Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Should the Japs get out of Antarctica with their harpoons?

yes    
  7 (46.7%)
no    
  7 (46.7%)
not sure    
  1 (6.7%)

Total votes: 15
« Created by: Bobby. on: Feb 23rd, 2013 at 9:10pm »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
Sea Shepherd gets rammed (Read 23296 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Well Done Sea Shepherd - Keep Up The Good Work.
Reply #150 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 5:28am

Japan rues low whale haul

Date
    April 6, 2013

Japan's whalers are returning to port with their lowest Antarctic catch, 103 minke whales, after a shortened season marked by heavy clashes with conservation group Sea Shepherd.     Smiley

The tally, less than half of last year, was disclosed in Tokyo by Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Minister Yoshimasa Hayashi, who blamed it on ''unforgivable sabotage'' by the activists.

The whaling fleet arrived in waters south of Australia later than usual, and was pursued by Sea Shepherd south-west of Perth where the conflict climaxed with a refuelling blockade involving multiple ship collisions.

The fleet left in early March, but is believed to have returned briefly after the activists' ships, short on fuel, dropped the pursuit.

Japan has been ''research whaling'' since 1987, facing dwindling catches under Sea Shepherd harassment, and declining interest in whale meat among Japanese consumers.     Smiley

On its 48-day hunt off the Australian Antarctic Territory this summer, the whalers spent 21 days avoiding Sea Shepherd, The Institute of Cetacean Research said, according to AFP.

Sea Shepherd Australia director Jeff Hansen said this year's campaign would go down as the group's most successful. ''I can't think of more ecological terrorism than going into a protected whale sanctuary, hunting endangered whales, and requiring a fuel tanker to go south into ice strewn waters with all the potential environmental harm involved in that,'' he said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/japan-rues-low-whale-haul-20130405-2hcao.html#ixzz2PcPuRnNz

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Re: Well Done Sea Shepherd - Keep Up The Good Work.
Reply #151 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 7:52am

The Sea Shepherd group shouldn't worry too much, all eyes in Japan are now cast on North Korea.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #152 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 10:02am

Paul Watson has done well.

He is a hero.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #153 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 10:13am

Bobby. wrote on Apr 6th, 2013 at 10:02am:

He is a hero.

he's done what the labor party could never do and at virtually  zero cost to the tax payer Wink

this is just another nail in labors coffin and Tony Bourke can f.ckoff with his empty rhetoric on fighting it out in the international court bullshit !!

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Sea Shepherd gets rammed
Reply #154 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 6:55pm

The last 4 Posts were moved here from General Board by freediver.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #155 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 6:58pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Apr 6th, 2013 at 10:13am:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 6th, 2013 at 10:02am:

He is a hero.

he's done what the labor party could never do and at virtually  zero cost to the tax payer Wink

this is just another nail in labors coffin and Tony Bourke can f.ckoff with his empty rhetoric on fighting it out in the international court bullshit !!

I agree. There is not much point taking them to court, given that they are not breaking any real laws. Sea Shepherd obviously believes that when the law is not on your side, your only option is to play pirates and try to interrupt a refueling operation in the middle of a pristine wilderness area.

(Then come home crying when your gay boat gets sunk.)

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #156 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 2:03am

err I find it bizarre -o-mundo
that Hicks is quoting Greenpeace. 
Roll Eyes Shocked
Do you seriously think we'd  believe YOU are a member of Greenpeace.??

live every day

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Australia Blamed For Helping Whale Protest.
Reply #157 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:01am

Australia blamed for helping whale protest

Date
    April 9, 2013

Japan has rounded on Australia and promised to step up a legal attack on hardline conservationists as it rallies behind its whalers.     Huh

The whalers' managing government agency, the Institute of Cetacean Research, says the federal government shows a willingness to tolerate sabotage by providing a safe haven to Sea Shepherd activists.     Roll Eyes

In pursuit of the group, the institute says it will mount a case for contempt in the US, claiming ''vicious, inhumane and extremely dangerous'' abuse of a court order not to interfere with the whaling fleet in the Antarctic.

The whaling factory ship Nisshin Maru and two of its harpoon vessels returned to port in Shimonoseki on Sunday to a brass band fanfare, speeches, and whale food giveaways.

Bowls of whale soup were handed around, and canned whale meat was on sale by the dock as the crews gathered in a large tent for official speeches.

The hull of Nisshin Maru had dents after clashes with Sea Shepherd vessels in a February refuelling blockade near Australia's Davis station, off the Antarctic coast.     Smiley

Under pressure in a shortened season the whalers took 103 minkes, their lowest tally ever, in what Sea Shepherd said was a financial disaster.     Smiley

Federal Environment Minister Tony Burke said the tally was ''103 whales too many. That's why we are taking Japan to the International Court of Justice to stop this practice forever.''

Japan's Fisheries Minister Yoshimasa Hayashi told the whalers in Shimonoseki that Sea Shepherd's activities ''amounted to piracy''. He claimed that the International Whaling Commission recognised the legitimacy of Japan's whaling research.

Statements posted on the Japanese language website of the Institute of Cetacean Research detailed the sabotage claims. It blamed Australia and the Netherlands, as flag states for the Sea Shepherd ships, for not halting the violence.

''The Australian government … has come up with a willingness to tolerate the act, such as providing harbour (for) Sea Shepherd,'' the institute said.     Smiley

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/australia-blamed-for-helping-whale-protest-20130408-2hh70.html#ixzz2Pv4GmqIl

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Australia Blamed For Helping Whale Protest.
Reply #158 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:04am

The Japanese just will not take the hint.  Stop your whaling.     Wink

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #159 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:10am

the Institute of Cetacean Research,

I love the fact that they allow there cretans to research, probably cuts the cost of the pretence.

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #160 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 3:28pm

Japan can criticise all it likes, it would be a brave Government that would ban the Sea Shepherd Group from its worthy endeavours.

The Sea Shepherd Group has a very large support base here and read into that Voters.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #161 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 7:16pm

The last 4 Posts were moved here from General Board by freediver.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #162 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 7:17pm

Actually there are plenty of countries that Paul Watson can no longer set foot in. He is a self confessed pirate and criminal. Backing him is morally no different to backing terrorists.

IP Logged

Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #163 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 12:48am

Dnarever wrote on Feb 20th, 2013 at 8:32pm:
Why would the US supreme court think it has control over Australian Arctic waters?

It doesn't. I think it's a matter of funding. If Paul Watson and his fellow activists can't get funding for their cause, they can't continue their activities against the Japanese whalers.

IP Logged

Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #164 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 1:19am

freediver wrote on Apr 9th, 2013 at 7:17pm:
Actually there are plenty of countries that Paul Watson can no longer set foot in. He is a self confessed pirate and criminal. Backing him is morally no different to backing terrorists.

Be careful who you call "terrorist." Remember the Tibetan riots in China? The Chinese were calling the rioters terrorists. Choose your words carefully. "Vandal" sounds more like it. They're not dealing with Osama bin Laden here.

Examples of vandalism could include graffiti, smashing shop windows, stealing copper wire, damaging private property and sabotage. This is what the Japanese are facing.

Let's not equate vandalism with terrorism. They are two different things. It's like when you compare an event to the Holocaust. You're saying that the damage Paul Watson is doing is the same as that suffered by victims of terrorism.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print