Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trolling for mackeral (Read 2487 times)
muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Trolling for mackeral
Dec 8th, 2012 at 8:46am

Can anybody share their experience in trolling for mackeral? Out on the reef many years ago, I got a huge Spanish Mackeral on my line. I was using a handline on drift fishing, and it caught me by surprise. It basically jumped out of the water and spat out the bait.

Now I'd like to have a serious attempt at catching one. Does anybody fish for mackeral around Hervey Bay? I'm looking at spending a week or so in the Hervey Bay/ Fraser Island area.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Re: Trolling for mackeral
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 10:59am

muso wrote on Dec 8th, 2012 at 8:46am:
Can anybody share their experience in trolling for mackeral? Out on the reef many years ago, I got a huge Spanish Mackeral on my line. I was using a handline on drift fishing, and it caught me by surprise. It basically jumped out of the water and spat out the bait.

Now I'd like to have a serious attempt at catching one. Does anybody fish for mackeral around Hervey Bay? I'm looking at spending a week or so in the Hervey Bay/ Fraser Island area.

A few weeks ago I saw a guy catch a mackeral off the long jetty (forget the name) at Hevery Bay on just a fishing rod. It took him about 20 minutes to pull it in. He had a strange looking hook with 3 prongs turned upward. The hook was about the size of a child's hand. He was using some small type of fish for bait.
I don't know the technical details about it all.

IP Logged

bobbythefap1
Gold Member

Listen now to the rain
Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 12:12pm

Live bait over a reef and burley.
You can spend a long time trolling, better to bring them to you.

A day without sunshine is like night.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2012 at 5:40pm

spaniards are very toothy.  i troll for them fairly fast with big lures and even a foot of wire.  halco laser pro deep divers.
any colour but rhe 1/2 red  1/2 white one is popular.

smaller macks like spottys are probably best caught with a 1/2 pilly floated down a burley trail.

if you find bird action . and a schooled up bait ball, if you can match a plastic or a slug to the size of the bait, you have a chance.  need a very rapid wind though.

heres a good spaniard caught off the goldie

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2012 at 6:10pm

aquascoot wrote on Dec 12th, 2012 at 5:40pm:
spaniards are very toothy.  i troll for them fairly fast with big lures and even a foot of wire.  halco laser pro deep divers.
any colour but rhe 1/2 red  1/2 white one is popular.

smaller macks like spottys are probably best caught with a 1/2 pilly floated down a burley trail.

if you find bird action . and a schooled up bait ball, if you can match a plastic or a slug to the size of the bait, you have a chance.  need a very rapid wind though.

heres a good spaniard caught off the goldie

Yeah I figured that I'd have to use some trace. I have caught smaller Atlantic Mackeral in the Adriatic with a bunch of hooks with yellow feathers tied on. If I got a good spot, I'd pull up 6 mackeral at a time.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print