Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A bit old but I can't find an update (Read 2453 times)
Lin

Australian Politics

A bit old but I can't find an update
Jun 13th, 2012 at 4:30pm

Crocodile Cull

Posted February 10, 2012 23:02:00

The Federal Government has put safari hunting of saltwater crocodiles back on the agenda with a proposal to allow the practice about to open for public comment. For some Indigenous land owners that's good news. They say safari hunting would create much needed economic opportunity out bush. But alarm bells are ringing for animal welfare groups who strongly oppose any plan for safari hunting
Louisa Rebgetz

Source: 7.30 NT | Duration: 7min 20sec

I lived in Karumba on the Gulf of Carpentaria from 1984 to 1987. At that time there was a crocodile farm approx 350 kms to the North and they had a strange procedure. In the wild only around 1% of hatchlings make it they are predated by snakes, fish and their own daddies. At the farm they would raise their broods until they were of a size that would mean predators would have less success, at that point there would be a culling, only the crocs with the best potential would be kept. The rest were taken out and released into the wild. I knew one barramundi fisherman who decided to retire after his creek was used as the major release ground.
I think that we should designate areas where the croc can live and maybe include some tourism there but definitely bring back hunting.
We need to remember that humans are vectors of nature and so sometimes can cause extinction and perhaps protect against that - sometimes extinction could be desirable as in harmful bacteria. If anyone can tell me why the extinction of crocodiles except in a few protected environments, would be detrimental, please tell me?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: A bit old but I can't find an update
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 6:06pm

I think there are more barra, or they are easier to catch, in croc infested waters. The crocs keep the catfish under control or something like that. Getting rid of all the crocs would cause a major upset to the environment up there.

I support sustainable harvests of them though. We want the crocs to be scared of people.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Re: A bit old but I can't find an update
Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 6:11pm

CROC POPULATIONS ARE MEANT TO EXPLODE BECAUSE CANE TOADS GET EATEN BY GOANNAS... AND SINCE THE GOANNAS NATURALLY EAT THE CROC EGGS THAT NATURALLY INHIBITED THE CROCODILE POPULATION SIZES BUT WHEN THEY DIE FROM EATING CANE TOADS THE CROC POPULATIONS ARE SET TO EXPLODE!

APPARENTLY.

WE CAN ONLY HOPE THERE ISN'T A SEPERATE EFFECT AT PLAY HERE....

..OR PERHAPS ALL THIS NOISE SIMPLY MEANS THEY ARE GETTING READY FOR THE ABOVE EFFECT!!

Huh Huh

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print