Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Federal Government Marine Reserve (Read 5894 times)
Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Federal Government Marine Reserve
Jun 14th, 2012 at 3:59pm

http://www.news.com.au/travel/australia/marine-reserves-to-limit-fishing/story-e...

Quote:
    * Federal Government to limit fishing on special reserves
    * Environment group Pew says news "a turning point"
    * New marine sanctuaries will help "rapid growth" and new marine life

FISHING, oil and gas exploration are set to be limited when the Federal Government introduces a world-first network of marine reserves around Australia.

Environment Minister Tony Burke will release the final plan for 44 marine parks including the Coral Sea and the southwest coast of Western Australia today.

The new reserves will cover 3.1 million square kilometres, or a third of Australian waters.

The reserves will limit fishing and some oil and gas exploration.

Mr Burke will unveil the marine reserve maps at Sydney Aquarium this morning.

"This new network of marine reserves will help ensure that Australia's diverse marine environment and the life it supports, remain healthy, productive and resilient for future generations," Mr Burke told The Australian Financial Review.

The marine reserve announcement comes on the eve of the United Nations Rio+20 conference on sustainable development in Brazil and will give Prime Minister Julia Gillard a public relations boost.

Environment group Pew described the marine reserve plan as a "turning point" in marine protection.

Spokeswoman Michelle Grady said establishing large marine sanctuaries would lead to rapid growth in eco tourism and increased stocks of marine life.

"But critical areas remain vulnerable to the threat of oil spills, including the tourist mecca of Margaret River, the blue whale feeding grounds off South Australia's Kangaroo Island and the extraordinary coral reefs at Rowley Shoals off the Kimberley coast," she said.

The Australian Conservation Foundation chief executive Don Henry said the plan would make Australia a "global leader" in ocean protection.

"Although the reserve network bans oil and gas exploration in the Coral Sea, the northwest region has been left vulnerable to these threats," he said.

Commercial fishers are set to receive compensation from the Federal Government.

"We've got an adjustment policy where we will work case by case with the different companies involved," Mr Burke told ABC radio today.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Federal Government Marine Reserve
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 5:02pm

That's good news. I didn't think anyone was interested in preserving something for the next generations. Hopefully the little kiddies of 2080 will see a real live fishy. Unless America nuke us of course.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 5:12pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 5:02pm:
That's good news. I didn't think anyone was interested in preserving something for the next generations. Hopefully the little kiddies of 2080 will see a real live fishy. Unless America nuke us of course.

Or israel

Thing is i cant believe this is just for preserving the environment. There has to be some other reason.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

corporate_whitey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Archivist
Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 5:14pm

Which crime syndicates are trying to get control of our fisheries resources and what is the Governments involvement?

World Wide Working Class Struggle

IP Logged

corporate_whitey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Archivist
Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 5:17pm

I heard they are g Lips Sealedoing to squeeze the smaller fishing trawlers out and the shadowy business efforts are going to clear net whole sections of the oceans charging mega prices for huge profits, graft and bribery!

World Wide Working Class Struggle

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 6:30pm

Hope you don't mind me moving this thread to hunting and fishing.

corporate_whitey wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 5:17pm:
I heard they are g Lips Sealedoing to squeeze the smaller fishing trawlers out and the shadowy business efforts are going to clear net whole sections of the oceans charging mega prices for huge profits, graft and bribery!

That is actually a more efficient way of doing it. With modern technology, 1 boat can do the job that used to take ten boats. Government legislation has restricted open competition and propped up uncompetitive businesses. We should not be treating professional fishermen as some kind of charity.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 6:31pm

This Topic was moved here from Politicians Suck by freediver.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 6:34pm

Well its gillards policy and some liberal guy was just on tv saying how bad it was. I dunno.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 6:48pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 6:34pm:
Well its gillards policy and some liberal guy was just on tv saying how bad it was. I dunno.

SOB

of course he was ... what did you expect ?... preserve something for the future or destroy it for a quick profit ... which option do you think the libs are going to take?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 6:55pm

Right on cue:

Fishing industry slams marine park plan

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8483350

Australia's plan to set up the world's largest network of marine parks has been hailed as a major environmental step, but the fishing industry is reeling.

The minister will make a final decision on the plan following a 60-day consultation process, but warned the process would not involve shifting lines on maps.

Nationals leader Warren Truss said the plan to create 44 marine parks was aimed at giving Prime Minister Julia Gillard something to crow about at next week's United Nations environment summit in Brazil.

Mr Truss said the massive "no go zones" would shut out commercial and recreational fishers.

"When 'lock it up' is the government's approach to vast areas of Australia's territorial waters is it any wonder our supermarkets are overflowing with imported seafood?" he said.

The government proposes a $100 million compensation package for commercial fishing operators, with the details yet to come and funding provided on a case-by-case basis.

Ms Gillard said the marine plan would affect only about one per cent of current commercial fishing activity.

It is expected that the final marine reserves will be declared before the end of 2012.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 6:59pm

lol @ something to crow about. Im sure she has some reasons that we dont know about but im equally sure that isnt it. They say that about everything. Prolly projecting. A lot of work has obviously gone into this whatever its really for. I suspect its to distract from what is going to happen to the reef.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 7:01pm

I still can't help thinking there's something more behind it. Has it been on the back burner for some time? It's not like anyone was pressing for a gigantic marine reserve, were they? This is the first I've heard about it, but it's a pretty big deal for resource exploration and the fishing industry.

It just seems out of character for a right wing government to care about the environment unless they did a deal with the greens for something or other.

Anyway, I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

No one will read this thread in fishing.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 7:07pm

freediver wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 6:55pm:
Right on cue:

Fishing industry slams marine park plan

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8483350

Australia's plan to set up the world's largest network of marine parks has been hailed as a major environmental step, but the fishing industry is reeling.

The minister will make a final decision on the plan following a 60-day consultation process, but warned the process would not involve shifting lines on maps.

Nationals leader Warren Truss said the plan to create 44 marine parks was aimed at giving Prime Minister Julia Gillard something to crow about at next week's United Nations environment summit in Brazil.

Mr Truss said the massive "no go zones" would shut out commercial and recreational fishers.

"When 'lock it up' is the government's approach to vast areas of Australia's territorial waters is it any wonder our supermarkets are overflowing with imported seafood?" he said.

The government proposes a $100 million compensation package for commercial fishing operators, with the details yet to come and funding provided on a case-by-case basis.

Ms Gillard said the marine plan would affect only about one per cent of current commercial fishing activity.

It is expected that the final marine reserves will be declared before the end of 2012.

Considering the supermarkets are already full of imported fish, its a bit late to be using that excuse ..  the horse has bolted

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #13 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 7:34pm

Quote:
No one will read this thread in fishing.

Heh yeah i know - nm deathridesahorse maqqa and greens_win will start another one (each)

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 8:01pm

Quote:
I still can't help thinking there's something more behind it. Has it been on the back burner for some time? It's not like anyone was pressing for a gigantic marine reserve, were they?

Yes. There has been a big campaign from one of the NGOs pushing for this, especially in the coral see. It was even advertised on TV.

Quote:
It just seems out of character for a right wing government to care about the environment unless they did a deal with the greens for something or other.

It was the federal Labor government. In the past both parties have supported marine parks. The coalition gave us the great barrier reef marine park network, which at the time was the biggest in the world. Some state coalition and the federal coalition appear to be anti-marine park at the moment, but we are yet to see what this will mean in practice.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #15 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 7:57am

They arent really anti-marine park as much as they are anti-gillard. I have seen 2 spokesppl now saying how "this government" cant be trusted to do it right. Crap like that.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 8:16am

You don't know what you are talking about Spot. The marine park debate did not start yesterday.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #17 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 8:30am

freediver wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 8:16am:
You don't know what you are talking about Spot. The marine park debate did not start yesterday.

Well provide evidence of your argument. In fact how about telling me your argument. you obviously want to argue. What is your argument?

Obviously i am talking about the 2 spokesppl I have seen on TV. I know what they said. I am talking about them. you on the other hand are trying to provoke me again.  All you had to say was: "The marine park debate did not start yesterday." but no you had to add the front bit to try and piss me off.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 8:49am

I thought you might pay more attention to what you were posting if I included that bit. It seems to have worked.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #19 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:01am

freediver wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 8:49am:
I thought you might pay more attention to what you were posting if I included that bit. It seems to have worked.

so you didnt have a point? Figgers.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:06am

Not really spot. I was just correcting you.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #21 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 6:05pm

Burke officially declares marine reserves

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-16/burke-officially-declares-marine-reserves/4375644

Fishermen will be offered $100 million in compensation under the Government's plan to extend marine reserves to cover more than 2.3 million square kilometres of ocean environment.

Today's declaration of the marine parks officially puts into law new restrictions on what fishing and resources activities are allowed in certain areas.

The Government announced five draft marine reserves in June, saying it would consult with affected industries about how they should be implemented.

Environment Minister Tony Burke says the world's oceans are under serious threat, and the extension of marine protections will help deal with the growing problem.

"As of midnight tonight, Australia becomes the world leader in protection of the oceans," Mr Burke told reporters in Sydney this morning.

Under the plan, certain areas will be declared off limits to commercial fishing, while others will be protected from future oil and gas development.

Mr Burke acknowledges the plan will hurt the fishing industry, and has put forward a structural adjustment package to help the sector.

"The impact on wild catch fishing around Australia is in the order of around 1 per cent of their value of production," he said in explaining the compensation on offer.

The assistance package will include direct payments to fishing businesses based on their recent history in areas where the marine protections will come into force.

There will also be a buyback of some fishing quotas where the overall allowable catch has been reduced because of the new reserves.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #22 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 5:47am

freediver wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 8:01pm:
Quote:
I still can't help thinking there's something more behind it. Has it been on the back burner for some time? It's not like anyone was pressing for a gigantic marine reserve, were they?

Yes. There has been a big campaign from one of the NGOs pushing for this, especially in the coral see. It was even advertised on TV.

Quote:

It was the federal Labor government. In the past both parties have supported marine parks. The coalition gave us the great barrier reef marine park network, which at the time was the biggest in the world. Some state coalition and the federal coalition appear to be anti-marine park at the moment, but we are yet to see what this will mean in practice.

Pansi isnt stupid she knows who the government is.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Nov 18th, 2012 at 8:18am

So we are the 'world leader'! In other words we lead the world in gullability in going down this path. Note the largest park is in the Coral Sea, which the US based Pew Tust heaviliy campaigned for. When asked why Pew hasn't agitated for such a park in the the Gulf Of Mexico they said it would be too damaging for the US economy!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print