Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Federal Government Marine Reserve (Read 5882 times)
Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Re: Federal Government Marine Reserve
Reply #15 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 7:57am

They arent really anti-marine park as much as they are anti-gillard. I have seen 2 spokesppl now saying how "this government" cant be trusted to do it right. Crap like that.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 8:16am

You don't know what you are talking about Spot. The marine park debate did not start yesterday.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #17 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 8:30am

freediver wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 8:16am:
You don't know what you are talking about Spot. The marine park debate did not start yesterday.

Well provide evidence of your argument. In fact how about telling me your argument. you obviously want to argue. What is your argument?

Obviously i am talking about the 2 spokesppl I have seen on TV. I know what they said. I am talking about them. you on the other hand are trying to provoke me again.  All you had to say was: "The marine park debate did not start yesterday." but no you had to add the front bit to try and piss me off.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 8:49am

I thought you might pay more attention to what you were posting if I included that bit. It seems to have worked.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #19 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:01am

freediver wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 8:49am:
I thought you might pay more attention to what you were posting if I included that bit. It seems to have worked.

so you didnt have a point? Figgers.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:06am

Not really spot. I was just correcting you.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #21 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 6:05pm

Burke officially declares marine reserves

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-16/burke-officially-declares-marine-reserves/4375644

Fishermen will be offered $100 million in compensation under the Government's plan to extend marine reserves to cover more than 2.3 million square kilometres of ocean environment.

Today's declaration of the marine parks officially puts into law new restrictions on what fishing and resources activities are allowed in certain areas.

The Government announced five draft marine reserves in June, saying it would consult with affected industries about how they should be implemented.

Environment Minister Tony Burke says the world's oceans are under serious threat, and the extension of marine protections will help deal with the growing problem.

"As of midnight tonight, Australia becomes the world leader in protection of the oceans," Mr Burke told reporters in Sydney this morning.

Under the plan, certain areas will be declared off limits to commercial fishing, while others will be protected from future oil and gas development.

Mr Burke acknowledges the plan will hurt the fishing industry, and has put forward a structural adjustment package to help the sector.

"The impact on wild catch fishing around Australia is in the order of around 1 per cent of their value of production," he said in explaining the compensation on offer.

The assistance package will include direct payments to fishing businesses based on their recent history in areas where the marine protections will come into force.

There will also be a buyback of some fishing quotas where the overall allowable catch has been reduced because of the new reserves.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #22 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 5:47am

freediver wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 8:01pm:
Quote:
I still can't help thinking there's something more behind it. Has it been on the back burner for some time? It's not like anyone was pressing for a gigantic marine reserve, were they?

Yes. There has been a big campaign from one of the NGOs pushing for this, especially in the coral see. It was even advertised on TV.

Quote:
It just seems out of character for a right wing government to care about the environment unless they did a deal with the greens for something or other.

It was the federal Labor government. In the past both parties have supported marine parks. The coalition gave us the great barrier reef marine park network, which at the time was the biggest in the world. Some state coalition and the federal coalition appear to be anti-marine park at the moment, but we are yet to see what this will mean in practice.

Pansi isnt stupid she knows who the government is.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Nov 18th, 2012 at 8:18am

So we are the 'world leader'! In other words we lead the world in gullability in going down this path. Note the largest park is in the Coral Sea, which the US based Pew Tust heaviliy campaigned for. When asked why Pew hasn't agitated for such a park in the the Gulf Of Mexico they said it would be too damaging for the US economy!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print