Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tafe Teachers Set To Strike Over Cash Cuts. (Read 416 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Tafe Teachers Set To Strike Over Cash Cuts.
Sep 18th, 2012 at 7:02pm

TAFE teachers set to strike over cash cuts

Date
    September 18, 2012

Benjamin Preiss

TAFE teachers and administration staff will strike for 24 hours from Thursday in protest against the state government's funding cuts to the sector.     Huh

A document leaked to the media last week showed TAFE institutes were preparing for widespread fee increases and potential mergers and campus closures.

The National Tertiary Education Union Victoria TAFE secretary Colin Long said the scale of changes outlined in the document had prompted the plans for stop-work action. "We think it's serious enough that we have to take a stand," he said.

Dr Long said staff from dual-sector institutes, which offer TAFE and university courses, would also join the action.

"The cuts have clearly affected everyone in those institutions."     Sad

The state government has cut an estimated $290 million to the TAFE sector, which funds courses such as hospitality. That figure also includes "full service provider" funding that public institutes used for services, including libraries and disability support.     Sad

However, the government has consistently said it is investing an extra $1 billion over four years in training and areas of skills shortages.

The leaked document summarised TAFE institutes' business transition plans, which outlined their response to the funding changes.

The colleges submitted their transition plans to the TAFE Reform Panel earlier this month.

Thursday's stop-work action will be unprotected. Australian Education Union TAFE president Greg Barclay said protected action was only possible during a bargaining period.

He said TAFE workers from across the state were expected to stop work and travel to Melbourne for a rally at Treasury Gardens. "Yes it will be disruptive but it is nowhere near as disruptive as those transition plans to the TAFE system," he said.     Wink

More to come

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/education/tafe-teachers-set-to-strike-over-cash-cuts-20120918-263i2.html#ixzz26oHWJe00

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Tafe Teachers Set To Strike Over Cash Cuts.
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 9:00pm

I remember when I was doing my painting apprenticeship at Wollongong tafe 15 yrs ago, it was the only Tafe offering painting south of Sydney down to the Vic. border (not counting ACT as it's not NSW) ... an young apprentice in Eden etc would have a 4 hr drive, then have to pay 4 nights accomodation to attend tafe for a 4 days a month for 3 yrs..  how is a young apprentice trying to kick start his life supposed to afford that? .. and they want to cut and merge them further?  no wonder their are skills shortages ....

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 12:17am

looks like the libbos are moving towards a user pays education system but then again that isn't surprising is it Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Guildford
Gold Member

It's Only Me

SE Victoria
Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 7:09am

Nobody will notice

Drop Dead Gorgeous

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print