Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 27
Send Topic Print
Why R Homos and Greens so rude? (Read 18444 times)
Uncle Meat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Tasmania
Re: Why R Homos and Greens so rude?
Reply #330 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:24pm

Quantum wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:07am:
As far as I know our society currently does not accept homosexual marriage anymore than it accepts incestuous ones. Both are outlawed. You have not outlined an argument for why one should now be accepted while the other one shouldn't.

Pretty simple.

Our society accepts homosexual relationships.

Our society does not accept incestuous relationships.

If we accept homosexual relationships, we can accept homosexual marriage.

Seeing as we don't accept incestuous relationships, there's no reason to even discuss incestuous marriage.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #331 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 6:05am

MOTR wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 7:12pm:
Quantum wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:07am:
MOTR wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 4:00am:
The above argument could be used to argue against any subgroup you like. I've picked on interracial marriages because they have been banned under numerous jurisdictions in the past, as they were seen to be against the will of God. Our society accepts homosexual and interracial relationships, we do not accept incestuous relationships.

So the argument is basically; what ever our society accepts makes it ok, and what it doesn't accept is wrong?

As far as I know our society currently does not accept homosexual marriage anymore than it accepts incestuous ones. Both are outlawed. You have not outlined an argument for why one should now be accepted while the other one shouldn't.

On a side note; I am somewhat confused as to why you took issue with people using incest as an example (because it was somehow offensive to compare it with homosexual marriage), when you have now done the same thing with comparing interracial marriage and homosexual marriage. To quote;

"For the two arguments to be "almost" identical they would have to have "almost" identical premises. It's the implied premise I find offensive."

Interracial is not the same gender (at the moment). The removal of gender from marriage is a much bigger barrier to overcome than the question of skin colour. In fact, incest is even a smaller barrier than homosexual marriage. We actually already allow relations to marry in our society today, it is just a question of how closely related these two people can be before it becomes wrong. (of course not everyone agrees on how close is too close, even if the law at the moment has set a line.)

I said homosexual relationships are accepted by our society, incestuous relationships are not.

Nor paedophilia

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #332 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 8:30am

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #333 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 9:15am

Gay relationships are not accepted by society at all.

How many times do you or your friends use the phrase 'queer' or 'poofter' to make fun of a guy in jest?

Alot I imagine.

"what do you reckon to these new football boots I got?"
"They are bright red. You fking queer!"

That's the norm.

Thinking two ponces together is a normal relationship is anything but society's accepted norm my friend and you know it.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

MOTR
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #334 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 10:21am

It's legal and the vast majority of us don't have the same sexual hang ups as you obviously do, Andrei.

Don't you have any gay friends?

Hunt says Coalition accepts IPCC findings

"What does this mean? It means that we need to do practical things that actually reduce emissions."

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #335 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 5:26pm

MOTR wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 6:47pm:
longweekend58 wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 9:14am:
MOTR wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 1:28am:
longweekend58 wrote on Jun 13th, 2012 at 8:06pm:
MOTR wrote on Jun 13th, 2012 at 7:26pm:
Those claiming some sort of equivalency between pedophilia and homosexuality are as offensive as a those who compare interracial sex to bestiality.

sigh. no one and I repeat NO ONE is comparing the two behaviours. they are comparing the supporting arguments and finding they are almost identical.

THAT IS THE ARGUMENT

It's a long thread, Longy, I might have missed the post, but I have yet to see you make this argument. I've seen you jump to this conclusion, but I've yet to see you make the argument. For the two arguments to be "almost" identical they would have to have "almost" identical premises. It's the implied premise I find offensive.

grandmaster and I have bothe been making the same point: that the arguments used in favour of gay marriage are the same that could be used in support of incest etc. Both of us are saying that the gay marriage arguments presented are so far, unpersuasive. You may beieve in gay marriage and clearly you do, but the arguments for it however are not very convincing beyong 'I support it'. And of course, that is your right. What we are saying is that dont pretend that your position is based on overwhelming argument. it isnt.

Again you are implying some sort of equivalency between homosexuality and incest. One is accepted by mainstream society, the other is not. The argument you are using could be used to outlaw homosexual acts not just marriages. We accepted homosexuality but we don't accept incest, so clearly we are capable of making a legal and moral distinction.

How about you pretend you are sitting a critical reasoning exam and outline your argument.

50 years ago they were treated the same - with disgust. We have outlined our argument many times. Quite simply the pro-gay-marriage crowd are using identical arguments to those which could also apply to legilising incest. Its not even a criticiam of gar marriage per se. it is a criticism of THE ARGUMENT. it is a very weak one and pretty much boils down to a tantruym wanting what someone else has but not being willing to full the membership requirements.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #336 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 5:29pm

MOTR wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 4:00am:
The above argument could be used to argue against any subgroup you like. I've picked on interracial marriages because they have been banned under numerous jurisdictions in the past, as they were seen to be against the will of God. Our society accepts homosexual and interracial relationships, we do not accept incestuous relationships.

but WHY not? after all, the arguments for gay mariage or homosecuality itself are the same as for incest. Does community acceptance of a behaviour imply it is right? After all, in the 1950s pedophilia was 'not talked about' thereby given it tacit approval which is why it flourished. was that ok?

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

MOTR
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #337 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 6:02pm

You're one very sad individual, Longy. You might long for a time when homosexuals were treated with disgust, but we have moved on as a society. And to reconstruct the 50s as a time of social acceptance of pedophilia, is just plain nutty.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2012 at 6:35pm by MOTR »  

"What does this mean? It means that we need to do practical things that actually reduce emissions."

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #338 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 6:54pm

Heh i see the example has changed from 30 years to 50 years. I have no idea what it was like 50 years ago but im guessing neither does anyone else here.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Peter Freedman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Wellington
Reply #339 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 11:38pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 9:15am:

How many times do you or your friends use the phrase 'queer' or 'poofter' to make fun of a guy in jest?

Alot I imagine.

"what do you reckon to these new football boots I got?"
"They are bright red. You fking queer!"

That's the norm.

Thinking two ponces together is a normal relationship is anything but society's accepted norm my friend and you know it.

Penises are not accepted by society at all.

How many times do you or your friends use the word "prick" or "dickhead" to make fun of a guy in jest?

A lot I imagine.

"What do you reckon to this new trouser snake I've got?"

"It's just your old one, you dickhead, what a silly prick you are...."

That's the norm.

Thinking a penis is normal is anything but society's accepted norm, my friend, and you know it.

As for the four-letter word used to describe a woman's vagina, well, we won't even start on THAT one.

God grant me the patience to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and, above all, the wisdom to tell the difference.

IP Logged

MOTR
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #340 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 7:05am

Well put, Peter. You've made my day.

IP Logged

Peter Freedman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Wellington
Reply #341 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 11:01am

No problem, MOTR.

I'll drop in from time to time. But I won't be as regular as before. There is far too much abuse and too many personal insults around here for my taste. It's a pity, this forum could be so good and is being dragged down by a small group of extremely active people who ensure thread after thread totally loses track and just becomes an unpleasant slanging match.

God grant me the patience to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and, above all, the wisdom to tell the difference.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #342 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 11:09am

Peter Freedman wrote on Jun 17th, 2012 at 11:01am:
No problem, MOTR.

I'll drop in from time to time. But I won't be as regular as before. There is far too much abuse and too many personal insults around here for my taste. It's a pity, this forum could be so good and is being dragged down by a small group of extremely active people who ensure thread after thread totally loses track and just becomes an unpleasant slanging match.

BTW Valley Boy says to tell longy he quit voluntarily and wasnt banned or anything.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Uncle Meat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Tasmania
Reply #343 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 11:23am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 9:15am:

Generally they are accepted.

It's only a small minority of people who don't accept gay relationships.

You need to get out more.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #344 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 1:29pm

MOTR wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 6:02pm:
You're one very sad individual, Longy. You might long for a time when homosexuals were treated with disgust, but we have moved on as a society. And to reconstruct the 50s as a time of social acceptance of pedophilia, is just plain nutty.

TRY READING what I am saying NOT what you think I am saying. those of us with the ability to think beyond the level of a 5yo see that the pro gay marriage argument is no different to the pro incest argument. so for the sake of repeating YET AGAIN, we are not debating gay marriage per se but discussing te weakness of the argument.

My example of the experienc of 50 years ago was to underline my point. Im disappointed you cant see past your rainbow-colored glasses to see what we are ACTUALLY talking about.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 27
Send Topic Print