Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Congrats to O'Farrell govt on WorkCover changes! (Read 5636 times)
Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Congrats to O'Farrell govt on WorkCover changes!
Jun 20th, 2012 at 8:27pm

Congratulations must go to the O'Farrell government on its changes to the WorkCover legislation in NSW. For far too long it has been costing NSW taxpayers far too much due to rorting by individuals who could/should be working but would rather be paid to do nothing. Despite the predictable Union scaremongering, those who need this the most will actually be BETTER OFF under the O'Farrell government's changes. At present, this scheme is costing NSW around $9 million per day. That's simply not sustainable. This legislation was originally designed to assist people back to work after injuries/illness, not a permanent welfare payment (except, obviously, for those clearly unable to work again). Premier O'Farrell, bravo!

See also a Daily Telegraph editorial on this subject below...

NOBODY objects to people being given a fair go. This is particularly the case when someone has suffered a workplace injury and is entitled to a deserved level of compensation.

But a fair go is very different from a free ride. As NSW's workplace compensation arrangements have evolved over decades, they have become increasingly vulnerable to overpayment and excessive timeframes for recovery.

Premier Barry O'Farrell is correct when he says the original and proper intention of workers compensation schemes was to assist workers to recover from their injuries and to return to gainful employment.

Instead, in too many cases injuries have led to virtual early retirement for the afflicted. The cost to the broader community is outrageous. According to government figures, the state is currently spending $9 million every day on workplace injury compensation.

There is another cost involved. That is to the self-respect and dignity of those being paid by the state despite being able to return to some form of work. Our creation of a virtual permanent welfare community is not a cause of pride.

At the same time, it is imperative that any reforms of workplace injury compensation laws maintain a fair go for those whose injuries legitimately remove them from all employment opportunities. These people require state care and should not be victimised.

Thankfully, Mr O'Farrell has indicated that people whose injuries leave them incapacitated will receive ongoing support. He appears to be striking a decent balance in what can be an extremely emotional area.

By contrast, union leaders sound as though they are fighting a battle from the dawn of the industrial age.

According to Unions NSW secretary Mark Lennon, the government's reforms represent the "biggest attack on working people in 100 years".

Give us a break, Mr Lennon. That kind of hyperbole helps nobody. It certainly doesn't help anyone get back to work.

Link: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/a-soft-touch-on-compo-adds-insult-...

Scott Morrison DID wipe the floor with Bull Shitten!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Re: Congrats to O'Farrell govt on WorkCover changes!
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 8:53pm

Four years ago he was working on the Kurnell desalination plant when he was crushed by a 300 tonne crane. Today he is missing half a foot, muscles from his thigh and half his abdomen.
He doubts he could get a job in the same industry again. While he waits, the medical costs pile up, and he watches his five kids grow up.
"My boys are at the age where they are starting to play rugby and it is hard not being able to get out there with them - when they want their dad to go out and play football it's not possible," he said.
NSW compo changes 'hit the vulnerable'
His regular medical bills include compression stockings, medication and prosthetics for his foot.
With the new caps on weekly benefits and medical costs, the future is uncertain.
"If I had my accident now it would be devastating. I would have lost everything if I lost medical payments," he said.
"There is no hope for injured workers now, and you are already treated like a criminal just because you are injured."
Wendy Lark from the Workplace Tragedy Group was at state parliament yesterday protesting against the changes to the entitlements of families of injured workers who will no longer be eligible to claim compensation for nervous shock or pain and suffering.
She said this was cruel - and would leave many families suffering.
"Politicians are blind to the tragedies that families actually undergo," she said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-news/barry-ofarrell-puts-the-boot-i...

IP Logged

Prevailing
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Stop Men
Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:35pm

Workcover my 'rse - there is no work insurance - they lie - they flog you into the dirt and leave you to die - the strong economy my butt, competition policy my butt, the Government my butt, corporations my butt, the Mafia my butt. Huh

I condemn Male Violence Against Women
The Government Supports Gynocide
There Is Something Dreadfully Wrong With Men

IP Logged

Prevailing
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Stop Men
Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:41pm

You can screw us, but we are going to be at you relentlessly making you pay...enjoy. Tongue Smiley

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:52pm

Liberals

"The tradition continues"

68 Years of attacking the most vulnerable disadvantaged people in our community.

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:55pm

Dnarever wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:52pm:
Liberals

68 Years of attacking the most vulnerable disadvantaged people in our community.

Wrong - those who are genuinely unable to return to work will actually have their payments INCREASED. Do the ALP and Greens intend to vote against an increase in payments from the NSW govt for these people who need it most?

IP Logged

Prevailing
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Stop Men
Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:58pm

Armchair_Politician wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:55pm:
Dnarever wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:52pm:
Liberals

Wrong - those who are genuinely unable to return to work will actually have their payments INCREASED. Do the ALP and Greens intend to vote against an increase in payments from the NSW govt for these people who need it most?

The truth is there is no work insurance, they are Mafia scum - its corrupt to the core. Tongue

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 10:07pm

Under the government's long-awaited reforms, unveiled on Tuesday, medical expenses and benefits will be capped, benefits reduced after 13 weeks, and claims for injury on journeys to and from work will also be abolished.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8486560/nsw-workcover-overhaul-not-retrospec...

IP Logged

Prevailing
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Stop Men
Re: Congrats to O'Fareyrell govt on WorkCover changes!
Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 10:14pm

There is no work insurance, they lie, they commit medical fraud - its corrupt private insurers that run these scams - its the Mafia its a joke. Tongue

IP Logged

Prevailing
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Stop Men
Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 10:22pm

Workers think the Government has them insured and covered if they are injured at work - its not true, you are in the hands of faceless global private insurance companies - the Mafia who only have one motive - not paying and profit. Cool

IP Logged

Prevailing
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Stop Men
Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 10:28pm

If you get injured or maimed at work, be warned, its on you, they will bury you, there is no limit to the Governments evil, you think you are covered but you are not, you are screwed if you are injured at work - so don't go the extra mile for the furkers and don't do them any favors. Tongue

IP Logged

Prevailing
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Stop Men
Reply #11 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 10:38pm

They have to make the strong economy somehow - and burying you when you are injured at work is just one way these maggots build the strong economy... Tongue

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 6:48am

Dnarever wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 10:07pm:
Under the government's long-awaited reforms, unveiled on Tuesday, medical expenses and benefits will be capped, benefits reduced after 13 weeks, and claims for injury on journeys to and from work will also be abolished.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8486560/nsw-workcover-overhaul-not-retrospec...

What's wrong with that? I assume you've got comprehensive and third party insurance, because if you don't then that is illegal.

IP Logged

Prevailing
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Stop Men
Reply #13 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 7:00am

Whats wrong with it is they don't want to ensure us for working for them, that is the bottom line building the Strong economy - one corpse at a time...and they are proud of what they do these Nazi mongrels. Tongue
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2012 at 7:17am by Prevailing »  

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 7:07am

Prevailing wrote on Jun 21st, 2012 at 7:00am:
Whats wrong with it is they don't want to ensure us for working for that is the bottom line building the Strong economy - one corpse at a time...and they are proud of what they do these Nazi mongrels. Tongue

Forgot to take your meds this morning?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print