Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 58
Send Topic Print
What does it mean to be a Christian these days ? (Read 70218 times)
Gold Member

WA
Re: What does it mean to be a Christian these days ?
Reply #15 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:43am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:41am:
If they didn't feed the poor, what excuse would they have for tithing? They don't use it all for feeding the poor, do they?

I'm sure the poor don't care, so long as they get fed.  But any excuse will do, eh?

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Peter Freedman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Wellington
Reply #16 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:49am

In my experience there are two groups of Christians.

One group express their religion loudly. Go to church every Sunday and treat people likke sh#t for the rest of the week.

The other group may or may not attend worship. They just spend their lives quietly living the Christian message, going out of their way to help others whenever they can.

God grant me the patience to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and, above all, the wisdom to tell the difference.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:52am

... wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:43am:
If they didn't feed the poor, what excuse would they have for tithing? They don't use it all for feeding the poor, do they?

I'm sure the poor don't care, so long as they get fed.  But any excuse will do, eh?

Since you mentioned it, they are big on excuses, the Christian churches make excuses for all kinds of scandalous behaviour.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #18 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:53am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:52am:

Since you mentioned it, they are big on excuses, the Christian churches make excuses for all kinds of scandalous behaviour.

Do they?  I've heard of cathloics making excuses....but to what others do you refer to?

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #19 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:54am

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:19am:
Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 4th, 2013 at 11:21pm:
Does anyone know ??

Here's my definition of a Christian,

A Christian is an arrogant fool which turns up at the same place and at the same time every Sunday paying an even bigger fool to read them fairy tales out of an old book written some 2000 years ago by an even bigger fool or fools !!

Sound familiar ? I think we all know somebody that fits that description here. Hey longloser do you copy Grin Grin Grin

An interesting observation of Christianity is, though, the concept of charity is still alive and well. It is Christian organisations feeding and clothing the homeless and poor. Can you name any secular organisation (government handouts do not count) that does such things?

It is very interesting that while atheist left-leaning intellectuals claim to be the representation of 'equality' and 'egalitarianism', and paint Christians as 'stupid' and 'evil' fools, you do not see any atheist organisations clothing and feeding the homeless and poor.

There is something in that the average Joe should think about.

What a load of crap. There arent any "atheist organisations" because it is just the lack of belief in a deity.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #20 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:58am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:54am:
Does anyone know ??

A Christian is an arrogant fool which turns up at the same place and at the same time every Sunday paying an even bigger fool to read them fairy tales out of an old book written some 2000 years ago by an even bigger fool or fools !!

Sound familiar ? I think we all know somebody that fits that description here. Hey longloser do you copy Grin Grin Grin

An interesting observation of Christianity is, though, the concept of charity is still alive and well. It is Christian organisations feeding and clothing the homeless and poor. Can you name any secular organisation (government handouts do not count) that does such things?

It is very interesting that while atheist left-leaning intellectuals claim to be the representation of 'equality' and 'egalitarianism', and paint Christians as 'stupid' and 'evil' fools, you do not see any atheist organisations clothing and feeding the homeless and poor.

What a load of crap. There arent any "atheist organisations" because it is just the lack of belief in a deity.

SOB

Still repeating this drivel.   Roll Eyes

Well, you see if these "atheists" actually gave a poo about feeding the poor, they could start a "feeding the poor" organisation, rather than an "atheist organisation".  But they don't.   Angry Because for them, preening and puffing is better than action.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:58am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 5:59am:
You have it in for Christianity though don't you?
Every time on a subject which includes Christianity you criticize it and take the opposing view for the sake of it.

The view I have is that Christians are good people, they are fine to believe what they like.

If you don't then fine but why the need to criticize and attack them for their view?

so you think longloser is a good person just because he believes the rubbish written in some old book and turns up at the same place each Sunday Grin

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #22 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 10:07am

... wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:58am:
Does anyone know ??

SOB

Well, you see if these "atheists" actually gave a poo about feeding the poor, they could start a "feeding the poor" organisation, rather than an "atheist organisation".  But they don't.   Angry Because for them, preening and puffing is better than action. 

But they do - they just dont advertise any religion

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 10:08am

and how much of what they receive actually goes to the needy and how much do they stash away in bank vaults and property deals ?

See what the bible says about hoarding treasures Wink

Quote:
Matthew 6:19

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Quote:
Debt crisis could cost charities millions

ALMOST a year after the subprime debt crisis emerged in the United States, the same financial products which have exposed NSW councils to hundreds of millions of dollars in potential losses are threatening charities, churches, children's hospitals, nursing homes and dozens of councils across the nation.

Gosford City Council is one of the worst affected: it faces having a $74 million portfolio wiped out.

The Herald has obtained information about the Australian accounts and investments of the Wall Street investment bank Lehman Brothers, which shows St Vincent De Paul Society, the Starlight Children's Foundation, the Boystown charity for underprivileged children, and the Anglican, Baptist, Uniting and Catholic churches all hold structured finance products. Many may now be worthless.

Lehman was the most active promoter of collateralised debt obligations (CDOs), a complex "derivative" product whose underlying assets were US mortgages and vehicle and credit-card debts all packaged in a high-yield security.

They were marketed with Australian names such as Federation, Tasman, Parkes, Flinders, Kokoda, Kiama and Torquay. But despite the marketing spiel that the diversity of underlying mortgages made for a safe investment, the toxic loans in them contaminated the entire market for the products, leaving no buyers.

The National Australia Bank recently wrote down the value of its CDO portfolio by $1 billion, or 90 per cent. Most of the charities and councils which hold CDOs are yet to make writedowns, and thereby concede they will incur losses. But there are no buyers. Some councils contacted by the Herald said they had not written down the value of their CDOs as they were still producing income.

Despite a $4.8 billion profit handed down by the Commonwealth Bank early this week and the generally robust financials of Australia's big banks, hundreds of smaller financial institutions, charities, super funds and government bodies have been weakened by their exposure to fancy structured finance products.

Besides Gosford's $74 million portfolio of CDOs, Hurstville had $25.5 million, according to figures leaked to the Herald; the St Vincent de Paul Society has funds under management with Lehman, which mostly comprise structured finance assets of $8.9 million; the travel group Flight Centre $55.7 million; Charles Sturt University $17.5 million; Metro Ambulance Services $30.5 million.

Twenty councils are preparing a class action against Lehman Brothers to recover their losses, including Armidale, Blaney, Deniliquin, Gilgandra, Kiama, Narribri, Parkes, Walcha, Wingecarribee and Port Macquarie.

Of the charities and councils contacted by the Herald, none have been affected in an operational sense, as they are still getting interest payments. The State Government has given councils tougher investment guidelines and is monitoring the situation.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/debt-crisis-could-cost-charities-millions/20...

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 10:09am

... wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:53am:

Do they?  I've heard of cathloics making excuses....but to what others do you refer to?

Anglicans, Church of God, Salvation Army, Baptist and I daresay most other denominations. It will all come out in the Royal Commission, but we don't want to go over that argument here, there's a thread for that already.

Google it for yourself, there's a good boy.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #25 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 10:09am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 10:07am:
Does anyone know ??

SOB

SOB

I've never seen the salvos advertise religion.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 10:10am

they do when they pay taxes just like anyone else Wink

foreign aid and social welfare comes from taxes Wink

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #27 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 10:10am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 10:09am:
... wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:53am:

Anglicans, Church of God, Salvation Army, Baptist and I daresay most other denominations. It will all come out in the Royal Commission, but we don't want to go over that argument here, there's a thread for that already.

Google it for yourself, there's a good boy.

I shouldn't need to google for myself since you made the claim so presumably had something to back it up.
Or am I expecting too much of you again?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #28 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 10:10am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 10:07am:
Does anyone know ??

SOB

SOB

Spot do you remember making silly excuses in another thread recently for why religious people donate far more to charity than atheists?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #29 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 10:11am

Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 10:10am:

they do when they pay taxes just like anyone else Wink

foreign aid and social welfare comes from taxes Wink

Foreign aid doesn't help the bums living under bridges and in cars.  Christian organisations do.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 58
Send Topic Print