makes the system less democratic    
  8 (40.0%)
has no effect on democracy    
  6 (30.0%)

Total votes: 20
« Created by: muso on: Jan 5th, 2013 at 3:45pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 26
Send Topic Print
Campbell Newman to scrap compulsory voting in QLD (Read 90049 times)
muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Re: Campbell Newman to scrap compulsory voting in QLD
Reply #30 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 9:14pm

Voluntary voting will provide the LNP with an advantage, because in every other country in the world, those voters on the left of politics tend to show the poorest turn out.

On that basis, I can see a tangible economic advantage for Queensland in adopting non compulsory voting as a means of keeping out governments with the financial aptitude of a horde of lemmings.

Apart from that, do we really need a vote from those people who vote only because it's compulsory?
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2013 at 9:33pm by muso »  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 10:36pm

freediver wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:54pm:
Quote:
Unless voting is completely optional then any claim to be called a democracy is a farce.

Oh look, another person who can't tell the difference between democracy and freedom.

What difference does it make ?

You are missing the the point that if I don't think there is anyone worth voting for then I don't won't to waste my time going there and standing in a queue just to vote informal !!

I've got better things to do with my time than to participate in a futile exercise of a make believe democratic process only to see the same old tweedle-dee or tweedle-dumb political party getting voted in once again Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 10:45pm

You could always vote for someone else, or even run yourself.

Your laziness has nothing to do with getting out of bed on Saturday. The problem is you are too intellectually lazy to even think about the differences between the two major parties.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 11:22pm

freediver wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 10:45pm:

Your laziness has nothing to do with getting out of bed on Saturday. The problem is you are too intellectually lazy to even think about the differences between the two major parties.

I don't have to vote for anything if I choose not to. That is a true democracy !!

And it's got nothing to do with laziness. If my local supermarket doesn't carry the brand of breakfast cereal that I like then I don't go to it.

I don't have to go to the supermarket just so they can acknowledge my presence and I walk out with nothing. The end result is the same where I don't have the cereal that I wanted.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #34 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 5:48am

You need a lot of money to run yourself. Chances are you will get the pauline hanson treatment.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #35 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 5:52am

muso wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 9:14pm:
Voluntary voting will provide the LNP with an advantage,

Oh now we see what it is really all about a percieved political advantage, what a surprise.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 6:10am

Many more democracies have non compulsive voting than the other way around. What are we afraid of? That no one will turn up? How embarrassing would that be?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #37 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 6:12am

I agree with Pansi.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 6:19am

I have thought about it, and there's not much difference at all. They are both essentially right wing. I only vote for the lower house so that some Independents or green's might get in to block some of the rubbish.

Both major parties are duds. I'd never vote for a dud even if I am forced to. I have no problem bucking the system if they can't supply the goods.

We will only ever get real change if we stop accepting trashy governments. No one can honestly be happy with either of the major parties as they stand. Question time in parliament is a comedy show.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #39 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 6:27am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 4th, 2013 at 6:10am:
Many more democracies have non compulsive voting than the other way around. What are we afraid of? That no one will turn up? How embarrassing would that be?

We have a better standard than most democracies.

Earlier in the year I watched the US train wreck voting system, they recently had an election result of 5 to 3 in the high court. They held an election and in the end decieded to not bother counting the votes.

In the UK there was an election a few years ago won on something like 20% of the vote. Obviously in the UK a mandate means going out with a bloke.

The biggest impact of non compulsory voting would be an increase in the influence of interest groups and a reduction in the influence of the people.

If a government has the option to spend money on an issue where they may get some votes as opposed to areas where there is nothing for them where do you think most of the cash will end up.

Look at things like the US gun Lobby they are so powerfull that the US can not address a genuine problem which is routinely killing their children.

I see no advantage in going to the lower standard and see potential problems down the track if we take power from the people and give it to minority interest groups.

Like it or not manditory voting makes government at least try to represent all of us.

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #40 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 6:35am

No you don't.

Your voting system is crap to be honest.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 7:03am

CheesySir lastnail wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 11:22pm:

I don't have to vote for anything if I choose not to. That is a true democracy !!

And it's got nothing to do with laziness. If my local supermarket doesn't carry the brand of breakfast cereal that I like then I don't go to it.

I don't have to go to the supermarket just so they can acknowledge my presence and I walk out with nothing. The end result is the same where I don't have the cereal that I wanted.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  good analogy

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #42 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 7:08am

Quote:

You don't get to choose supermarkets in this analogy TNL. That's the problem with analogies isn't it. Like it or not, one of the two major parties is going to win the next election, and pretending you cannot tell the difference between them is nothing more than laziness. There is a difference between saying that both are bad and saying that both are equally bad.

Quote:

Argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy.

Quote:
Both major parties are duds. I'd never vote for a dud even if I am forced to.

If you have to rank all candidates, then you have to choose one of them. This is a good thing.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #43 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 7:11am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 4th, 2013 at 6:35am:
No you don't.

Your voting system is crap to be honest.

You don't need to post this Andrei - we all know your
opinion

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #44 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 7:23am

Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 11:22pm:

Would you vote for Coco Pops, Sugar Frosties, rice bubbles, Nutragrain or sultana bran?

Maybe a polling booth in the supermarkets?

Buy the Rice Bubbles - snap crackle pop - Abbott Hockey Pine. Automatic vote for the Libs recorded at the register.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 26
Send Topic Print