Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Update on Darwin Abattoir (Read 1111 times)
hadrian_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Update on Darwin Abattoir
Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:15pm

An external Project Manager has been appointed and preparatory ground works are now underway
Major elements of the plant are now in the process of going out to tender
AACo is in advanced discussions with several parties looking to invest alongside it in the project
AACo cattle are being aligned to ensure sufficient supply for the plant once operational and other pastoralists in the plant’s catchment area have been reached out to
Discussions are underway with several potential offtake customers

It will be remembered, in the wake of the live export ban, there was a lot of discussion on why processing couldn't be done here. The AACo is in the process of solving some of that problem with this new facility.

Disclosure: anything I write may be deemed to be extremist, particularly if it is critical of the ALP or Greens. Look away now if squeamish.
Life may be too short, so have a laugh & enjoy.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Re: Update on Darwin Abattoir
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:33pm

Top End abattoir will target China meat market

By Melanie Arnost

Posted 1 hour 26 minutes ago

The company building a new abattoir south of Darwin says a surge in Australian beef shipments to China will be good for business in the Northern Territory.

China is now officially Australia's third largest beef export destination.

Australian Agricultural Company (AACo) chief operating officer Troy Setter says the abattoir's close proximity to Asia was important.

"It is giving us new, growing markets outside the traditional markets of Japan, Korea and the US," he said.

"It's great news to see growth in markets that Australia has invested a lot of time in developing."

The $85 million abattoir and meat packing facility at Livingstone is expected to process about 200,000 head of cattle a year.

AACo has already expressed interest in seeking a joint venture investor in the project, preferably from Asia.

Mr Setter said China had recently cracked down on illegal meat imports, which would also help the new abattoir.

"It will be targeting the grinding meat trade, the lean beef trade," he said.

"The competitive advantage of happening an abattoir in Darwin is its close proximity to Asia, and China is certainly one of the markets we will be targeting."

AACo operates 19 cattle stations, two feedlots and three farms in the Territory, Western Australia and Queensland.

Its operations cover 7.2 million hectares, or about 1 per cent of Australia's land mass.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:34pm

What an odd thing to be interested in, I hear you cry.
I am an odd person, I hear myself respond.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 10:59am

AACo to fund Darwin abattoir itself

DateApril 20, 2013 - 8:17AM

AAP

Cattle producer Australian Agricultural Company (AACo) will pay for its $85 million abattoir being built near Darwin, itself.

Stage one civil works for the project are complete, and AACo plans to fund the construction of the abattoir off its own balance sheet.

"AACo has had numerous discussions with potential joint-venture partners, but as indicated previously, AACo will only consider a joint venture if the partner brought strategic value to the project, such as logistics or distribution capability, on terms acceptable to AACo," AACo managing director David Farley said in a statement.

"AACo is unwilling to consider a pure equity investment from third parties without this sort of strategic alignment."

AACo said it would use money from the sale of two of its properties in Queensland - Brighton Downs and Adelong - to pay for the higher value-adding beef processing assets in northern Australia.

IP Logged

newtown_grafitti

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 10:44pm

Quote:
It will be remembered, in the wake of the live export ban, there was a lot of discussion on why processing couldn't be done here.

Jewish and Islamic rules are very specific about how beasts are killed. I speculate that these go back more than a millennium relating to avoidance of disease developing in meat in hot climates. But they are doctrines now and cannot be addressed by the advent of refrigeration - although lack of refrigeration is still a live issue in some Middle East countries to which live sheep are exported.

China is different. Most Chinese will eat pretty much any part of any animal (apart from their ancestors) - although some Chinese, notably the Uighur, are Muslim and would prefer halal-killed sheep & beef.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 11:11pm

bogarde73 wrote on Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:34pm:
What an odd thing to be interested in, I hear you cry.
I am an odd person, I hear myself respond.

Yes, Darwin is an odd thing to be interested in.

Do they have electricity there yet?

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 11:59am

You're a dunce, you know that gregpec . . .spelt d-u-f-u-s.

Related to the issue of the Darwin abbattoir is the news that Indonesia is to start taking Aussie live beef on a large scale again, due to a scarcity in their home market.
Inevitably this means animal cruelty again, so the sooner we can get more onshoreprocessing the better.

Also related in a way is the news about Rio Tinto's scheme for turning the Pilbara into one giant food bowl:
Rio Tinto will grow hay from recycled mining water

By Andrew Balding

Wednesday, 19/10/2011

Mining giant Rio Tinto has been given environmental approval to grow hay using recycled water from its mining operations.

It's for a plan called the Hamersley Agriculture Project.

The hay will be produced across 1,650 hectares of land on Hamersley Station about 37 kilometres east of Tom Price.

The water will come from Marandoo Mine Phase Two in the Central Pilbara.

Initially, the hay will go to Hamersley Station and other Rio-owned pastoral properties in the region.

Chairman of the Environmental Protection Authority, Dr Paul Vogel, says the authority is pleased to have given the project approval.

"It provides a very, very sustainable use of significant quantities of water," he said.

"We're talking about 29 gigalitres a year, and having it used in this way is a much more sustainable use of a resource than just dispersing it into the environment."

Rio Tinto's general manager for Climate Change, Water and the Environment, Allan Jackson, says along with the hay the project offers some other opportunities as well.

"We're also looking at plantation for trees that will provide us with seeds for future mine rehabilitation and also mulching of hay for a replacement of soil that's not available to rehabilitate our mines in the future when they come to closure."

The project aims to grow two varieties of hay, which are rhodes grass (Chloris gayana) and forage oats (Avena sativa).

The plan is now waiting WA Government approval.

Rio Tinto says it hopes to commence the project in mid-2012.

Fast Forward
This is now happening.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print