Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tropical fish in Tasmania (Read 2855 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
tropical fish in Tasmania
Aug 18th, 2012 at 8:13pm

Climate change sees tropical fish arrive in Tasmania

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-17/climate-change-sees-tropical-fish-head-south/4203830

The CSIRO is warning climate change is having a big impact on the country's oceans, with tropical fish turning up as far south as Tasmania.

A major report on oceans and climate change, released today, says the damage under the sea is much clearer than when it released its last report on the subject three years ago.

As well as causing a southern migration, climate change is causing a decline in some temperate fish stocks and ocean acidification is beginning to affect shellfish.

The water at Hobart's Taroona Beach is chillier than what most Australians are used to, but increasingly it is home to northern visitors of the finned variety.

Gretta Pecl runs a website called Redmap, and says that divers and fishers are increasingly documenting a range of sea creatures not normally seen in Tasmanian waters.

"The southerly shift in distribution that we've seen in species has been from a range of species, across the board," she said.

"So some are bony fish, sharks and rays, octopus, lobsters, a whole range of species that are either showing signs of starting to move into Tasmanian waters, or showing up more frequently, and we're yet to establish exactly what that might mean."

Dr Pecl works for the Institute of Marine and Antarctic Studies and the amateur photos are checked out by scientists.

Professor David Booth, a marine ecologist at Sydney's University of Technology who contributed to the report, said the institute's findings are supported by the CSIRO report.

"Tropical reef fish are actually making an appearance," he said.

"Our long-term studies, over at least a decade, have showed the number of tropical species very much year-to-year, but in those strong east Australian current years they're more prevalent.

"Over the last 30 or 40 years we're seeing many more tropical species down toward Sydney and down in Tasmania than we did before."

'Unprecedented' change

The report found the range of temperature rise varied dramatically, with the east coast of Tasmania and parts of Western Australia hardest hit.

Overall the rise in sea surface temperature is about one degree centigrade over the last century.

However, Professor Booth says snorkelers should not be too excited about the changing underwater world.

"In this case the rapidity of the change is probably fairly unprecedented," he said.

"Now everyone is probably thinking what's wrong with having some lovely tropical species down here, but the flip side, of course, is firstly any interaction with normal species and then independent of the colder water species not being able to live as far north and in my home state of New South Wales could really have a risk of a loss of fisheries."

The CSIRO believes climate change will continue to alter the seas.

Dr Pecl said there are plans for a national launch of the Redmap website.

"From the end of November, we will be launching across Australia," she said.

"Fishers and divers from all over the country will be able to submit sightings of species that we think are unusual and we get those checked out by a scientist."

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

rabbitoh07
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: tropical fish in Tasmania
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 8:53pm

Climate change is crap.

Tony Abbot told me so.

I so look forward to the time when Tony "Climate Change is Crap" Abbott can do to Australia what Campbell Newman is currently doing to Queensland.

Our country is safe in such good, intelljent hands.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 6:41pm

Giant kelp forests granted endangered status

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-19/giant-kelp-forests-listed-as-endangered/4208174

The Federal Government has listed the giant kelp forests near Tasmania, Victoria and South Australia as endangered.

Under the listing, the giant kelp are considered an endangered ecological community.

Any projects which could impact on the forests will now require assessments under national environment law.

Giant kelp are mainly found from Eddystone Point in north-east Tasmania, and along the state's east coast as far down as Port Davey in the south-west.

Federal Environment Minister Tony Burke says the move will ensure better protection for the forests, which are being threatened by warming oceans, invasive species and human activity on coastlines.

Greens Senator Peter Whish-Wilson has warned the marine forests will remain under threat unless further action is taken to address climate change.

"Everything helps in a situation like this but my understanding is that global warming and rising sea temperatures are the key problems for kelp," he said.

"So unless we address the gases that cause global warming and take effective action on climate change, no listing in the world is going to help kelp forests."

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 9:56am

We just had our first Algae (pink) Bloom along NSW in some parts.
Not a good sign.
Maybe due to lack of oxygen in the water>? Huh

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Megan Belle

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 12:16am

Tropical is the speciality of Tasmania as I know. It's taste is just superb and awsome if you try it at the beach. Also remind the rules of camping like cleaning and quality items.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 2:48pm

Not very specific as to the "types" of tropical fish encountered.

When they are getting Coral Trout, Red Throat/Grassy Sweetlip, Hussar, Red & Spangled Emperor, Fingermark etc. then I'll be convinced.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print