Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
aboriginal discrimination (Read 8357 times)
FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: aboriginal discrimination
Reply #75 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 3:57pm

Bowen wrote on Nov 3rd, 2012 at 3:30pm:
Can you tell me how many aboriginals speak English and how many speak their own language? I don't know about it.

I think the solution depends on the conditions. If most of them speak English, I think it's ok to teach them in English.

FriYAY wrote on Nov 3rd, 2012 at 3:18pm:
I agree with the bold, but the highlighted is a complete contradiction.

Teaching abo's ancient tribal languages has and always will be a waste if time.

They, like anyone, need good English language skills to find employment and self empowerment away from welfare dependence.

No i don't know the numbers, most i would say would speak english, definately all of the more urbanised. There would still be some traditional areas that speak their own language. But i don't know any facts.

You know there has always been a strong Aborigional presence in my area and i could not take you to one shop/store/business that has Abo working there. Except for indigenous specific businesses.

They don't like school, didn't even like the special Abo only schools that have just been closed.

My other half spent many years in Darwin, she recons to get them to school you need to promise them a good feed.

IP Logged

Bowen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 4:12pm

I think the main problem is how to convince Aboriginals to learn modern knowledge no matter in English or their own language.

Maybe we need more volunteers who can speak English and Aboriginal language to communicate with them.

Before we help them, we have to understand them. Otherwise we have no chance.

FriYAY wrote on Nov 3rd, 2012 at 3:57pm:
Can you tell me how many aboriginals speak English and how many speak their own language? I don't know about it.

I think the solution depends on the conditions. If most of them speak English, I think it's ok to teach them in English.

They, like anyone, need good English language skills to find employment and self empowerment away from welfare dependence.

No i don't know the numbers, most i would say would speak english, definately all of the more urbanised. There would still be some traditional areas that speak their own language. But i don't know any facts.

You know there has always been a strong Aborigional presence in my area and i could not take you to one shop/store/business that has Abo working there. Except for indigenous specific businesses.

They don't like school, didn't even like the special Abo only schools that have just been closed.

My other half spent many years in Darwin, she recons to get them to school you need to promise them a good feed.

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 4:31pm

Yes, convincing to go to scholl and learn is the main problem.

There are 100's (possibly more) traditional languages. If they want knowledge and jobs they need to learn English.

Understand them? I imagine many of them hate us and wish we never came here.

Bowen wrote on Nov 3rd, 2012 at 4:12pm:
I think the main problem is how to convince Aboriginals to learn modern knowledge no matter in English or their own language.

Maybe we need more volunteers who can speak English and Aboriginal language to communicate with them.

Before we help them, we have to understand them. Otherwise we have no chance.

FriYAY wrote on Nov 3rd, 2012 at 3:57pm:

IP Logged

Big Dave
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 4:34pm

Education means nothing when aborigines live out in the middle of the bush where there's no jobs. They tried giving them cattle properties years ago and that didn't work.

IP Logged

Bowen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 9:47pm

I believe it's hard. But there should be a method to encourage them to save themselves.

Yes, they maybe hate. But if we can explain that for their own safety, welfare and interest, they need to learn some modern knowledge, maybe some of them can understand.

I'm not quite sure.

Big Dave wrote on Nov 3rd, 2012 at 4:34pm:
Education means nothing when aborigines live out in the middle of the bush where there's no jobs. They tried giving them cattle properties years ago and that didn't work.

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 1:27pm

No responsibility doesn’t help.

Just throw your crap everywhere and the YT will pay to clean it up.

This place – Namatjira Avenue has been a cesspit since it opened up.

>>>>>>>>

ABOUT $50,000 has been allocated by the NSW Environment Protection Authority to clean up acres of bushland used as a dumping ground in the Namatjira mission.

The Namatjira Clean Up Program, a partnership between the Dareton Local Aboriginal Land Council (LALC) and the Far West Local Health District, officially began yesterday, with several workers lending a helping hand.

Bushland at the rear of Namatjira Avenue has been used as a dumping ground for some months until it reached the point that the Dareton LALC had to take action.

Pam Handy, of the Dareton LALC, said the project had been in the pipeline for a number of months and the group was delighted to finally start works.

“The project is funded by the NSW Environment Protection Authority and administered by the Wentworth Shire Council,” Ms Handy said. “We have the BMEET clean-up team providing the labour and 12 locals from right across the shire.”

An “appalled” member of the public recently contacted Sunraysia Daily about the “dump” urging those responsible for the land to do something about it.

Ms Handy said she was disappointed at the anonymous resident, who failed to find out any information about the project.

“We held a community meeting last Tuesday and have held them in the past, so if people had any concerns, why didn’t they come to them or Dareton LALC?” she asked.

“Firstly, many people in the mission don’t have a car registration or licence and secondly, the costs to dump your rubbish are sky high and are far too expensive in general for any resident.

>>>>>

Still plenty of $$ to get blind drunk. Angry Angry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print