Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Voting by delegable proxy (Read 63843 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Voting by delegable proxy
Reply #60 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 10:33pm

Quote:
and the only people driving policy agendas would be minorities

You make this claim just about every single post. I ask you to explain every single time. You never do. Can you explain why you think this? It makes no sense. Our current system is far more likely to allow a minority to dictate policy than voting by delegable proxy (and ours is pretty good by international standards). It is pretty much the opposite of what you claim - this system ensures that it is the majority that decides.

Quote:
You have such a love of minorities you would do anything to ensure they get their unfair say.

Why do you think they would have an unfair say?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

gold_medal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 6:46am

freediver wrote on Jan 17th, 2013 at 10:33pm:
Quote:
and the only people driving policy agendas would be minorities

You make this claim just about every single post. I ask you to explain every single time. You never do. Can you explain why you think this? It makes no sense. Our current system is far more likely to allow a minority to dictate policy than voting by delegable proxy (and ours is pretty good by international standards). It is pretty much the opposite of what you claim - this system ensures that it is the majority that decides.

Quote:
You have such a love of minorities you would do anything to ensure they get their unfair say.

Why do you think they would have an unfair say?

because you continually promote these special olympics types of systems that seek to give representation and power to parties that can scarcely get any votes. the concept of majority is used far too literally by some. if a party scores 48% of the primary vote while its nearest competitor gets 30% then they have won the election fair and square and by a significant margin. all of our ideas want to wring your hands in horror at the 52% who didnt vote for them.

Its really a simple concept in the end. best candidate wins. stop trying to give an artifical leg-up to some trassexual gay polygamy party candidate who gets 1% of the vote and you seem to think deserves representation. you stress about the 52% above but ignore the 99% in this case.

as I said in the last post - points for originality and effort but it is a disaster with more holes than swiss cheese.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #62 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 12:45pm

Quote:
because you continually promote these special olympics types of systems that seek to give representation and power to parties that can scarcely get any votes

This does the opposite. It removes one of the key reasons for the existence of parties.

Quote:
the concept of majority is used far too literally by some. if a party scores 48% of the primary vote while its nearest competitor gets 30% then they have won the election fair and square and by a significant margin.

You appear to think that some wierd concept of 'fairness' towards politicians is more important than representing the will of the people. Democracy is not intended to place politicians above everyone else.

Quote:
all of our ideas want to wring your hands in horror at the 52% who didnt vote for them.

Are you saying you want to take a step backwards to first past the post voting systems?

Quote:
Its really a simple concept in the end. best candidate wins.

How about representing the will of the people? Is that too complicated for you?

Quote:
you stress about the 52% above but ignore the 99% in this case.

No I don't. I have repeatedly explained why you are wrong about this. It seems you are impervious to logic. Remember, I am the one promoting the idea that the majority should dictate policy. You are the one arguing that a well organised minority should have preference.

IP Logged

gold_medal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:10pm

freediver wrote on Jan 18th, 2013 at 12:45pm:
Quote:
because you continually promote these special olympics types of systems that seek to give representation and power to parties that can scarcely get any votes

This does the opposite. It removes one of the key reasons for the existence of parties.

Quote:
the concept of majority is used far too literally by some. if a party scores 48% of the primary vote while its nearest competitor gets 30% then they have won the election fair and square and by a significant margin.

You appear to think that some wierd concept of 'fairness' towards politicians is more important than representing the will of the people. Democracy is not intended to place politicians above everyone else.

Quote:
all of our ideas want to wring your hands in horror at the 52% who didnt vote for them.

Are you saying you want to take a step backwards to first past the post voting systems?

Quote:

Quote:

No I don't. I have repeatedly explained why you are wrong about this. It seems you are impervious to logic. Remember, I am the one promoting the idea that the majority should dictate policy. You are the one arguing that a well organised minority should have preference.

what makes you think that parties are something intrinsically undemocratic and should be gotten rid of? IN a Utopian and utterly theoretical world you might have a point but in the real world, people clump together into groups that share similar beliefs and values eg PARTIES. any attempt to get rid of their influence is pointless and will continue to exist as long as people continue to gather in groups (ie forever).

IP Logged

gold_medal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:14pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

'fairness' is not some concept that is universally agreed on. I for one dont think it is even remotely fair that the person who fell over and came third in a race ends up with the gold medal. while it might be debatable in a race where first and second were seperated by a head, but when the first to break the tape is already in the showers before another runner crosses the line an is still not declared the winer - that is unequivocably unfair.

So dont pretend that 'fair' is defined by you (or me). it is a great deal more complex than that and in a real democracy the will of the people is what counts - which is not the same a a how-to-vote card given to the unaware masses.

IP Logged

gold_medal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:16pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

compared to your solution, YES. Im a fan of the preferential system but I believe there should be a modification that eliminates a candidate if they are more than 10% behind the primary vote winner. In most cases the results are fair but it is never fair when someone gets 48% of the vote and is defeated by someone with 25%. dont bother arguing the point. these are the situations that show the weaknesses of preferential voting.

IP Logged

gold_medal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:18pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

nice try but you are so wrong it is a little silly. the system you propose is completely and utterly unworkable. no elections, no govt that would be guaranteed of remaining longer than a few weeks and no MP would both taking on the job unless they wanted a 4week holiday job which is all their 'term' would be.

it simply does not work.

IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #67 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:25pm

how do you think a crook like bush got in?

electronic votes in florida decide the US pres?

bloodline

many clowns cue the music and dance

to the illusion

many will be leaving that have hardened their heart

mother earth speaks volumes now

and this is vast

be at peace

namaste

-:)

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #68 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:28pm

it simply does not work.

________

and this system works?

Ron Paul Electronic Voting Machines are Rigged Proof ∞ Winning Hearts

court room footage*

this is no longer a frequency match

for this biosphere/planet

the predatory/deceptive ways

and the entities behind these

are not able to exist here

it is so,and so it is

so be it

namaste

« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:39pm by it_is_the_light »  

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #69 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 9:35pm

Quote:
what makes you think that parties are something intrinsically undemocratic and should be gotten rid of?

I don't. I think what you are promoting is inherently undemocratic. It is you who keeps putting the aspirations of political parties ahead of democracy.

Quote:
IN a Utopian and utterly theoretical world you might have a point but in the real world, people clump together into groups that share similar beliefs and values eg PARTIES.

Not everyone does. Most people prefer to think for themselves. Clumping into parties is largely a response to the flaws in our system, not something fundamental to human nature, and certain not something that needs your protection.

Quote:
any attempt to get rid of their influence is pointless and will continue to exist as long as people continue to gather in groups (ie forever)

I am not trying to get rid of them.

Quote:
'fairness' is not some concept that is universally agreed on. I for one dont think it is even remotely fair that the person who fell over and came third in a race ends up with the gold medal. while it might be debatable in a race where first and second were seperated by a head, but when the first to break the tape is already in the showers before another runner crosses the line an is still not declared the winer - that is unequivocably unfair.

I am not debating your concept of fairness, no matter how vacuus it is. Rather I am questioning the relevance of fairness. Democracy is not about the rights of politicians or fairness to politicians. It is about representing the people. By harping on about winners and gold medals and fairness you are completely missing the point. I am not sure how many different ways I can make this point.

Quote:
So dont pretend that 'fair' is defined by you (or me). it is a great deal more complex than that and in a real democracy the will of the people is what counts

So why do you reject the will of the people and replace it with you absurd concepts of fairness to politicians?

Quote:
nice try but you are so wrong it is a little silly. the system you propose is completely and utterly unworkable. no elections

Earlier you were complaining about constant elections. You go from one extreme to the other. The only consistency is that you are confused.

Quote:
no govt that would be guaranteed of remaining longer than a few weeks

IF the people want a stable government they will get it. If they want a new government they will get it. What is guaranteed is that the outcome reflects the will of the people.

Quote:
and no MP would both taking on the job unless they wanted a 4week holiday job which is all their 'term' would be

You are wrong about that too. In fact this is another advantage of this system over other systems. The more popular MPs would have far more stable jobs than under the current system. Howard for example would not have lost his seat on the same day he lost the prime ministership.

Quote:
it simply does not work

Can I at least ask that you make some effort to understand how it works before passing judgement on whether it will work? You have been dissing the idea from the beginning, before you had any clue at all what it even was, apparently before you even read it. You got some strange idea in your head that it is bad because of minor parties or some other silly reason and stopped thinking. If you put half as much effort into trying to understand it as you put into making up stupid arguments against it you would realise that it is actually quite a simple and effective system.

IP Logged

gold_medal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 11:53am

freediver wrote on Jan 18th, 2013 at 9:35pm:
Quote:
what makes you think that parties are something intrinsically undemocratic and should be gotten rid of?

I don't. I think what you are promoting is inherently undemocratic. It is you who keeps putting the aspirations of political parties ahead of democracy.

Quote:
IN a Utopian and utterly theoretical world you might have a point but in the real world, people clump together into groups that share similar beliefs and values eg PARTIES.

Not everyone does. Most people prefer to think for themselves. Clumping into parties is largely a response to the flaws in our system, not something fundamental to human nature, and certain not something that needs your protection.

Quote:
any attempt to get rid of their influence is pointless and will continue to exist as long as people continue to gather in groups (ie forever)

Quote:

I am not debating your concept of fairness, no matter how vacuus it is. Rather I am questioning the relevance of fairness. Democracy is not about the rights of politicians or fairness to politicians. It is about representing the people. By harping on about winners and gold medals and fairness you are completely missing the point. I am not sure how many different ways I can make this point.

Quote:
So dont pretend that 'fair' is defined by you (or me). it is a great deal more complex than that and in a real democracy the will of the people is what counts

So why do you reject the will of the people and replace it with you absurd concepts of fairness to politicians?

Quote:
nice try but you are so wrong it is a little silly. the system you propose is completely and utterly unworkable. no elections

Earlier you were complaining about constant elections. You go from one extreme to the other. The only consistency is that you are confused.

Quote:

IF the people want a stable government they will get it. If they want a new government they will get it. What is guaranteed is that the outcome reflects the will of the people.

Quote:
and no MP would both taking on the job unless they wanted a 4week holiday job which is all their 'term' would be

You are wrong about that too. In fact this is another advantage of this system over other systems. The more popular MPs would have far more stable jobs than under the current system. Howard for example would not have lost his seat on the same day he lost the prime ministership.

Quote:
it simply does not work

Can I at least ask that you make some effort to understand how it works before passing judgement on whether it will work? You have been dissing the idea from the beginning, before you had any clue at all what it even was, apparently before you even read it. You got some strange idea in your head that it is bad because of minor parties or some other silly reason and stopped thinking. If you put half as much effort into trying to understand it as you put into making up stupid arguments against it you would realise that it is actually quite a simple and effective system.

the highlighted bit probably is the real clue as to why you think your model is a good one. You belive intrinsically in the inteliigence and individual thinking of people... to quote from my fav movie (Galaxy Quest).. "What are you? an infant?" As a rule people do not think on every topic. they absorb opinoins from others in their peer group except in matters of their deepest importance. Thats how real life operates. Voting is the same. There is very little real thiking that goes on. Even swinging voters are not really thinkers. They are mainly either people who will vote for whoevers offers them the most reward or the group that changes their mind regularly for little real reason.

You are overthinking this and trying to imagine everyone is like you and actually cares about govts and policy. if everyone did that your model MIGHT have a chance but in the absence of that, no chance at all.

IP Logged

gold_medal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 11:55am

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
it simply does not work

Gangs. Clubs, Socali groups. Peer groups. Political parties. activist groups. special interest groups.

EVERYONE GROUPS TOGETHER. even our so-called independent MPs have grouped together into two sections.

IP Logged

gold_medal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 11:59am

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
it simply does not work

now you are just silly. You seem to live in a very unreal world. 'stable govt' is govt that can actually EXIST despite the ebb and flow of popular (and uninformed) opinion. Your system would make it impossible for a govt to make a necessary yet unpopular decision. absolutely and utterly unpopular. Taxes need to be increased??? never happen. taxes lowered to unsustainable levels?  pass every time.

IP Logged

gold_medal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 12:02pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
it simply does not work

'popular' meaning voting in support of any idiotic plan that may be supported by the handful of idiots that drive the process.

And men of principle like Howard wouldnt last a moment. Can you imagine a GST passing in such a system?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #74 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 1:46pm

GM, would it be reasonable to say that you have given up criticisng anything specific to my plan and instead have retreated to vague criticisms of the principle of democracy as 'mob rule'?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print