Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Islam forbids enquiry (Read 10212 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Islam forbids enquiry
Feb 10th, 2013 at 7:16pm

http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/nora/html/5-101.html

Koran chapter Al-Maeda (5) Verse No:101

O you who believe! Ask not about things which, if made plain to you, may cause you trouble. But if you ask about them while the Qur'an is being revealed, they will be made plain to you. Allah has forgiven that, and Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Forbearing.

Gandalf does this basically mean Muslims should deliberately remain ignorant about those aspects of Islam they feel uncomfortable with? Is this why so many discussions with you about Islam usually start you you insisting other people must be wrong for some circuitous reason, but then end with you admitting you don't actually know?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Islam forbids enquiry
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 8:02pm

Quote:
..........Ask not about things which, if made plain to you, may cause you trouble.......

if a part of the koran suggests to kill nonmuslims, but you are in a nonmuslim country, keep quiet about it.

Quote:
..........But if you ask about them while the Qur'an is being revealed, they will be made plain to you. Allah has forgiven that........

if a teacher in a mosque says "whip those women who sunbathe topless", then that is pretty obvious what he means, don't worry though, allah forgives that you did not whip them before.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 9:32pm

An interesting verse, and one that has a couple of dimensions.

Firstly, the context of this verse was during the time of the prophet where the prophet was being bombarded with a lot of unnecessary questions that were not relevant to day-to-day islamic law. The example given in an oft-cited hadith, involved many people asking the prophet who their father was, and when the prophet told them, they were upset. So in this context, the message "if you think the answer to your question will upset you, don't ask" - makes sense.

Yusuf Ali provides a more metaphysical explanation in his meaning of the Quran:

Quote:
Many secrets are wisely hidden from us. If the future were known to us, we need not necessarily be happy. In many cases we should be miserable. If the inner meaning of some of the things we see before our eyes were disclosed to us, it might cause a lot of mischief. Allah's Message, insofar as it is necessary for shaping our conduct, is plain and open to us. But there are many things too deep for us to understand, either individually or collectively. It would be foolish to pry into them, as some people tried to do in the time of the Prophet. Where a matter is mentioned in the Quran, we can reverently ask for its meaning. That is not forbidden. But we should never pass the bounds of (1) our own capacity to understand, (2) the time and occasion when we ask questions, and (3) the part of the Universal Plan which it is Allah's purpose to reveal to us.

The second dimension of this verse relates to the more mundane matters of day-to-day living and the specific obligations of muslims. Another relevant hadith relates a man who asked the prophet if the hajj must be performed every year - since the quran only says it is obligatory, but doesn't say how often. The prophet replied no, it doesn't have to be performed every year, but chastised the man and explained that had he could have obliged him to make something obligatory, when it needn't have been. Thus, so says another hadith:

"The worst criminal among the Muslims is the one who inquired about something which had not been made unlawful, and then it was declared so, because of his inquiry."

This article explains this point further:

Quote:
In matters where the Law-giver has chosen to lay down certain injunctions only broadly, without any elaborate details, or quantitative specifications, He has done so not because of neglect or forgetfulness. Such seeming omissions are deliberate, and the reason thereof is that He does not desire to place limitations upon people, but prefers to allow them latitude and ease in following His commandments. Now there are some people who make unnecessary inquiries, cause elaborately prescribed, inflexibly determined and restrictive regulations to be added to the Law. Some others, in cases where such details are in no way deducible from the text, resort to analogical reasoning, thereby turning a broad general rule into an elaborate law full of restrictive details, and an unspecified into a specified rule. Both sorts of people put Muslims in great danger. For, in the area of belief, the more detailed the doctrines to which people are required to subscribe, the more problematic it becomes to do so. Likewise, in legal matters, the greater the restriction, the greater the likelihood of violation.

Thus, islamic law is in many respects deliberately vague in order to provide flexibility. However if the prophet is pushed with unnecessary enquiries about the specifics, then his hand may be forced, and be obliged to create further restrictions where it needn't have been created.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 10:10pm

So Muhammed was into telling people who their real father is?

Does the verse apply to people who are still learning the basics about Islam and who could reasonably expect that there is already a clear ruling an on issue, but who are troubled by what it might be?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 10:42pm

lol FD, you really do tie yourself in knots in your desperate attempts to trip me up.

Can you give me an example of a person "still learning the basics about Islam and who could reasonably expect that there is already a clear ruling an on issue, but who are troubled by what it might be" - because that just sounds bizarre to me - and its difficult to make sense of it.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:02pm

I thought I made it pretty clear in the opening post. For example, if a person considers shariah so objectionable that it might cause them to apostasize, does Islam guide them to refrain from looking into whether shariah law is part of Islamic law?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:32pm

lol sharia law and islamic law are exactly the same thing, so I have no idea what you are on about there.

If you meant whether or not a muslim can question whether a law that some people may claim to be sharia is in fact sharia - yes of course they can.

I've spent most of my time on this forum doing exactly that - in case you hadn't noticed.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:37pm

You said it gandalf:

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 19th, 2013 at 5:10pm:
Well thats easy FD, see if you bothered taking note of what I said, you would see that I never actually conceded that enforcement of sharia is necessarily part of islamic law. It is something I am still uncertain on - and in fact its the contradiction with specific quranic verses that leads me to doubt that it is.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:43pm

right, and do you understand the key word "enforcement"? Remember my whole spiel about no compulsion in religions?

The quran commands muslims to pray 5 times a day, but nowhere does it say people must be forced to.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:59pm

So the following statements are also correct?

Gandalf does not know whether enforcement of Shariah law is part of Shariah law.

Gandalf does not know whether enforcement of Islamic law is part of Islamic law.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #10 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:08pm

correct. Though you said the same thing twice.

You are forgiven for your misunderstanding.

namaste.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:16pm

Does it make sense to refer to it as law if it is not enforced?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #12 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:23pm

yes.

It is religious law - a matter between the individual and God.

Judgment and punishment will be deferred until the hereafter.

Quote:

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:23pm

Wold FD be whipped or whatever for making such queries under islam ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 9:51am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:23pm:
Wold FD be whipped or whatever for making such queries under islam ?

Haha. He would probably be shunned.

Quote:
Gandalf does not know whether enforcement of Shariah law is part of Shariah law.

I was curious about that. Shariah Law varies from country to country - village to village?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print