Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 58
Send Topic Print
What does it mean to be a Christian these days ? (Read 70216 times)
Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

What does it mean to be a Christian these days ?
Jan 4th, 2013 at 11:21pm

Does anyone know ??

Here's my definition of a Christian,

A Christian is an arrogant fool which turns up at the same place and at the same time every Sunday paying an even bigger fool to read them fairy tales out of an old book written some 2000 years ago by an even bigger fool or fools !!

Sound familiar ? I think we all know somebody that fits that description here. Hey longloser do you copy Grin Grin Grin

« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2013 at 11:32pm by Sir lastnail »  

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: What does it mean to be a Christian these days ?
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 11:29pm

Hi Nail,
My definition -

They believe in the devil:

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 4:35am

Its pretty silly. I dont see how adult humans can believe that stuff. In fact I reckon most of them dont - they just pretend to for some weird reason. The ones i know certainly dont act like their "saviour". In fact i expect if jesus were to appear today they would kill him or throw him in jail or beat him up or something. It would certainly be the xtians that would be calling him names and persecuting him.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 5:52am

To be fair, they are brainwashed into believing that stuff in the bible. No, very few follow the readings if it means putting themselves out a bit. They are 100% Christian at church but that's as far as it goes, by the time they get home they're just like all the rest of us, unless a church person should call, then they revert back to the 'holier than thou' image.

I can imagine longy at church, a fine example of the perfect Christian man, loving, caring, forgiving and joyful, then he comes on here all week calling everyone an idiot and a liar.

Christians should have to be tattooed on their forehead so we can keep an eye on them, just to make sure they're good all the time.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 5:59am

You have it in for Christianity though don't you?
Every time on a subject which includes Christianity you criticize it and take the opposing view for the sake of it.

The view I have is that Christians are good people, they are fine to believe what they like.

If you don't then fine but why the need to criticize and attack them for their view?

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 6:10am

its hard to understand religious beliefs or indeed, anyones "vision of reality"
without understanding their "security operations"

what are security operations.

harry stack sullivan , the famous behavioural psychologist, defined them as a set of beliefs which help us make sense of the world and which prevent our minds descending into chaos.

now the truth is, if you have no beliefs at all, and your mind is chaotic, this is a frightening experience, almost a panic of the mind.

so from a very young age , most people will develop a fixed idea about many, most or all things.
they then become quite inflexible in their thinking.

why??

because if they give up their vision or "security operation' , they will experience , for some period of time, chaos.

you could liken this to crossing a raging river by jumping between each stone.  whilst on each stone there is no movement (stagnation) but their is security.
to move forward and experience CHANGE has to cause a brief period of stress, chaos, danger.
many people will not make this step.

this includes both christians who refuse to let in any new information and are therefore trapped in a limited world vision

and aetheists who refuse to let in any information and are so trapped ina limited world vision.

but make no mistake , EVERYONE has a world vision whether it be

the world is do eat dog  or
make as much money as you can or
people should be trusted or
dont trust anyone or
try to experience a beautiful forrest
or a forrest is just a pile of timber to cut down.

and these visions come from our parents, peers and educators froma very early age.

so what of christianity.??

is it a "healthy world vision"
forget those who practice the 'heresy" that has become prosperity christianity or judgemntal chritianity.

what did christ say and would belief in his world vison be worthwhile in terms of creating"peace and happiness"

its probably quite a healthy vision in many respects.

john paul getty when asked to write his autobiography.
wrote the following

john paul getty became a billionaire.
that was it. he refused for anything more to be published Grin Grin

a good world vison??

jesus through his actions

loved the poor
helped the beaten up on the side of the road.
said to forgive others
blessed the peacemakers
went to the lepers when others wouldnt
associated with prostitutes
drove out the money lenders
suffered greatly and bore his cross without complaint
when dying , was still concerned for the thief next to him
said 'greater love has no man than to lay down his life for his friends"

not a bad world vision.
i quite like it and combine it with buddhism which i consider very similar but not as damaged by evil things done in its name.

is there a god, is there a lheaven,
probably not

doesnt mean that discounting the christian world vision is a sensible thing to do.

it may be a better source of happiness and peace than foxtel . certainly worth experiencing a bit of chaos to have a think about.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 6:14am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 5:59am:
You have it in for Christianity though don't you?
Every time on a subject which includes Christianity you criticize it and take the opposing view for the sake of it.

The view I have is that Christians are good people, they are fine to believe what they like.

If you don't then fine but why the need to criticize and attack them for their view?

I am simply stating how they are perceived by the wider community. Ok?

There is nothing wrong with criticising Christian folk, they should take any criticism on board and review it, in case it's correct.

I don't really care what they believe, just saying most of them are hypocrites and I know first hand because I was part of the nodding heads brigade for a while, until I realised it was fake.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 7:10am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 5:59am:

For the sake of what?

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 8:07am

For the sake of just having a pop at Christians.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #9 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 8:34am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 8:07am:
For the sake of just having a pop at Christians.

But thats the topic

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #10 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 8:37am

The topic is just to give Christians a kicking for the sale of it?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 8:57am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 8:37am:
The topic is just to give Christians a kicking for the sale of it?

You'll have to ask Nail.

To me it's more an anti-religious topic.
Many of us believe that such dark age beliefs could destroy our world if left unchecked.

forgiven
namaste

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:19am

Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 4th, 2013 at 11:21pm:
Does anyone know ??

A Christian is an arrogant fool which turns up at the same place and at the same time every Sunday paying an even bigger fool to read them fairy tales out of an old book written some 2000 years ago by an even bigger fool or fools !!

Sound familiar ? I think we all know somebody that fits that description here. Hey longloser do you copy Grin Grin Grin

An interesting observation of Christianity is, though, the concept of charity is still alive and well. It is Christian organisations feeding and clothing the homeless and poor. Can you name any secular organisation (government handouts do not count) that does such things?

It is very interesting that while atheist left-leaning intellectuals claim to be the representation of 'equality' and 'egalitarianism', and paint Christians as 'stupid' and 'evil' fools, you do not see any atheist organisations clothing and feeding the homeless and poor.

There is something in that the average Joe should think about.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #13 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:41am

I can't see much point in identifying as a "christian" these days.  Your christian principles have been sold out and bastardised so they are barely recognisable from those of the church of liberalism - yet they still draw relentless criticism from those same liberals who they are basically carbon copies of.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:41am

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:19am:
Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 4th, 2013 at 11:21pm:
Does anyone know ??

An interesting observation of Christianity is, though, the concept of charity is still alive and well. It is Christian organisations feeding and clothing the homeless and poor. Can you name any secular organisation (government handouts do not count) that does such things?

It is very interesting that while atheist left-leaning intellectuals claim to be the representation of 'equality' and 'egalitarianism', and paint Christians as 'stupid' and 'evil' fools, you do not see any atheist organisations clothing and feeding the homeless and poor.

There is something in that the average Joe should think about.

That is their saving grace. That's what they're here on earth for, it's the main feature of their job description.

What other organisations so religiously pass the plate around?

If they didn't feed the poor, what excuse would they have for tithing? They don't use it all for feeding the poor, do they?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 58
Send Topic Print