, and were particularly influenced by Islamic civilization. The Muslims were the leading scholars between the seventh and fifteenth centuries, and were the heirs of the scientific traditions of Greece, India and Persia. After appropriation and assimilation, they built on these discoveries, and developed a truly Islamic science that led worldwide knowledge in all scientific fields, including medicine. These activities were cosmopolitan, in that the participants were Arabs, Persians, Central Asians, Christians and Jews, and later included Indians and Turks. The transfer of the knowledge of Islamic science to the West through various channels paved the way for the Renaissance, and for the scientific revolution in Europe. The public in the West is generally unaware of this important contribution to modern science and to the culture of the Middle Ages. Islamic civilization is part of our own heritage, and the great Islamic scientists whose works were translated into Latin, such as Jabir ibn Hayan (Geber), Ibn Sina (Avicenna), al-Razi (Rhazes), Ibn al-Haytham (Adhazin) and al-Khuwarizmi, are as important as any great European scientist.

the inability to rationally assess the contributions of your peers would be a roadblock to success. As you are demonstrating for us, this seems to be part and parcel of Islam.

Lets talk about an "inability to rationally assess" shall we? How about repeatedly ignoring examples of the many scientific contributions in the fields of physics, astronomy and medicine and others? How about dismissing undisputed mathematical contributions to science on the bizarre logic that "maths is not science" - and the simply comical notion that physics can get along just fine without mathematics?

This is the very embodiment of irrational assessment FD.

According to Abu

Yes, and according to Abu or "some muslims", camel-urine drinking is held as the pinnacle of scientific achievement remember? I've asked you about 5 times now to provide the relevant quotes and not a word. Whats trully pathetic about this is its not just a "by the way" sort of comment, it is front and centre to your bullshit claim that islam props up midgets.

Look, I understand that you most likely made this statement in error (like the claim that deaths in Iraq have been increasing), and thats fine - but at least have the dignity to acknowledge it was just a baseless smeer on muslims. This would be a good first step if you are going to ever hope to rationally assess these topics.

Quote:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 21
Send Topic Print