Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Should the Japs get out of Antarctica with their harpoons?

yes    
  7 (46.7%)
no    
  7 (46.7%)
not sure    
  1 (6.7%)

Total votes: 15
« Created by: Bobby. on: Feb 23rd, 2013 at 9:10pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Sea Shepherd gets rammed (Read 23106 times)
Maqqa
Gold Member

14% - that low?!

Sea Shepherd gets rammed
Feb 20th, 2013 at 3:34pm

http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/16191290/sea-shepherd-rammed-by-japan...

Anti-whaling activists claim two of their vessels have been "rammed" by a Japanese boat in the Southern Ocean.

The Sea Shepherd group alleges the Japanese factory boat Nisshin Maru deliberately collided with their ships, the Steve Irwin and the Bob Barker, and ordered them to leave the area.

They also claim Japanese coastguards are throwing "concussion grenades" towards the fleet.

"The Nisshin Maru has rammed the Steve Irwin and the Bob Barker but both vessels continue to hold their positions," Sea Shepherd Captain Paul Watson said in a statement on Facebook.

"The Bob Barker is taking on water in their engine room."

Sea Shepherd spokesman Jeff Hansen told the ABC the Steve Irwin had been struck on the stern and the right hull.

"We're now under attack with concussion grenades being thrown by armed Japanese coastguard in Australian waters at our crew," he said.

"We're very concerned for the safety of our crew at the moment."

No injuries have been reported.

The Japanese Institute of Cetacean Research has been contacted for comment.

Bill 14% is not the alcohol content of that wine. It's your poll number

IP Logged

Maqqa
Gold Member

14% - that low?!

Re: Sea Shepherd gets rammed
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 3:35pm

These pirates should get rammed

Bill 14% is not the alcohol content of that wine. It's your poll number

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 4:20pm

Japanese whaling ship 'rams' Sea Shepherd protesters

February 20, 2013

Paul Watson says  a Japanese whaling ship has rammed its two protest ships. Source: PerthNow

ANTI-whaling group Sea Shepherd says a Japanese whaling ship has rammed its two protest ships, and one, the Bob Barker is taking on water.     Angry

Captain Paul Watson, in a posting on his Facebook page on Wednesday afternoon, claimed the Nisshin Maru had rammed both the Steve Irwin and the Bob Barker "but both vessels continue to hold their positions. The Bob Barker is taking on water in their engine room".

They were in the Southern Ocean, north of the Australian Casey Research Station.

Speaking from aboard the Steve Irwin, Watson told 3 News the Bob Barker, with 38 crew aboard, was hit a number of times as they tried to stop the Nisshin Maru from refuelling, which he says is illegal in the Southern Ocean.

''(It) has lost power, toppled the main mast, smashed up the deck,'' he said.

A mayday has been issued but the crew had managed to stop water from coming in, he said.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority is responsible for responding to maydays in that part of the ocean. The authority is in the process of responding.

Former Australian Greens leader Bob Brown said the federal government should send the navy to Antarctic waters to restore international law.     Wink

''This is a gross breach of international law by the Japanese,'' Dr Brown, who is a director of Sea Shepherd Australia, told reporters in Melbourne on Wednesday.

''I'm calling the Australian government to dispatch naval vessels now - not just to film the slaughter of the whales by the Antarctic fleet but to restore international law.

''Tokyo is not in control of ... Australian waters.''

Capt Watson said the Japanese ship had also struck the Korean-owned fuel tanker, the Sun Laurel.

The Japanese Institute of Cetacean Research could not be reached for immediate comment, but last week it said the Bob Barker had tried to sabotage Japanese research vessel Nisshin Maru and Yushin Maru No.2 as they tried to transfer a whale between the two ships.

The confrontation comes the same month the US Supreme Court upheld an injunction ordering Sea Shepherd to keep away from Japanese whaling ships in the Southern Ocean.

AAP

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 4:33pm

Maqqa wrote on Feb 20th, 2013 at 3:34pm:
The Japanese Institute of Cetacean Research ...

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 6:02pm

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 6:46pm

LOL, they spend the entire season trying to get their boat in the way of the whalers, then blame the whalers when there is a collision. I told you they would come home  crying like little bitches when this happens.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 8:32pm

Quote:
The confrontation comes the same month the US Supreme Court upheld an injunction ordering Sea Shepherd to keep away from Japanese whaling ships in the Southern Ocean.

Why would the US supreme court think it has control over Australian Arctic waters?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 8:42pm

freediver wrote on Feb 20th, 2013 at 6:46pm:
LOL, they spend the entire season trying to get their boat in the way of the whalers, then blame the whalers when there is a collision.
I told you they would come home  crying like little bitches when this happens.

FD,
surely you've got to have some sympathy for Paul Watson & his team?

After all the Jap ships were illegally loading fuel oil at a latitude greater than 60 degrees.
They are actually at 65 degrees.
This illegal act was stopped by the Sea Shepherd in Australian waters.
Surely our own military patrol boats should have intervened & been doing their job?
Now the Sea Shepherd has been illegally rammed & weapons used illegally against it.

FD - don't you obey fishing regulations?

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 8:49pm

freediver wrote on Feb 20th, 2013 at 6:46pm:
LOL, they spend the entire season trying to get their boat in the way of the whalers, then blame the whalers when there is a collision. I told you they would come home  crying like little bitches when this happens.

the real cry babies are the australian government who refuse to do what they are supposed to do because they might upset those poor little japs Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 9:01pm

Quote:
the real cry babies are the australian government who refuse to do what they are supposed to do because they might upset those poor little jap

Both the major parties are gutless when it comes to standing up for what is right. We're just a laughing stock to the rest of the world and only here to be trampled on by parasites and thieves and that includes the Japanese.

Quote:
Why would the US supreme court think it has control over Australian Arctic waters?

Apparently the US has jurisdiction over the whole of the planet and its seas and its divided up with a specific Court judge appointed to each section to rule as he sees fit.

Quote:
Sea Shepherd has argued that the US court has no jurisdiction over activities halfway across the world.

Sea Shepherd said it planned to reapply to another of the Supreme Court's nine justices.

"We are hopeful for a favourable decision," said Charles Moure, a Seattle-based lawyer who is lead US counsel for the group.

Generally, one Supreme Court justice considers all emergency applications from each US region.

Kennedy - considered a decisive swing vote on the bench - is in charge of the Ninth Circuit, which includes the Pacific Northwest.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/us-supreme-court-rejects-sea-shepherd-bid/story-fn3dxix6-1226578358826

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 9:28pm

Quote:
After all the Jap ships were illegally loading fuel oil at a latitude greater than 60 degrees.

Never heard of that one before. If it is anything like their claim that Australia owns the southern ocean and whaling there breaks international law then it is a croc of poo. I suppose it is a good sign that they have given up on that old line.

Quote:

If you see someone talking own their mobile while driving does it give you the right to run them off the road?

Quote:
Surely our own military patrol boats should have intervened & been doing their job?

Doing their job would be to arrest Paul Watson.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 9:35pm

freediver wrote on Feb 20th, 2013 at 9:28pm:
Quote:

Never heard of that one before. If it is anything like their claim that Australia owns the southern ocean and whaling there breaks international law then it is a croc of poo. I suppose it is a good sign that they have given up on that old line.

I hadn't heard about it either till Paul Watson said it on the news this afternoon.

Quote:
Quote:

If you see someone talking own their mobile while driving does it give you the right to run them off the road?

No - but the police should intervene & not have to let civilians uphold the law.

Quote:
Quote:

Doing their job would be to arrest Paul Watson

Our navy should enforce our laws.

Question:
do you throw your undersize catch back?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 9:40pm

Quote:
No - but the police should intervene & not have to let civilians uphold the law.

Where should they intervene first - the guy talking on his mobile, or the hippy trying to run people off the road?

Quote:

Not in international waters they shouldn't.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 9:47pm

freediver wrote on Feb 20th, 2013 at 9:40pm:
Quote:

Where should they intervene first - the guy talking on his mobile, or the hippy trying to run people off the road?

FD - that's a contrived false analogy.
Talking on a mobile is different to killing whales & loading
fuel oil in an Antarctic wilderness.

Paul Watson is not a hippy - he's the captain of a vessel that is trying to do the
right thing for our planet & uphold international law.

Quote:
Quote:

Not in international waters they shouldn't. 
    [/quote]

I thought it was Australian Antarctic territory as well as a protected wilderness?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 10:03pm

Quote:
Talking on a mobile is different to killing whales & loading

You are right. Talking on your mobile is actually illegal. Hunting whales is not. But the point is still valid. Whatever bullshit excuse sea shepherd has is not a good reason for trying to sink boats in the southern ocean.

Quote:
Paul Watson is not a hippy - he's the captain of a vessel that is trying to do the
right thing for our planet & uphold international law.

You are confused Bobby. Sea Shepherd are the only ones breaking the law.

Quote:
I thought it was Australian Antarctic territory as well as a protected wilderness?

That's what you get for listening to idiots like Paul Watson. Under Australian law it is, but international waters are not governed by Australian law. It's an empty claim, like if Japan started making rules for the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print