makes the system less democratic    
  8 (40.0%)
has no effect on democracy    
  6 (30.0%)

Total votes: 20
« Created by: muso on: Jan 5th, 2013 at 3:45pm »

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 
Send Topic Print
Campbell Newman to scrap compulsory voting in QLD (Read 90511 times)
gold_medal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Campbell Newman to scrap compulsory voting in QLD
Reply #345 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 3:04pm

BigOl64 wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 2:31pm:
gold_medal wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 12:56pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:14am:
gold_medal wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 7:04am:
do you know of a singel example of religious freedom having been denied in Australia? Like I said earlier the USSR and China have constitutions guaranteeing the right to practice religion of choice. I wil aplaud the country (ours!) that practices freedom rathe than those that write it on a peice of paper and then ignore it.

But where is it written down?

Like I said I'm more than happy to totally agree with us being the world's best at human rights if you can shown me where any of our rights actually exist; otherwise they are nothing more than obligations and privileges to be doled out  by a benevolent master.

the whole point of the argument that you refuse to accept is that rights codified on a scrap of paper are worthless without a strong judiciary and community that upholds them and needless in one that does.

Wrong yet again longy, it must be an innate character trait

Never said or implied anything of the sort.

I will say the regardless of the judiciary or the community feeling on the matter, if the rights aren't known (codified) they aren't upheld (in existence).
You have never once been able to show any reference to any right or freedom we supposedly have in this country and you continually crap on how fvcken great they are.

They don't exist if they are not written down somewhere for all to see, you know like in real democracies.

so we have no rights because they arent in existence and arent upheld?

not the best argument you've ever made.

IP Logged

gold_medal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #346 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 4:05pm

BigOl64 wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 2:38pm:
gold_medal wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 12:58pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:20am:
gold_medal wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 8:50am:
KJT1981 wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 8:41am:
Part of being Australian is that you have a responsibility to vote.

Why?

Because the Government says you have to???

because the blood of those of past generations says so. we honour them and their sacrifice when we vote. When we vote we say that we care enough about our country to not ignore those who died keeping it thus.

I can assure you, no serviceman or woman has willingly sacrificed their life so the government can  force the sheeple of Australia to vote.

Just another load of wank there buddy

are you that dumb?  I'm beginning to think you are.  the ultimate sacrifice was so that Australia could remain free and democratic.

i fail to see your object to voting. Bloody-mindedness and laziness are the only reason I can see and neither are of any value.

it's always nice to get a lecture on military histry form someone how has NEVER served a day in their life.

You have only the laziness insult left now, since I once again showed you haven't a fvcken clue about Australia's lack of human rights and freedoms. Voting being only one small part of our overall draconian system of government.

Thus endeth the lesson (again)

you dont give lessons... you simply rant and rave and pretend that the QLD sun hasnt fried your brain and your personality. it has. Your rudeness and vile responses simply prove that you have no case to put forward.

PS you know nothing of my military record so assume nothing, wannabe.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #347 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 6:39pm

Why?

because the blood of those of past generations says so. we honour them and their sacrifice when we vote. When we vote we say that we care enough about our country to not ignore those who died keeping it thus.

Don't be melodramatic.  They fought for no such thing, and they fought hand in hand with UK and US soliders who don't have compulsary voting.

It's about change. If you tried to change voting from optional to compulsory in the UK, you'd have mass protests and accusations of fascism on a grand scale. If you try to change the system in Australia from compulsory to voluntary, you might very well see the same thing, and Julia Gillard is jumping on the same "headless chook" bandwagon.   

People don't like change.  That's all it is. To some extent, I understand the "if it's not broke, don't try to fix it" point of view, but I'm all for encouraging people to think outside the box. 

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

gold_medal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #348 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 6:56pm

muso wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 6:39pm:

Why?

Don't be melodramatic.  They fought for no such thing, and they fought hand in hand with UK and US soliders who don't have compulsary voting.

It's about change. If you tried to change voting from optional to compulsory in the UK, you'd have mass protests and accusations of fascism on a grand scale. If you try to change the system in Australia from compulsory to voluntary, you might very well see the same thing, and Julia Gillard is jumping on the same "headless chook" bandwagon.   

People don't like change.  That's all it is. To some extent, I understand the "if it's not broke, don't try to fix it" point of view, but I'm all for encouraging people to think outside the box

it isnt melodramatic at all. they fought for our democracy which you lot seem so willing to dilute all for... well buggered if I can work out what is the advantage in voluntary voting besides pandering to the stupid, the lazy and the like.

don't assume that we ARENT thinking outside the box. perhaps some of us have thought about voluntary voting and decided on considerable thinking to reject it. Thinking 'outside the box' isnt intrinsically correct; if anything the opposite is true. An idea has to have considered merit regardless of where it came from.

I still haven't seen a single principled position behind voluntary voting other than the patently stupid accusation that compulsory voting is a breach of human rights. I still see mainly laziness as the motivation and/or a refusal to participate in the democracy we all benefit from.

Most curiously, this is a politics site where people refuse to vote??? what is with that?

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #349 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 7:03pm

I have an interest in politics.

I have not bothered to vote in 4 of the last 5 elections where I have been eligible - mainly because I can't be bothered who wins.

Perfectly fine. It is my right to do so in Britain - something to do with being a western democratic free country....

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #350 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 7:17pm

I have an interest in politics too and I don't always vote. I actually helped the greens out at the polling booth one year and didn't vote, so there goes the 'lazy' tag. Less people will vote, and there will be a lot more informal votes, as people, especially the youth, become disenfranchised with this current lot of pollies.

If either party want important votes, they should do something about the  49.8% youth unemployment in western Sydney.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #351 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 7:22pm

Quote:
it isnt melodramatic at all. they fought for our democracy

retarded.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #352 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 8:20pm

Muso:

Quote:
Go on believing that if you like. It's the old fallacy of discarding information that's not in your favour. The works of Aristotle are "irrelevant" to you. The works of Thomas Jefferson are also irrelevant, as are the courses on political science at universities throughout the world

They are irrelevant to this debate muso. You appear to be arguing that anything improtant to you is relevant to whether voting should be compulsory. Your whole argument is built on drawing absurdly long bows, hence my constant and uinanswered requests to you for explanations about why it is relevant.

Quote:
Once again, freedom is the foundation of democracy AND  democracy is a way of achieving freedom. They are concepts that are intricately woven together. Erode one and you erode the other.

Nice generalisation Muso, but once you get specific, you have a hard time arguing that taking away someone's right to not vote undermines democracy? Is this why you keep escaping to vague arm waving waffle?

Quote:
The Greeks - but how does that affect my argument?  OK, but we're getting a bit off topic here.

Oh really? Who'd have thought that Muso's constant attempts to define demcoracy by Greek standards and to equate the right not to vote with freedom of the press would take people down irrelevant tangents?

Quote:
As you can see, democracies have varying interpretations, and the factor that sorts out the good liberal democracies from the democracies that are in name only, is freedom.

There, he is doing it again.

GM:

Quote:
firstly, it ISNT law nor is it even debated legislation. It is nothing more than a proposed idea that has been rejected by almost everyone and you are using a worst-case scenario. And your bleating about how good Europe is in human rights is a little silly since they are the home of the anti-discrimination legislation you hate so much.

They have even banned certain items of clothing. France puts an extreme version of secularism above freedom.

Quote:
Your 'human rights' are the ones you get to actually enjoy EVERY DAY. BTW the High Court has confirmed that the constitution has a protection of Free Speech in it.  We have a democracy that is regarded as 'among the worlds best and most stable'.

Partly because the outcome does not depend on which minority group gets most wound up on election day.

Hicks:

Quote:
The rest of the developed world also thinks forcing people to vote is absurd.

Argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy.

Quote:
A dictatorship forces people to vote.

So is argument by association.

Quote:
In a free society, if I believe that none of the candidates are any good, I have the option of not getting out of my chair and voting.

But you don't have the option of not being ruled by one of them.

Quote:
Democratic is - if I don't want to vote, then I don't.

I see you also struggle with the meaning of democracy.

Quote:
There is no reason to force people to vote.

Denying the existence of arguments made by your opposition is not the same as rationally countering them.

Quote:
It is why NOBODY has this system, you do realize that.

Do I need to explain why this is wrong Hicks?

Quote:
If I don't want to, then call it lazy if you like

Thanks, we will.

Quote:
What we are arguing is that it is wrong to tell people they have to.

Wow. You must have thought about this for like, 20 seconds.

Bigol:

Quote:
Like I said I'm more than happy to totally agree with us being the world's best at human rights if you can shown me where any of our rights actually exist

Reality isn't good enough for you? You need a piece of paper instead?

Muso:

Quote:

You seem to have missed the point GM was making. He was obviously not implying that they fought for compulsory voting.

Quote:
People don't like change.  That's all it is. To some extent, I understand the "if it's not broke, don't try to fix it" point of view, but I'm all for encouraging people to think outside the box.

You can start by finally explaining the relevance of your argument, beyond vague and meaningless word association games.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #353 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 8:48pm

Pay Freediver and Gold Medal..
both of you have put forward much more logical arguments than the oppo's... even Muso seems bogged down.... knows what he believes but can't really elucidate.

Just because many other 'democracies'  have Voluntary voting, does not make our system wrong. See?  Countries don't get to vote.... so the fact that more have taken one system, does not make a less utilised system undemocratic.

IE there in no world government, upon which single countries vote.

It really does come down to what life is like in the countries, for the voters.
And we are doing OK, in comparison..

No way could I afford to live as I do in the US or the UK.

live every day

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #354 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 9:22pm

My argument is that a good Liberal democracy depends on freedom, which includes rights. Obviously some freedom, such as the freedom to hurt somebody else, is harmful. Optional voting doesn't fall into that category. It hurts nobody.

Arguably the whole purpose of a democracy should be that of freedom, although it works both ways.

One of the recognised measures of the effectiveness of a democracy is that of its participation rate. Any compulsory voting system will mask that measure of effectiveness.

It is obvious to blind Freddy that democracies differ in interpretation, and you don't need a university degree in political science to  understand that. Although it's not a major part of my argument, I have quoted the works of great thinkers such as Aristotle and Thomas Jefferson.

I'm not talking about how the Ancient Greeks introduced democracy as anything particularly special, or the current system in the US for that matter. What counted much more was how the thinkers of the day conceived the system operating.

They dwell to a large extent on the subject of freedom, and you find liberty/ freedom as common recurring themes in the birth of democracies. Liberté, égalité, fraternité was the catchcall of the French republic. You hear a lot more about freedom that about democracy.

Quote:
    A! fredome is a noble thing!
    Fredome mayss man to haiff liking;
    Fredome all solace to man giffis:
    He levys at ess that frely levys!

('Ah! Freedom is a noble thing!
Freedom makes man to have liking:
Freedom all solace to man gives:
He lives at ease that freely lives!)

John Barbour (1316-1395)

You can have freedom without democracy, but you can't have an effective democracy without freedom.

You can also have a democracy with no freedom. These are ineffective democracies - democracies in name only. If you reduce the freedom, you reduce the effectiveness of the democracy - not by very much perhaps, but it is tangible.

I argue that voting, whether voluntary or compulsory makes very little difference. Each has its advantages. This is interestingly enough, mirrored in the poll, which shows that a slight majority are in favour of a voluntary poll, but that on the whole, there is very little difference.

You argue that those people who are forced into a vote will somehow transform the electorate from one dominated by excitable minorities. I argue that the inclusion of people who would rather not be there, does not add any additional rationality to the poll or reduce "excitability" in any way.   

Compulsory voting might be a very slight erosion of freedom, but a little leads to more and more erosion of our freedom.

You can think of a democracy in terms of cold mathematical principles, but it's worthless unless you inject some freedom into that democracy, and take account of the nature of humanity - not cold number crunching - It has always been in the nature of humanity to yearn for freedom. The demo part of "demokratia" or "people-power".

Is it relevant to talk about the inspirations of people in older times when freedom was less universal? I'd argue that it is, because so many people these days take it for granted. If you want to know about freedom, listen to those who hungered for it - yes and fought for it.

It's preposterous to think that by making voting voluntary would catapult us into either the the UK model or the US model, and both are very different systems. Do you really think that would be the case, Jalane?

No, we'd remain uniquely Australian. It's in our nature.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2013 at 9:46pm by muso »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #355 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 9:45pm

Quote:
One of the recognised measures of the effectiveness of a democracy is that of its participation rate. Any compulsory voting system will mask that measure of effectiveness.

Is that the best you can come up with?

Quote:
You can also have a democracy with no freedom. These are ineffective democracies - democracies in name only.

You can have very effective democracy without the right to choose not to vote. Once again your argument boils down to meaningless word association.

Quote:
If you reduce the freedom, you reduce the effectiveness of the democracy - not by very much perhaps, but it is tangible.

This is not the case with compulsory voting. It is the opposite. If you would only move beyond silly word association to the topic at hand we could actually discuss this.

Quote:
I argue that voting, whether voluntary or compulsory makes very little difference.

Can you explain why this is relevant for democracy, but when it comes to freedom you flip this argument on its head?

Quote:
It's preposterous to think that by making voting voluntary would catapult us into either the the UK model or the US model

No, but we would take on the flaws in their democracy that are associated with optional voting.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #356 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 9:51pm

freediver wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 9:45pm:
Quote:

Is that the best you can come up with?

So you think that reducing the transparency of the democratic process is an unsubstantial consideration?

Quote:
This is not the case with compulsory voting. It is the opposite. If you would only move beyond silly word association to the topic at hand we could actually discuss this.

So Democratic Freedom has gone from being a personal invention to a silly word association?  Thomas Jefferson would roll over in his grave.

You see democracy as being the objective. I see democratic freedom as being the objective.  There is a not so subtle difference.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:00pm by muso »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #357 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:13pm

Quote:
So you think that reducing the transparency of the democratic process is an unsubstantial consideration?

It is reducing a proxy measure, that is all. This is no different to all of your other arm waving arguments.

Quote:
So Democratic Freedom has gone from being a personal invention to a silly word association?

Yes, because you use the fact that certain other freedoms are necessary for a functioning democracy to argue that compulsory voting somehow undermines democracy. If you prefer, it is an irrational argument by association.

Quote:
You see democracy as being the objective. I see democratic freedom as being the objective.  There is a not so subtle difference.

I think both freedom and democracy are important. I do not need to confuse the two to get my point across.

IP Logged

Innocent bystander
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #358 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:16pm

Wow 357 posts in this thread so far, I'm going to go back and read them all.

IP Logged

Innocent bystander
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #359 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:17pm

Well that was boring.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 
Send Topic Print