Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Should Young Children be Checked for Mental Illness?

« Created by: Sir Spot of Borg on: Jun 10th, 2012 at 2:03pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Should Young Children be Checked for Mental Illnes (Read 9776 times)
angeleyes
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Should Young Children be Checked for Mental Illnes
Reply #45 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 1:27pm

Are women that play mens sport androgynous?

Are men that play womens sport androgynous?

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #46 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 1:52pm

freediver wrote on Jun 10th, 2012 at 3:17pm:
Sounds like a good idea for me, especially if there are early intervention type treatments or therapeutics that could improve their life. There are also a lot of genetic disorders that are no immediately apparent at birth that should be screened for, once the technology is sufficiently advance. This is especially true for the ones that are treatable.

I agree 100%.
My wife had a child in her care whom she identified as being in her opinion, autistic.
She spoke to the parents, and asked if they had sought any medical advice about their child's behavioural issues.
They told her they had, as their best friend was also a highly respected paediatrician, and he had said it was nothing to worry about, probably just a stage he was going through.
These people were for want of a better word, yuppies, with social aspirations that did not include having a child with any imperfections, as they saw it, so denial was the primary driver of their opinions.
My wife however had to consider the welfare of their child, as well as all the others he was interacting with, so she called in a professional, to observe the group this child was in.
All he was told was that she believed one of the children in the group may have developmental issues.

TWO minutes, he watched them, and said, that child is autistic.
Parents called in, forced to address the issue, child gets treatment, his developmental potential increase dramatically, because he receives treatment at an early age.

I understand why people get suspicious of quackery, where every misbehaving child is assigned a label to absolve the parents of any responsibility for raising a little poo of a kid, but the truth is that most professionals do not do that, and will just try and get treatment for the kids who treatment will help.
I cannot see any down side to that.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:00pm

mozzaok wrote on Jun 11th, 2012 at 1:52pm:
freediver wrote on Jun 10th, 2012 at 3:17pm:
Sounds like a good idea for me, especially if there are early intervention type treatments or therapeutics that could improve their life. There are also a lot of genetic disorders that are no immediately apparent at birth that should be screened for, once the technology is sufficiently advance. This is especially true for the ones that are treatable.

I agree 100%.
My wife had a child in her care whom she identified as being in her opinion, autistic.
She spoke to the parents, and asked if they had sought any medical advice about their child's behavioural issues.
They told her they had, as their best friend was also a highly respected paediatrician, and he had said it was nothing to worry about, probably just a stage he was going through.
These people were for want of a better word, yuppies, with social aspirations that did not include having a child with any imperfections, as they saw it, so denial was the primary driver of their opinions.
My wife however had to consider the welfare of their child, as well as all the others he was interacting with, so she called in a professional, to observe the group this child was in.
All he was told was that she believed one of the children in the group may have developmental issues.

TWO minutes, he watched them, and said, that child is autistic.
Parents called in, forced to address the issue, child gets treatment, his developmental potential increase dramatically, because he receives treatment at an early age.

I understand why people get suspicious of quackery, where every misbehaving child is assigned a label to absolve the parents of any responsibility for raising a little poo of a kid, but the truth is that most professionals do not do that, and will just try and get treatment for the kids who treatment will help.
I cannot see any down side to that.

its  GOOD EXAMPLE. childhood mental problems do exist and sometimes the ONLY cures exists as preschoolers or preteens. early intervention is the best cure.

I acknowledge some of the concenrs about over-diagnosis or misdiagnosis but that same probem ovvers in every area of medical care.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #48 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:05pm

On the TV they are talking about night lights and bedwetting though.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:13pm

Yes, bedwetting and nightlights. I don't think they are going to be looking for a more sinister diagnosis. I still say it's a rort. There will be hundreds of misdiagnosis causing parents unnecessary anxiety.

Gee! my five year old still wets the bed, I wish someone would have intervened when he was three.

My eight year old still has a night light. Big freaking deal, let him have it until he's 25, who cares?

They are trying to make normal things abnormal, it's stupid.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #50 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:21pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:13pm:

Yes, you're right.  However, "they" are also trying to make abnormal things normal.

What's their game?

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #51 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:23pm

... wrote on Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:21pm:

Yes, you're right.  However, "they" are also trying to make abnormal things normal.

What's their game?

What abnormal things?

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #52 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:33pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jun 10th, 2012 at 2:03pm:
WTH? As young as 3? How the heck can they tell @ that age if a child has a mental illness? That is ridiculous. Hate to be a godwin but hitler did this kind of crap. A lot of our mental health knowledge comes from his experiments.

SOB

THEY ARE SELLING PILLS...

These people take money to assasinate peoples character (mummy and daddys all over the shop love this bit!!) and sell pills!

IT'S A WIN WIN WIN FOR THE CABAL!!!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:35pm

Yes, bedwetting and nightlights. I don't think they are going to be looking for a more sinister diagnosis. I still say it's a rort. There will be hundreds of misdiagnosis causing parents unnecessary anxiety.

Gee! my five year old still wets the bed, I wish someone would have intervened when he was three.

My eight year old still has a night light. Big freaking deal, let him have it until he's 25, who cares?

to be fair, bedwetting can be an indicator of serious problems. In the vast majority of cases, bedwetting means nothing other than developmental delay (if that). but it CAN also be a sign of serious internal malfunction. for example, did you know that EVERY SINGLE MALE SOCIOPATH was an adult bedwetter?

It's not the bedwetting but rather what it MIGHT indicate. After all is there any parent still onthe planet that is unaware that a traumatised kid is likely to wet the bed????

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:36pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:23pm:

What's their game?

What abnormal things?

SOB

people like you.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #55 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:36pm

iGNORANT MUMMIES AND DADDIES WHO ENGAGE IN CHARACTER ASSASINATION GENERALLY GET HURT!

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

9-11 happened: the arrogant get dominated by the arrogant!

THE BABY BOOMER GENERATION STOPPED LAUGHING ABOUT THE MIGHT OF 'THE BOMB' AFTER 9-11  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Embarrassed Embarrassed

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #56 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:36pm

What's their game?

What abnormal things?

SOB

Homosexuality for example. Wink

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #57 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:38pm

... wrote on Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:36pm:

What's their game?

What abnormal things?

SOB

I doubt very much they are teaching 3 year olds homosexuality or even assessing them for it.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #58 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:38pm

What's their game?

What abnormal things?

SOB

IT'S A CHOICE!

IT'S LEARNED BEHAVIOUR SO HOW DOES ONE CHECK FOR THAT WHEN IT HASN'T BEEN LEARNT AT THREE YEARS OLD???

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:39pm

What's their game?

What abnormal things?

SOB

So says the pedo priests and your good self, so that must be right.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print