Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Voting by delegable proxy (Read 63608 times)
catprog

Australian Politics

Re: Voting by delegable proxy
Reply #90 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 8:38pm

freediver wrote on Apr 7th, 2013 at 8:32pm:
Obviously for a system where you can change your vote at any time there would have to be an IT system that remembers your vote.

If you aren't comfortable with that the concept applies equally well to paper ballot voting once every three years as per our current system.

The paper based system though has the problem of only being able to change your delegate every 3 years.

The problem with computers is you have situations like over in America with their voting machines.

You could have a situation where you assign a number to your vote and the highest number is what counts. When you have to show someone your vote you give the number which shows that you have the delegate that they wanted you to have.

Maybe even a pseudo-annonomace thing. The id and delegate combination is public. The id-person combination is not.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #91 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 8:53pm

I like the idea of having a public ID number that is only privately linked to you, but there is a risk that if it is ever leaked your entire voting history will be public record. I think it best to keep it as private as possible.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

catprog

Australian Politics

Reply #92 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 8:59pm

freediver wrote on Apr 7th, 2013 at 8:53pm:
I like the idea of having a public ID number that is only privately linked to you, but there is a risk that if it is ever leaked your entire voting history will be public record. I think it best to keep it as private as possible.

It comes down to privacy vs authentication. I think a parallel is bitcoin addresses.

And you possible only store the last vote anyway to guard against the entire voting history.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #93 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 9:40pm

If the current votes are made public, people will store the information.

I am not sure how it aides authentication. If you have a list of ID numbers and votes, there is no way to check what is real if you cannot compare it with anything.

IP Logged

catprog

Australian Politics

Reply #94 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 10:24pm

freediver wrote on Apr 7th, 2013 at 9:40pm:
If the current votes are made public, people will store the information.

I am not sure how it aides authentication. If you have a list of ID numbers and votes, there is no way to check what is real if you cannot compare it with anything.

Yeah that is a problem(people storing votes.)

1)Does each delegate have the number of votes they say they have.

2)Id numbers. Is your vote correct.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #95 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 7:53am

That is always going to be a problem with secret ballots. You either go with a paper system and observers to the count, or take the risk. With an electronic system, there is no easy way around it. One option might be to release voting results on a suburb or postcode basis. That way it would be easy to conduct a poll as a sanity check on the official figures.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #96 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 7:20pm

freediver wrote on Apr 7th, 2013 at 8:04pm:
longweekend58 wrote on Apr 7th, 2013 at 6:14pm:
I support rule of the majority. I define 'majority' differently to you. to me - a majority means more than anyone else

Why don't you redefine mandate while you are at it? Oh wait, you just did.

Quote:
I have said nothing of the sort in fact I say quite the opposite.

Of course you say the opposite. It is called contradicting yourself and being a hypocrite, and I don't have to redefine those terms to apply them to you. I can quote you on any of it if you want, so go ahead and pick something you think I am wrong about.

Longy do you have a rational explanation for all your self contradictions? Your "I don't know what majority means" argument looks a bit hollow when you start to use that pretend majority as the grounds for a clear and unambiguous moral mandate.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print