makes the system less democratic    
  8 (40.0%)
has no effect on democracy    
  6 (30.0%)

Total votes: 20
« Created by: muso on: Jan 5th, 2013 at 3:45pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 26
Send Topic Print
Campbell Newman to scrap compulsory voting in QLD (Read 90047 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Campbell Newman to scrap compulsory voting in QLD
Jan 3rd, 2013 at 11:12am

QLD already has a hybrid form of compulsory/optional voting, which causes all sorts of problems:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/optional-preferential-voting.html

Now Campbell Newman wants to make it completely optional. My objections are:

1) Voting is an irrational act, given the personal effort required and the almost certainty that your effort will make no difference to your life (or anyone else's).  If you make it optional, only irrational people vote. Rational people will find more 'productive' uses for their Saturday morning.

2) Voting in a modern democracy should be considered a responsibility, not a right.

3) Making voting optional changes the nature of the political debate. It means politicians become motivational speakers rather than policy debaters. This is because it is more important to preach to the converted than target undecided voters, because you have to get your supporters to turn up and vote. Fear is the biggest motivator, and the politics of fear (of the other party) become more important than rational criticism. Our elections would turn into circuses, like US elections.

PM hits back at Qld compulsory voting plan

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/qld-could-scrap-compulsory-voting/story-fn3dxiwe-1226546911297

THE Prime Minister has used Twitter to attack the Newman government's bid to ask Queenslanders whether compulsory voting should be scrapped for state elections.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has urged her Twitter followers to fight the Newman government's plan.

"Don't let the Liberals make our democracy the plaything of cashed-up interest groups," she posted.

Compulsory voting could be scrapped in Queensland state elections under a Newman government plan to overhaul electoral laws.

Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie has released a discussion paper on possible reforms to be put out for public consultation.

The paper lists the pros and cons of abolishing compulsory voting and highlights other possible reforms, including changes to political donations, how-to-vote cards and political advertising.

It quotes the report of a Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Matters on the 1996 federal election that recommended compulsory voting be abolished so Australia could be considered "a mature democracy".

The report argued that voting could only be considered a 'right' if people could exercise a 'right' not to vote.

Voting in Queensland state elections has been compulsory since 1915.

Mr Bleijie says the discussion paper aims to make the government more accountable.

"Fair and effective electoral laws are central to the promotion of participation in our democracy," he said in a statement on Thursday.

"The options in the discussion paper are not intended to be exhaustive and the government is after a variety of opinions and ideas."

The submission period is open until March 1.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2013 at 1:03pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Campbell Newman to scrap compulsory voting in QLD
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 11:49am

great man campbell.

freeing up one extra saturday for me to go fishing

gee, i love that bloke.

you will too when he's in the lodge. Wink Wink

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 12:11pm

The only reason im against it is because newman wants it - he has to be up to something.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Peter Freedman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Wellington
Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 12:23pm

Newman is well aware that Labor voters are hard workers with families and often work on polling days, making voting a real effort.

Lib voters spend their days beside the swimming pool drinking dry martinis and it is no problem to ask the chauffeur to get the Rolls out of the garage and run them down to the polling booth.

God grant me the patience to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and, above all, the wisdom to tell the difference.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 1:04pm

Peter Freedman wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 12:23pm:
Newman is well aware that Labor voters are hard workers with families and often work on polling days, making voting a real effort.

Lib voters spend their days beside the swimming pool drinking dry martinis and it is no problem to ask the chauffeur to get the Rolls out of the garage and run them down to the polling booth.

That is a very interesting point Peter, one that may well sink this legislation.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 1:50pm

I reckon it's a great idea for the federal as well as the state as it would save me the bother to vote for something you have no control over.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:21pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 12:11pm:
The only reason im against it is because newman wants it - he has to be up to something.

SOB

Newman wants it because people struggling to survive traditionally vote labor ... come voting day given the option of voting or going to work, they'll work. This can be a huge advantage to the libs especially in the seats where the winner is decided by only a handful of votes.

My other concern is if its not compulsary, some bosses will not let workers take a half hour to go and vote. I remember I was working for a guy, election day came around and in the end I had to tell him that he would have to pay the fine .... he kept saying finish this first, then do that before you go and so on ... I made it to the polling booth 15 mins before they closed.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Innocent bystander
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:26pm

Soon you will be able to vote online and half the voters will still think fuggit can't be bothered.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:30pm

actually i hope he extends it along proper business principles.
the most productive people in the state obviously are the biggest shareholders in qld pty ltd.

so farmers, businesses, sole traders get 1 vote for each $50,000 of turnover.

public servants , as net, liabilities to qld pty ltd, get to vote but their votes are then secretly reversed as those on the minus side of the ledger, of course, score a negative vote.

those not working, children and retirees dont count as a negative vote or a positive vote but get to bath in the benevolence of our great leader.(aka  CEO qld pty ltd)

IP Logged

hadrian_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:46pm

Unless voting is completely optional then any claim to be called a democracy is a farce.
Labor demands that it should be compulsory because in normal circumstances it knows its support base will not bother to vote. It is only by dragooning the people to the booths that it feels it will get a reasonable vote, which is very similar to its views on compulsory unionism.

Disclosure: anything I write may be deemed to be extremist, particularly if it is critical of the ALP or Greens. Look away now if squeamish.
Life may be too short, so have a laugh & enjoy.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:54pm

Quote:
Unless voting is completely optional then any claim to be called a democracy is a farce.

Oh look, another person who can't tell the difference between democracy and freedom.

IP Logged

Swagman
Gold Member

Beware of cheap imitations......

Illawarra NSW
Reply #11 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:58pm

That's not true, I don't drink martinis.... Cheesy

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:59pm

Swagman wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:58pm:

That's not true, I don't drink martinis.... Cheesy

your maid drinks them for you, right!

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Peter Freedman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Wellington
Reply #13 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 3:03pm

Well, you are on a hallucinogenic substance then - something must explain your problems.

God grant me the patience to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and, above all, the wisdom to tell the difference.

IP Logged

Swagman
Gold Member

Beware of cheap imitations......

Illawarra NSW
Reply #14 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 3:05pm

Nope schooie of new normally. Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 26
Send Topic Print