Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
impotence vs benign intent (Read 3989 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
impotence vs benign intent
Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:12am

Spot asked a good question here:

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 at 6:27am:
freediver wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 6:59pm:
I am not 'being a dick' spot. I am trying to explain some incredibly simple concepts to you. For some reason, despite explaining them 100 times, you are still oblivious to them. The most obvious one is the difference between what someone wants and what they are capable of achieving. Either you are incapable of understanding the difference, or for some reason you are deliberately lying about what Abu wants. He wants the death penalty for apostasy. He wants Shariah law for Australia. He wants to destroy democracy. He wants to deny people basic freedom and human rights. But for some reason all he has to do is point out that he is incapable of achieving these changes and you jump up and down like a lapdog telling everyone that he does not even want it. Why is it so hard for you to understand? Or do you not want to understand?

You are explaining that I should hate abu because you do.

Who cares what he wants? Lots of ppl want lots of things. Yadda wants all palestinians to be killed "pushed into the sea" yet this is acceptable to you? Lots of ppl want lots of things. If they cant do it and they know they cant do it how is it a problem? That is *if* its even true. Because of your track record I dont take your word for anything.

Also - the sum total of "democracy" in australia is voting. Thats it. Just so you realise you are using yank propaganda slogans.

SOB

The context, so that Spot doesn't accuse me of misrepresenting by leaving it out:

Abu has been busy lately trying to pass off his impotence as benign intent. He has used his inability to overthrow the Australian government as a reason why we should not discuss what he actually wants to do and should only discuss his inability to do it. Spot caught onto this and started insisting that Abu said he did not want the things he was unable to achieve (eg Shariah law imposed on everyone), but now he seems to be catching on to the difference.

So onto the question of what is wrong with it - eg what is wrong with wanting to destroy democracy, take away people's freedom and human rights, stone them to death for thought crimes etc, in the context of being unable to achieve it.

The answer boils down to this: the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. There are 100 different ways to answer this question, but they are just different ways of saying this same thing.

Some examples:

Politics is highly non-linear. It tends to follow a pattern of long periods of mind numbing stagnation interrupted by short periods of 'interesting times'. Democracy has  partly corrected this, but only partly. What this means is that although we appear to live in a stable country that is free of revolution, war etc, it would be naive to assume that this will always be the case, even within our lifetime.

Attitudes like spot's, where we should refrain from criticising extremists on the grounds that they are extremists will help to bring about the 'interesting times'. Suppose Australia were to get invaded one day. It is extremists like Abu and their recruits who would support the invaders in the hope that the outcome is more like what they want.

Another simple explanation is that openly criticising these people makes it harder for them to recruit more extremists. This principle is deeply ingrained in our communal psyche when it comes to most religious and political extremists, but for some reason it has been turned on it's head for Muslims. I suspect this is down to the skill with which they play the victim card and switch between their political and relgious hats.

Another reason is that not criticising these people validates their views and makes it more likely that they will turn to violence to achieve their goals. Such violence may be politically impotent and counter productive, but it is violent nonetheless. It is much simpler to counter extremism with worlds now than to wait until we have to counter it more forcefully.

Another good example is that not criticisng them makes it a whole lot easier for them to fool people. Abu and spot are a great example. Without open and frank criticism of them both, spot would have come away thinking he had had an honest discussion with Abu and that Abu had told him he did not want Shariah law, did not want to destroy freedom and democracy, did not want to stone apostates to death etc. The truth itself is the first victim, and it can only go downhill from there.

Saying we should not criticise extremists is just as stupid as saying we should refrain from criticising politicians. Their impotence is balanced by their extremism. To attempt to equate the threats they pose (as spot does with religions) is childish, but they are both threats that need to be countered in a civilised society.

When it comes to Islam specifically, the threat of violence is already genuine. We have had Bali, which counter to spots insistence, did target Australians. We have had plenty of home grown violent jihadis recently, many of whom ended up in jail. If spot had had his way, the police would have turned away on the grounds that the threat does not even exist until after they have blown themselves up on a bus.

Australia is currently in two long wars against Islamic extremism. We are attempting to establish democracy in Iraq and Afghanistan. Being a democracy, our foreign policy is dependent on public opinion. If the public is fooled into thinking that people like Abu, and the citizens of Iraq and Afghanistan he often claims to speak on behalf of, want democracy, we may end up supporting the very people who want to destroy democracy and replace it with a very real Shariah hell. Abu frequently attempts to pass of the extremists as being both benign and respresenting the will of the majority in these places. There are very clear and very real outcomes from letting such lies go unchallenged.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Re: impotence vs benign intent
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:23am

Quote:
Attitudes like spot's, where we should refrain from criticising extremists on the grounds that they are extremists will help to bring about the 'interesting times'.

You are really a master troll arent you. Stop lying. Stop trying to misrepresent me. Stop your "bearing false witness on your neighbour". Why? Why should you? Because according to your book you will go to hell. Just worried about your welfare.

Meanwhile i have never said not to criticise extremists. I have said that the mainstream is benign. If i apply your stupid criteria to religion I would spend all my time hating everyone and i havent got time inclination or BP for that.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:43am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:23am:
Meanwhile i have never said not to criticise extremists.

You say it all the time spot.

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 6:05am:
The thing is though with all this fear campaign against the muslims isnt it like poking a hornets nest with a stick? Comon stop playing into it. the ppl that treat them like they are poo are the ones making them angry.
SOB

Quote:
I havent "come to their defence" I have told you to stop using them as examples in discussions with me and trying to make me judge them when I dont know enough about those particular individual ppl to do so.

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 11:17am:
I suggest we leave them alone. Stop provoking them.. There arent enough here to cause problems even if they were inclined.

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 12:05pm:
The extremists try to. And nobody has poked the KKK in a while. when they are poked they are pretty nasty.

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 8:25am:
I would prolly say the same thing if you were picking on jews or xtians. they arent ALL like that. We have to live with them. If we poke them with a stick they are going to get riled (any religion) so perhaps the media and governments (and militaries) should stop poking them.

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 18th, 2012 at 9:18am:
Quote:
Think about what you are saying. Stop posting on autopilot. Maybe even try explaining why you think we should self censor in the face of extremism?

I have never said you should self-censor.

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 18th, 2012 at 9:18am:
I do however know about you. You are a liar. A misrepresenting liar. So i take anything you say about them with a grain of salt.

SOB

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 18th, 2012 at 1:07pm:
Quote:
Quote:
I have never said you should self-censor.

You say it all the time spot.

Nope

Quote:
Why shouldn't I use them as examples? They are ideal examples because if you disagree with me you can ask them. We don't have to make do with a few selected media snippets of things they have said and it is much harder for you to stick your head in the sand and plead ignorance when it is right there in front of you.

For some reason you dont want to know what I am saying and are self censoring it in your head. Either that or you are lying.

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 19th, 2012 at 8:25am:
Quote:
It's been the same question from the beginning Spot. Should we self censor in case we make Muslims angry? Are you saying the media alone should self censor? Why do you keep running from this simple question?

Obviously what i mean was what i said if the media provokes them but targeting them all the time they will get angry wont they. Wouldn't you if you were being targeted all the time?

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 19th, 2012 at 8:25am:
Quote:
like the self censorship stuff.

No you said that. You misrepresent and quote out of context.

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 19th, 2012 at 6:26pm:
I never said anything about "self censorship" you lying liar.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 9:21am

Nowhere in any of that do i say not to criticise "extremists". I am saying you shouldn't be on such a campaign about muslims in general when  the mainstream are not extremists.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 9:41am

Spot it is you who has a campaign of generalisations.

So why did you attempt to pass off Abu's confessions of impotence as benign intent?

Is Abu mainstream or an extremist?

Why are you claiming it is not a problem until he is capable of achieving it? Do you acknowledge the need to confront people who want to destroy democracy and human rights, or do you still think we should ignore the problem and hope it goes away?

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 10:31am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 at 9:21am:
Nowhere in any of that do i say not to criticise "extremists". I am saying you shouldn't be on such a campaign about muslims in general when  the mainstream are not extremists.

SOB

Not changing the goalposts are we?

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 12:02pm

No spot, at the moment the goal is to get you to realise there is a difference between what Abu wants and what he is capable of achieving. It has been pretty easy for him to fool you so far, but you are learning, slowly. You were insisting for a long time that you know what Abu wants. Now you seem to realise that you were fooled and you are denying you ever said those things. Like I said, you should own what you say:

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 at 10:16am:
freediver wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 at 9:35am:
You have claimed many times to know what Abu wants, when he clearly fooled you into getting it completely backwards. You said it spot, own it or retract it. Don't pretend you did not say it. I can quote you if you want.

No i did not. I only know what he said when he answered my question. What is your problem.

SOB

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 10:02am:
No I saw him say that but he also said he didnt care if australia has its democracy.

Abu did not actually say that.

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 1:40pm:
Some muslims may want sharia law for themselves and their families and maybe even their country (that would be extreme though) but abu pretty much said to me that he isnt working towards this goal.

Yes spot he tricked you into believing that's what he thinks, but again, he did not actually say it.

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 6th, 2012 at 6:20am:
Abu is not personally trying to bring it about. I had thought he was a radical from all the crap you have been saying about him but he may just be a normal religious person. Unlike Yadda and avram who want to kill all palestinians.

Is it mainstream normal Islam to want to destroy democracy and freedom and stone apostates to death?

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 8th, 2012 at 5:51am:
As i have said many times all religions want to impose themselves on ppl. There is no danger of sharia law in australia and abu has said that he is not try8ing to impose it here because he realises theres no way it will happen. Are jews trying to impose their OT laws on  ppl here? No? Why not?

Some muslims in australia (i dont know if abu is one) would like sharia law for themselves and their community but they arent allowed to. that is as far as it goes.

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 9th, 2012 at 6:36am:
He said he didnt want sharia law in australia.

No he did not Spot. He fooled you.

Because i know you take things out of context and misrepresent ppl and he denies it. If he denies it he must not think it. You are @ fault here.

He did not actually deny it Spot. It is called a strawman. It is a simple tactic to fool gullible people. He denied something of his own invention, not what he was actually accused of.

I did not ask about overseas. I think if islamic countries want sharia law then they will have it. As he explained they dont and they dont.

Abu has never claimed that Islamic countries do not want Shariah law. He claims the opposite all the time. He just likes to reinforce your delusions wherever it suits him.

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 9th, 2012 at 6:46am:
No. They want to impose it on themselves not all australians.

Here spot even attempts to claim that Abu does not follow the Koran:

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 9th, 2012 at 11:12am:
You are quoting his book. I quote your book. He doesnt follow his and you dont follow yours. They both say ppl should be killed for apostasy.

Abu is one person.

Not that it matters - they cant do it and arent trying so why be so afraid all the time?

Extremists from all religions are dangerous and scary. However normal muslims are peaceful and dont want to do the stuff you are saying.

Does that include Abu?

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 9th, 2012 at 12:49pm:
Did you read the thread? Did you read what i said? Geez. I said that in australia the muslims that want sharia law want it for themselves (muslims) not everyone in australia.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2012 at 12:15pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 1:37pm

Here you go spot, just in case you are still confused. This is what it looks like when Abu gives a straight answer about what he wants:

abu_rashid wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 6:12am:
I do not want a secular society, I want a society based on the true word of God.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 3:46pm

This is a load of bullshit. I dont speak for abu and you should have it out with him if you have problems with him. You are repeating yourself and still lying.

Quote:
Here you go spot, just in case you are still confused. This is what it looks like when Abu gives a straight answer about what he wants:

Already saw that and responded to it ages ago.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:26pm

Apparently Spot still can't tell the difference between impotence and benign intent:

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 at 3:18pm:
I havent seen any quoted of him saying he wants to destroy "democracy" and "freedom" anyway but listen - if he CANT and he accept that he cant and he wont then he doesnt want to (even if its because he cant)? thats logic not what you are saying - what you are saying isnt logic.

Can you explain this logic please Spot? Do you equate impotence with benign intent universally, or only for Muslims wanting to do evil things?

If you tell a child they cannot eat a lolly and they accept your authority, does that mean they no longer want to eat it?

If a Muslims wants apostates stoned to death but accepts his political impotence, does that mean they don't want it?

If a political party loses and election and accepts that the people have spoken, does that mean they no longer want to carry out their agenda?

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #10 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 8:14am

Quote:
If you tell a child they cannot eat a lolly and they accept your authority, does that mean they no longer want to eat it?

It certainly doesnt mean they are plotting to eat it - Do you think it does? Is that what kind of child you were?

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 8:20am

Spot we need to keep it very very simple with you. Let's start with what they want. Once you have mastered the ability to figure out what someone wants, based on nothing more than them directly telling you what they want, then we can move on to what they might be plotting.

freediver wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:26pm:
Apparently Spot still can't tell the difference between impotence and benign intent:

Spot of Borg wrote Yesterday at 4:18pm:
Quote:
I havent seen any quoted of him saying he wants to destroy "democracy" and "freedom" anyway but listen - if he CANT and he accept that he cant and he wont then he doesnt want to (even if its because he cant)? thats logic not what you are saying - what you are saying isnt logic.

Can you explain this logic please Spot? Do you equate impotence with benign intent universally, or only for Muslims wanting to do evil things?

If a Muslims wants apostates stoned to death but accepts his political impotence, does that mean they don't want it?

If a political party loses and election and accepts that the people have spoken, does that mean they no longer want to carry out their agenda?

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #12 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 8:33am

What do you want freediver? What do you want to happen to "muslims" in australia? What do you want for australia concerning your religion? Be honest now.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 8:38am

Nothing in particular. I believe in freedom of religion, remember?

Now, you are getting ahead of yourself and getting confused again. Have you figured out yet what the difference is between impotence and benign intent? Can you back up any of your claims to know what Abu wants? If you were wrong, perhaps you should just admit it. Denying you said those things just makes you look foolish and devious.

freediver wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:26pm:

Spot of Borg wrote Yesterday at 4:18pm:
Quote:

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #14 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 6:43am

Quote:
Nothing in particular. I believe in freedom of religion, remember?

That doesnt really answer my question does it? you go after abu with such vitriol you must want something for him? Do you want him deported maybe? Perhaps you want islam banned but keep xtianity?

Quote:
and getting confused again.

Yeah you do seem to get confused a lot

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print